rowing movies

已查看 430 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Russ Young

未读,
1995年3月1日 00:37:591995/3/1
收件人
In article <3ir6h4$s...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, two...@aol.com (TWO2MAN) wrote:

> Are there any movies about rowing BESIDES "Oxford Blues"?

I saw a particularly bad made-for-TV movie a few years ago about a boy
genius who becomes the varsity coxswain at the University of Washington.

I seem to remember Dick Erickson co-starring as the crusty but benign
coach, and I believe the Husky men's crew turned in strong performances as
... the Husky men's crew.

Unfortunately, I think I've all but blotted out the memory of wasting two
hours watching this. Maybe someone else has better recall.

Russ Young
Seattle, WA USA

"It's better to be killed than scared to death ..."

John Stenzel

未读,
1995年3月3日 19:29:581995/3/3
收件人
I'm writing an article about rowing in the movies and on
TV, and want to make sure I'm not overlooking some gem.
Besides recent films like "The River Wild," "Indochine,"
and "The Firm" that contained rowing scenes (however
short), I'm looking at "A Yank at Oxford," "Oxford
Blues," and "Boy in Blue." One less mainstream film
I'll discuss is "Hey Babu Riba" (yes, in Serbo-Croatian
with English subtitles, no less). On the small screen--
anything besides the NatGeo documentary on the Thames
and various commercials (most recently for Extra gum)
and a couple of MTV clips? Respond or e-mail--footnote
credit given for anything usable!
Thanks (by the way, I'd originally intended to post
this as the start of a new thread, but I'm glad I checked
first!).

--
John Stenzel
English Department, UCDavis

Sullys Maze

未读,
1995年3月6日 21:52:391995/3/6
收件人
In article <3j8ca6$o...@mark.ucdavis.edu>,

fzst...@rocky.ucdavis.edu (John Stenzel) writes:
>I'm writing an article about rowing in the movies and on
>TV, and want to make sure I'm not overlooking some gem.
>Besides recent films like "The River Wild," "Indochine,"
>and "The Firm" that contained rowing scenes (however
>short), I'm looking at "A Yank at Oxford," "Oxford
>Blues," and "Boy in Blue." One less mainstream film
>I'll discuss is "Hey Babu Riba" (yes, in Serbo-Croatian
>with English subtitles, no less). On the small screen--
>anything besides the NatGeo documentary on the Thames
>and various commercials (most recently for Extra gum)
>and a couple of MTV clips? Respond or e-mail--footnote
>credit given for anything usable!
>Thanks (by the way, I'd originally intended to post

I'm sure The Strawberry Statement has been mentioned. What hasn't
been mentioned is a movie by Buster Keaton. It was called something
LIKE The Freshman???, or something. It was filmed in Newport, Ca,
and Buster does some AMAZING stunts on, in, under, around an 8
racing. He is supposedly a coxswain for a big University. The
film was about this cox, so needless to say it's ALL rowing. Boats
sink, implausible stunts are done, all in all good fun.

You anteater Crew folks should really get a hold of this film to see
what your upscale Newport looked like in the 20s. They filmed most
of it near the ferry lanes toward the peninsula. You see beach
beach beach beach (house) beach beach OLD PAVILION beach beach
beach.........

When this was filmed in the 20s, there was no rowing in Newport.
They hauled in some eights from somewhere else (San Diego? Cal?)
Cal Rowers? Long Beach? I've forgotten all my SoCal rowing
history, I used to know this stuff. It's not like there's a LOT of
it.

There was a boathouse in the film, NO IDEA where it came from, nor
where it went. One of the old timers told me that he remembered
a boathouse built and dismantled within a year's period. Of course
he told me a japanese sub came into the jetty once in '42.

I've seen this film once, and haven't found it since.

There is ANOTHER movie called the Freshman, I'm sure, about
football, this is not it. (That one had the other silent movie
Comedic great - Harold Lloyd.)

I'm sure I have stuff all wrong, correct me please, but I swear I've
seen this film. :^)

Mike

Mark Conan McMackin

未读,
1995年3月7日 09:06:181995/3/7
收件人
: I'm sure The Strawberry Statement has been mentioned. What hasn't

: been mentioned is a movie by Buster Keaton. It was called something
: LIKE The Freshman???, or something. It was filmed in Newport, Ca,
: and Buster does some AMAZING stunts on, in, under, around an 8
: racing. He is supposedly a coxswain for a big University. The
: film was about this cox, so needless to say it's ALL rowing. Boats
: sink, implausible stunts are done, all in all good fun.

: I'm sure I have stuff all wrong, correct me please, but I swear I've
: seen this film. :^)

: Mike

Mike,
You have picked a great one. Everyone has been told about where
to step in a boat, but they have never seen anyone really step in
the wrong way, as does Keaton. If you want to take another peak at
it, I have a copy of the rowing scene, along with the rowing scenes
from Ben Hur, Moby Dick, Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome, and
shots from the 95 Worlds and a bunch of other stuff. The tracking is
poor because some were taped at different speeds but it's good for a
laugh if you have a beer, or good for a distraction if you are on
an erg.

I have recently lent it to someone at Univ of Nebraska but I am sure
she will be sick of it soon and return it. I was going to lend it to
a guy in Syracuse but I lost his address (in case he is listening). So
if you want to see Keaton using his bum as a rudder again, give me a yell.

Mark McMackin
Alexandria Community Rowing

S N Travis

未读,
1995年3月6日 12:01:101995/3/6
收件人
In the referenced article, two...@aol.com (TWO2MAN) writes:

>Are there any movies about rowing BESIDES "Oxford Blues"?

Check out "A Yank at Oxford" (The film of which "Oxford Blues" was a
remake), made in 1938 or so. A classic, especially the scene:

[Scene of 2 eights racing the Boat Race; cut to stroke of Oxford eight]

Stroke (who also happens to be the aformentioned Yank): "OK boys, lets
take her up to 48."

All this said whilst looking fresh, non-sweaty and not short of breath...

Steve Travis
Bath University "A gentleman never has any money."
hsp...@bath.ac.uk Oscar Wilde

Joel Furtek

未读,
1995年3月7日 15:24:091995/3/7
收件人
In article <3j8ca6$o...@mark.ucdavis.edu>
fzst...@rocky.ucdavis.edu (John Stenzel) writes:

> On the small screen--
> anything besides the NatGeo documentary on the Thames
> and various commercials (most recently for Extra gum)
> and a couple of MTV clips?

There was the "Family Ties" takeoff of Oxford Blues, where Alex goes to England
and gets drafted onto Oxford or Cambridge's crew (apologies to both
Universities for the confusion...). There's some footage of Michael J. Fox
actually rowing in an otherwise normal eight, as I recall.

No idea how you'd get a hold of this, but let me know if you do!

Joel

Joel A. Furtek Coach, Novice Women's Rowing On Yule Farm
YLC - EARC 89,90 University of Virginia with Carol
Grad Ex Phys Varsity in 1995-6! Kona & Elsa

JR...@utcvm.utc.edu

未读,
1995年3月8日 09:31:261995/3/8
收件人
In article <D5139...@bath.ac.uk>
hsp...@bath.ac.uk (S N Travis) writes:

kluyjuytgjug

John Heder

未读,
1995年3月9日 13:35:221995/3/9
收件人
There was a little Canadian documentary ( "A Part of Our
Heritige" series) called THE PARIS CREW. It was a passable piece of
work, but the only problem was that they hired extras that could row
much better than the four actors who were 'the Paris crew'. The races
were hilariously slow and the lead boat always looked in grave danger
of tipping. In all though it was a nice little documentary which
introduced rowing to alot of Canadians.

JMEGG

未读,
1995年3月11日 18:50:461995/3/11
收件人
The Boy in Blue --Nicolas Cage
It's not a very good movie.
Josh

michael roy

未读,
1995年3月13日 16:25:371995/3/13
收件人
John Stenzel (fzst...@rocky.ucdavis.edu) wrote:
: I'm writing an article about rowing in the movies and on

--
If you check out the beginning of the exorcist, there is a shot of the
highschool varsity at Washington and Lee rowing on the Potomac. One of
my friends was in that boat. Also, there is a beer commercial (Lite
maybe) shot on Lake quinsigamond in Worcester MA with an eight in it,
and then the guys on the dock. One more is With Honors in which Moira
Kelly plays the cox for the Harvard Mens Team. I dont know if there is
actually any rowing though.
Hope this helps.
____________ ____________ ____ ____
/ / / / / / / /
/ ____ / / ____ / / / / /
/ / / / / / / / / / / /
/ /___/ / / / / / / /___/ /
/ / / / / / / /
/ __ __/ / / / / /_______ /
/ / \ \ / / / / / /
/ / \ \ / /___/ / / /
/ / \ \ / / / /
/___/ \___\ /___________/ / /
____________________________________________/ /
/ Life is like a box of chocolates, /
/ You never know what you're gonna get. /
/_______________________________________________/

Stuart Fogg

未读,
1995年3月13日 17:37:281995/3/13
收件人

I found the Buster Keaton film on laser disk under the title "College".
The rowing only lasted a few minutes but was worth the price.

--
Stuart Fogg
Diablo Valley College

Oldprint

未读,
1995年3月13日 19:54:351995/3/13
收件人
There is a video available of a Channel 4/ITV ? special on Henley.

The cockney wag/jazz bozo Benny Green stumbles through one hour of taking
the piss out of the Hoorays.It is worth grimacing though to see some great
early archive pieces, though it is a trial.

It will certainly put you off that tin pan alley jazz candy floss that
they play incessantly up and down the river.

Oldprint

Alisa Grubbs

未读,
1995年3月13日 21:00:471995/3/13
收件人
michael roy (mi...@lynx.dac.neu.edu) wrote:
: John Stenzel (fzst...@rocky.ucdavis.edu) wrote:

: : --

: : John Stenzel
: : English Department, UCDavis
: : jast...@ucdavis.edu

: --
: If you check out the beginning of the exorcist, there is a shot of the
: highschool varsity at Washington and Lee rowing on the Potomac. One of
: my friends was in that boat. Also, there is a beer commercial (Lite
: maybe) shot on Lake quinsigamond in Worcester MA with an eight in it,
: and then the guys on the dock. One more is With Honors in which Moira
: Kelly plays the cox for the Harvard Mens Team. I dont know if there is
: actually any rowing though.
: Hope this helps.

PLEASE leave out With Honors. As a cox watching that movie it
was worth a laugh but that is about it. I live and cox in Boston and so
i run the same bridges that they were running and my crew NEVER follows
me. i am 1/2 there size and if they are trying to gain some sort of
exercize from it why would they stay at my pace?? It is very
unrealistic. it would be nice if one movie would show a crew team
rowing the way that it is really done and not the Hollywood way. One
more example to this Hollywood style crew is in the firm. Yes they show
real rowing but they have the harvard cox yelling "stroke, stroke" Give
me.

alisa

agr...@lynx.dac.neu.edu

Lungstrum Richard

未读,
1995年3月14日 23:15:551995/3/14
收件人
There's that sequence in "Hard Day's Night" in the latter half
of the film when Ringo is going walkabout alackaday during
rehearsal time, when he is taking photos while a couple guys
go paddling around in singles, and he brings about disaster
for one of them [hyuck hyuck].
Now there would be a trivia question for the senior veterans---
who were the scullers; they must have been local [London]
scullers, likely lads hired as extras in '64.

RWL
RMRC Boulder

mo...@ludens.elte.hu

未读,
1995年3月21日 10:17:011995/3/21
收件人
Hallo rowers!
I'm from Hungary, this is my first post.
If anyone come to Hungary, I can help in anything.
My English is not very well, so I won't write too much.
Have you seen the film "Strawberry & Blood" ?
I hope its name is the same as the Hungarian one.
Bye

Eszter Molnarka-Hicsak
MO...@ludens.elte.hu
Budapest ELTE (Eotvos Lorand University)
Danubius Rowing Club

Rupert Bader

未读,
1995年3月24日 17:34:131995/3/24
收件人
In rec.sport.rowing mo...@ludens.elte.hu said:
>Hallo rowers!
>I'm from Hungary, this is my first post.

Welcome to RSR, Eszter, we need more Europeans in the newsgroup.

>Have you seen the film "Strawberry & Blood" ?
>I hope its name is the same as the Hungarian one.

Is that the one with Rob Lowe? ;-)

Just kidding. Can you give more information about the film, directors and
plot etc. Thanks

Rupert

--
--- " Among what rushes will they build,
--- By what lake's edge or pool

Jay Feenan

未读,
1995年3月27日 11:18:181995/3/27
收件人

Since I saw it this weekend. The movie 'A Few Good Men' has a small clip of
scullers on the Potomac in DC. Don't blink or you'll miss it.

-Jay Feenan

0 个新帖子