Dating boats - (UK)

Leon Warrington

Apr 6, 2022, 4:09:41 PMApr 6
Hi,

I'm trying to date some old boats that we have acquired over the years.

So far I have worked out:

Empacher - clearly displayed on label
Eton Phoenix - first two digits of serial number relate to year
Janousek - first two digits of serial number relate to year
Stelph - displayed on label (located under hatch cover)
Burgashell - clearly displayed on label

Can anyone advise on:

Aylings - I have a boat with serial number 8441, is this likely to be a 1984 boat?

Sims - we have several Sims (Evolutions and older models with wooden shoulders) , I haven't yet found any label in the boat (though haven't looked inside the hull yet). Does anyone know if these came with serial numbers / dates?

Carl Douglas? (double, likely 1980's)

Any help gratefully received.

Regards,
Leon.

Bob

Apr 8, 2022, 5:25:06 PMApr 8
Leon,

What a nice break from FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer posts.

Regarding dating boats, even I know that it is unusual, even for rowers, to date boats and,
if I were to date boats, I'd never call them old boats.

Regards,,

Bob

carl

Apr 8, 2022, 6:31:44 PMApr 8
Leon -
Our AeRoWing riggers always carry their date of manufacture as the last
pair of digits of their serial #. This will be found under the outboard
end of the rigger as a string of 6 digits, or (pre 2005) from the digits
punched on the flat (boat facing) surface of the main rigger foot. From
this we can fully identify the make & date of the boat (ours or other)
for which they were made.

We also give date, size & client under the slide-bed - where no one can
alter it!

Cheers -
Carl
--
Carl Douglas Racing Shells -
Fine Small-Boats/AeRoWing Low-drag Riggers/Advanced Accessories