Jofa helmet - banned?

Kevin Polston

Sep 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/24/98
Dear all
I have just bought my six year old son a Jofa helmet (the one with two cages
hinges but without extra cage clips). Some parents have told me that these
helmets are banned. Is there any truth in this?

Regards
Kevin

Joe Pelletier

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
to Kevin Polston
Kevin Polston wrote:

I'm not familiar with the exact helmet you bought, but the helmet that Wayne
Gretzky wears (a jofa) is banned by the NHL. A rule was invoked no more than 2
years ago that all players entering into the NHL must wear safety-standards
approved helmets with the idea being eventually every player in the league will
wear a safer helmet without upset veterans who have used a particular helmet for
a long time and have endorsement contracts (namely Gretzky).

You'll notice Michel Goulet (just inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame) retired
from the NHL due to head injuries suffered when he crashed head first into the
boards while wearing a Gretzky-style Jofa helmet.

Joe
Hockey Over Time
http://www.lcshockey.com/history

John Bradley

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
Joe Pelletier <fuzzy...@bc.sympatico.ca> writes:

> Kevin Polston wrote:
>
> > Dear all
> > I have just bought my six year old son a Jofa helmet (the one with two cages
> > hinges but without extra cage clips). Some parents have told me that these
> > helmets are banned. Is there any truth in this?
>
> I'm not familiar with the exact helmet you bought, but the helmet that Wayne
> Gretzky wears (a jofa) is banned by the NHL. A rule was invoked no more than 2
> years ago that all players entering into the NHL must wear safety-standards
> approved helmets with the idea being eventually every player in the league will
> wear a safer helmet without upset veterans who have used a particular helmet for
> a long time and have endorsement contracts (namely Gretzky).

Even Gretzky admits that his "eggshell" helmet isn't very good. It's not
a big problem for him, since he knows how to avoid a hit.

--

John Bradley
jjbr...@erols.com

Joseph M. Funtal

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
Kevin,

Are you USA Hockey or CAHA? Sorry, I can't help you if you are CAHA.

USA Hockey mandates that all helmets be certified by the HECC (Hockey Equipment
Certification Council). They currently have certifications on helmets,
face-masks and skate blades. (For those of you taking the open book rules exam)

On the helmet and mask you should see an HECC sticker attached to the equipment.

1998-99 season is not a rule change year. As far as I know, the only helmet
banned is the Gretzky Jofa and some other broomball type helmets.

For further advice, ask your local officials chapter or the guys that do your
kids games.

Joe

Kevin Polston wrote:

> Dear all
> I have just bought my six year old son a Jofa helmet (the one with two cages
> hinges but without extra cage clips). Some parents have told me that these
> helmets are banned. Is there any truth in this?
>

> Regards
> Kevin

Kent

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98

Kevin Polston wrote:

> Dear all
> I have just bought my six year old son a Jofa helmet (the one with two cages
> hinges but without extra cage clips). Some parents have told me that these
> helmets are banned. Is there any truth in this?
>
> Regards
> Kevin

In Canada the helmet must have a CSA sticker on it. If it does it is considered
safe for minor hockey. No helmets in the last couple of years have been
banned. As in the US this is not a rule change year so if it has the sticker
you are ok. There are some helmets that I would not use at older ages but the
collisions are your sons age are not at great speeds.

--
Kent Tinkess

John L.

Oct 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/3/98

Usually if a helmet is CSA approved, it will also be HECC (USA)
approved. I noticed that the helmets being sold from my local
sporting goods stores all have both CSA and HECC stickers...

Scott Levison

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98
Joe Pelletier (fuzzy...@bc.sympatico.ca) wrote:

: I'm not familiar with the exact helmet you bought, but the helmet that Wayne

: Gretzky wears (a jofa) is banned by the NHL. A rule was invoked no more than 2
: years ago that all players entering into the NHL must wear safety-standards
: approved helmets with the idea being eventually every player in the league will
: wear a safer helmet without upset veterans who have used a particular helmet for
: a long time and have endorsement contracts (namely Gretzky).

: You'll notice Michel Goulet (just inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame) retired

: from the NHL due to head injuries suffered when he crashed head first into the
: boards while wearing a Gretzky-style Jofa helmet.

: Joe
: Hockey Over Time
: http://www.lcshockey.com/history

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the 1972 Soviet squad "introduce" the
JOFA helmets to North America? The helmets I know from then were the old
2-piece CCMs, the Cooper (Pete Stemkowski of the Rangers had a stripe on
the middle of his) the Lange suspension helmets made famous by Stan
Mikita & Paul Henderson, and the special Ernie Higgins helmet for Ted
Green. Certainly, they were better than the JOFAs, which looked like a
small tap would shatter it.

Scott Levison
z800...@bc.seflin.org
"I never set out to be weird. It was always other people that called me
weird."-- Frank Vincent Zappa 12/21/40--12/4/93

henrik...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98
In article <6v9dld$f...@nntp.seflin.org>,

z800...@bc.seflin.org (Scott Levison) wrote:
> Joe Pelletier (fuzzy...@bc.sympatico.ca) wrote:
>
> : I'm not familiar with the exact helmet you bought, but the helmet that
Wayne
> : Gretzky wears (a jofa) is banned by the NHL. A rule was invoked no more
than 2
> : years ago that all players entering into the NHL must wear safety-standards
> : approved helmets with the idea being eventually every player in the league
will
> : wear a safer helmet without upset veterans who have used a particular
helmet for
> : a long time and have endorsement contracts (namely Gretzky).

Well, Gretzky doesn't have any endorsement from Jofa - in fact they dislike
that he wears one of their outdated (I remember getting one exact like his in
the seventies) and highly unsafe helmets. This is causing a image problem for
Jofa - they are now associated with a inferior product they doesn't
manufacture anymore (Gretzky must have a sack of these hidden somewhere...).
This very thread is proof of that.

To clear thing up a bit for the original poster, who asked if his sons' helmet
is safe - if you buy a Jofa helmet in a store today it is safe and approved
(and of very good quality). Helmets is one thing you shouldn't buy used, since
if they get too many bumps the plastic takes damage.

> : You'll notice Michel Goulet (just inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame)
retired
> : from the NHL due to head injuries suffered when he crashed head first into
the
> : boards while wearing a Gretzky-style Jofa helmet.
>
> : Joe
> : Hockey Over Time
> : http://www.lcshockey.com/history
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the 1972 Soviet squad "introduce" the
> JOFA helmets to North America? The helmets I know from then were the old
> 2-piece CCMs, the Cooper (Pete Stemkowski of the Rangers had a stripe on
> the middle of his) the Lange suspension helmets made famous by Stan
> Mikita & Paul Henderson, and the special Ernie Higgins helmet for Ted
> Green. Certainly, they were better than the JOFAs, which looked like a
> small tap would shatter it.

You may be right - the Soviets used (uses?) Jofa, but the brand is Swedish. If
my memory serves me, they were the first to introduce the covered ear-piece in
the eighties while CCM and Cooper still had strings.

/Henrik

Warren G. Anderson

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98
Joseph M. Funtal wrote:

> USA Hockey mandates that all helmets be certified by the HECC (Hockey Equipment
> Certification Council). They currently have certifications on helmets,
> face-masks and skate blades. (For those of you taking the open book rules exam)
>
> On the helmet and mask you should see an HECC sticker attached to the equipment.

I have another question about USA Hockey regulations and helmets. Is
one required to have the HECC sticker on one's helmet at game time in
order to play in it? My HECC sticker has fallen off. My CSA sticker is
still on, and since I was playing in Canada up until now, I never really
considered the loss of the HECC sticker a problem. But now that I've
moved down to the states, I guess I should find out whether my helmet
"legal" (it is approved, just doesn't have the sticker).

Warren

--
| HOME | Warren G. | OFFICE |

Sgvette

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98

>the special Ernie Higgins helmet for Ted
>Green. Certainly, they were better than the JOFAs, which looked like a

Whoooooa!!!! Someone who remembers Ernie Higgins!! He made 2 masks for me in
the 70's.

I miss Ernie.

SG