[Indy] New Jack City Wrestling 5/26/96 - Live w/ LLL

Ray Duffy

May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96

New Jack City Wrestling
Asbury Park, NJ - 5/27

Greetings all. Rev. Ray with another house show report, this time from
the wild world of New Jersey independents.

I got a call from Tom Long on Saturday asking me if I was interested in
joining him down the shore to go to an indie show on Sunday. After checking
my busy schedule and deciding that Beulah and Kimona could enterain
themselves, I said, what the hell, I got no life and nothing better to do.

The show is in Asbury Park, which in recent years has gone way down hill
since it doesn't exactly attract the beach crowd it used to. Tom and I
cruise around for a bit, stuck behind old people and trying to avoid
running down rollerbladers, we eventually find the building despite the
road which it was on ending and starting again somewhere else. We get
there before the show is supposed to start at 4pm. Tickets are $12, the
crowd is pretty small. We take 3rd row seats as there are no guardrails
and we don't want to trampled on just in case. The show apparently has
surpassed ECW for starting late as the show finally kicks off at 4:40pm.
I see 1 or 2 usual ECW Arena mutants, one of which is Mark Kate, who I
usually refer to as "The Big Shane Mark" in my house show report.
Attendance looks to be around or under 100 people.

I will try to fill in stuff on the New Jersey indie guys if you are not
familar with them.

Match #1 : NC-17 v. The Misfits (w/ Inflatable doll manager Mary Kate)
for the NJCW Tag Titles.
NC-17 : two black guys doing a PE/PG13 gimmick. They are wearing
rangers jerseys and carrying a hub cap. One is kind of heavy, the other
looks to weigh a buck o' five. They're the faces. No names given.

The Misfits are doing a heavy metal, burn out gimmick. They come out
to "Last Caress" by Metallica (a cover of a mistifs song). One Misfit looks
like he could be one of the Harris Brothers, the other looks like the
hippy from the show _The Young Ones_. The manager, gee... any
connection with her name sake, you be the judge :-) They wear sneakers,
ripped up metal shirts. They are the tag champs. They have names, but I
missed them. One was Cybertron something

Harris Misfit slides into the ring and yells at NC-17 "Hey Dude! You
ripped my shirt!" (it was ripped before hand). Misfits work a lot of
comedy, however, they control most of the match too. Neil Misfit spends
a lot of time picking his nose, he often goes out into the crowd and
takes a seat. When he's in the ring, he has a weird habit of doing a
quick drop to his knee and yelling "Nyhaw!" like a donkey. He does this 3
times in succession every now and then. Misfits spend a lot of time
beating on Buck o'Five. They prove they've already got most of the WWF
teams beat on team work. They do a leg trip/leg drop, a double Razor's
Edge, a Russain Leg Sweep/Drop Kick Combo. They also do the ol' partner
wrings the opponents arm while looking away from the ring, then accidentally
do it to their partner. Buck O'Five tags to his partner, we get a brief
house of fire (like 4 moves) and then a chin lock... this leads me to
believe that Buck O'Five is the guy who usually spends time in the ring. We
get a brief peir sixer, in the ring, Buck O'Five gets a roll up in on Neil,
Harris gets in the ring, grabs Buck and gives him a power bomb. Misfits
win, Harris celebrates with Mary Kate (the doll) on the floor...
A good opener. Misfits appear to be a pretty good team.

During the time between the matches, Rick Ratchet gets in the ring to
taunt NJCW Pres and annoucer AJ Sparxx. Rick apparently lost a loser
leaves the fed stip on a recent card, but has bought a ticket and a table
(and apparently Mary Kate, the real live girl (at least I didn't see a
place to inflate her) as his company at his table. Racket is doing a
flair impersonation... I don't find Flair doing this schtick all that
ammusing all the time, so I'm not exactly impressed with it. He brags
that he has a bottle of champaign... but given the budget of the show and
the fact Racket doesn't look old enough to buy booze, it was probably a
bottle of Canada Dry. I find it odd that the world's biggest Douglas mark
would be a flair wannabe's valet.

Match #2 : Ubas (as UBAS!) (face) v. Rockin' Rico (face) :
Ubas is El Puerto Ricano (who hails from Equador...) in ECW. He's a Sabu
wanna be... even does the point to the sky from time to time.
Rockin' Rico hails from Puerto Rico, doesn't really seem to have a gimmick.

Both guys work a clean match, they do a bunch of high spots and dives to
the floor Ubas does a few rope spring moves, he does for a rope spring
frankensteiner, which gets converted into a powerbomb by Rico. Things go
back and forth, Ratchet is occassionaly yelling insults at both guys from
his table. At one point, we have a ref bump and Rico is on the floor,
out of the back, someone in a black body suit with a big black wig runs
in and attacks Ubas, DDTing him on a set up chair, Rico rolls back in and
small packages Ubas for the pin. I thought the run in was initially by
Angel Amarosa (I saw the black hair and outfit... I didn't think she
could kick ass so well) then thought it might be Racket (who
dissappeared) doing a ninja gimmick... but it was actually Nomad who was
on the card later. Post match Ubas accuses Rico of setting him up, but
Super Nova runs out and settles things down... so it looks like
everyone's still pals.

Match #3 : Derek Domino (w/ Rick Ratchet) v. Rocco Dorsey :
Derek Domino : I guess is supposed to be doing a bad ass gimmick. He
sort of looks like the guy from Highlander, except bigger, without a shave,
greasy hair and wearing Hack Meyers-esque pants. He is the heel.
Rocco Dorsey : A big fat guy doing a hockey gimmick (wears a Thunder Bay
jersey hockey jersey, carrys a stick, gloves and helmet to ringside.
He's the face and the person who ran Ratchet out temporarily from NJCW.

Domino laughs at Dorsey. This is mostly a brawl, nothing really
spectaular. Domino holds Dorsey so Ratchet can chair him, but Dorsey moves
and Domino gets nailed and blades). Dorsey gets teh chair and nails Rick
who does the flair flop. They brawl around a bit, the ref takes a bump,
Rick gets Mary Kate's shoe and nails Dorsey (Flair wanna be? can you tell?)
Domino gets the pin. Post match he works over Dorsey's leg with a chair.
He yells something incoherient over the mic, something to the effect of it's
not over.

Match #4 : Stevie Richards (w/ Blue Meanie) v. Ace Darling :
Stevie and Meanie you know from ECW.
Ace Darling sort of looks like an unjuiced Scott Steiner. He's the face
tonight. Stevie and Meanie annouce themsleves as the American Males.
Stevie is sporting black pants, Meanie has his hair down sort in Riggs
fashion. Pre-match, both Meanie and Stevie do a strip tease. Darling tries
to work the crowd, but it's pretty dead, so Richards gets the fans started
(as he puts it, because he's such a baby face). Stevie has a couple of
fans in the audience tonight, including two women who have signs. A
pretty good match, Meanie is pretty funny on the floor, even gets a bunch of
fans going by having either them yell "American Males!" and him pointing and
yelling "Whoo!" or them reversing rolls. A pretty good match, the Fabulous
Males attempt a few double teams which they blow. Meanie accidentally
Tigerdrivers Stevie at one point and they also do the Meanie tries to do the
moonsault, but Ace switches places and Stevie gets saulted. End comes with
Richards getting frankensteinered off the top rope and pinned by Darling.
Good match.

Match #5 : Super Nova v. Nomad (w/ Bobby G and manager)
Super Nova : Doing a superhero/power ranger gimmick. Wears a blue outfit
similar to Lyger's or a Power Ranger I refer to him as Jushin's cousin
Bud. He has worked a match or two in ECW and his working here as a face.
Nomad : He did a run in earlier... without the wig... he seemed to
remind me of Jimmy Del Rey a little... just from some of his goofy
expressions from time to time. I think he's doing a wild guy gimmick.
He's got a manager who carries something that is either a power strip or
a flute case. Bobby G is a scrawny guy who claims to be 6 ft. 9 in.,
390 pounds. I dub him 119. They're the heels.

A good match, lots for flying. At one point Nova does a slo-mo Super
Flying Tiger Drop (like Sayama, not like Sasuke). Nomad did a move where
he jumped to the top rope to do something, but looks like he slipped and
fell off the the floor unplanned. He eventually gets back in. Nomad went
for pin at one point but referee Lightning Lou Diamond took about a
minute to go for the pin. Later on Nomad had Nova pinned but put a
regular seat over and sat down but the ref said "you've got to pin him
for me to count". I point out to the ref "You didn't count last
time." At one point, the ref gets distracted, Bobby G gets in the ring
and chokeslams Nova. We get a 2 count. Things go on back and forth, in
the end, Nomad goes for a victory roll, but Nova starts spinning around,
swings Nomad so he's in position and powerbombs him. Bobby G and the
manager hit the ring and get Nomad DQed. As the heels work over Nova,
Rico hits the ring and makes the save... then nails Super Nova with a
chair... and the beat down continues until Ubas makes the save.
I was kind of hoping for another turn, but it didn't happen... oh well :-)

Intermission : most of the guys on the card come out to sign autographs
and stuff. During the intermission, Tom tells me that he's sure that he
went to school with Dorsey. Nova seems to be favoring his knee.

During the whole show, we've had problems finding referees inbetween
matches, hence most of the time, the same ref does 2 matches in a row. We
finally find Lightning Lou who is moving more like Yokozuna than Lightning
when coming back to the ring. Spotted in ring gear but not wrestling
tonight, Inferno Kid.

Match #6 : Magic (w/ Manager) v. "The Fire Breathing" Mr. Lucifa
Magic : A fat black guy in a mask. He's the heel.
Mr. Lucifa : A big black guy with two horns made out of his hair with
rubber bands. He wears a crown, looks a little like JYD. He is the face.
Pre-match Magic attacks Lucifa with a signapore cane, Lucifa gets the
cane and gives him a few shots. They decide to turn the match into a
caning back and both guys get canes and work each other over. Perhaps
the funniest part of the match is an old black guy who's using a cane
who's yelling out comments during the match. He's pretty funny as he's
cheering the faces. Eventually they put down the canes and wrestle a
bit. After a short bit, both guys go for something... Magic
spits fire but falls sort of Lucifa, then dances around claiming he won
because he spit fire first... but that wasn't the stip... when Magic
sees Lucifa standing in front of him, he sayeth the following... "OH
SHIT!" Lucifa spits fire (didn't see if it hit as Magic was standing
directly in front of us) and gets the win.

Match #7 : Virgil (NJCW World Champ) v. Ghetto Blaster (NJCW US Champ)
Virgil : you know him, former WWF guy, now indie guy.
Ghetto Blaster : He looks like he's going for the Halem Heat look. Big
black guy.

Prematch Ghetto Blaster tells them to bring out that has been Virgil.
Virgil comes out and works the crowd. He's talking a mile a minute, at
one point he takes a seat and says "man, I'm tired" I don't see this as
a good sign. While they're jawing away, Virgil says something and a
woman in the crowd says something back we take a time out to find that
the woman is Ghetto Blaster's mom. Virgil then is says "Damn, now I'm
fighting his whole family!" A kid and the old black guy tell Virgil "We
got your back". This one is pretty much brawling. It goes all over
the place, out to the floor, out to the street, back in the building,
down the aisle. End result, double countout. Virgil spent most of the
match telling Blaster to call for you his mommy. A so-so match, the
jabbering was the highlight. I told Tom it's really hard to be bad ass
if your mom's sitting in the crowd... and people know it.

Match #8 : Cujo "the Hellhound" v. Hellraiser
Cujo : Sort of a moondog with face paint. He's the heel.
Hellraiser : A big built guy with face paint. Sort of has the Road
Warrior Hawk look to him. He's working as the face.

Not a great match, but it was reasonably quick. Nothing really of note,
Hellraiser wins in about 5 minutes with a chokeslam.

Post match, a wrestler who's been sitting in the crowd gets in the
ring... I think he's supposed to be from Florida or something...
Hellraiser ends up beating him up a bit. Angle to be continued.

Match #9 : Main Event : Raven (w/ Stevie Alexander Bagwell and Meanie
Riggs)
v. Mikey Whipwreck : Stevie and Meanie come out and say hi to Rachet...
and then star making fun of Mary Kate. Saying she had a Blue Light Special
dress... that he would say her breats were fake but he couldn't see any.
That she spent 20 minutes in the bath room with Whipwreck. He calls her
a slut. Ratchet gets in the ring and asks Stevie what's going on, he
thought they were friends. They call Mary Kate into the ring because
Steve says he can't see her too well without his glasses. When she
comes into the ring, he says "Oh, I'm sorry, she's not a slut...
she's a dirty whore." Ratchet says "Hey come on... alright... she's a
dirty whore..." Meanie asks if she's a dirty enough whore to kiss the
Meanie... and yes she is... Damn he's smooth! Meanie's getting all the
chicks I'm tellin' ya! Anyway, match opens with Mikey attacking Ratchet
and the Fabulous Males, Raven hits Mikey with a DDT from behind right off
the bat. But doesn't get the pin. A so-so match for those involved,
they brawl into the crowd, Raven throws Mikey into a couple of rows of
chairs, Mikey does the a frankensteiner and a couple of other moves.
Your usual Raven match with run ins by Meanie and Richards though out. In
the end, Mikey gets pinned after a DDT. Post match, the Fabs and Ratchet do
the Fargo Strut. Mikey recovers, throws all the guys out to the floor
and does a plancha on them all. He throws Ratchet back in the ring and
beats on him, the ref asks Mikey "What are you doing?" I inform him
"He's kicking his ass". Mikey slaps the figure four on Ratchet. He
eventually leaves. Ratchet swears revenge through assorted mic problems.

The show ends around 8...8:30pm. We end up returning to Tom's house to
catch the fiasco that was IYH.

Afterthoughts : A good card. New Jack City seems to want to bring in
ECW guys, they're advertising future cards which will have Raven and
Dreamer on them as well as appearances with Kimona, Beulah and Paul E.
and other ECW talent. The show they put on was enteraining, well worth
the trip and if I have time or an opening, it would be a promotion I
would go back to see. The next two shows they have coming up are I think
in Momouth at the armory on the 2nd of June and I think a return show in
Asbury on the 30th of June. I probably won't go to either as I will be
going to MEWF on the 2nd and the 30th is the WCW which is easier
for me to get to. If you're going to support your local indy, check
these guys out. It's not ECW, but they're trying hard and I did enjoy
myself at the show.

So thill next time....

This note's for you....

+

+

+

--
Ray Duffy, MiSTy #38729, Rev. of ULC, Internet F**khead, As Seen On TV
"You're not cool enough to be my friends"- Steve Richards on Los Lurkers