Re: Blisters in the rain

1 view

simonk

Oct 14, 2004, 6:23:33 AM10/14/04
"Sarah F" <sa...@cam.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:acb81f61.04101...@posting.google.com...
> Ok not so much a request for how to prevent bliters etc... as I'm
> pretty comfortable with using zinc oxide tape - its seems to work fine
> for me. The only problem is that its raining here at the moment and
> zinc oxide tape is rubbish in the rain... so now my lovely bits of new
> skin on my finger tips (which I was desperately trying to protect
> given I don't think there's another layer to come underneath!) have
> now been ripped off (again)...grrr...

I gave up on zinc oxide a while ago. If it's a blister that's popped and
the raw skin's exposed, I tend to use those hydrocolloid dressings, which
really seem to work very well, wrapped up with lots of micropore tape. If
it's raining, I just use more tape so that it lasts the length of the
outing!

--
simonk

PaulS

Oct 14, 2004, 2:32:02 PM10/14/04
sa...@cam.ac.uk (Sarah F) wrote in message news:<acb81f61.04101...@posting.google.com>...

> Ok not so much a request for how to prevent bliters etc... as I'm
> pretty comfortable with using zinc oxide tape - its seems to work fine
> for me. The only problem is that its raining here at the moment and
> zinc oxide tape is rubbish in the rain... so now my lovely bits of new
> skin on my finger tips (which I was desperately trying to protect
> given I don't think there's another layer to come underneath!) have
> now been ripped off (again)...grrr...
>

> Does anyone have a suggestion for the rain? Or has anyone come across
> waterproof pogies (to keep my hands dry - would also help because the
> stupid plastic grips get slippery when they get wet - why did anyone
> think wood wasn't good enough)? Is there a niche in the market?
>
> hope someone out there can help!
>
> Sarah 'ripped hands' F

Give up the "death grip" as soon as practicable.
In the mean time, a drop of Krazy Glue will protect the skin
underneath while it builds back up. Be sure to clean it very well
before applying and do not touch the area with any other skin until it
has dried.

I think JL makes neoprene pogies, but it could have been that they
were just being displayed on the same vendor table. (I'll restrain
myself from any public judgement regarding pogie use) [;o)

Thin cotton gloves can provide some protection, but working on keeping
a firm but relaxed grasp is helpful, and has parallels in many sports,
golf, fencing, racquet sports, most anything where we hold something
in our hands actually. (No Neil, you should not elaborate.)

- Paul Smith

Ewoud Dronkert

Oct 14, 2004, 5:58:39 AM10/14/04
On 14 Oct 2004 01:28:44 -0700, Sarah F wrote:
> The only problem is that its raining here at the moment and
> zinc oxide tape is rubbish in the rain...

Try rubbing your hands with spirit of camphor mornings and nights. In
the end you won't need the tape anymore. And your boyfriend will
probably give you silk gloves for christmas.

--
Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://www.getffox.com/
Thunderbird E-mail and Newsgroups - http://www.gettbird.com/

Neil Wallace

Oct 15, 2004, 5:11:36 AM10/15/04
Sarah Farquhar wrote:

> No they do. We searched their website last night. However they're also
> thermal pogies so I think they'd be as bad as nothing as they'd make
> my hands sweat and I'd have the same problem... maybe there is a
> niche in the market for waterproof breathable pogies!

Sarah,

I wear Thunderwear gloves when I have a really long session in the wet.
They were recommended here many moons ago, I think by Steven M-M.
minimum disruption in feel, and they dry out quickly.

Have a look at their site.
http://snipurl.com/9sbf

I think the ones I have are the full-finger lycra reef glove.

Guide Friday

Oct 15, 2004, 4:02:01 AM10/15/04
> > hope someone out there can help!
> >
> > Sarah 'ripped hands' F

There are several issues here Sarah. One is the blisters. My blister
covering of choice is Micropore tape. Far cheaper than any of the
liquid skin or 'blister plasters' available and just as effective (if
not more so).

A second is your technique. Lose grip and piano exercises are the
order of the day.

Finally, you seem to be mentioning the rain as a factor. The blade
handles can get slippy and cause you to grip harder in a belief this
will help. The answer is to increase the amount of friction on the
blade handle. In the olden days that was just a case of a
hacksaw/wirewool and roughing up the wood.

I had this problem last year, and the solution was not to put the
micropore tape over my hands, but over the blade handle. But don't put
it on neatly. When pushed and pulled about, the tape becomes tacky.
This gives you enough grip for, say, an outing or a head race but
little more. Double sided micropore might be an advantage if the stuff
existed ;-)

Justus J.

Oct 15, 2004, 3:48:42 PM10/15/04
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:43:38 GMT, "Neil Wallace"
<rowing.golfer@*NOPSAM*virgin.net> wrote:

>why not - it's in your header anyway!
>http://www.rock-the-boat.co.uk
>
>but though your Gillets are rather nice...... I'm still a thunderwear man
>glove wise.

I second that (about the gillets, not the thunderwear).

Justus

PaulS

Oct 15, 2004, 11:55:00 AM10/15/04
Sarah Farquhar <sa...@cam.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<xYKbd.20$6A...@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net>...

> PaulS wrote:
>
> > Give up the "death grip" as soon as practicable.
>
> OI! I take offence at that. I don't have a death grip!

Wow! I even got an email from an advocate of yours telling me the same
thing. [:o)
No offence intended, I'm sure you are perfect, and the equipment is to
blame. (Better now?)

> The blisters are
> mainly on the tip segment of my fingers - due to the stupid blade
> handles sticking to my skin. I don't have a problem when I row with wood
> or foam but these stupid plastic ones are a nightmare. They also slip
> out of your hands ridiculously easily when they get wet. Who invented
> them? Ah yes that'd be the Americans ;o)

Well, yes, didn't you know it's a conspiracy against you, we don't use
them here. [;o)

So they stick to your skin when dry, but are too slippery when wet?
Sounds like you have stumbled onto the evil plan to rip your hands to
shreds. How about going with a wooden handle, it doesn't matter in
the larger picture, and combinations of wood and plastic will be seen
in international boats due to rower preference.

Please don't be offended, I've used the new handles, in various
conditions, and my review would be that the inside hand area should be
of greater circumference, as it would reduce the grip pressure
required to turn on and off feather. I got no blisters, but the
pressure on the side of my thumb seemed to shock the nerve enough that
the pad of my thumb went numb for several weeks, something that a
regular wood handle has never caused.

> > In the mean time, a drop of Krazy Glue will protect the skin
> > underneath while it builds back up. Be sure to clean it very well
> > before applying and do not touch the area with any other skin until it
> > has dried.
> >
> > I think JL makes neoprene pogies, but it could have been that they
> > were just being displayed on the same vendor table. (I'll restrain
> > myself from any public judgement regarding pogie use) [;o)
>

> No they do. We searched their website last night. However they're also
> thermal pogies so I think they'd be as bad as nothing as they'd make my
> hands sweat and I'd have the same problem... maybe there is a niche in
> the market for waterproof breathable pogies!

Cut out a couple holes on the "down side" of the neoprene pogie, this
will make for good air circulation, far better than any "Breathable
Waterproof" fabrics.

> In the meantime, someone round here suggested electrical tape for its
> waterproofness... so I'll try that tomorrow.
>
> Sarah

Electrical tape in the US is not only plastic, but rather slippery
plastic, it will be interesting to see how you get on with that.

- Paul Smith

Cranberry

Oct 16, 2004, 10:02:58 AM10/16/04
What grips do you use? And what size handles?

I had blue plastic grips come with my C2 sculls, and they were a nightmare,
way too hard, and useless for anything over a few km even in the dry. I
swapped them for the black grips, which are a lot better, and I've also
previously used stampfli orange grips which were also good but more
expensive.

It's been really windy here recently and I find when sculling in 20mph+
winds with 2 ft waves it's kind of hard not to grip the handles a little bit
occasionally :)

Electrical tape might be a little slippy on plasric grips.

My blisters are worse on the palms and thumbs, and the a few minor ones on
the middle segments of fingers. I don't think my finger tip segments even
touch the handle at all. Maybe you just need smaller handles.

Hope that helps.

"Sarah Farquhar" <sa...@cam.ac.uk> wrote in message
> PaulS wrote:
>

> > Give up the "death grip" as soon as practicable.
>

> OI! I take offence at that. I don't have a death grip! The blisters are

> mainly on the tip segment of my fingers - due to the stupid blade
> handles sticking to my skin. I don't have a problem when I row with wood
> or foam but these stupid plastic ones are a nightmare. They also slip
> out of your hands ridiculously easily when they get wet. Who invented
> them? Ah yes that'd be the Americans ;o)
>

> > In the mean time, a drop of Krazy Glue will protect the skin
> > underneath while it builds back up. Be sure to clean it very well
> > before applying and do not touch the area with any other skin until it
> > has dried.
> >
> > I think JL makes neoprene pogies, but it could have been that they
> > were just being displayed on the same vendor table. (I'll restrain
> > myself from any public judgement regarding pogie use) [;o)
>

> No they do. We searched their website last night. However they're also
> thermal pogies so I think they'd be as bad as nothing as they'd make my
> hands sweat and I'd have the same problem... maybe there is a niche in
> the market for waterproof breathable pogies!

Di

Oct 16, 2004, 2:29:27 PM10/16/04
thanks for the kind comments both

makes me feel v welcome to rsr

so perhaps I will have something more general to contribute soon!
Di

Ewoud Dronkert

Oct 16, 2004, 2:50:34 PM10/16/04
On 16 Oct 2004 11:29:27 -0700, Di wrote:
> so perhaps I will have something more general to contribute soon!

When you grow tired of the long delay on google groups, try a real news
server like http://news.individual.net/ (get a free account). You'll
need a news reader like Thunderbird (free, see below) or Outlook Express
(but not without http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/ !).

Ciao,
Ewok, I mean Eword, I mean E-would, eh never mind.