Please say no to the owner of the Utah Jazz getting an NHL franchise!

piperut

Jul 13, 2023, 12:04:56 PM7/13/23
Please say no to the owner of the Utah Jazz getting an NHL franchise!
Salt Lake City and Utah have had a couple minor league hockey teams over the years.
The current owner Ryan Smith wants to acquire an NHL franchise.
The previous owner of the Utah Jazz, Larry H. Miller shafted all the hockey fans in Utah.
He purchased the Salt Lake Golden Eagles (minor league hockey team). He went on the ice during intermission and said “Hockey fans are crass and dangerous. I will never sell the Salt Lake Golden Eagles Franchise.” He then sold “lifetime season tickets” to a number of hockey fans. Then convinced Salt Lake City to build a new building for Basketball, and made the sight lines horrible for hockey games. He then convinced Salt Lake County to tear down the old Salt Palace that had great sight lines for watching hockey. After five years of owning the Salt Lake Golden Eagles he sold the franchise.

The new boring (basketball) facility is called “The Detla Center”.
The Utah Grizzlies now play in the Maverik Center that is a minor league hockey facility. It does not have enough seats for an NHL team. It does seat more for hockey than the Delta Center does.

Nobody connected to the Utah Jazz, or the Larry H. Miller Corporation should be allowed anywhere near hockey. They destroyed one minor league hockey team, they should not be allowed to destroy an NHL team.

Now if the NHL was really crazy enough to let Ryan Smith (current owner of the Utah Jazz) and his group acquire an NHL franchise; there needs to be some stipulations attached:

1. The group needs to honor the “lifetime season tickets” that were sold to Salt Lake Golden Eagles Fans.

2. They need to have a major league hockey facility with good sight lines through the entire arena. Now if I was looking for a location to locate a hockey arena I would look around the area of Utah Highway 68 (Redwood Road) and Interstate 215 at the North Interchange. I would cross the county line into Davis County. There is a lot of open land in that area.

Again, nobody connected to the Utah Jazz, or the Larry H. Miller Corporation should be allowed anywhere near hockey. They destroyed one minor league hockey team, they should not be allowed to destroy an NHL team.

Roland Behunin
Farmington, Utah