UV & Storing Club Boats out doors

gsl...@gmail.com

Dec 23, 2015, 7:44:48 PM12/23/15
How important is it to cover boats if they are stored outdoors?

Our club tends to keep our boats for a long time--a large number are over 10 years and we have several from the 90's. Certainly some are clearly in bad shape but others not so much.

These are club boats that are not very well cared for in general.

I assume it depends on a lot of things.

Jim Dwyer

Dec 23, 2015, 8:34:02 PM12/23/15
In London Ontario the newly constructed Thames River dam malfunctioned and a
lawsuit has prevented it being repaired. Our boats have been stored outside
at Lake Fanshawe for the past 10 years while our boathouse on the river
remains empty. The boats show excessive wear due to exposure to the
elements. I believe it is very important for the boats to be stored inside.

Please like and share our Facebook page so we can get back into our
boathouse on the river.

https://www.facebook.com/fixthedam

Comments would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

Jim Dwyer

don Vickers

Dec 24, 2015, 7:20:52 AM12/24/15
Covering the shells is clearly best to protect the shells from the elements but applying auto wax to the shells will help extend the life of the surface. Yes, the wax will cause the water flow over the shell to less optimal and slow the boat ever so much but I suspect these boats are not used in super critical races.

don Vickers

carl

Dec 24, 2015, 10:35:12 AM12/24/15
There are maybe 4 types of boat finish - polyester gel-coat, epoxy
gel-coat, 2-component polyurethane & "other" finishes. All are to some
degree impaired by long exposure to UV, which attacks chemical bonds
which link their molecules into hard polymers.

The "other" category includes everything from traditional "drying oil"
paints & lacquers to oil-modified polyurethanes, all of them
single-component air-curing materials. Some cure by reaction with, or
catalysis by, airborne moisture. Others cure by slow cross-linking
aided by oxygen. Often these materials are softer & some may blister
through exposure to combined or alternate sunlight & moisture -
especially if on wood which can itself get damp through unprotected
scrapes & crevices. These finishes retain certain oily characteristics
& in general cannot be successfully over-painted with 2-component materials.

The three fully-synthetic systems are generally more UV resistant, but
again there are limits. Over time, colours will fade or go chalky,
clear finishes may lose optical clarity, all may start to degenerate.
For boats which sit at anchor - rowing shells do not - there is the
further hazard of UV reflection off the water which intensifies the dose.

In all cases, the answer is to protect from direct sunlight with boat
covers, tents or, best of all, sheds. Unprotected outdoor storage is
sure to cause deterioration of the finishes, not to mention the
corrosive effects of bird crap & vulnerability to falling & moving objects.

One question: why is it that club boats, for which the club once paid a
considerable sum, are considered a lower form of life. If the club does
not have boats which it keeps in good nick, then how can it hope to do
well. Regular maintenance protects your assets & increases pride &
performance within the club

Cheers -
Carl

--
Carl Douglas Racing Shells -
Fine Small-Boats/AeRoWing Low-drag Riggers/Advanced Accessories

Chip Johannessen

Dec 28, 2015, 8:11:48 PM12/28/15
I have two boats, a single and a double, both stored outside under Burnham sunbrella covers that protect the hull. But the skegs are still exposed to sunlight, and in the case of the 2x this means a piece of carbon fiber with a clear finish is blasted by southern California UV day in and day out.

I suppose I could put a sock over the skeg, but has anyone found a neat solution to this?

Happy 2016.

gsl...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2015, 7:55:03 PM12/29/15
Thanks all. Responses are pretty much what I expected.

The boats are on a dock so they do get some reflection off the water.

Most of the good boats are stored indoors--we have two good 8+s outdoors the best of which I just bought a cover for. The novice boats are outdoors and they tend to get beaten up. A lot of the abuse is due to club culture. It used to be better when we had a coach who really got on people for doing something wrong. If someone docked poorly she would make them go out and dock three times with her watching and giving instruction. Same if they were not carrying it properly. It doesn't happen anymore.

Most of my argument for covers is that I think it engenders care for the equipment.

Henry Law

Dec 30, 2015, 5:11:08 AM12/30/15
On 30/12/15 00:55, gsl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Same if they were not carrying it properly. It doesn't happen anymore.

To hell with cloning dogs; we need to clone Sully.

--

Henry Law Manchester, England

carl

Dec 30, 2015, 9:41:42 AM12/30/15
On 30/12/2015 10:11, Henry Law wrote:
> On 30/12/15 00:55, gsl...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Same if they were not carrying it properly. It doesn't happen anymore.
>
> To hell with cloning dogs; we need to clone Sully.

By which you mean: The Original Boathouse Bitch?

I'll chip in to sponsor that :) Every club needs one.

Cheers and a very happy, peaceful & successful New Year to all -

carl

Dec 30, 2015, 9:42:33 AM12/30/15