Hand Care

Roger

Oct 31, 2002, 11:54:20 AM10/31/02
Has anyone got any suggestions on how best to look after your hands. I
find that during the winter with more ergo training than rowing my
hands get a bit soft and I suffer from blisters once we get back into
boats.

Rob Ennals

Oct 31, 2002, 4:19:13 PM10/31/02
Roger wrote:

I've heard stories about people rubbing their hands with rough stuff to
make sure that their hands stay calloused.

Sounds a bit weird, but probably works rather well.

-Rob

Neil Wallace

Oct 31, 2002, 4:36:27 PM10/31/02

"Rob Ennals" <rj...@cam.ac.uk> wrote in message

my wife wouldn't recognise me in the dark if my calluses wore off!!

Sandpaper sounds good!

Neil

Jon Anderson

Oct 31, 2002, 4:46:33 PM10/31/02

You can get this hardener stuff for skin can't you?

Anyone know more?

Jon
--
Durge: j...@durge.org http://users.durge.org/~jon/
OnStream: acco...@rowing.org.uk http://www.rowing.org.uk/

[ All views expressed are personal unless otherwise stated ]

Caroline Smith

Nov 1, 2002, 5:42:51 AM11/1/02
I keep getting sent adverts for
http://www.gk-elitesportswear.com/details.asp?category=17&sku=GK47
which is designed for gymnasts but, having been a gymnast and (briefly) a
rower, I reckon hands go through the same sort of things in both sports.
Could be work a try I guess...

Martin Harris

Nov 1, 2002, 5:46:44 AM11/1/02
At training camp several years ago (Thanks Bob Silver!) I was advised
about a great product, but it is a bit embarrassing for a bloke to
purchase...
Available in the UK from Boots the Chemist, it is 'nipple spray' -
designed for lactating mothers.
Stop laughing - it works a treat.

It contains antiseptic and moisturiser, is hypoallergenic, easily
absorbed, doesn't smell and comes in a handy pump action container. I
used it during training camp where there was minimal time for hands to
heal between outings. Lots of blade swapping so you end up with
someone elses 'residue' on a handle before an outing.
Fantastic stuff.

Re 'don't grip and get blisters' I have had to spend a few weeks at
the beginning of each season creating a layer of hardened skin which
protects rather than creates blisters. I obviously grip like a
maniac...:)

So - I'm off to Boots to embarass a sales girl.

M@7

Judith Howell

Nov 1, 2002, 7:21:14 AM11/1/02
If you really want appalling blisters that's a good way to get them!
Much better to go for tough hands with flexible skin, aim for
something similiar to what you get on your feet if you walk around
barefoot in the summer. The best thing I've ever found to treat hands
is the Neutrogena Norwegian Intensive handcream, which was developed
to help trawlermen avoid their skin hardening and cracking up - the
pain of salt water into open cuts must be terrible.

It's quite heavy and greasy, so not to be used right before an outing,
but I generally find that if I put it on once during the day it lasts
well enough until the evening and avoids the slimy effect when the
person two seats ahead backsplashes on every stroke.

The collective rowing experience in my generation of my family, which
is now something like 25 years, is not to puncture blisters - unless
they're the pointy ones you get on the palm of your hands or flats of
your fingers - and apply savlon or germolene plus plasters overnight
to help open wounds heal up. Strapping with micropore before an outing
should at least let you get the warm-up out of the way and numb your
hands before it wears off, and a recent development is the discovery
that insulating tape over micropore helps it to stay in place.

Try to avoid picking at callusses when in business meetings,
especially if you pull into live skin and it bleeds everywhere, other
people find this offensive and chewing at your fingers has a similar
effect; and if you're a girl or feel that way inclined, avoid buying
10 denier tights as you'll ladder them on your hands :-).

Of course as I tell my brothers who have/had hands like a rhinoceros's
behind - good technique helps ......
jmh

Darren Rhodes

Nov 1, 2002, 7:39:57 AM11/1/02
For what it's worth here's what I do and did following this year's
Boston Marathon (good test for blisters):

1) After showering and cleaing up after an outing, get to work with a
clean pair of scissors cutting the blisters off and triming the skin
nicely. Sterilise the scissors first of course!

2) If you can bear it (I can sometimes), apply Surgical Spirits over
the hands after all blister fluid has been wiped away.

Be warned, this can sting like a LOT!

3) Until the next outing, keep using Vaseline or similar hand cream to
stop the new skin cracking.

Generally I find my blisters clear up pretty quick this way. Once hard
skin has formed, looking after it by removing excess with the afore
mentioned sterilised scissors prevents more blisters form forming.
Usually.

I'm told rock climbing gloves work well if it's really bad as they're
very thin but strong.

Everyone's different. I have heard stories of people who train really
hard and often still getting blisters regularly. And, I have heard
stores of those who train infrequently who never get 'em.

BTW, I don't accept any responsibility for obscenities as a result of
doing the above.

Ed Johnson

Nov 1, 2002, 9:25:59 AM11/1/02
Jon Anderson <j...@durge.org> wrote in message news:<aps8e0$pa0$2...@dolphin.grid-zero.net>...
> Roger wrote:
> > Has anyone got any suggestions on how best to look after your hands. I
> > find that during the winter with more ergo training than rowing my
> > hands get a bit soft and I suffer from blisters once we get back into
> > boats.
>
> You can get this hardener stuff for skin can't you?
>
> Anyone know more?
>
> Jon

I have used Germolene's "second skin" when doing the Boston Marathon
and also at other times eg training camp. It is some kind of lue type
plastic thing that dries to form a layer a bit like PVA glue that
seems to offer some extra protection. However it really stings if you
put it on an open wound or burst blister- but no pain no gain!

This doesn't hardern your hands up in the long term but is good for
one offs. I have heard of people using white spirit to try to harden
their hands, but I've no idea if this actually works.

Micropore tape over blisters is quite good for protecting damage
during subsequent outings, and electrical tape also seems quite
popular!
BTW gloves will just make things worse!

Hope some of this helps

Ed

Hihihi

Nov 1, 2002, 9:58:28 AM11/1/02

"Ed Johnson" <edward....@ic.ac.uk> wrote in message

> Jon Anderson <j...@durge.org> wrote in message
> > Roger wrote:
> > > Has anyone got any suggestions on how best to look after your hands. I
> > > find that during the winter with more ergo training than rowing my
> > > hands get a bit soft and I suffer from blisters once we get back into
> > > boats.

<snip>

> Micropore tape over blisters is quite good for protecting damage
> during subsequent outings, and electrical tape also seems quite
> popular!

Actually, when I get blisters, they usually open up in no time. I end up
cutting the loose skin off. If the place is still sensitive, I use sports
tape.
Take a long piece, fold part of it double, put the double folded (and not
sticky) part on your skin, and tape it with the sticky part. You can also
take a long and a short piece, and stuck the short piece in the middle of
the long piece. I hope this makes sense.

Higs,

Hihihi, who is now past her blister period

--
send e-mail to Hih...@mail2blonde.com
(that is, if you want a reply)

simonk

Nov 1, 2002, 10:01:58 AM11/1/02

"Darren Rhodes" <r0...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> For what it's worth here's what I do and did following this year's
> Boston Marathon (good test for blisters):
>
> 1) After showering and cleaing up after an outing, get to work with a
> clean pair of scissors cutting the blisters off and triming the skin
> nicely. Sterilise the scissors first of course!

With you up to here - I use a hydrocolloid dressing like Compeed on raw,
popped blisters. It's like an elastoplast made out of a sticky gel
substance - it covers the wound, and supplies lots of moisture to help it
heal. For me they also seem to instantly numb the pain.

They stay on in the shower if you're careful, and generally if they're left
on for 24 hours as recommended the blister heals up enough so you can go
plasterless (though it obviously depends on how bad your blisters are). If
I need to row with one of these on I cover it with loads of micropore - they
don't withstand mechanical wear and tear too well.

--
simonk

Edd Edmondson

Nov 1, 2002, 10:25:00 AM11/1/02
Ed Johnson <edward....@ic.ac.uk> wrote:

> Micropore tape over blisters is quite good for protecting damage
> during subsequent outings, and electrical tape also seems quite
> popular!

Micropore just falls off with me. I swear by Muller tape.

Also, ask your friendly local rock climber. Their hands get in a much
worse state than ours. That's how I discovered Muller tape.

--
Edd

Iain Cheyne

Nov 1, 2002, 4:14:00 PM11/1/02
edward....@ic.ac.uk (Ed Johnson) wrote in

> BTW gloves will just make things worse!

I could not disagree more.

I use a pair of Thunderwear Gloves whenever my hands get very blistered or
I've cut my knuckles with my nails (the curse of the messy sculler). They
don't interfere with my sculling at all. They are tough, tight and are held
on to my wrist with a velcro strap. I went a quicker after I bought them,
as my infrequent sculling meant that the main factor slowing me down was my
terrible blisters. The only disadvantage is that they are too hot in the
height of summer, although they are very comfortable in winter.

http://www.joyofrowing.com/rowingparts/gloves.html

People should ignore the macho bullshit that says that gloves are for
wimps.

--
Iain Cheyne
Remove the numbers and change "invalid" to "net" to reply.

Steven Maynard-Moody

Nov 1, 2002, 9:52:03 PM11/1/02
I agree 100% and have used Thunderwear gloves for a number of years. I
almost never wear them; like most rowers I much prefer rowing with bare
hands. But if I'm doing an unusually long piece (2+ hours) I may wear them
for the first half just as a preventative or if for some reason my hands
have blistered (say it was unusually humid) then they help protect my wounds
for rapid recovery. I'm cursed with hands that blister easily and am too old
for macho bullshit. I'm also amazed at the coaches who won't let their rower
to wear gloves so they can feel the oar but then use layers of sports tape.
I can guarantee that you get much better grip and feel with Thunderwear
gloves than even one layer of sports tape. I also recall when I played
college soccer (football to most of you) in the early 1970s no goalie would
ever wear gloves, and now...!?

--
Best, Steven

"Iain Cheyne" <ia...@c1h2e3y4n5e.invalid> wrote in message

Neil Wallace

Nov 3, 2002, 7:52:39 AM11/3/02

"Steven Maynard-Moody" <s-mayna...@ku.edu> wrote in message

> I agree 100% and have used Thunderwear gloves for a number of years. I
> almost never wear them; like most rowers I much prefer rowing with bare
> hands. But if I'm doing an unusually long piece (2+ hours) I may wear them
> for the first half just as a preventative or if for some reason my hands
> have blistered (say it was unusually humid) then they help protect my
wounds
> for rapid recovery. I'm cursed with hands that blister easily and am too
old
> for macho bullshit. I'm also amazed at the coaches who won't let their
rower
> to wear gloves so they can feel the oar but then use layers of sports
tape.
> I can guarantee that you get much better grip and feel with Thunderwear
> gloves than even one layer of sports tape. I also recall when I played
> college soccer (football to most of you) in the early 1970s no goalie
would
> ever wear gloves, and now...!?
>
> --
> Best, Steven

Does anyone know how to get Thunderwear gloves in the UK??

I need a pair and I need it quickly (Sculling camp 3 weeks away)

Neil

Iain Cheyne

Nov 3, 2002, 12:21:52 PM11/3/02
"Neil Wallace" <rowing.golfer@*nospam*virgin.net> wrote in

> Does anyone know how to get Thunderwear gloves in the UK??
> I need a pair and I need it quickly (Sculling camp 3 weeks away)

I ordered them direct from the States. They got to me in about a week.

Hihihi

Nov 4, 2002, 5:25:59 AM11/4/02

"Iain Cheyne" <ia...@c1h2e3y4n5e.invalid> wrote in message

> edward....@ic.ac.uk (Ed Johnson) wrote in
>
> > BTW gloves will just make things worse!
>
> I could not disagree more.
>
> I use a pair of Thunderwear Gloves whenever my hands get very blistered or
> I've cut my knuckles with my nails (the curse of the messy sculler). They

<snip rest>

How long are your nails then? I stopped cutting myself when I started
keeping my nails short.
I do sometimes bang my left handle onto my right hand though, but that's not
a big deal.

Higs,

Hihihi

Jay

Nov 4, 2002, 8:52:47 AM11/4/02
We used to use a thing called merthiolate (I think that's the spelling). My
first aid teacher at school said the stuff was bad because it contained a
mercury derivative that killed everything (even the good stuff) on the skin, but
it does sterilize the would and creates a thin layer of dead skin on the
surface, knida like a mini callus. Just beware I think the jury is out on
whether this is more painful than surgical spirits. Does work if you let is dry
for a day or two.

Jay

Ewoud Dronkert

Nov 4, 2002, 9:34:53 AM11/4/02
Jay wrote:
> We used to use a thing called merthiolate [...]

> creates a thin layer of dead
> skin on the surface, knida like a mini callus.

Or try camphorated spirits. Can be bought in drug stores or farmacies (no
prescription). Rub hands every evening, hardens the skin noticeably in 1 or
2 weeks. It's amazing, Mike!

Iain Cheyne

Nov 4, 2002, 12:16:31 PM11/4/02
"Hihihi" <Hih...@eurosport.com> wrote in message news:<aq5hvn$emr$1...@news.tue.nl>...

> How long are your nails then? I stopped cutting myself when I started
> keeping my nails short.

I cut my nails right down to the pink, especially on my left middle
and index fingers.

It's generally not a problem for me with single sculling, but rough
water sculling in a 4x can turn into a bit of a bloodbath.

--
Iain

Hihihi

Nov 5, 2002, 7:11:32 AM11/5/02

"Iain Cheyne" <iainatcheyne...@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message

Still strange, though less. Do you cut them right before rowing? (they tend
to be pretty sharp at first, is my experience).
But then again, rough water is nasty.

Neil Wallace

Nov 5, 2002, 1:13:54 PM11/5/02

> "Neil Wallace" <rowing.golfer@*nospam*virgin.net> wrote in
>
> > Does anyone know how to get Thunderwear gloves in the UK??
> > I need a pair and I need it quickly (Sculling camp 3 weeks away)
>
> I ordered them direct from the States. They got to me in about a week.
>
> --
> Iain Cheyne

Iain,

did you get them from here? (the link you gave earlier)

http://www.joyofrowing.com/rowingparts/gloves.html

The guy's e-mail is bouncing (full inbox) and the phone number on the site
is incorrect (spoke to a rather baffled Canuuk lady twice).

regards

Neil

Steven Maynard-Moody

Nov 5, 2002, 8:18:36 PM11/5/02
You could also try Alden, who I assume will send stuff abroad:
www.rowalden.com

--
Best, Steven

"Neil Wallace" <rowing.golfer@*NOSPAM*virgin.net> wrote in message

Roger

Nov 6, 2002, 3:38:23 AM11/6/02
"Hihihi" <Hih...@eurosport.com> wrote in message news:<aq8chl$6r5$1...@news.tue.nl>...

> "Iain Cheyne" <iainatcheyne...@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
> > "Hihihi" <Hih...@eurosport.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > How long are your nails then? I stopped cutting myself when I started
> > > keeping my nails short.
> >
> > I cut my nails right down to the pink, especially on my left middle
> > and index fingers.
> >
> > It's generally not a problem for me with single sculling, but rough
> > water sculling in a 4x can turn into a bit of a bloodbath.
>
> Still strange, though less. Do you cut them right before rowing? (they tend
> to be pretty sharp at first, is my experience).
> But then again, rough water is nasty.

So then in answer to my question about handcare the answers are:

Dont burst the blisters (unless you think it will help)
Apply skin softeners (or hardeners)
Wear gloves (or not)
Keep the callouses (or remove them)
Cut your nails
Learn to row properly.

I'm sorry if you think I'm being a little ungrateful here but.....

As there is so much experience out there then I guess there is bound
to be so much varied opinion on the subject and at the end of the day
it boils down to whatever works for the individual.

I must admit that I don't burst blisters I try to let them harden
naturally, this builds up a layer of hard skin which prevents new
ones. Maybe the answer is to use something to harden the skin quickly
at the start of the season and then softeners to keep the hands supple
once hard skin has built up.

Roger

> Higs,
>
> Hihihi

Iain Cheyne

Nov 6, 2002, 4:38:12 AM11/6/02
> "Neil Wallace" <rowing.golfer@*NOSPAM*virgin.net> wrote in message

> > did you get them from here? (the link you gave earlier)

> > http://www.joyofrowing.com/rowingparts/gloves.html
> >
> > The guy's e-mail is bouncing (full inbox) and the phone number on the site
> > is incorrect (spoke to a rather baffled Canuuk lady twice).

I can't remember exactly where I bought them from I'm afraid. I just
used the joyofrowing link to illustrate what they looked like.

"Steven Maynard-Moody" <s-mayna...@ku.edu> wrote in message news:<aq9qlr$76l$1...@news.cc.ukans.edu>...

> You could also try Alden, who I assume will send stuff abroad:
> www.rowalden.com

They are probably your best bet. There are a few other suppliers on
this search:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?&q=rowing+gloves

Sorry I can't be more help,

--
Iain

Hihihi

Nov 6, 2002, 7:38:04 AM11/6/02

"Roger" <tl...@angelfire.com> wrote in message
<snip>

> So then in answer to my question about handcare the answers are:
>
> Dont burst the blisters (unless you think it will help)
> Apply skin softeners (or hardeners)
> Wear gloves (or not)
> Keep the callouses (or remove them)
> Cut your nails
> Learn to row properly.

Pretty much, yes. Different people have different ideas, and different skins
and stuff I guess. I used to row in a boat that someone else rowed in as
well. I loved the handles, because they gave me grip. (the oars had blue
ribbled handles). The other girl had her hands completely open. So much so,
that she couldn't shake hands anymore. Kind of the two extremes of skin
behaviour.

> I'm sorry if you think I'm being a little ungrateful here but.....

I don't. It's always good to summarize things, to make clear what's being
said.

> As there is so much experience out there then I guess there is bound
> to be so much varied opinion on the subject and at the end of the day
> it boils down to whatever works for the individual.

Definitely!

> I must admit that I don't burst blisters I try to let them harden
> naturally, this builds up a layer of hard skin which prevents new
> ones. Maybe the answer is to use something to harden the skin quickly
> at the start of the season and then softeners to keep the hands supple
> once hard skin has built up.

Sounds like a good idea. Please inform us of the results!

Higs,

Hihihi, who feels like reacting today.

Steven Maynard-Moody

Nov 6, 2002, 8:45:13 AM11/6/02
See below for my view on all the issues.

--
Best, Steven

... >

> So then in answer to my question about handcare the answers are:
>
> Dont burst the blisters (unless you think it will help)

In general I think you shouldn't burst them, but if they have burst on their
own I cut away all the dead skin and treat the raw skin below. I first use
hydrogen peroxide to dry them out (very painful) and then put neosporin
ointment and a bandaide (is that what Brits call "plasters"?).

> Apply skin softeners (or hardeners)

I've never used skin hardeners but suspect it is a good idea. But you still
want your skin to be supple, not brittle.

> Wear gloves (or not)

Wear gloves as little as possible, hopefully never. Put them on if you feel
you are developing a blister -- prevention is best -- or after you have
developed blisters. Maybe wear them for the first half of very long pieces
or races (2+ hours). If it is hot, your hands will sweat more with gloves
and that can make the moist skin more likely to blister. If it is cold
gloves, like a hat and long tights, just feel better. If it is cold you can
also wear poggies, but they always felt more constricting to me than gloves.

> Keep the callouses (or remove them)

Keep them but don't develop "tall" callouses behind the finger joints as you
might, as I do, develop blisters under your callouses. I use a pumice stone
to "flatten" them.

> Cut your nails

Absolutely

> Learn to row properly.

Absolutely, but even if you row properly you may get blisters.

Neil Wallace

Nov 6, 2002, 10:08:47 AM11/6/02

> hydrogen peroxide to dry them out (very painful) and then put neosporin
> ointment and a bandaide (is that what Brits call "plasters"?).

Correct Steven, the correct term would be an "elastoplast" or "a plaster".

In Great Britain, the phrase "Band-Aid" is associated with a rather
successful Christmas charity popular music combo formed under the leadership
of Sir Robert Geldof in 1984.

You may have heard the track.... it contains one famous line of
Amusement....
"and there won't be snow in Africa this Christmas..."
Obviously Sir Robert has never been on the summit of Kilimanjaro.

But I digress......

Ewoud Dronkert

Nov 6, 2002, 11:05:17 AM11/6/02
On Wed, 6 Nov 2002 15:08:47 -0000, Neil Wallace wrote:
>"and there won't be snow in Africa this Christmas..."
>Obviously Sir Robert has never been on the summit of Kilimanjaro.

That may be, but there is more and more truth in those words.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/news/words/general/011107_witn.shtml
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20021019/ts_nm/environment_kilimanjaro_dc_3

chris harrison

Nov 6, 2002, 11:23:24 AM11/6/02

Pedantically, or whether this merely underlines Ewoud's links, I'm not
sure, but <placedrop>when I was at Kili's summit</placedrop> there was
no snow, just rock. There were glaciers around and about, but just ice
and rock at the summit itself.

Neil Wallace

Nov 6, 2002, 11:57:57 AM11/6/02

"chris harrison" <ch...@lowfield.com> wrote in message

> Pedantically, or whether this merely underlines Ewoud's links, I'm not
> sure, but <placedrop>when I was at Kili's summit</placedrop> there was
> no snow, just rock. There were glaciers around and about, but just ice
> and rock at the summit itself.

and you were there at Christmas??

but no ice cap in 20 years is very interesting.

Also intersting is that Scotland's mountain snow distribution has shown no
statistical change over the last 100 years, and it was news to me that the
biggest factor is not temperature but precipitation levels.

I wonder if Kilimanjaro is the same... not so much global warming as
drought?

Neil Wallace

Nov 6, 2002, 11:59:47 AM11/6/02

"Steven Maynard-Moody" <s-mayna...@ku.edu> wrote in message

> You could also try Alden, who I assume will send stuff abroad:
> www.rowalden.com
>
> --
> Best, Steven

Thankyou Sir,

just placed an order.

Neil (big nancy boy with the hands of a baby)

Henry Law

Nov 6, 2002, 1:33:21 PM11/6/02
On Wed, 6 Nov 2002 13:38:04 +0100, "Hihihi" <Hih...@eurosport.com>
wrote:

>and stuff I guess. I used to row in a boat that someone else rowed in as
>well. I loved the handles, because they gave me grip. (the oars had blue
>ribbled handles). The other girl had her hands completely open. So much so,
>that she couldn't shake hands anymore. Kind of the two extremes of skin
>behaviour.

I can relate to that: mostly I row with wooden handles and my hands
are pretty used to it now. Fierce blisters for a few weeks at the
beginning of last year, but after the summer layoff this year just a
little discomfort and no blistering. But see if I start rowing with
those plastic-handled things! Instant skin shredding. I loathe
them.
--
Henry Law <>< I'm henry (at) thelaws.demon.co.uk
Manchester, England

Ewoud Dronkert

Nov 6, 2002, 1:45:10 PM11/6/02
On Wed, 6 Nov 2002 13:38:04 +0100, Hihihi wrote:
>I loved the handles, because they gave me grip. (the oars had blue
>ribbled handles).

Ribbed for your pleasure.

Thomas Johnson

Nov 6, 2002, 3:59:08 PM11/6/02
Henry Law wrote:

I've never rowed with blades with ribbed handles, but I find that ergos
give me worse blisters than the wooden handles on blades.

Thomas

Hihihi

Nov 7, 2002, 4:14:30 AM11/7/02

"Ewoud Dronkert" <nos...@invalid.info> wrote in message

Yep! I have the same type now, and still love them!

Higs,

Hihihi

Jay

Nov 7, 2002, 5:00:20 AM11/7/02
Those stupid blue handles blistered the hell out of my hands! Tried them
for about 3 months, hands just would not get used to them, reverted to
the old black ones and had to clean all the gunk off after every
session...

Hihihi

Nov 8, 2002, 9:34:55 AM11/8/02

"Jay" <s992...@student.up.ac.za> wrote in message

> Those stupid blue handles blistered the hell out of my hands! Tried them
> for about 3 months, hands just would not get used to them, reverted to
> the old black ones and had to clean all the gunk off after every
> session...

So are you ok with the black ones? Methinks they have different kinds of
handles because there are different people with different needs/wants?
It's what I said before, not everyone has the same kind of skin.

Rob Ennals

Nov 8, 2002, 11:17:59 AM11/8/02
Hihihi wrote:

> "Jay" <s992...@student.up.ac.za> wrote in message
>> Those stupid blue handles blistered the hell out of my hands! Tried them
>> for about 3 months, hands just would not get used to them, reverted to
>> the old black ones and had to clean all the gunk off after every
>> session...
>>
> So are you ok with the black ones? Methinks they have different kinds of
> handles because there are different people with different needs/wants?
> It's what I said before, not everyone has the same kind of skin.

I think it is partly just whatever one's hands have got used to.

Whenever I switch between Concept II blades and Croker blades, my hands get
hideously blistered, but once I have rowed with either for a while, my
hands are fine.

-Rob

Henning Lippke

Nov 8, 2002, 1:56:27 PM11/8/02
> Those stupid blue handles blistered the hell out of my hands! Tried them
> for about 3 months, hands just would not get used to them, reverted to
> the old black ones and had to clean all the gunk off after every
> session...

You can try this (from C2 website):
The black rubber sculling grips will age over time with exposure to
sunlight. This may result in some of the surface layer of black coming off
on your hands as you row. To alleviate this problem, you can clean the grips
periodically by scrubbing them with water and a non-abrasive pad. Grips can
be easily replaced when they wear out.

I do this once in a while, and the grips feel better after this treatment
(more 'grip' overall) and less black rubber on my hands. Which fortunately
mostly comes off when I clean my boat.

-HL