Re: Biden stimulus showers money on Americans, sharply cutting poverty in defining move of presidency

Ted

Mar 7, 2021, 3:21:47 PM3/7/21

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/03/06/biden-stimulus-pover

> > ty-checks

> Latest poll showed 62% favored the bill, 34% opposed.

> That should serve the democrats well next election
> as they can cast repubs as against it and it's
> very popular provisions.

https://www.courthousenews.com/poll-shows-broad-support-for-covid-stimu
lus-bill/

> --
> https://twitter.com/Non_Linear1

You're aware of how Kamala Harris helped
kill the $15 min wage increase, aren't you?

Bud Frawley

Mar 7, 2021, 3:26:11 PM3/7/21
That bitch.

Ted

Mar 7, 2021, 3:33:16 PM3/7/21
LOL! Actually, I was personally opposed to it
myself, so I don't mind.

Skeeter

Mar 7, 2021, 4:46:16 PM3/7/21
It will destroy small business.

Ted

Mar 7, 2021, 5:44:37 PM3/7/21
On Sun, 07 Mar 2021 14:46:06 -0700, Skeeter <Sc...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:
Yes. And while they're struggling to recover from the pandemic.

Jonathan

Mar 7, 2021, 6:07:58 PM3/7/21
If Harris had overruled the Parliamentarian
Manchin and Sinema would have walked.

The dems didn't have the votes to push the
$15 minimum hike through. And since the
minimum wage hasn't been hiked since
2009 that's almost unbelievable.

--
https://twitter.com/Non_Linear1

Ted

Mar 7, 2021, 6:13:07 PM3/7/21
Only 41 votes would have been required had
she overruled the Parliamentarian.

Jonathan

Mar 7, 2021, 6:31:59 PM3/7/21

Ted

Mar 7, 2021, 7:24:48 PM3/7/21
> https://twitter.com/Non_Linear1

I was gonna say "I dunno, I'm just parroting
what someone else said" but figured you
deserve a DuckDuckGo search. So I just read
that, according to the Byrd Rule, only 41
votes would be needed to uphold the VP's
decision regardless of opposition from
Manchin, Sinema, and others.

Jonathan

Mar 9, 2021, 7:31:05 PM3/9/21
OK I looked it up, Harris can overrule the
Parliamentarian and it would take 60 votes
to overrule Harris, which is where the 41
votes come in.

BUT you would still need the 50 dems to vote
for the final package. And that tactic would
probably rile Manchin, who seems to be drunk
with 50/50 power thinking he's the president
and can decide for the whole nation.

"Harris can simply ignore the parliamentarian and decide
no provisions are extraneous. After all, basically every
policy will have at least some impact on the federal budget.
Senators can appeal her decisions, but it takes 60 votes
to overrule her. As long as Harris and 41 Democrats want
a provision included and 50 Democrats are prepared to vote
for the final package, they can pass anything with
reconciliation."
https://theweek.com/articles/963853/5-wacky-things-senate-democrats-instead-ending-filibuster

--
https://twitter.com/Non_Linear1

Ted

Mar 11, 2021, 11:21:28 AM3/11/21
> --
> https://twitter.com/Non_Linear1

Thanks for taking the time, Jonathan. Makes
sense. And it explains why the left were
wanting "the Squad" to sink it unless it
contained the $15 min wage.