hands & blisters

C H MAGGIULLI

Apr 11, 2001, 10:31:55 PM4/11/01
this may be a silly question, but anyway. . . .i get terrible blisters on my
hands at the begining of every season. Nobody else on my teams ever gets
them as badly as i do, but i swear i'm not white-knuckling the oar, and
we've got great set this year, so its not like i'm fighting to control the
oar. any ideas on how to make them go away? also, does tape really make it
take longer for them to heal?
~courtney

Kieran Coghlan

Apr 11, 2001, 1:23:02 PM4/11/01

C H MAGGIULLI <BO...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

Nothing will make them go away. As you row more, you hands will toughen,
and your technique will improve. These two things in conjunction will
lessen the amount and severity of your blisters, but even the most seasoned
veterans will still get nasty ones on occasion.

I don't think tape makes them take longer to heal, but infection will. Use
tape only during rows, to prevent further damage to the raw spots, and to
allow you to finish the workout w/o the stinging of open wounds.

After practice, remove tape, wash with soap and water, use tweezers or
something similar to remove all dead skin, and then apply Neosporin Plus
(the Plus version takes the sting away with a mild anesthetic) and
band-aides. Keep lots of band-aides and Neosporin with you all day, so that
you can change them when you need to wash your hands through out the day.

If you row every day, then drain the blisters and cut away the dead skin
ASAP, as described above. If you'll have a day or two before your next row,
leave the blisters as long as possible, and the water will be partially
re-absorbed. This method allows the raw skin under the blister to heal w/o
infection, and w/o the hassle of band-aides and Neosporin. If you can wait
until all the water is re-absorbed, then just cut away the dead skin, even
better. If not, then wait as long as possible then follow the
Neosporin+band aides method.

The main thing is to avoid infection. Neosporin helps prevent infection,
but it won't cure it if it's already set in. I find that if I drain a
blister w/o cutting away the dead skin, then the pocket inside is just a
place for infection to possibly set in, and it's harder to keep it clean in
there. The dead skin will have to eventually be removed, so I just remove
it at the get-go, and apply Neosporin and band-aides.

Good Luck!
-Kieran.

Donal Casey

Apr 11, 2001, 4:23:00 PM4/11/01
In article <9b1v7r$2jpq$1...@newssvr06-en0.news.prodigy.com>,
BO...@prodigy.net (C H MAGGIULLI) wrote:

> this may be a silly question, but anyway. . . .i get terrible blisters
> on my
> hands at the begining of every season. Nobody else on my teams ever gets
> them as badly as i do, but i swear i'm not white-knuckling the oar, and
> we've got great set this year,

I am reliably informed that Shrewsbury School have for many years
advocated raiding the maternity section of chemists for "Nipple cream"
(though where they have been getting blisters I dont know)- cant say as
Ive had a need myself though.......

paulmacdonald

Apr 11, 2001, 4:33:18 PM4/11/01
Suggestion: don't stop rowing in the winter 8^}+<.

Walter Martindale

Apr 11, 2001, 4:35:50 PM4/11/01
The others' advice about tape is good. Use of something like "cramer's skin
lube" under the tape can reduce the pain on removing the tape.

If you do get open blisters - soaking in a dish of warm, very salty water for 15
min or so can help sidetrack an infection. If you can avoid opening your skin.

Henry Braun

Apr 12, 2001, 6:52:53 AM4/12/01

Others have answered on the tape question: giving skin wounds air is
good, keeping wounds clean is good. Balance the two.

You can get proper gel-filled blister-plasters from pharmacists (look for
chiropody products) that are quite expensive but much much better than
tape or fabric plasters. The blister will heal underneath, and the gel
prevents more rubbing and takes away much of the pain. Some of my
crewmates have had good results with "second skin" spray-on coating.

One point is that you don't need to blister for callouses to form;
pressure is enough. So training in weightlifting gloves, which remove the
rubbing on your hands but not the pressure, should help.

Pickling your skin by rubbing on surgical spirit, or breastfeeding
nipple-spray, does work: you need to do it thoroughly over a period of a
week or two at least, and not while you have painful blisters.

Henry

"Check your nuts!" is a usual pre-start call from the coxes round here
asking the crew to make sure their footplates and riggers are properly
tightened. I forget which Oxford college followed this call with "Feel
your nipples!"...

Adriaan Koster

Apr 12, 2001, 7:50:44 AM4/12/01
(nearly) All RSR 'blisters' threads since 1995:

http://www.cs.vu.nl/~a3aan/Roeien/Misc/blisters.txt

Trevor Chambers

Apr 12, 2001, 8:28:44 AM4/12/01
Henry Braun wrote:

> Pickling your skin by rubbing on surgical spirit, or breastfeeding
> nipple-spray, does work: you need to do it thoroughly over a period of a
> week or two at least, and not while you have painful blisters.

So you're saying I need to find someone to breastfeed me nipple spray?

Mm..this rowing lark is more of a challenge every day :-)

Trevor

Sudbury RC

sue thomas

Apr 12, 2001, 10:49:49 AM4/12/01
If you know you are going to get blisters, and you know where you are going
to get them, you may want to try applying Crazy Glue before developing the
blisters. A CAREFUL application of a thin coat of Crazy Glue protects the
skin well, and is very durable.

I've used Crazy Glue, as well, on a healing blister, where the skin has been
already been removed and there is tender new skin underneath. It protects
the tender new skin well.

Electric tape is also a favoured protector of mine, but nothing can beat
good old callouses.
sue

edgar cove

Apr 12, 2001, 6:06:38 PM4/12/01
In article <Pine.LNX.4.30.0104121137080.472-100000@sky-and-
water.maths.ox.ac.uk>, Henry Braun <br...@maths.ox.ac.uk> writes

>> ~courtney
>
>Others have answered on the tape question: giving skin wounds air is
>good, keeping wounds clean is good. Balance the two.
>
>You can get proper gel-filled blister-plasters from pharmacists (look for
>chiropody products) that are quite expensive but much much better than
>tape or fabric plasters. The blister will heal underneath, and the gel
>prevents more rubbing and takes away much of the pain. Some of my
>crewmates have had good results with "second skin" spray-on coating.

I think it is a mistake to row with plasters on, as any plaster adds
appreciable thickness and therefore puts more pressure on the sore part
underneath. Your crewmates success with spray-on coating bears this out

>One point is that you don't need to blister for callouses to form;
>pressure is enough. So training in weightlifting gloves, which remove the
>rubbing on your hands but not the pressure, should help.

If your problem is just callouses and not blisters then you can, and
indeed should, pare them off as necessary as callouses add thickness and
lead to possible blisters underneath.
I really think one should learn to manage blister-free without resort
to gloves, although I will admit to donning gloves 20 miles into the
Boston Marathon, but that is something of a special case...

--
edgar (remove nospam from return address for e-mail reply)

Silver Fox

Apr 13, 2001, 2:12:18 PM4/13/01
For years when I rowed I sufferred a similar fate and I simply put up
with it knowing that the blisters would eventually go away.

It was only in the last couple of years of my rowing that I discovered
the cure which was simply my grip on the handle. I finally learn't to
grip the handle with my fingers rather than my whole hand. My last two
years of rowing were blister free. So when you say your not white
knckling it I am not to sure. It does not take much of a grip on the oar
with the hands to force skin around which causes blisters.

In other words its all to do with the grip and how lightly you can do it
with out losing oar control.

Silver Fox

HourERG

Apr 15, 2001, 11:02:12 AM4/15/01
AMEN!!!

Steven Maynard-Moody

Apr 15, 2001, 1:25:00 PM4/15/01
Yes & no. I have a very relaxed grip but will still get blisters from time
to time. Yesterday did 15K -- my first longish row of the year -- and got
my first blisters of the season. So today when I went out I wore rowing
gloves which prevented tearing of the blisters. Some of us have skin that
blisters more readily than others and I believe that a little prevention can
keep the hands in good rowing condition. Bear hands are best, but in my
view gloves are better than tape both in terms of feel and protection.

--
Steven Maynard-Moody
Interim Director, Policy Research Institute
"Silver Fox" <f...@voyager.co.nz> wrote in message

Silver Fox

Apr 16, 2001, 7:56:59 PM4/16/01
At our rowing club 15k is only the warmup. We do 30k most rows with
occasional 20k rows to recover. In our club blisters are not a problem
and no one in our club would be seen dead wearing gloves. Mind you we
are a high performance club expecting high performance from our rowers.

Best of luck with your rowing

Silver Fox

Nick Suess

Apr 16, 2001, 2:13:46 AM4/16/01

> At our rowing club 15k is only the warmup. We do 30k most rows with
> occasional 20k rows to recover. In our club blisters are not a problem
> and no one in our club would be seen dead wearing gloves. Mind you we
> are a high performance club expecting high performance from our rowers.
>
> Best of luck with your rowing
>
> Silver Fox

I'd call that a high-endurance club.

Does anyone have any time left for having fun?

Will this deadly serious club remain anonymous, or will you name it so that
tired and fat old bastards like myself who believe that a short row is a
happy row can give it a wide berth on those occasions when we visit our Kiwi
cousins?

j...@durge.org

Apr 16, 2001, 7:13:16 AM4/16/01
Nick Suess <ni...@scull.com.au> wrote:
: I'd call that a high-endurance club.

It's no more than other high-performance clubs do, I imagine.

Jon
Durge: j...@durge.org http://www.durge.org/~jon/
OnStream: acco...@rowing.org.uk http://www.rowing.org.uk/

david.ballard

Apr 16, 2001, 7:16:15 AM4/16/01
Come and see us in the UK Nick

Our lake is only 1000 metres long. When the anglers are out, we can only use
900 metres of it!

There are reasonable pubs quite close.

David
Swindon RC

Nick Suess <ni...@scull.com.au> wrote in message

Henning Lippke

Apr 16, 2001, 5:58:02 PM4/16/01
> Does anyone have any time left for having fun?

Yes, being out with friends is a very nice aspect of rowing, don't want to
miss it..... even when I mostly row in my single, I'm happy to have others
around when I'm back at the boathouse.

-HL

Nick Suess

Apr 16, 2001, 9:35:45 PM4/16/01

david.ballard <david....@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> Come and see us in the UK Nick
>
> Our lake is only 1000 metres long. When the anglers are out, we can only
use
> 900 metres of it!
>
> There are reasonable pubs quite close.
>
> David
> Swindon RC

Thanks for the invite, David, and please consider it reciprocated.

I used to row at Bradford, which has a mere 700 metres or so rowable on the
river Aire, so your 1000 would be a luxury, as was the 1200 metres of Afon
Taf at Llandaff. Now I have the Swan River with the potential to row
something like 60km without having to turn around.

Here's a thought, let's have a thread on who has the tiniest bit of water.
Does Bradford (Yorkshire) have the record? Bradford on Avon must also be
pretty crampy. But I have a feeling that Bendigo might grab it. They row on
a 500 metre lake. Any others around the world?

And let's have another thread on who has the best beer. That might divert
Carl's attention away from all that vortex stuff, which I'm now feeling most
apologetic for starting.

Mike De.Petris

Apr 17, 2001, 3:04:22 PM4/17/01
In uno strano messaggio del 17 Apr 01 ni...@scull.com.au (2:333/608.1)
scrisse al povero All :
n> Here's a thought, let's have a thread on who has the tiniest bit of
n> water. Does Bradford (Yorkshire) have the record? Bradford on Avon must
n> also be pretty crampy. But I have a feeling that Bendigo might grab it.
n> They row on a 500 metre lake. Any others around the world?

Yes we row on the open sea, but the "protected zone" is exactly 1000m. We
often stay protected, as you can't do speed work on waves, and you know wave
come in from the edges of the protection, so we have something around 750m.
All is good if you have to do long workouts and there is a bit of waves and
you have the endless sea to row, and when you do 250m, 500m, 750m, 1000m,
starts or other speed intervals, but can be very bad if you have to work on
anything around 1500-4000 or LSD and there are a lot of wave, you can go
crazy turning in the good 750m or starting for a 3000m, do 2k very slow on
choppy waves and then find yourself on perfect calm water for the last Km,
and the next time you speed up for a Km and then find yourself on waves and
still Kms to go!

The nice thing you never bore as you always have tyo think how to distribute
the workout the do the best path.

n> And let's have another thread on who has the best beer. That might
n> divert Carl's attention away from all that vortex stuff, which I'm now
n> feeling most apologetic for starting.

There is no doubt our long Austo-hungaric traditions make our city one of the
best for beer.

Ciao, ** *Mike* ** www.interware.it/users/mike/ mi...@interware.it

--
"Dual Pentium-100 - Compiles in a flash, makes great coffee too!"
http://www.studver.uu.nl/triton/rsr/ _*#RSR# Faces*_

--

Atarian ST -TS! 2:333/608(FidoNet) bbsgate.interware.it

Henning Lippke

Apr 17, 2001, 4:17:17 PM4/17/01
> There is no doubt our long Austo-hungaric traditions make our city one of
the
> best for beer.

May I just say that germany has over 6000 independent sorts of beer? There
has to be a good one in between.....

But I think I will lose in the competition who has the smallest area to row.
We have two possibilities to go round the city, a channel in the one
direction, a wide and slow river to the other which leads to the the open
sea, and some additional lakes & rivers which are all connected together.

-HL

Joe Tynan

Apr 17, 2001, 7:51:21 PM4/17/01

sadly, blisters will always be a factor if your callouses wear off in
the off season. My suggestion would be to try to kep your callouses.
As for getting blisters when no one else is, take pride. It means
you're puling harder than they are (well, depending on WHERE your
blisters are forming :).

Joe

Silver Fox

Apr 18, 2001, 8:00:50 PM4/18/01
Nick Suess wrote:

> I'd call that a high-endurance club.
>
> Does anyone have any time left for having fun?
>
> Will this deadly serious club remain anonymous, or will you name it so that
> tired and fat old bastards like myself who believe that a short row is a
> happy row can give it a wide berth on those occasions when we visit our Kiwi
> cousins?

Wairau Rowing Club, Blenheim, New Zealand. To avoid it you can fly over
the top of it, take a train straight past it, or keep to No1 highway and
avoid any turn offs that may take you to the club!!!!

Some of our rowers have been known to have fun. Training is about 3
hours every day during the season that leaves 21 hours for fun even for
fat people.

We also enjoy medals Gold) at our National Championships which is the
purpose of all the training of course.

Silver Fox

Nick Suess

Apr 18, 2001, 1:46:32 AM4/18/01
Thanks Silver

Well, I believe you've got plenty of nice Wairau River there in Blenheim for
all those km. And if ever I'm around, can I drop by for a light paddle and a
cleansing ale afterwards, or do I need to do the full 30?

Silver Fox <f...@voyager.co.nz> wrote in message

Walter Martindale

Apr 18, 2001, 10:02:00 AM4/18/01
Ah, so now we're getting somewhere. Wairau. Well, I've stayed at Picton once,
and stayed on Hwy 1 a few times.
Would the real initials of Silver Fox be SD? or JR imagining a new hair colour?
Walter

Ewoud Dronkert

Apr 18, 2001, 10:21:00 AM4/18/01
"Walter Martindale" <wmar...@telusplanet.net> wrote:
> Ah, so now we're getting somewhere. [...]

> Would the real initials of Silver Fox be SD?

Yes. (thanks go to google and deja).

Mike De.Petris

Apr 18, 2001, 5:00:10 PM4/18/01
In uno strano messaggio del 17 Apr 01 H_Li...@fast-net.de (2:333/608.1)
scrisse al povero All :
HL> May I just say that germany has over 6000 independent sorts of beer?
HL> There has to be a good one in between.....

And surely we really prefer that beer against any british one.

HL> But I think I will lose in the competition who has the smallest area to
HL> row. We have two possibilities to go round the city, a channel in the
HL> one direction, a wide and slow river to the other which leads to the the
HL> open sea, and some additional lakes & rivers which are all connected
HL> together.

Oh that's really my dream.

--
The new Pentium Overheat, CPU and water boiler in a single chip!

Henning Lippke

Apr 18, 2001, 3:49:18 PM4/18/01

> Oh that's really my dream.
Then come and visit us to enjoy wide ranges to row and nice beer :-)

-HL

Silver Fox

Apr 19, 2001, 10:05:35 PM4/19/01
SD sent you an Email

Rgds Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Apr 19, 2001, 10:08:00 PM4/19/01
You are most welcome to borrow a boat for a light paddle and then ale
afterwards. The committe will give you dispensation from having to do
the 30k's!!!!

Silver Fox

Rob Collings

Apr 19, 2001, 9:59:13 AM4/19/01
> Thanks for the invite, David, and please consider it reciprocated.
>
> I used to row at Bradford, which has a mere 700 metres or so rowable on the
> river Aire, so your 1000 would be a luxury, as was the 1200 metres of Afon
> Taf at Llandaff. Now I have the Swan River with the potential to row
> something like 60km without having to turn around.
>
> Here's a thought, let's have a thread on who has the tiniest bit of water.
> Does Bradford (Yorkshire) have the record? Bradford on Avon must also be
> pretty crampy. But I have a feeling that Bendigo might grab it. They row on
> a 500 metre lake. Any others around the world?

I think Ross-on-Wye don't have a lot.

I think my home water could be the narrowest - most places it isn't as
wide as a four is long. One direction has to pull in to let crews going
the other way pass.

Rob.

Walter Martindale

Apr 19, 2001, 10:31:25 AM4/19/01
How about some sips of vin rouge from the several vinyards including Ivan's? That
and some Speight's Old Dark and someone might consider staying there. (Horrors)
Nick would like the hospitality
Walter

Walter Martindale

Apr 19, 2001, 10:32:10 AM4/19/01
and a reply has been sent. 8-)

Gerard Moran

Apr 19, 2001, 8:03:34 PM4/19/01
How about soaking your hands in Meth Spirits for a couple of weeks before
you start rowing at the beginning of the season. That should make your
hands harder.

Don't do this after you have skin wounds, unless you are in to pain. Good
Old Fashioned Insulating tape.

"Henry Braun" <br...@maths.ox.ac.uk> wrote in message

> On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, C H MAGGIULLI wrote:
>
> > this may be a silly question, but anyway. . . .i get terrible blisters
on my
> > hands at the begining of every season. Nobody else on my teams ever gets
> > them as badly as i do, but i swear i'm not white-knuckling the oar, and
> > we've got great set this year, so its not like i'm fighting to control
the
> > oar. any ideas on how to make them go away? also, does tape really make
it
> > take longer for them to heal?
> > ~courtney
>

> Others have answered on the tape question: giving skin wounds air is
> good, keeping wounds clean is good. Balance the two.
>
> You can get proper gel-filled blister-plasters from pharmacists (look for
> chiropody products) that are quite expensive but much much better than
> tape or fabric plasters. The blister will heal underneath, and the gel
> prevents more rubbing and takes away much of the pain. Some of my
> crewmates have had good results with "second skin" spray-on coating.
>

> One point is that you don't need to blister for callouses to form;
> pressure is enough. So training in weightlifting gloves, which remove the
> rubbing on your hands but not the pressure, should help.
>

> Pickling your skin by rubbing on surgical spirit, or breastfeeding
> nipple-spray, does work: you need to do it thoroughly over a period of a
> week or two at least, and not while you have painful blisters.
>
> Henry
>
> "Check your nuts!" is a usual pre-start call from the coxes round here
> asking the crew to make sure their footplates and riggers are properly
> tightened. I forget which Oxford college followed this call with "Feel
> your nipples!"...

Silver Fox

Apr 21, 2001, 2:29:14 AM4/21/01
I am not sure beer and ale drinkers can appreciate fine wines that are
produced here in Marlborough but anyone is welcome to try after they
have done their 30k row unless they have dispensation from our committee
to do something less than 30k say 15k for the ale man.

Silver Fox

david.ballard

Apr 20, 2001, 9:31:43 AM4/20/01
What you have to remember is that 15k for those with a big wobbly beer belly
is just as good training as 30k for the well trained! Marginal benefit
rather higher I suspect.

And this is obviously from someone who has never sampled the delights of a
pint of Fullers London Pride, or our own 6x, or Youngs Special, or any one
of a host of others nice and warm from a handpump.

Your wines travel better than our ales, I think

:-)

David

Silver Fox <f...@voyager.co.nz> wrote in message

John Mulholland

Apr 20, 2001, 2:42:59 PM4/20/01
How do we eat, drink and train while soaking our hands in Meths for two
weeks? Perhaps we should drink the meths too!

John Mulholland
Hexham Rowing Club

"Gerard Moran" <Gtm...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

Simon2

Apr 22, 2001, 4:09:32 AM4/22/01
Eh...... don't soak your hands in Methylated spirits, unless your
hands are bristly paintbrushes.
Methylated spirits are absorbed through the skin and methanol is not
desirable for human consumption, I am sure it has been mentioned here
previously that you can cause yourself eye damage through using meths like
this.
Surgical spirits is what you mean or rubbing alcohol but not paint thinners.
This will dry up the outer epidermis and kill the skin cells in the cuts
under your burst blisters, I presume by dissolving all the oil on your skin,
and then your hands get hard, so then you don't have to cry any more.
Nothing wrong with crying, though.

Martin.

"John Mulholland" <John.Mu...@connectingbusiness.com> wrote in message

Katriona Cameron MCS1998

Apr 23, 2001, 8:05:52 AM4/23/01
I know a number of Shrewsbury School rowers, having rowed out of their
boathouse when at school myself, and that's a new one on me!

KT