Steve DiSalvo: How It All Started

Gary Will

Oct 8, 1991, 10:20:42 AM10/8/91
In article <1991Oct8...@st1.vuw.ac.nz> doo...@st1.vuw.ac.nz (A little Doob'll do ya) writes:
>What's really ironic is that this whole spate was kicked off by me
>and a couple of other people posting what turned out to be a stupid question
>about the UW.

This is the second time in recent weeks that someone has claimed
that this all started over questions about the Ultimate Warrior.
Rob Hoffmann even made this mistake when outlining the history of the
DiSalvo gag on GEnie (yes, this stupid joke has been described on
at least 3 other computer wrestling areas).

So, for the purposes of historical accuracy, and for the information
of all the people who have joined this group since the summer, here
is how it really all started.

--Gary Will

THE ORIGINS OF THE STEVE DiSALVO GAG ON R.S.P-W

Date: 29 May 91 09:41:04 GMT
* Scott Hall is the Diamond Stud, which did surprise me somewhat since
* aside from the build, Stud looks nowhere like Hall used to look. Stud
* looks like Steve DiSalvo, only about a foot taller.
--Sean Ryan

Date: 3 Jun 91 21:49:54 GMT
* Sean Ryan writes that the Diamond Stud is Scott (little talent) Hall.
* But he says that Hall looks like Steve DeSalvo. Well, I've seen
* "Big Scott Hall" many times on AWA & WCW & he ain't the Dimond Stud.
* I don't not DeSalvo from detergent, so maybe that's the guy.
* Big & powerful to replace Sid. Comes on a lot more "Vicious". Might
* have hurt the guy this past weekend with his "Power Bomb/Slam".
* So, who is he?
--Dave Scheid

Date: 8 Jun 91 10:50:27 GMT
* It's Hall all right. Basically, the body and physical stature is the
* same, although his looks have changed rather dramatically. But then
* again, it has been 2 or 3 years since I've last seen Hall, so a lot can
* change in that time. As far as DiSalvo goes, I pointed out that Hall in
* his current persona bares quite a facial resemblance to DiSalvo. I also
* pointed out that DiSalvo is about a foot shorter than Diamond Stud, so
* there is no way that Stud could be DiSalvo.
--Sean Ryan

Date: 10 Jun 91 15:46:52 GMT
* Well, I watched the program again and the Diamond Stud is about 6 feet
* tall, 280 lbs. Scott Hall is about 6'5" and 280 lbs. So, by the prelim
* descriptions, it seems that the Stud is indeed DiSalvo. He definitely
* *is NOT* Scott Hall. (This guy has a hairy body & I don't believe Scott
* ever did.)
--Dave Scheid

Date: 10 Jun 91 19:20:15 GMT
* According to The National, it is Hall.
--Peter Cook

Date: 10 Jun 91 21:27:07 GMT
* Well, all's I can say is watch on Wednesday & tell me what you saw!
* I am not interested in what the National writes when my eyes tell
* me something different. Perhaps, they tried to get Hall but wound up
* with DiSalvo. This guy is *NOT* Scott Hall!
* Check it out.
--Dave Scheid

Date: 10 Jun 91 22:21:29 GMT
* Just because Scott never had a hairy body when he was wrestling before
* doesn't mean that he doesn't have body hair...ever hear of a razor???
--Charles Anderson

Date: 11 Jun 91 14:55:18 GMT
* I was not going to get into this, but some people can't accept fact. The
* Diamond Stud is SCOTT HALL!!!
* You said the Diamond Stud was 6'0". Look at him in the ring and you will
* see he towers over those 6' jobbers he has been wrestling.
* The face is different. Sure it is! Every time we saw 'Scott Hall' he had
* a moustache and brown hair, not stubble and slicked back black hair. It's
* bound to make a difference.
* Finally, you said you don't remember him having that much hair on his
* chest Dig out those old AWA photos when he was tag team champions with
* Kurt Hennig. We're talking a jungle of pectoral follicles!! Even the pect
* muscle formation is exactly the same.
* Hate to burst your bubble, but then I really don't expect you to change
* your mind based on what I've written. For you, the Diamond Stud can be
* DiSalvo, but the rest of us know better.
--Darrel Bourne

Date: 12 Jun 91 07:56:25 GMT
* The Diamond Stud may be named Scott Hall, but it NOT the same Scott
* Hall from the old AWA days. The face is completely different. In
* order for it to be the same man, he would have needed more plastic
* surgery than Beefcake had after his accident. I really think we are
* talking about two (2) different men that happen to have the same name.
--Vicki Rothe

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1991 15:29:09 GMT
* I went to see the show with Gary Will and whenever they showed a
* masked wrestler ("Bad Street," a clip of "Black Blood") we yelled
* "It's Scott Hall! No, it's Steve DiSalvo!" Thanks to the folks
* who maintained that Diamond Studd was not Scott Hall but Steve
* DiSalvo for this piece of entertainment. Are there still any
* doubters?
--Herb Kunze

Date: 13 Jun 91 16:12:34 GMT
* Diamond Stud - I'm glad someone agrees that he needs a lot of surgery
* to be Hall. Either that or 'roids have changed the Hall of AWA "fame".
--Dave Scheid

Date: 13 Jun 91 17:14:03 GMT
I saw Diamond Stud for the first time last night at the Clash (on TV), and
I agree; he is not the same Scott Hall who had been in the AWA.
--Mike Steiner

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1991 22:38:34 GMT
* This must be an inside joke, right? Next thing I know you'll be saying
* that we've got a new Ultimate Warrior.
--Herb Kunze

Date: 13 Jun 91 23:08:53 GMT
* It's already been said ad nauseum, but clearly the Diamond Stud
* WAS Scott Hall. The transformation seemed to have less to do with
* major plastic surgery and steroids and more to do with a razor and
* hair gel.
--Gary Will

Date: 18 Jun 91 07:35:16 GMT
* Okay, I hope this whole thing has been answered to everyone's
* satisfaction. But to state one last time: Steve DiSalvo is about 5'10"
* tall, so it would be impossible for him to be the Diamond Stud(d).
* Particularly when Stud(d) is quite a bit taller than 6'. I mean,
* Diamond Dallas Page is about 6'2" or so, and Stud(d) towers over him.
* After seeing him on the Clash, there is no doubt in my mind that he is
* Scott Hall. You stated that you have no idea who DiSalvo is. If you do
* not know who I am talking about, then how are you qualified to make an
* assumption of something that people who are knowledgeable about it have
* already pooh-poohed countless times already?
--Sean Ryan

Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1991 20:22:22 GMT
* Are you guys 100% sure Percy Pringle is Paul Bearer?
* I could have sworn it's Steve DiSalvo.
--Mike McNulty