Blisters

bk

May 23, 2005, 8:57:25 AM5/23/05
If blister areas are to become calluses, is it best to pop? I have ignored
them, but some have been torn open.

simonk

May 23, 2005, 9:10:08 AM5/23/05
"bk" <thel...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> If blister areas are to become calluses, is it best to pop? I have ignored
> them, but some have been torn open.

Better to pop under controlled circumstances, IME, than to have them shred
themselves apart on a filthy oar handle next outing.

I pop them with a sterile needle, then trim the skin off with a small, clean
pair of scissors, rinse under the tap and then stick a hydrocolloid dressing
on. If I'm rowing the next day I cover up the HC dressing with lots of
micropore tape.

Usually within 48 hours the blister's sufficiently healed to be able to
slice chillies without excruciating pain ...

Sarah

May 23, 2005, 9:25:07 AM5/23/05
do a google search on this topic in r.s.r and see all the wonderful
advice that has been given on this in the past - several doctors and
other such experts have given their opinions on the risks etc of
popping...

andy....@ps.ge.com

May 23, 2005, 9:47:31 AM5/23/05
removing them is best in my experience, but usually best to remove them
with sharp scissors rather than just ripping them off...

In cold weather use some hand cream with lanolin (eg nivea) to stop the
skin cracking, as cracked skin is far worse than the blisters.

J Flory

May 23, 2005, 9:50:29 AM5/23/05
I agree but I use a slightly different protocol. After a post-workout
shower, I snip them with small sharp clean scissors (e.g. Swiss Army
knife ones) and then cover for about 12 hours with a Bandaid with
Neosporin or Bacitracin antibiotic on it (this is why sterility of the
scissors isn't critical). I then uncover them overnight. This helps
the area dry out and harden up, plus I believe bacteria found in
infections don't like oxygen (?). If I'm rowing the following day I
apply strips of athletic tape. Over the next few days I gradually trim
away the dead skin as the underlying layer develops.

Calluses may eventually develop in the same area but seem to be
multiple layers of skin that adhere to each other. A blister is more
like a delamination, the skin there will be lost.

Calluses seem to grow. It's important to keep calluses trimmed to
maintain flexibility in the area so that blisters don't develop UNDER
them. BTW, trimming calluses grosses out most spectators. An
effective way to turf unwanted visitors out of my office at work is to
just whip out my Swiss Army knife and get to work, the visitors simply
vanish and tranquility descends again.

simonk

May 23, 2005, 10:18:06 AM5/23/05

"J Flory" <john....@snet.net> wrote in message

> I agree but I use a slightly different protocol. After a post-workout
> shower, I snip them with small sharp clean scissors (e.g. Swiss Army
> knife ones) and then cover for about 12 hours with a Bandaid with
> Neosporin or Bacitracin antibiotic on it (this is why sterility of the
> scissors isn't critical).

Uhuh - we're not allowed antibiotics over here (UK) so it's a spell in a gas
flame for the nail scissors, and a dunk in the antiseptic solution.

(I can almost hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth coming from the medics
...)

Ewoud Dronkert

May 23, 2005, 11:07:22 AM5/23/05

Or try http://www.cs.vu.nl/~a3aan/Roeien/Misc/blisters.txt

--
Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/

andy....@ps.ge.com

May 23, 2005, 11:19:08 AM5/23/05
it's probably wise not to eat crisps straight after taking the blister
off...

...jaffa cakes are ok though.

mart...@carr12331.freeserve.co.uk

May 23, 2005, 11:51:35 AM5/23/05
Having been rowing now for too long my hands are callused in all the
right places and I rarely get blisters. (usually only when swopping
sides when sweep rowing).

I've sat in a few rowing club committee meetings in my time when
someone's been going on too long or its a dull subject and you can scan
the room and see most folk absent mindedly picking away at their hands

Wierd - No one comments at this actviity in our little world but as J
Flory says its viewed with disgust outside !

Martin

Steven M-M

May 23, 2005, 12:45:45 PM5/23/05

All good advice. For the past year I've been using "Liquid
Band-aid" or "New Skin" rather than traditional coverings (these
may be US brand names). Both products promote healing and will stand up
to a rowing workout. "Liquid band-aid" is much more expensive but
doesn't sting as much as "new skin." I even put "liquid
band-aid" on potential blister spots prior to a 42k row and that
seemed to help reduce (but not eliminate) blisters.

Steven M-M

liz

May 23, 2005, 2:56:09 PM5/23/05
used to use "new skin" years ago when i was rowing at college - but only
after clamping a wooden spoon between one's teeth to bite down on.

not a dissimilar sensation to applying nail varnish remover to raw flesh...

euw...

"Steven M-M" <s...@ku.edu> wrote in message

simonk

May 23, 2005, 4:46:59 PM5/23/05
liz wrote:

> used to use "new skin" years ago when i was rowing at college - but only
> after clamping a wooden spoon between one's teeth to bite down on.
>
> not a dissimilar sensation to applying nail varnish remover to raw flesh...
>
> euw...

This

http://www.mypharmacy.co.uk/health_products/products/c/compeed/compeed_liquid_
bandage.htm

looks a bit more promising. Hydrocolloid dressings are great, but getting
them to stick properly on awkwardly-placed blisters (like the ones you get
from rowing with a funny grip because you've already got blisters in other
places on your hands) is a bit tricky

--
simonk

Steven M-M

May 23, 2005, 9:29:50 PM5/23/05
Liz -- I think you'll find the liquid band-aid hardly stings at all.
The stuff I use comes with individual swab applicators and a small vial
of the superglue like stuff. Apt description of "new skin" on a popped
blister! smm

carol...@aol.com

May 24, 2005, 7:34:47 AM5/24/05
Better still, avoid getting blisters in the first place by not gripping
the blades so tightly.

Caroline

carol...@aol.com

May 24, 2005, 7:34:52 AM5/24/05

Kieran

May 24, 2005, 10:15:00 AM5/24/05

That product *is* what others are calling "liquid band-aid". "Band-Aid"
is the Johnson and Johnson trademark name for plasters/bandages here in
the USA. J&J make "Liquid Band-Aid" and in the UK they sell it under
the brand name "Compeed" as "Liquid Bandage".

-Kieran

Kieran

May 24, 2005, 10:21:11 AM5/24/05

I will argue this with anyone, any time. There are some people who just
get blisters, regardless of their grip. It has to do with their skin
and it's propensity for blisters or callouses, or the lack thereof.
Personally, after developing callouses, I wouldn't get blisters much at
all. However, a particularly grueling or long workout would often
result in one or two, especially if my callouses were not trimmed up.
Some rowers however, would get them all the time, even with a nice good
loose grip (Especially with certain tan rubber C2 grips on the oars!)

Also, if you've stopped rowing for a while, no matter your grip, you
WILL get blisters when you start up again. I row only seldomly these
days (once every couple months maybe), and as a result get blisters
nearly every outing. I erg a fair amount, but that doesn't help.

-Kieran

Peter

May 24, 2005, 11:16:22 AM5/24/05
I never see this recomended but I found it to be the best approach by far.

1. insert needle into skin just beyond border of blister area
2. push needle under the edge of the blister and up into the reservoir of
fluid
3. drain by squidging the intact blister about a bit
4. repeat multiple needle inserts at various locations if required to
completely empty.
5. LEAVE BLISTER INTACT to protect the skin
6. if they come up again, repeat procedure

During subsequent outings the skin forming the blister sticks back on to
where it separated from. You aren't left with unprotected skin at anytime
and this gives the new skin time to harden before being exposed.

Peter

Kit Davies

May 24, 2005, 11:37:01 AM5/24/05
Peter wrote:
> I never see this recomended but I found it to be the best approach by far.
>
> 1. insert needle into skin just beyond border of blister area
> 2. push needle under the edge of the blister and up into the reservoir of
> fluid
> 3. drain by squidging the intact blister about a bit
> 4. repeat multiple needle inserts at various locations if required to
> completely empty.
> 5. LEAVE BLISTER INTACT to protect the skin
> 6. if they come up again, repeat procedure
>
> During subsequent outings the skin forming the blister sticks back on to
> where it separated from. You aren't left with unprotected skin at anytime
> and this gives the new skin time to harden before being exposed.
>
> Peter

I agree with this completely. An additional benefit is that, so long as
the needle is clean, there is far less chance of infection. I also find
that callouses build much quicker using this method.

Kit

Rookie

May 24, 2005, 11:51:46 AM5/24/05

Peter wrote:
> I never see this recomended but I found it to be the best approach by
far.

> 1. insert needle into skin just beyond border of blister area
> 2. push needle under the edge of the blister and up into the
reservoir of
> fluid
> 3. drain by squidging the intact blister about a bit
> 4. repeat multiple needle inserts at various locations if required to
> completely empty.
> 5. LEAVE BLISTER INTACT to protect the skin
> 6. if they come up again, repeat procedure

Fully support the above, always worked well for me. Only thing I would
add (and it's a little masochistic) is the use of surgical spirit
liberally swabbed over the area to help prevent infection and toughen
the skin up. A lot of cricketers swear by the stuff for toughening up
your hands for catches but does tend to sting a little on open
blisters....

Ali Williams

May 24, 2005, 11:53:49 AM5/24/05
I agree with this one. Drain the fluid and let the blister dry out and
harden. Leaving them uncovered helps the process.