Renting singles at Lake Tahoe area

bnw...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2016, 2:42:05 PM7/12/16
We will be attending a wedding in late September near Truckee, CA. Looks like either Donner Lake or North Lake Tahoe are possible rowing venues. I am trying to locate one or 2 singles to borrow or rent while out there. Not sure of the water conditions, so open water style singles like the Maas 24 or even Aero would be perfectly acceptable, if not preferable. The responses I have received so far from marinas and rental places are not promising.
Thanks in advance
Brian

sully

Jul 12, 2016, 6:00:45 PM7/12/16
Have you checked with people at the Tahoe Yacht club? They've been running a regatta for years in early June, might know of some boats in the area. I don't know them myself. there's no rowing on Donner, but years ago USOC ran some development camps up there.

http://www.tahoeyc.com/rowing-regatta.html

Stanford operates a retreat on Fallen Leaf Lake for alums and faculty/staff, they have a small fleet of old Pocock trainers, not sure how helpful that is.

There! I've exhausted all of my Lake Tahoe area rowing knowledge in a couple sentences....

Message has been deleted

bnw...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2016, 7:09:00 PM7/12/16
Thanks Sully...I did speak with them. They acknowledged that they host the North Shore regatta, but it's BYOB (bring your own boat). I sent an email to Shirwin to see if she knows of any. I even found a rec shell on CL for the Reno area...The owner is going to see what she can do as well, since their single had sold. She mentioned Tahoe Paddle and Oar, but they seem to be out of the sculling biz...I don't give up easily, so we'll see what happens. I will try to follow up on your other leads.
Thanks

bnw...@gmail.com

Jul 14, 2016, 8:48:06 AM7/14/16
May need to clarify. Looking for 1 mid/heavy and 1 heavy (or 2 heavy) singles. Rowers are 185 and 220lbs respectively.
Thanks in advance

woodma...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2018, 12:08:52 AM6/6/18
Did you end up having any luck? 1x mid-hvy weight rower occasionally in Reno

Brian Welch

Jun 6, 2018, 1:15:14 PM6/6/18
Actually, kind of...Found someone willing to loan me their older Pocock Trainer (Plasmo) but water level was so low, it was not worth the risk, not being familiar with Donner Lake, and the entire shore lined being boulder lined.
Let me know if you would be interested in his contact info

Charles Carroll

Jun 6, 2018, 3:42:57 PM6/6/18
On Tuesday, July 12, 2016 at 11:42:05 AM UTC-7, Brian Welch wrote:
Brian,

On the 9th our Club is putting on its annual North Tahoe Rowing Regatta. Get in touch with someone at the Club. They may be able to help.

http://owrc.com/

http://baarowers.com/event/north-tahoe-regatta/

Warmest regards,

Charles

Brian Welch

Jun 6, 2018, 3:52:12 PM6/6/18
Thanks Charles, that was my intent 2 years ago...Spoke with Shirwin and the local Yacht club but was unsuccessful...If I decide to try again I will certainly revisit. BTW, I really enjoyed rowing your regatta at OWRC a few years ago with my son...
Thanks again
Brian

Wyatt Nordstrom

Apr 27, 2021, 2:10:25 PM4/27/21
We're starting a new club on Lake Tahoe: http://rowtahoe.org

bnw...@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2021, 1:21:36 PM4/28/21
Wyatt,
That is great to hear...Our daughters' in laws have a vacation home in Truckee, so we are bound to get out there once in awhile (fingers crossed). Upon last visit Donner Lake was so low it was not worth venturing out in a borrowed boat and no knowledge of the geography...
Thanks again,
Brian