WCW Video?

Mike Palij

Dec 5, 1992, 7:17:46 PM12/5/92

I think I have incredible luck in finding the worst in wrestling video.

Today, while in a video shop, my eye was caught by the large WCW
on the spine of a video case. I hadn't seen this before and I was
wondering whether the Turner folks were putting out new videos. Well,
I picked it up and was amazed to see the subtitle: "The Best of Women's
Championship Wrestling"! Yes, WCW = Women's Championship Wrestling.
The video was put out by a company called Video Gems (yeah, right)
and looks like it came out around 1985 or 1986. It advertised matches
with the then AWA Woman's Champion Candi Divine and the NWA champ Debbie
Combs. I got the video and boy is this the cheesist wrestling video I
have ever seen. All the matches were filmed at Bally's Reno hotel (with
a commercial for the place at the end) and there was easily, oh, 20 or
30 people in the audience. The matches, of course, sucked though there
was an interesting match with the Daughters of Darkness, a couple of
sick puppies who look like female Road Warrior wannabes (y'know, sick
make-up and partially shaved heads -- not bad if you're into B&D).
Other wrestlers included Charli Haynes (with her manager, an effeminate
blonde short white guy named Prince), Despina Mantagas (with her black
manager Boogaloo Brown), Princess Jasmine, Lady Satan, and few others.
There was a 10 girl/woman battle royale and mixed couples tag team match
between Haynes/Prince and Mantagas/Boogaloo. The latter was an I Quit
type match and the little guy, Prince, juiced big time after being
thrown out of the ring. All in all, pretty wretched.

But it did raise a couple of questions. Anybody out there familiar
with this stuff? What's the background to this? Also, I presume that
Turner and company must have bought the rights to the initials WCW
when the NWA became World Championship Wrestling. Anybody have any info
on this?

Thanks.

--
Just this person's view of netlife.

======> mike palij :: bh...@cleveland.freenet.edu

Bob Rusbasan

Dec 6, 1992, 12:13:53 PM12/6/92
In article <1frgra...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu> bh...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Mike Palij) writes:

[stuff about WCW (Women's Championship Wrestling) deleted]

>But it did raise a couple of questions. Anybody out there familiar
>with this stuff? What's the background to this? Also, I presume that
>Turner and company must have bought the rights to the initials WCW
>when the NWA became World Championship Wrestling. Anybody have any info
>on this?

No, but I do know that there is yet a third WCW. On the Sports Channel,
they have a show that I believe is called "WCW Wrestling." When I
saw this, I at first thought maybe it was *the* WCW, but then they
let it be known that it was actually "Windy City Wrestling."

/ Bob Rusbasan | Dance to the tension \
/ rusb...@expert.cc.purdue.edu | of a world on edge \
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Mike Palij

Dec 6, 1992, 1:57:23 PM12/6/92

In a previous article, rusb...@expert.cc.purdue.edu (Bob Rusbasan) says:

>In article <1frgra...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu> bh...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Mike Palij) writes:
>
>[stuff about WCW (Women's Championship Wrestling) deleted]
>

>>But it did raise a couple of questions. Anybody out there familiar
>>with this stuff? What's the background to this? Also, I presume that
>>Turner and company must have bought the rights to the initials WCW
>>when the NWA became World Championship Wrestling. Anybody have any info
>>on this?
>

>No, but I do know that there is yet a third WCW. On the Sports Channel,
>they have a show that I believe is called "WCW Wrestling." When I
>saw this, I at first thought maybe it was *the* WCW, but then they
>let it be known that it was actually "Windy City Wrestling."

Ah, does this refer to Chicago or Boston (Beantown ;).