Offensive Angles in wrestling

Pat Weiler

Sep 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/1/95

I was just starting to think about some of the angles in wrestling. Some
could be seen as offensive... examples...

1. Hogan vs. Slaughter: Using a war to heat up a feud.

2. Hogan vs. "Andre's" Son: Using the fame of a dead legend to heat up a feud.

Any others. I'm not out to slam wrestling (wow a pun), but its sort of
interesting to see what bookers write up to sell a product.

THE BBB (BRING BACK BOBBY) CAMPAIGN has begun and will not end until the king
of one liners, Bobby Heenan returns to the WWF. Imagine if you will....
( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( (
) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) )
Vince- ITS MONDAY NIGHT RAAAAAAWWWWWW!!!!!
Crowd- BRING BACK BOBBY, BRING BACK BOBBY, BRING BACK BOBBY!
Vince (thinking)- mental note: Sign Heenan on Tuesday.

Bryan Alvarez

Sep 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/2/95
In <pweiler.16...@julian.uwo.ca> pwe...@julian.uwo.ca (Pat Weiler)
writes:

>I was just starting to think about some of the angles in wrestling. Some
>could be seen as offensive... examples...
>

>1. Hogan vs. Slaughter: Using a war to heat up a feud.
>
>2. Hogan vs. "Andre's" Son: Using the fame of a dead legend to heat up a feud.
>
>Any others. I'm not out to slam wrestling (wow a pun), but its sort of
>interesting to see what bookers write up to sell a product.

Not meaning to offer a cheap plug, but the following article was published in
the latest edition of the Figure-Four newsletter under the section entitled,
"Independent Wrestling News":

"The National Wrestling Council out of Las Vegas put on a show this past
weekend and corespondent Dan Adams was in attendance. He basically reported
that NWC presented a very professional high class show with some great wrestling
performances... except for one event.
The Thug and Virgil are feuding. During this show, Thug brought out an
individual in a white robe who claimed to be a member of the Ku Klux Klan. I’m
not making this up. This individual than, with the help of Thug, began to
viciously assault Virgil with a double-team. Dan reports that nearly everyone
in the audience was completely shocked by this tasteless angle.
Thugs partner than proceeded to disrobe and revealed himself to
be...Jim “The Anvil” Neidhart! That’s right, apparently Neidhart has
taken a big chance by offering to do this gimmick.
Anyway, Neidhart and Thug then proceeded to use the KKK robe to
HANG VIRGIL. This was about all the audience could take and several
fights broke out over the racial overtones in this match. Both
wrestlers had to be quickly escorted back to the dressing room, and
Virgil apparently got a legitimate strike to the head with a hammer by
some ringside fan.
So although the NWC presented some stunning wrestling action with
the likes of Robby Van Damme, Bob Bradley, Sabu and Cactus Jack, they
really went too far over the edge with this angle."

- Figure Four Wrestling Newsletter, Issue #12, Sept. 4, 1995.

Personally I feel this is the most offensive angle ANYONE has ever
tried.

* Bryan Alvarez, Editor, Publisher *
* The Figure-Four Wrestling Newsletter *
* 52 issues - $39.95, 26 issues - $24.99 *
* 12 issues - $14.99. *
* First time subs - 12 issues just $9.99! *
* Check or money order payable to YWF to: *
* YWF, Box 426, Woodinville WA 98072. *
* YWF Wrestling Connection: (206) 485-0384 *
* Alvarez Enterprises, Seattle *

A. Bhartia

Sep 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/2/95
Bryan Alvarez (ywfc...@ix.netcom.com) writes:
> In <pweiler.16...@julian.uwo.ca> pwe...@julian.uwo.ca (Pat Weiler)
> writes:
>>

>>I was just starting to think about some of the angles in wrestling. Some
>>could be seen as offensive... examples...

This angle took place in, I believe the AWA years ago. A military
style white guy whose gimmick was that he was from South Africa, and he
was a racist. I *THINK* the name Col. DeBeers comes to mind, that might
have been him. Anyways, one of his matches involved a young
African-American man. The stipulation of the match was that the winner
gets to paint the other their color. ie. if DeBeers won the match, he
would get to paint his opponent white, and vice-verca.

Dagenham Dave

Sep 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/2/95
Pat Weiler (pwe...@julian.uwo.ca) wrote:

: I was just starting to think about some of the angles in wrestling. Some
: could be seen as offensive... examples...

: 1. Hogan vs. Slaughter: Using a war to heat up a feud.

: 2. Hogan vs. "Andre's" Son: Using the fame of a dead legend to heat up a feud.

: Any others. I'm not out to slam wrestling (wow a pun), but its sort of
: interesting to see what bookers write up to sell a product.

Any angle involving Hacksaw Jim Duggan.

: _______________________________________________________________________________

: THE BBB (BRING BACK BOBBY) CAMPAIGN has begun and will not end until the king
: of one liners, Bobby Heenan returns to the WWF. Imagine if you will....
: ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( (
: ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) )
: Vince- ITS MONDAY NIGHT RAAAAAAWWWWWW!!!!!
: Crowd- BRING BACK BOBBY, BRING BACK BOBBY, BRING BACK BOBBY!
: Vince (thinking)- mental note: Sign Heenan on Tuesday.

The best of friends and foes exist within, where archetypal
shadows come to light and doff their monster masks when we say 'boo'.
Where mingling and unmingling opposites perform a wonderous feat of
alchemy, and spins grey matter, into precious gold.

-Goodnight Desdemona (Good Morning Juliet)-

Clint Lehnhoff

Sep 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/2/95
> Anyway, Neidhart and Thug then proceeded to use the KKK robe to
>HANG VIRGIL. This was about all the audience could take and several
>fights broke out over the racial overtones in this match. Both
>wrestlers had to be quickly escorted back to the dressing room, and
>Virgil apparently got a legitimate strike to the head with a hammer by
>some ringside fan.

Gee - a line from "Blazing Saddles" comes to mind, but.... Oh well!

Clint

Jake Harrison

Sep 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/2/95
Col. DeBeers now wrestles for Championship Wrestling USA.One time when he
was in the broadcast booth, He waas talking about his supposed fan mail
address in South Africa and he said "Whites only."
BTW, Col. DeBeers once was a substitute teacher at my school. I swear, he
was. Eat your heart out, Dean Douglas.

--
Hey, join the Hulk Hogan Haters Klub today! E-Mail Ric...@Aol.Com for
more details.

--pacifier.com - Vancouver's Public access Internet (206) 693-0325
telnet or dial the above and type "new" at the prompt to register

Simon Jester

Sep 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/3/95
pwe...@julian.uwo.ca (Pat Weiler) wrote:

>I was just starting to think about some of the angles in wrestling. Some
>could be seen as offensive... examples...
>

>1. Hogan vs. Slaughter: Using a war to heat up a feud.
>
>2. Hogan vs. "Andre's" Son: Using the fame of a dead legend to heat up a feud.
>
>Any others. I'm not out to slam wrestling (wow a pun), but its sort of
>interesting to see what bookers write up to sell a product.

>THE BBB (BRING BACK BOBBY) CAMPAIGN has begun and will not end until the king
>of one liners, Bobby Heenan returns to the WWF. Imagine if you will....
>( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( (
> ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) )
>Vince- ITS MONDAY NIGHT RAAAAAAWWWWWW!!!!!
>Crowd- BRING BACK BOBBY, BRING BACK BOBBY, BRING BACK BOBBY!
>Vince (thinking)- mental note: Sign Heenan on Tuesday.

The only thing that I find offensive about wrestling is the constant insults to my intelligence. How can I
be expected to believe that...

1. Hulk Hogan can beat anyone with his stupid leg drop.
2. Meng is a martial artist and is scary because he now has the Thimble of Death.
3. Anything involving DOD
4. Mabel is a king...not a big queen
5. Barry Horrowitz has only a handful of wins to his credit when Moe has held a strap.
6. Yokozuna doesn't wear a bra in the ring
7. Tatanka doesn't wear a bra in the ring
8. Savio Kwang or Papa Kama or Brutus Butcher Zodiac or Earthquake Avalanche Shark.
It's good to know someone recycles
9. Bob "Butt Plug" Holly
10. Vinnie Mac would be an announcer if he didn't own the company.

'nuff said...

Simon Jester

North Star

Sep 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/3/95
Simon Jester (schm...@sky.net) wrote:

[...]

The most offensive thing I find about the WWF is the constant push
Vince gives to fuel old stereotypes.

Examples:

1. The USA was at war with Japan 50 years ago....that war is still alive
and well in the WWF, living through Yokozuna, Mr. Fuji and Hakushi. Have we
ever seen a Japanese face?

2. Anyone whose skin colour is brown or black obviously comes from the
ghettos....Mabel, Moe, and Fatu have been seemingly plucked out of
America's housing projects and their anger at the white man is now being
vented in the WWF. Have we ever seen anyone of black or hispanic decent
in a Hunter Helmsley angle?

3. Women are nothing more than sex objects....have a look at Alundra
Blayze in the August issue of the WWF magazine and check out Wrestlemania
XI's display of Pam Anderson.
***OR****

Women are nothing but fat slobs who need a man to take care of
them....Bertha Fay and Harvey Wippleman.

I love the action in the ring and occasionally, a superstar, like Bret
Hart has some integrity that I can admire. But other than that, the WWF
is just one big stereotype.

Annie :)
pta...@alpha.vaxxine.com

Trevor Barrie

Sep 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/3/95
In article <42c786$p...@alpha.vaxxine.com>, pta...@alpha.vaxxine.com (North Star) says:

> The most offensive thing I find about the WWF is the constant push
>Vince gives to fuel old stereotypes.
>

> 1. The USA was at war with Japan 50 years ago....that war is still alive
>and well in the WWF, living through Yokozuna, Mr. Fuji and Hakushi. Have we
>ever seen a Japanese face?

Hakushi has gotten a face pop both times that he's gotten into it with
Skip. He's not a face yet, but he clearly seems to be heading that way.

> 2. Anyone whose skin colour is brown or black obviously comes from the
>ghettos....

No, only half of them are from the ghettos. The rest are savages.:(
Witness Kamala & the Headshrinkers.

>Mabel, Moe, and Fatu have been seemingly plucked out of
>America's housing projects and their anger at the white man is now being
>vented in the WWF.

Well, Fatu hasn't exactly "venting his anger" at anybody. He's a
_face_, after all.

>Have we ever seen anyone of black or hispanic decent in a Hunter
>Helmsley angle?

Not that I can think of off-hand, no. Might be interesting.

Trevor Barrie tba...@peinet.pe.ca "It's a great big universe,
87 Kennedy Drive and we're all really puny;
West Royalty, PEI we're just tiny little specks
C1E 1X7 CANADA (902) 628-6845 about the size of Mickey Rooney."

Donald Martin

Sep 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/4/95
Pat Weiler (pwe...@julian.uwo.ca) wrote:

: I was just starting to think about some of the angles in wrestling. Some
: could be seen as offensive... examples...

: 1. Hogan vs. Slaughter: Using a war to heat up a feud.

: 2. Hogan vs. "Andre's" Son: Using the fame of a dead legend to heat up a feud.

: Any others. I'm not out to slam wrestling (wow a pun), but its sort of
: interesting to see what bookers write up to sell a product.

Bad News Brown's "Harlem Sewer Rats". A covered cage with someone behind
it shaking it with rat squeaking sound effets. He showed a "baby" rat,
that he pulled out of a garbage can to the audience to demonstrate how scary
they were and the thing was just an ordinary opossum!

Not only racially offensive, but totally insulting to the audience's
intelligence....

;)

Michael T. Tyler

Sep 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/6/95

Col DeBeers also feuded with Jimmy Snuka and gave him his second
career super bad @ss kicking...

Failure Fantom