Closing the Thames in 2012

7 views
Skip to first unread message

Alistair

unread,
Dec 1, 2009, 4:27:30 PM12/1/09
to
Christopher Huhne (Eastleigh, Liberal Democrat):

To ask the Minister for the Olympics what estimate has been made of the
(a) compensation and (b) other costs associated with the closure of the
River Thames for the duration of the rowing events at the London 2012
Olympics.

* Hansard source (Citation: HC Deb, 30 November 2009, c365W)

Tessa Jowell (Minister of State, Cabinet Office; Dulwich & West Norwood,
Labour):

No decision has been made to close any section of the River Thames for
the duration of the rowing events which are being hosted at Dorney Lake,
Windsor, for either the Olympic Games or the Paralympic Games. <thinks:
you utter utter moron thirty seconds of research would have given you
the answer this used to be the mother of parliaments you're probably
equally worried that I'll close down the shipping lanes in the English
Channel during the synchronised swimming I can't wait till I don't have
to answer these cretins only five more months...>


Kit

unread,
Dec 2, 2009, 4:46:56 AM12/2/09
to

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/berkshire/hi/people_and_places/newsid_8355000/8355089.stm

I'm not sure what 30 seconds of research you were expecting.

One would hope that knowing the cost implications of a closure would
be part of the planning. If those costs are known, they could be
published. If they are not known, is the LOCOG doing it's planning
properly? Hence his question?

Kit

Carl Douglas

unread,
Dec 2, 2009, 6:13:45 AM12/2/09
to

It is never a good idea to underestimate the supine stupidity of elected
governments in their willingness to bend the laws of the land to fit the
overweening desires of the unelected Real IOC. We already have the
Olympic Symbols Act (someone else can waster their time finding its full
title) which confers draconian powers in favour of the IOC & BOA to
prevent use of words & associations with those words which have been
part of the language since time immemorial. Now we are being softened
up for further restrictions on freedom.

For what?

So that a few thousand athletes, most of them professional, many of them
rather well paid, some of them as rich as Croesus, shall disport at our
expense for a mere fortnight in 2012. Already the citizens of London
are paying increased taxes while others have been dispossessed of their
properties & businesses so that grandiose public works of a temporary
nature or with impossible subsequent maintenance costs shall be built, &
some of them will then be un-built having no other fit purpose or buyer.
And funds for this venture are also being sucked away from supporting
grass-roots sport - where it would really benefit the health & wealth of
a nation rather than lining pockets of a few.

The Greeks had a word for the infectious insanity which drives such
things - hubris. It was Greek hubris which saddled Athens with costs
for now-derelict sports facilities which are crippling a country now
brought still lower by its inability to manage the current recession.
Similarly, Montreal has only just finished paying for the 1976 splurge
which left that city with huge unpaid bills & a decaying & unsafe
stadium - but meanwhile mad Mayor Drapeau, who foisted that upon the
pockets of those citizens, has long departed for Elysian Fields (where
perhaps they pay no taxes).

While all this is happening in preparation for 2012, including talk of
closing an historic Navigation (for what possible reason?) nothing will
be done to decrease the mega-tonnage of human ordure which will still be
permitted to slide infectiously out of storm water outfalls & slip
odorously down the Thames through our capital city & close by the games'
facilities.

Wouldn't any responsible administration put the provision of bread, in
this case the absence of untreated crap (physical & political) & an
increased trust in the natural decency of its citizens, ahead of such
ludicrously overpriced circuses & the creeping police state in which you
now can get your collar felt by the fuzz for taking photos of a sunset
over St. Pauls?

What new impositions are yet to be sprung on us - supposedly to prevent
terrorist attacks & Him up there knows what from spoiling the fun of the
freeloading new aristocracy they call the IOC & the World's ever-growing
armies of couch potatoes? And how will this improve the of the 1/6th of
the World's population who daily face disease & starvation?

Carl

--
Carl Douglas Racing Shells -
Fine Small-Boats/AeRoWing Low-drag Riggers/Advanced Accessories
Write: Harris Boatyard, Laleham Reach, Chertsey KT16 8RP, UK
Find: http://tinyurl.com/2tqujf
Email: ca...@carldouglas.co.uk Tel: +44(0)1932-570946 Fax: -563682
URLs: www.carldouglas.co.uk (boats) & www.aerowing.co.uk (riggers)

Alexander Lindsay

unread,
Dec 2, 2009, 7:19:54 AM12/2/09
to

"Carl Douglas" <ca...@carldouglas.co.uk> wrote in message
news:7nn0fcF...@mid.individual.net...

Well said Sir!

I have long felt that the world would be a better place if there were no
internation "sporting" contest of any kind whatsoever. I find the mere
existence of national teams at any "sport" abhorrent. They were perhaps
tolerable when the ideal of amateurism was understood, but now they have
become big business, at which full time professionals are funded by
taxpayers and some earn huge sums of money, and have become means to
national aggrandisement, they have lost all their purpose, and are certainly
not "sport" in any meaningful sense.

That is not to say that individuals or clubs from different countries should
not compete against each other; it's the idea of "national teams" that is so
deplorable. In what sense does a British competitor in an international
competition represent me? Why should I care which country has the best
professional performer at (insert here any sport you like) any more than I
care which country has the best professional tinker, tailor or candlestick
maker? Why should I or my rowing club have to pay to support it all?

As a sometime international and Olympic oarsman, I say this with sadness,
but it would be better if the whole load of robbish was binned.

Alexander Lindsay

Kit

unread,
Dec 2, 2009, 11:29:41 AM12/2/09
to
On 2 Dec, 12:19, "Alexander Lindsay" <atlind...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> "Carl Douglas" <c...@carldouglas.co.uk> wrote in message

>
> news:7nn0fcF...@mid.individual.net...
>
>
>
> > Kit wrote:
> >> On 1 Dec, 21:27, Alistair <alistair.potts+...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>> Christopher Huhne (Eastleigh, Liberal Democrat):
>
> >>> To ask the Minister for the Olympics what estimate has been made of the
> >>> (a) compensation and (b) other costs associated with the closure of the
> >>> River Thames for the duration of the rowing events at the London 2012
> >>> Olympics.
>
> >>>      * Hansard source (Citation: HC Deb, 30 November 2009, c365W)
>
> >>> Tessa Jowell (Minister of State, Cabinet Office; Dulwich & West Norwood,
> >>> Labour):
>
> >>> No decision has been made to close any section of the River Thames for
> >>> the duration of the rowing events which are being hosted at Dorney Lake,
> >>> Windsor, for either the Olympic Games or the Paralympic Games. <thinks:
> >>> you utter utter moron thirty seconds of research would have given you
> >>> the answer this used to be the mother of parliaments you're probably
> >>> equally worried that I'll close down the shipping lanes in the English
> >>> Channel during the synchronised swimming I can't wait till I don't have
> >>> to answer these cretins only five more months...>
>
> >>http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/berkshire/hi/people_and_places/newsid_835...
> > Email: c...@carldouglas.co.uk  Tel: +44(0)1932-570946  Fax: -563682

> > URLs:  www.carldouglas.co.uk(boats) &www.aerowing.co.uk(riggers)
>
> Well said Sir!
>
> I have long felt that the world would be a better place if there were no
> internation "sporting" contest of any kind whatsoever.  I find the mere
> existence of national teams at any "sport" abhorrent.  They were perhaps
> tolerable when the ideal of amateurism was understood, but now they have
> become big business, at which full time professionals are funded by
> taxpayers and some earn huge sums of money, and have become means to
> national aggrandisement, they have lost all their purpose, and are certainly
> not "sport" in any meaningful sense.
>
> That is not to say that individuals or clubs from different countries should
> not compete against each other; it's the idea of "national teams" that is so
> deplorable.  In what sense does a British competitor in an international
> competition represent me?  Why should I care which country has the best
> professional performer at (insert here any sport you like) any more than I
> care which country has the best professional tinker, tailor or candlestick
> maker?  Why should I or my rowing club have to pay to support it all?
>
> As a sometime international and Olympic oarsman, I say this with sadness,
> but it would be better if the whole load of robbish was binned.
>
> Alexander Lindsay

My sympathies, Alexander. My father, a former Welsh rugby
international, laments the modern game in much the same way.

If you treat international sport purely as "sport" then you are
undoubtedly right, but in truth it is media-fuelled tribalism which,
whether you like or not, is a natural, human instinct. Maybe one day
the human race will have evolved away from tribalism but until then,
for all its faults, I would prefer that it is lived out on the
sporting field than the battlefield.

I detest the degree of media fuelling, and the way it creates
obscenely overpaid prima donnas, but I have no problem with the
concept of international sport.

Kit

Kit

Carl Douglas

unread,
Dec 11, 2009, 10:47:23 AM12/11/09
to

I'd like to agree but, unfortunately, the notion of sport being the
alternative to war took an awful knock in 1936, when it was all a part
of the build up to armed conflict & to various other genocidal
developments. And what did sports people do about that? They joined
in, of course, while they, but particularly their administrators & their
politicians, chose to ignore, or even to assist (think Avery Brundage)
in the systematic racial abuse which was already so evident & which
mushroomed thereafter.

We've had several subsequent OGs used to further one or another
political objective ever since. Now its main objective seems to be
money,which may be even more corrupting than all the rest.

On the topic of money: I've mentioned from time to time the sucking of
money out of grass-roots sport by the budgetary primacy of London 2012.
Of course, its not just sport that suffers. See:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8407702.stm
And there is no possible ambiguity about that one either.

As an aside, remember how the games was going to prove a big employment
boost? Yes, it's easy to forget hollow promises made only to get
consent of the gullible. But some may have notice that those least
entitled to work on the games site have been giving their cut price
services to the contractors, just as happened in the Athens construction
scandals. Only the other week more than 90 whom HMG says should not be
working here were turfed out of jobs on the Stratford site - which rubs
salt into the wounds of those who said the long-since broken promises of
all the benefits to flow from this fiesta would particularly benefit the
locals.

Carl
--
Carl Douglas Racing Shells -
Fine Small-Boats/AeRoWing Low-drag Riggers/Advanced Accessories
Write: Harris Boatyard, Laleham Reach, Chertsey KT16 8RP, UK
Find: http://tinyurl.com/2tqujf

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages