Creaking wrist. An update and a new question

Rob Kings

Aug 27, 2002, 6:13:39 AM8/27/02
Dear all

Following all or the many useful comments and suggestions here a few weeks
ago my tendonitis seems to have recovered. I used Ibuprofen gel (which
didn't seem to do much other than take the skin off my arm) and a metal
wrist brace (which helped enormously)

I've been doing weights now for about a week, and yesterday morning rowed
the actual boat for the first time. We did just under 1 hour and it felt
pretty good, so after a couple of weeks where I really thought I would have
to drop out I now feel pretty confident.

However, now for my next question. I had this problem on the Ergo, but it's
much more apparent now after 1 hour in the boat. I'm not sure how to phrase
this, so I'll come straight to the point "My arse is sore". Does anyone have
any suggestion?

I've bought a cheap foam camping mat and think I'll gaffer tape that round
the seat (A wooden bench) but does anyone have any other gems?

Cheers

Rob

Steve Fowler

Aug 27, 2002, 12:01:12 PM8/27/02
"Rob Kings" <r...@nospam.vitalpulse.com> wrote in message news:<3hIa9.3967$TD6.1...@newsfep2-win.server.ntli.net>...

Rob,

i think you mentioned you're doing the GRR - having done it a couple
of times, I can confirm that you're not alone in having a painful bum
in those horrible fixed seat boats. Everyone feels it the same and I'm
afraid it's just something you have to endure. However, you're doing
the right thing - we always cut up a camping mat and taped it on the
seats as you are doing, it's the best you can hope for. Afetr all,
you've only got to race it once a year!

If it makes you feel any better, we got overtaken right at the end of
last year's race by some ozzies who appeared to be sliding (sliding
seats being illegal in that race) so we had some words for them at the
finish, only for them to expose their derrieres to us to prove that
they had in fact been sliding on their bums on decking for 2.5 hours!
I think they were sorer than most!

Steve F

Peter King

Aug 29, 2002, 4:01:20 AM8/29/02
"Rob Kings" <r...@nospam.vitalpulse.com> wrote in message news:<3hIa9.3967$TD6.1...@newsfep2-win.server.ntli.net>...
> Dear all

Snip

> However, now for my next question. I had this problem on the Ergo, but it's
> much more apparent now after 1 hour in the boat. I'm not sure how to phrase
> this, so I'll come straight to the point "My arse is sore". Does anyone have
> any suggestion?
>
> I've bought a cheap foam camping mat and think I'll gaffer tape that round
> the seat (A wooden bench) but does anyone have any other gems?
>
> Cheers
>
> Rob

Rob,

I'm afraid that you'll have to be more specific, in my experience
there are 2 types of arse pain:

1. Numbness - your arse and frequently your legs go numb - solution -
get a new seat made that fits or use lots of padding, or move your
feet higher.

2. The blister that dare not speak it's name...A nasty blister between
your bum cheeks, solution - vaseline.

HTH

Pete

Rob Kings

Aug 29, 2002, 6:53:40 PM8/29/02
Peter

It's certainly not blisters. That sounds horrible. Is that a regular rowing
complaint?

It's not really the numbness either, though there is _some_ of that, it's
more a general bruising, making it uncomfortable to sit down. Yesterday on
the Ergo I tried some foam, some foam with a towel on, and finally some foam
on top of a towel.

I don't have any control over the seat. I'm rowing someone elses boat in the
Great River Race (www.greatriverrace.co.uk) and so it's a fixed wooden
bench. I'm going to gaffer tape a camping mat round the seat, and I might
stuff a towel in there first to make it even more padded.

Cheers

Rob

"Peter King" <peter...@uk.pwcglobal.com> wrote in message

Nick Morrell

Aug 30, 2002, 4:04:17 AM8/30/02

> It's certainly not blisters. That sounds horrible. Is that a regular rowing
> complaint?

I've never heard of blisters from a sliding seat.

It does remind me of a race at Nat Schools (UK) a few years back though.
I was racing in an VIII at the time, and my seat fell apart at shortly
after half way. It being a final, I didn't really feel I should stop, so
having shoved the remnants of the seat into the footwell, I proceeded to
row the best part of 1k sliding up and down the carbon decking. Now that
shouldn't have been too bad, but about 2/3 of the way back was one of
those round holes cut through the decking (it lacking under-seat
buoyancy of course ;-) ), with rather sharp edges.... Suffice it to say
I couldn't really sit down comfortably for some time!

Cheers,
Nick

Simon Wood

Aug 30, 2002, 4:19:02 AM8/30/02
Nick Morrell wrote:

> > It's certainly not blisters. That sounds horrible. Is that a regular rowing
> > complaint?
> >

> I've never heard of blisters from a sliding seat.

Well, I didn't want to be the first, but....

I've had numerous blistered arse episodes from doing ergos in sweaty conditions
after having had some time off from them. Nuff said.

I've also experienced immense discomfort from rowing in two crews, one using a
Simms VIII with single action plastic seats and the other a Jano IV with the
double action wooden seats. Essentially the holes in the seat are at different
widths on each seat, I think. My hips and pelvis weren't sure what was going on,
and I ended up with blisters, bruises, open sores and quite a lot of pain.
Sudocreme helped no end, as did a few padded dressings, but it was not nice at
all. I think it may have been a boney arse problem to a certain extent - although
doubtless those that know me would argue as to the validity of that statement.
Even now I often find it difficult to seat comfortably on the Janousek type
seats...

I'll let you all get back to your breakfasts...... ;-)

Simon Wood

Pm_wi...@notmail.com

Aug 30, 2002, 9:35:54 AM8/30/02
On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 09:19:02 +0100, Simon Wood <sa...@eng.cam.ac.uk>
wrote:

>Lots of stuff about arse blisters

My pairs partner is now suffering from arse blisters, caused by the
padded mat (Goddfrey) that he used because he claims his arse is too
bony.

Sort of a rock and a hard place ?

Wilf

Henry Law

Aug 30, 2002, 1:51:38 PM8/30/02
On 29 Aug 2002 01:01:20 -0700, peter...@uk.pwcglobal.com (Peter
King) wrote:

>2. The blister that dare not speak its name...A nasty blister between

>your bum cheeks, solution - vaseline.

You don't know how relieved I am to read this - I thought it was some
fundamental weakness in my nether regions. I've had this almost every
time I've been out for any length of time in one of our (Virus) play
boats (which are otherwise very good, BTW). The seat in a Virus is
all plastic and not shaped in the way that a shell seat normally is -
it's oblong essentially - and I think this must be something to do
with it.

I'll try the vaseline next time.
--
Henry Law <>< I'm henry (at) thelaws.demon.co.uk
Manchester, England

Persephone Wynn

Aug 31, 2002, 1:52:18 PM8/31/02
Henry Law <spam...@thelaws.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<20cvmugtjvjfngmnc...@4ax.com>...

> On 29 Aug 2002 01:01:20 -0700, peter...@uk.pwcglobal.com (Peter
> King) wrote:
>
> >2. The blister that dare not speak its name...A nasty blister between
> >your bum cheeks, solution - vaseline.
>
> You don't know how relieved I am to read this - I thought it was some
> fundamental weakness in my nether regions. I've had this almost every
> time I've been out for any length of time in one of our (Virus) play
> boats (which are otherwise very good, BTW). The seat in a Virus is
> all plastic and not shaped in the way that a shell seat normally is -
> it's oblong essentially - and I think this must be something to do
> with it.
>
> I'll try the vaseline next time.

I think that it is basically down to the design of the seats - and
most seats appear to modelled on male bums - you guys think you have
problems - be thankful that you don't have a woman's physique. I hope
that someone will soon come up with a solution - similar to gel seats
on cycles.

In the meantime.....I use a sorbothane seat pad for very long rows and
a Godfrey seat pad for shorter rows. In the days when I was daft
enough to do the Lincoln to Boston marathon I used to start out
padless, put the sorbothane one on sometime between Bardney Lock and
Kirkstead Bridge and then put the second pad (pre Godfrey's seat
pads)on when I was about 8 miles out. I never had a blister on my
bum, but hands were another matter altogether.....

Robert Treharne Jones

Sep 4, 2002, 7:13:13 AM9/4/02
Dear Rob

It sounds like you have some inflammation on the surface of the ischial
tuberosities - they are the lumps of bone you actually sit on when you sit
down. If you prod around the nether regions of your bum as you are sitting
now you can feel these lumps deep within the muscle - they are part of the
pelvic bone.

These lumps tend to be protected by muscle and/or flattish bags of lubricant
fluid called bursae when you sit - but if you have been resting then you
need to get used o the idea again.It is just possible that the tuberosities
or bursae may require a steroid injection to hurry things along so I
recommend a trip to see your (sports-orientated) medical advisor.

Robert

> It's not really the numbness either, though there is _some_ of that, it's
> more a general bruising, making it uncomfortable to sit down. Yesterday on
> the Ergo I tried some foam, some foam with a towel on, and finally some
foam
> on top of a towel.

Rob Kings

Sep 4, 2002, 10:15:10 AM9/4/02
Robert

Many thanks for the reply. In fact I do seem to be getting better, I guess
my backside was just a little out of practise. I Erg'ed for an hour
yesterday and it wasn't too bad. The last couple of sessions I've kept my
feet out of the straps and tried to keep the seat still.

I've also managed a couple of hours in the actual boat, which was great. One
up in Norfolk in quite choppy conditions, and one on the Thames last
Saturday (From Richmond bridge to Teddington lock and back) on a really
beautiful day. I think I might buy a house on the river with a little boat
dock in somewhere like Ham (Not!)

Anyway, the race is on Saturday and I don't plan to row again before then,
so I suppose it's a case of "Here I come, ready or not."

Cheers

Rob

"Robert Treharne Jones" <tjwi...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message