Boys in the Boat film trailer

KC

Oct 19, 2023, 3:50:47 PM10/19/23
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfEA-udzjjQ

Going through the brief bits of rowing in that trailer, and it seems we have nothing to look forward to in the area of "good rowing on film" :) At best we might get a "good rowing story, on film."

I'm sure I will enjoy the film, as I'm a huge film nerd, and a huge rowing nerd, and I enjoyed the book. But I'm also sure it'll be an effort to ignore the atrocious rowing by the actors.

Even a few shots from very far away (aerial shots) show some really bad timing. I had hoped that they had a couple crews of skilled "rowing doubles" do do the distance shots at least. The actors generally look like novices a few weeks in to their rowing careers. Which is basically what they are, most likely.

Mark Eller

Oct 20, 2023, 12:53:48 PM10/20/23
By the accounts I've seen there are several active and accomplished competitive rowers featured in the cast and background scenes. That said, it's a narrative story not a documentary on rowing technique so I'm not going to focus too much on their rowing form.

KC

Oct 25, 2023, 1:10:27 PM10/25/23
On Friday, October 20, 2023 at 9:53:48 AM UTC-7, Mark Eller wrote:
> By the accounts I've seen there are several active and accomplished competitive rowers featured in the cast and background scenes. That said, it's a narrative story not a documentary on rowing technique so I'm not going to focus too much on their rowing form.

Yes I've also heard that apparently there are several experienced rowers playing extras in the film; it just looks like none of them made it into the trailer clips. :-)

Jonny

Feb 14, 2024, 5:18:34 PMFeb 14
I've put a number of photos of the replica boat (Husky Clipper) being built up on my Instagram page. Multiple posts each with multiple photos.

https://www.instagram.com/flying_boatman/

Boats built by Richmond Bridge Boat Builders, London. Mark Edwards, Bill Colley and team.

I had a minor role assisting with the skins of the boats. Fascinating stuff and learned a lot.

Will have a blog post on my website soon.

Jack

Feb 14, 2024, 7:43:11 PMFeb 14
IMO the movie is a very poor adaptation of the book. Much of the story about Joe Rantz has been omitted.