Fixing and sealing a fin box

Andy McKenzie

Jan 17, 2022, 11:21:34 AM1/17/22
The metal fin box on an ERB 4 that I look after was pulled out of the hull in a collision with a log. Luckily it didn't detach completely, and the rear compartment was well enough sealed that not much water entered, and the crew only realized the extent of the damage when they got back to the boathouse. They commented that the boat had seemed easier to sit as the outing went on!

The box is a tight push fit into the hull and it's not obvious how it was originally sealed - would it be epoxied in, or would it have been fixed with silicone so that it comes away cleanly in an accident?

Phil

Jan 17, 2022, 2:24:43 PM1/17/22
On Tuesday, January 18, 2022 at 5:21:34 AM UTC+13, Andy McKenzie wrote:
> The metal fin box on an ERB 4 that I look after was pulled out of the hull in a collision with a log. Luckily it didn't detach completely, and the rear compartment was well enough sealed that not much water entered, and the crew only realized the extent of the damage when they got back to the boathouse. They commented that the boat had seemed easier to sit as the outing went on!
>
> The box is a tight push fit into the hull and it's not obvious how it was originally sealed - would it be epoxied in, or would it have been fixed with silicone so that it comes away cleanly in an accident?
You could ask an authoritative source:
http://www.esrowingservices.co.uk/main-navigation/about-us/eric-sims.html

Andy McKenzie

Jan 18, 2022, 10:10:52 AM1/18/22
I followed Phil's advice (thanks Phil!) and contacted ES Rowing. While not how they would do it in their workshop, they suggested epoxy as the appropriate fixing for a field repair.