Gloves

leo

Nov 12, 2003, 6:54:01 AM11/12/03
Hello,

Do you have a recommendation for rowing gloves. I am a new rower and am
abusing my hands. ): Not needing something for cold weather.. it is 75
here. Since I bike, lift and row..it seems that the hands are taking a
beating. Is there a pair that may work for all three sports??

Thank you for your input and suggestions!

leo

David Gillbe

Nov 12, 2003, 7:35:18 AM11/12/03

Leo,
Give it 3 months of solid rowing and you'll soon find you don't need gloves
to row. nor will you need oven gloves to lift things out the oven.
Eventually, those incredibly painful blisters and bits of raw skin will turn
into hard, several mm thick lumps of dead skin, and then you will be a
boatie. It's the only way - I find wearing gloves just messes up feathering
and things.
Cheers
Dave

Neil Wallace

Nov 12, 2003, 7:58:18 AM11/12/03

"leo" <leona...@mp3rock.com> wrote in message

> Hello,
>
> Do you have a recommendation for rowing gloves. I am a new rower and am
> abusing my hands. ): Not needing something for cold weather.. it is 75
> here. Since I bike, lift and row..it seems that the hands are taking a
> beating. Is there a pair that may work for all three sports??

try thunderwear - I have used these.

http://tinyurl.com/uopw

the semi-fingerless ones at the bottom of the page look good.
(they are pictured here - http://tinyurl.com/uoq4)

do try and report back.

Neil

Ewoud Dronkert

Nov 12, 2003, 8:04:03 AM11/12/03
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 12:35:18 -0000, David Gillbe wrote:
> Eventually, those incredibly painful blisters and bits of raw skin will
> turn into hard, several mm thick lumps of dead skin

Accellerate the process by applying (washing/rubbing) spirit of
camphor on the hands every morning and night.

Steven Maynard-Moody

Nov 12, 2003, 10:20:39 AM11/12/03
I also like the Thunderwear gloves with fingers in part because they are
designed to work when wet. I think everyone will agree that no gloves is
best, but there are times when gloves make sense to avoid slow-to-heal
blisters or to protest slowly healing blisters. I almost never wear them but
will often take them along on 20+k rows if I need them to prevent future
problems. I have no trouble feathering and squaring with these gloves which
give considerable feel of the handle -- much more feel than hands wrapped in
sports tape.

--
Best, Steven M-M

"Neil Wallace" <rowing...@NOSPAM.virgin.net> wrote in message

Henry Law

Nov 12, 2003, 11:41:57 AM11/12/03
<david.NO^&$SPAMg...@merton.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> Do you have a recommendation for rowing gloves. I am a new rower and am
>> abusing my hands. ):

>Leo,

>Give it 3 months of solid rowing and you'll soon find you don't need gloves
>to row.

I'm the blisters champion of the North of England but I still
completely agree with this. Worth doing a Google search of the
archives of this group for "blisters" - you'll get a wealth of
information. I created a digest of it once, which I'll try to dig
out if you mail me.

The toolkit in my rowing bag contains spanners, screwdriver, Savlon,
padded tape ...

Ewoud Dronkert

Nov 12, 2003, 12:00:07 PM11/12/03
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 16:41:57 +0000, Henry Law wrote:
> archives of this group for "blisters" - you'll get a wealth of
> information. I created a digest of it once, which I'll try to dig

http://www.cs.vu.nl/~a3aan/Roeien/Misc/blisters.txt

Walter Martindale

Nov 12, 2003, 1:50:57 PM11/12/03
If you're a new rower it's probable that you need time rowing to let
your hands toughen.
As well, most new rowers grip too tightly which contributes to the
problem. Any time you take up a new sport that requires use of the
hands, you'll get new blister/callus patterns.

Patience.
Good nutrition so your skin can heal more quickly.
Wash your hands well after training, and if others use your oar(s), give
the oar handle(s) a clean after you've leaked DNA on them - usually a
dilute solution of bleach will work (90%water10%household bleach), but
you don't want the bleach in your sores - that will slow down healing.
Walter

Bob McMillen

Nov 12, 2003, 5:05:50 PM11/12/03
"Steven Maynard-Moody" <s-mayna...@ku.edu> wrote in message news:<botj4r$t7r$1...@news.cc.ukans.edu>...

> I also like the Thunderwear gloves with fingers in part because they are
> snip.

A cheaper and more readily available alternative (at least in the US)
are baseball batting gloves. They're similar to golf gloves, but a
little heavier with some rubber patches on the palms and fingers to
improve grip. They're available at discount stores for about $15 a
pair. Like Steven, I try to wear them only when I'm having some
particular problem with my hands. I don't have any problem with
feathering, squaring, or blade feel in general. The main problem seems
to be the jeers from my teammates.

cheers,
Bob

Nick Suess

Nov 13, 2003, 2:58:52 AM11/13/03
leo <leona...@mp3rock.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Do you have a recommendation for rowing gloves. I am a new rower and am
> abusing my hands. ): Not needing something for cold weather.. it is 75
> here.

Wow, 75, that's warm. It was only 40 here the other day and we were
roasting!

But seriously, I do have a recommendation. Despite old rowers like me
thinking you have to be a real wimp to wear gloves, the fact is that a lot
of people now prefer to. In some cases it is the women and girls who like
their hands to stay soft, in others it is people of either gender who have
delicate or sensitive skin which just can't take the rigours an oar handle
can impose.

So I decided to start selling gloves for our Aussie rowers, and after having
members of my own club trial about half a dozen different brands and styles,
have finally settled on one which I think is the best for the purpose. On
the basis of comments from our own rowers, I'm most surprised at the
suggestion of using ones "similar to golf gloves, but a

little heavier with some rubber patches on the palms and fingers to improve

grip" as lightness and touch sensitivity on palms and fingers have been the
key criteria according to our folk. A snug fit across the palm so that it
doesn't go all baggy as the hand curls around the handle was absolutely
vital.

The gloves I have finally settled with and now have on sale are made of soft
goatskin with an elasticated back and an extra layer of Amara (synthetic
leather) on palms and fingers. This is a soft, but very hard wearing
material, and the combined layers of goatskin and Amara are still very thin,
and give a good degree of feel for the rower. The fingers and thumbs are
open at about mid length. The goatskin is white with the elastic back red
and a red white and blue velcro closure at the wrist.

I'm happy to sell by mail order world wide, and my price is AU$20 for the
first glove and the second one comes free with it. I'll work out p&p costs
to various countries if and when I get overseas orders. Within Australia I
think $2 should cover it, and I take Bankcard, Master and Visa. For size,
measure the width of the hand across the palm at the base of the fingers, as
this is the critical dimension.

Nick

Nick Suess

Nov 13, 2003, 3:36:20 AM11/13/03

Nick Suess <ni...@scull.com.au> wrote in message news:3fb33a64$0>
> ........my price is AU$20 for the

> first glove and the second one comes free with it.

I forgot to show a conversion there.
Today AU$20 is approximately US$14.40, 8.50 Pounds Sterling, and 12.30 Euros

leo

Nov 17, 2003, 3:22:17 PM11/17/03
Thanks for all the great tips!!

leo