Wrestling: Is it real ?

Vaso Bovan

Jan 3, 1990, 7:22:55 PM1/3/90
In article <30...@plains.UUCP> sk...@plains.UUCP (Keith Skar) writes:

>By the way, I am extremely happy to see rec.sport.pro-wrestling, lets get
>some use outta it eh....

I guess they haven't heard at North Dakota State that this newsgroup was
meant as a joke to humiliate "pro-wrestling" fans.

Those net-gods ! They've really pulled off a knee-slapper this time !

Steve Dyer

Jan 3, 1990, 7:30:23 PM1/3/90
In article <34...@mips.mips.COM> va...@mips.COM (Vaso Bovan) writes:
>I guess they haven't heard at North Dakota State that this newsgroup was
>meant as a joke to humiliate "pro-wrestling" fans.

I don't care!

"Hacksaw" Jim Duggan is God, and Big John Studd his only prophet.

--
Steve Dyer
dy...@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

Christopher Paull

Jan 3, 1990, 9:15:38 PM1/3/90

What are you?? Nuts -- The Ultimate Warrior is the best!!!

I just want to see Rick Rude get his but kicked!!!

--Chris

Kevin Y. Mayeshiro

Jan 3, 1990, 11:32:31 PM1/3/90
In article <34...@mips.mips.COM> va...@mips.COM (Vaso Bovan) writes:

>I guess they haven't heard at North Dakota State that this newsgroup was
>meant as a joke to humiliate "pro-wrestling" fans.
>
>Those net-gods ! They've really pulled off a knee-slapper this time !

Well, we better make use of this newsgroup before a Usenet control
file puts the DDT on us. ;-)

BTW: Does anyone know why a *few* cable companies decided not to
carry WWF events on "Pay-Per-View" this year???

- Kevin

--
Kevin Y. Mayeshiro BITnet: kevin@uhccux
University of Hawaii at Manoa Internet: ke...@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu

Nicholas J. Simicich

Jan 4, 1990, 5:12:34 PM1/4/90

In article <34...@mips.mips.COM> va...@mips.COM (Vaso Bovan) writes:

>I guess they haven't heard at North Dakota State that this newsgroup was
>meant as a joke to humiliate "pro-wrestling" fans.
>
>Those net-gods ! They've really pulled off a knee-slapper this time !

Wrong. Legitimate group, legitimate vote, serious interest in using
the group to discuss professional wrestling. Yes, the fans here, in
general, recognize that professional wrestling is not an athletic
competition between two individuals or teams. The wrestlers are
athletes (Zeus and Andre excepted) in that they perform moves which
require athletic ability, and do so well. It is certainly as much of
a sport as synchronized swimming, for example, and is a tough thing to
do well. Whereas you know that the piledriver doesn't really "jam the
neck" because the head is tucked in during impact (unless someone
goofs) you can still admire the execution of the move.

But maybe they hadn't heard that at MIPS. In any case, I don't
consider myself a net.god.

In article <59...@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> ke...@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu
(Kevin Y. Mayeshiro) writes:

>Well, we better make use of this newsgroup before a Usenet control
>file puts the DDT on us. ;-)

I believe that this group was created after following all current
usenet guidelines for group creation. The group passed the 100 vote
minimum requirement, and the 2 to 1 yes vs. no vote requirement.
(Frankly, it is not clear we could do this again, now that we've lost
the "support" of the soccer fans, many of whom votes yes to get us out
of rec.sport,misc before rec.soccer was created.) Furthermore, I even
ran a separate poll to determine what the proper name for the group
would be. I would not expect, therefore, that the group would be
removed from the usenet in general, (although sysadmins and their
managers have the right to determine which groups they will and won't
carry).

The only weird thing was that I called my wife on the phone from New
Mexico (I was driving a truck cross country - don't ask) and got her
to read news.groups (She thought that it was the stupidest group she
had ever read. Who cares about how to spell aquaria?) and
news.announce.newgroups looking for vote objections. I did recieve
one piece of email commenting that I had counted a no vote twice, but
no serious objection had been made. I called her back from Arizona
and had her issue the newgroup.

Now I have to send a piece of mail to Gene Spafford asking him to add
rec.sport.pro-wrestling to the canonical list of newsgroups.

Incidentally, I have no objection to mud wrestling discussion. :-)

I understand that some folks might have problems getting the articles
posted to rec.sport.pro-wrestling because their sites will not carry
them. If I can find an email path from me to you, I will email the
articles.

--
Nick Simicich --- uunet!bywater!scifi!njs --- n...@ibm.com (Internet)

Dave Buchtal

Jan 4, 1990, 9:56:18 AM1/4/90
In article <59...@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> ke...@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Kevin Y. Mayeshiro) writes:
>BTW: Does anyone know why a *few* cable companies decided not to
> carry WWF events on "Pay-Per-View" this year???
>
>- Kevin

The WWF, in its infinite wisdom and search for more money, has decided
to scrap the "standard" method of doing PPV. This means that instead
of paying the intermediate companies which broker between the events
and actual cable companies, the WWF wants a bigger piece of the pie
and is brokering their own events. They started doing this on the most
recent PPV in hopes that they could broker Wrestlemania, for a large
profit. Nothing really wrong with what they are doing, but several
of the cable companies refused to carry their PPV's so they would not
offend the broker houses. Titan Sports, which owns the WWF, is a large
enough company that it will eventually get away with its own brokering.
Until then, it may take losses as some cable systems will be closed
to them.

Dave Buchthal

Michael Wheeler

Jan 4, 1990, 8:43:04 AM1/4/90
In article <34...@mips.mips.COM> cpa...@mips.COM (Christopher Paull) writes:
>In article <10...@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> dy...@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>>"Hacksaw" Jim Duggan is God, and Big John Studd his only prophet.
>>-Steve Dyer
>-Chris
When was Studd Duggan's prophet, and was this in the WWF?
-Mike

Debby Hungerford

Jan 4, 1990, 12:01:46 PM1/4/90
In article <34...@mips.mips.COM> va...@mips.COM (Vaso Bovan) writes:

Humiliate pro-wrestling fans? HUMILIATE???? Impossible!

And I'll show them some knee-slapping!
--
name : Debby Hungerford place: MIPS Computers Systems
phone: 408-991-0294 uucp : {ames,decwrl,pyramid,prls}!mips!deb

Debby Hungerford

Jan 4, 1990, 12:02:28 PM1/4/90
In article <34...@mips.mips.COM> cpa...@mips.COM (Christopher Paull) writes:

Come on, Chris. You're just jealous of Rick Rude.

Steve Dyer

Jan 5, 1990, 11:31:18 AM1/5/90
> Wrong. Legitimate group, legitimate vote, serious interest in using
> the group to discuss professional wrestling.

This sounds like George Bush discussing the "wrestling thing".
:-)

Christopher Ruegger

Jan 5, 1990, 2:34:57 PM1/5/90

Who CARES if wrestling is real? . We all know (hopefully) that it's fixed,
but we read this newsgroup anyway because we enjoy pro-wrestling for its
entertainment value!

A more intersting question is how well does the pecking order reflect the
"true" abilities of wrestlers? For example, is Hogan really the
"best" in the WWF (i doubt it) or would someone like Mr. Perfect wipe him
out in a purely scientific match? (which I think would probably be the case).
I've seen "ratings" given to wrestlers in magazines that often DO NOT
reflect who's champ and who's not.

Ruge

Christopher Ruegger rue...@cs.unc.edu
"Is this a trick question??" --Bill Murray