Resolution for wet/sweaty hands

bnw...@gmail.com

Aug 15, 2016, 10:42:34 AM8/15/16
I am new to this sport, having only been rowing for about 4 years. But a resolute devotee, getting out 7 days a week before and/or after work, as long as no thunderstorms are present (and air/water temps are favorable in early Spring and late Fall)...
I perspire profusely, and am seeking a way to combat this. Losing ones grip in the process of blade rotation is frustrating. I have tried an antiperspirant for my hands, but 3 days in a row, in rather hot and humid conditions, with virtually no improvement. I wear sweatbands on each wrist and carry a small towel to dry my hands, arms, and grips, which is temporary at best.
The only thing that seems to work, and not for the entire session, is wetting/washing my hands/grips with lake water.
Any further suggestions/recommendations?
Thanks in advance...

Jim Dwyer

Aug 15, 2016, 10:53:33 AM8/15/16
Keep the handles clean with soap and water and rinse them well.
When they get sweaty and slippery rinse them and your hands and forearms
with water. If you row on clean water this is easy to do. If not you may
have to take an extra water bottle with you. Wet grips are not slippery and
they will dry out. Sweaty grips are very slippery.
Also choose the right grip for you. The thick smooth black rubber CII grips
work best for me. They are sticky and I am able to hang off of them without
squeezing my forearms.
Pick up a heavy suitcase by the handle. This is the grip that you should be
using when holding on to the handles.

Jim

wrote in message

rowing_

Aug 15, 2016, 10:59:59 AM8/15/16
All of what Jim said. But if none of that works, try putting some surf wax on the handles or your hands (the stuff that surfers use on their boards, the brand I have used is called "Sex Wax" ...)

bnw...@gmail.com

Aug 15, 2016, 11:12:13 AM8/15/16
On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 10:59:59 AM UTC-4, rowing_ wrote:
> All of what Jim said. But if none of that works, try putting some surf wax on the handles or your hands (the stuff that surfers use on their boards, the brand I have used is called "Sex Wax" ...)

Thanks for the quick responses...
I do clean my smooth black CII grips with an all-purpose cleaning solution after each row...I do not have an issue during the drive, only when rotating the blades (esp into the catch). I have been pretty good about hanging rather than gripping (vastly different callous/blister pattern compared to 3 years ago :)
Bringing a clean water bottle for rinsing is a good idea.
Thanks again!

James HS

Aug 15, 2016, 1:24:17 PM8/15/16
Ibswap my handles for the blue foam versions I think they are called martinoli? They do wear, but they give me better grip in dweatty conditions. Sold as an option here with c2s

rolyb...@googlemail.com

Aug 16, 2016, 3:12:31 AM8/16/16
I always liked rowing with a wood handle (well a wood oar). Many top crews still prefer them. We always used rubber 'grips' for sculling, but I never understood that because I found wood better if my hands were sweaty. Does a wood sculling hanlde exist, is there a problem with them?
Roly

Henry Law

Aug 19, 2016, 7:39:31 AM8/19/16
On 16/08/16 08:12, rolyb...@googlemail.com wrote:
> Does a wood sculling hanlde exist, is there a problem with them?

Nah; it's well known that wooden handles -- in fact wooden /anything/
makes you go slower. It's the weight of the wood gods you carry along,
y'see.

--

Henry Law Manchester, England

jhmb...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2016, 5:53:18 AM9/10/16
Try Tournagrip XL. Wrap them on just as tennis pros do. Best to try a small diameter grip underneath.