Good Erging Shoes

Z. Zeiser

Jun 25, 2004, 12:09:28 PM6/25/04
As I quickly found out when I took up the sport of rowing, alot of
time is spent on the erg doing pieces, and having running shoes such
as New Balance which have the plastic heel support in the back causes
some nasty blisters on your heels. I know from talking to the varsity
rowers on my team that I need new shoes, but no one ever made a
reccomendation to me as to what would be a good pair of shoes to buy.
I'm looking chiefly to reduce blistering during erging while
maintaining an all around usability in regular every day activities.
Anyone, please reccomend. Also, being a college student, the cheaper
(as always), the better!

Neil Wallace

Jun 25, 2004, 5:26:40 PM6/25/04

A. P. Thorsen

Jun 28, 2004, 9:51:43 AM6/28/04
Z. Zeiser wrote:
> As I quickly found out when I took up the sport of rowing, alot of
> time is spent on the erg doing pieces, and having running shoes such
> as New Balance which have the plastic heel support in the back causes
> some nasty blisters on your heels. I know from talking to the varsity
> rowers on my team that I need new shoes . . . .

This is probably heretical, but I usually erg (C2) in sock feet. You
can't get cheaper than that. Started doing this after a blisters
problem, and haven't had any such problems since.

As an aside, if you're in the U.S., there are some very good (but
pricey) blister stick-ons that will cover the blisters while you heal --
made by Dr. Scholl, I think, and available in the store section with
shoe inserts & foot powders. They stay on for a couple of days, even
through showers, and survive erging. They're kind of a clear thick
plastic-y gel stuff - very helpful.

Ann T.

Edd Edmondson

Jun 28, 2004, 11:11:13 AM6/28/04
A. P. Thorsen <apt77don...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Z. Zeiser wrote:
>> As I quickly found out when I took up the sport of rowing, alot of
>> time is spent on the erg doing pieces, and having running shoes such
>> as New Balance which have the plastic heel support in the back causes
>> some nasty blisters on your heels. I know from talking to the varsity
>> rowers on my team that I need new shoes . . . .

> This is probably heretical, but I usually erg (C2) in sock feet. You
> can't get cheaper than that. Started doing this after a blisters
> problem, and haven't had any such problems since.

That's how I got my worst ever blisters!

--
Edd

don

Jun 28, 2004, 10:15:14 PM6/28/04

"Edd Edmondson" <eddedm...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I have always rowed in sweat socks on the water and on the C2. I have never
raised blisters on my feet on either but did find the heel straps on the C2
a bit uncomfortable. What I have done is to wrap some small sweat socks
around the straps so there is some cushion on my heels. Not only is this
more comfortable but allows my heels to stay in the straps.

Obviously, everyone has different exeriences and bodies. I suggest trying
erging in good sweat socks and seeing if that works for you.

Have fun!

kec...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2013, 9:55:55 AM2/21/13

robin_d...@hotmail.com