Historic Stanley Cup TV crews (1950s)

tmc...@gmail.com

Oct 29, 2019, 8:32:49 PM10/29/19
Here are the crew (is the crew?) for 1953 in Canada.

There was no American network coverage.

(JIP) = joined in progress

SEMI FINALS

Red Wings-Bruins
Game 1, 3/24, No telecast
Game 2, 3/26, No telecast
Game 3, 3/29, No telecast
Game 4, 3/31, No telecast
Game 5, 4/2, No telecast
Game 6, 4/5, No telecast

Canadiens-Black Hawks
Game 1, 3/24, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 2, 3/26, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 3, 3/29, No telecast
Game 4, 3/31, No telecast
Game 5, 4/2, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 6, 4/4, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 7, 4/7, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan

STANLEY CUP FINAL

Canadiens-Bruins
Game 1, 4/9, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 2, 4/11, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 3, 4/12, No telecast
Game 4, 4/14, No telecast
Game 5, 4/16, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan

Note:
This appears to have been the first Stanley Cup playoffs that were televised. In 1952-53, CBC began televising Hockey Night in Canada as a similcast to the radio calls, joining the games in progress either 30 minutes or 60 minutes after the opening faceoff.

The reason I emphasize "appears" is because after researching through the archives of the Toronto Star and the Toronto Globe & Mail and their TV listings and sports pages, I saw no instance of any of the playoff games being televised to Toronto.

I am assuming that the CBC did carry the Canadiens playoff games held at the Forum on its Montreal TV affiliate only. Maybe a line was fed to its Ottawa TV affiliate as well, but certainly no further than this. The one possible exception to this might have been game 6 of the semi finals played in Chicago Stadium, with the Hawks in a potential clinching mode. However, I am not sure the CBC would have been able to connect its land lines with the connection in Chicago.

The only way we could confirm playoff telecasts in Montreal would be to research the English language papers in Montreal; namely the Gazette or the Star. But for now, I will go under the assumption that the above is how it played down. And as always, confirmation is absolutely appreciated.

I'll attempt the 1954 Stanley Cup crews. Note that the CBC was the only operating network in Canada. As well, it is likely that not all Maple Leafs and Canadiens games were televised, even to their local markets.

There was no American network coverage in 1955.

SEMI FINALS

Red Wings-Maple Leafs
Game 1, 3/23, No telecast
Game 2, 3/25, No telecast
Game 3, 3/27, CBC (JIP). Foster Hewitt
Game 4, 3/30, CBC (JIP). Foster Hewitt
Game 5, 4/1, No telecast

Canadiens-Bruins
Game 1, 3/23, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 2, 3/25, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 3, 3/28, No telecast
Game 4, 3/30, No telecast

STANLEY CUP FINAL

Red Wings-Canadiens
Game 1, 4/4, No telecast
Game 2, 4/6, No telecast
Game 3, 4/8, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 4, 4/10, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 5, 4/11, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 6, 4/13, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 7, 4/16, CBC. Danny Gallivan

Note: Stanley Cup final games 3, 4 and 5 were joined in progress at 9:30 PM (8:30 PM start), game 6, JIP'ed at 10:00 PM (9:00 PM). Game 7 carried Dominion wide from opening face-off at 9:00 PM. As game 7 was played on Good Friday night, there were no commercials (Imperial Oil/Esso).

FYI, the reason for the extra night between game 6 and game 7? The Harlem Globetrotters had the Olympia booked for 4/15!

There was no American network coverage.

(JIP) = joined in progress.

CANADIAN CREWS

SEMI FINALS

Red Wings-Maple Leafs
Game 1, 3/22, No telecast
Game 2, 3/24, No telecast
Game 3, 3/26, CBC (JIP). Foster Hewitt
Game 4, 3/29, CBC (JIP). Foster Hewitt

Canadiens-Bruins
Game 1, 3/22, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 2, 3/24, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 3, 3/27, No telecast
Game 4, 3/29, No telecast
Game 5, 3/31, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan

Note:
The 3/26 DET-TOR and the 3/31 BOS-MTL games were televised nationally.
The 3/22 BOS-MTL, 3/24 BOS-MTL and 3/29 DET-TOR games were likely televised regionally.

STANLEY CUP FINAL

Red Wings-Canadiens
Game 1, 4/3, No telecast
Game 2, 4/5, No telecast
Game 3, 4/7, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 4, 4/9, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 5, 4/10, No telecast
Game 6, 4/12, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 7, 4/14, CBC. Danny Gallivan

Note:
Game 3 appears to have been televised only to Montreal region, while games 4, 6 and 7 looks to have been nationally televised, with Game 7 shown in full.

These are the crews for the 1956 Stanley Cup playoffs.

Games not played on Saturday nights or non-potential clincher games may not have been seen outside of the Toronto/Montreal metro areas. A blurb in the 4/3/56 edition of the Toronto Star stated, "CBC policy is that only games that could decide the final series will be telecast. Next game to be televised might be Sunday night's match, if Montreal is three games up then." But in Gordon Sinclair's TV column in the 4/5/56 Star, he stated that game 3 of the Final would be televised beginning at 9:30 "due to public demand and clamor."

Here are the crews for the Stanley Cup playoffs in Canada in 1957. There was no American network coverage.

Please alert with any omissions or errors.Appreciated as always.

CANADIAN CREWS

SEMI FINALS

Red Wings-Bruins
Game 1, 3/26, No telecast
Game 2, 3/28, No telecast
Game 3, 3/31, No telecast
Game 4, 4/2, No telecast
Game 5, 4/4, No telecast

Canadiens-Rangers
Game 1, 3/26, CBC. Danny Gallivan
Game 2, 3/28, CBC. Danny Gallivan
Game 3, 3/30, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 4, 4/2, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 5, 4/4, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan

Note:
Games 1, 2 and 4 likely not seen outside of Montreal region...or maybe not televised at all.

STANLEY CUP FINAL

Canadiens-Bruins
Game 1, 4/6, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 2, 4/9, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 3, 4/11, CBC. Danny Gallivan
Game 4, 4/14, CBC. Danny Gallivan
Game 5, 4/16, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan

Notes:
Games from the Forum were joined in progress at 9:00 PM (start time 8:30 PM). Games from the Boston Garden were telecast from the start at 8:00 PM.

This appears to be the first SC Final in which all games were nationally televised.

There was no American coverage in 1958.

Please alert with any omissions or errors. Thank you.

CANADIAN CREWS

SEMI FINALS

Canadiens-Rangers
Game 1, 3/20, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 2, 3/22, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 3, 3/24, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 4, 3/25, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 5, 3/27, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan

Note:
There is the possibility that game 4 might not have been televised. This game was played at the pre-1968 Madison Square Garden. This game was not the potential clincher, nor was it played in Montreal. However, as the CBC had televised game 3 the night before at the same venue, they simply might have had all the equipment still in place. For now, I will list this game as televised (Montreal area only) until proven otherwise.

Red Wings-Maple Leafs
Game 1, 3/20, No telecast
Game 2, 3/22, No telecast
Game 3, 3/24, CBC (JIP). Foster Hewitt
Game 4, 3/27, CBC (JIP). Foster Hewitt
Game 5, 3/29, CBC (JIP). Foster Hewitt

STANLEY CUP FINAL

Canadiens-Red Wings
Game 1, 3/31, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 2, 4/3, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 3, 4/5, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 4, 4/8, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 5, 4/10, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan

Note: Game 2 may not have been televised outside of Montreal.

games 3 (3-24) and game 5 (3-27) were televised in NY on wpix 11 at 9pm with Bud Palmer pbp and Jack McCarthy in studio; beyond that I know no other US tv coverage; the only other US team in the playoffs was Detroit, where CBC telecasts were available

(JIP) = joined in progress. From all indications, all telecasts were joined in progress.

Here are the crews:

CANADIAN CREWS

SEMI FINALS

Canadiens-Red Wings
Game 1, 3/25, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 2, 3/27, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 3, 3/30, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 4, 4/1, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan

Note: Games 1, 2 and 3 likely not seen outside of Quebec.

Rangers-Bruins
Game 1, 3/25, No telecast
Game 2, 3/27, No telecast
Game 3, 3/29, CBC (JIP). Foster Hewitt
Game 4, 4/1, No telecast
Game 5, 4/3, No telecast
Game 6, 4/5, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan

STANLEY CUP FINAL

Canadiens-Bruins
Game 1, 4/8, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan, Frank Selke
Game 2, 4/10, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan, Frank Selke
Game 3, 4/13, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan, Frank Selke
Game 4, 4/15, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan, Frank Selke
Game 5, 4/17, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan, Frank Selke
Game 6, 4/20, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan, Frank Selke

Here's the listing for the 1959 Stanley Cup TV crews. There were NO network telecasts in the States.

As always, please alert if you should find any errors or omissions.

SEMI FINALS

Bruins-Maple Leafs
Game 1, 3/24, CBC (JIP). Bill Hewitt, Foster Hewitt
Game 2, 3/26, CBC (JIP). Bill Hewitt, Foster Hewitt
Game 3, 3/28, CBC (JIP). Bill Hewitt, Foster Hewitt
Game 4, 3/31, CBC (JIP). Bill Hewitt, Foster Hewitt
Game 5, 4/2, CBC (JIP). Bill Hewitt, Foster Hewitt
Game 6, 4/4, CBC (JIP). Bill Hewitt, Foster Hewitt
Game 7, 4/7, CBC (JIP). Bill Hewitt, Foster Hewitt

Canadiens-Black Hawks
Game 1, 3/24, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 2, 3/26, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 3, 3/28, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 4, 3/31, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 5, 4/2, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 6, 4/4, CBC. Danny Gallivan

STANLEY CUP FINAL

Canadiens-Maple Leafs
Game 1, 4/9, CBC. Danny Gallivan, Frank Selke Jr.
Game 2, 4/11, CBC. Danny Gallivan, Frank Selke Jr.
Game 3, 4/14, CBC. Bill Hewitt, Foster Hewitt
Game 4, 4/16, CBC. Bill Hewitt, Foster Hewitt
Game 5, 4/18, CBC. Danny Gallivan, Frank Selke Jr.

Game 7 of Toronto-Boston, at Boston Garden, was also a JIP telecast. I have a copy of the broadcast (a CBC-preserved kine), and it joins just before the start of the second period. The Hewitt's were simulcasting on CKFH and CBC Radio, and one of them welcomes the television audience.

With the games on the same date, were Canadiens games seen only in Quebec and the Leafs in the rest of the country for the first six nights of the semis? I'd think, barring overtime, that the three games in Chicago could have been joined in progress on the rest of the network. I know that by the 1960s, CBC would jump to a second game when series had clinching games.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Khoa Nguyen

Mar 23, 2022, 6:27:17 PMMar 23
On Tuesday, October 29, 2019 at 7:32:49 PM UTC-5, tmc...@gmail.com wrote:

Here are the crews for 1953 in Canada. There was no American network coverage.
This appears to have been the first Stanley Cup playoffs that were televised. In 1952-53, CBC began televising Hockey Night in Canada as a simulcast to the radio calls, joining the games in progress either 30 minutes or 60 minutes after the opening faceoff.

The reason I emphasize "appears" is because after researching through the archives of the Toronto Star and the Toronto Globe & Mail and their TV listings and sports pages, I saw no instance of any of the playoff games being televised to Toronto.

I am assuming that the CBC did carry the Canadiens playoff games held at the Forum on its Montreal TV affiliate only. Maybe a line was fed to its Ottawa TV affiliate as well, but certainly no further than this. The one possible exception to this might have been game 6 of the semifinals played in Chicago Stadium, with the Hawks in a potential clinching mode. However, I am not sure the CBC would have been able to connect its land lines with the connection in Chicago.

The only way we could confirm playoff telecasts in Montréal would be to research the English language papers in Montréal; namely the Gazette or the Star. But for now, I will go under the assumption that the above is how it played down. And as always, confirmation is absolutely appreciated.

1954
I'll attempt the 1954 Stanley Cup crews. Note that the CBC was the only operating network in Canada. As well, it is likely that not all Maple Leafs and Canadiens games were televised, even to their local markets. Once again, there was no American network coverage in 1954.

SEMIFINALS
Red Wings-Maple Leafs
Game 1, 3/23, No telecast
Game 2, 3/25, No telecast
Game 3, 3/27, CBC (JIP). Foster Hewitt
Game 4, 3/30, CBC (JIP). Foster Hewitt
Game 5, 4/1, No telecast

Canadiens-Bruins
Game 1, 3/23, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 2, 3/25, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 3, 3/28, No telecast
Game 4, 3/30, No telecast

STANLEY CUP FINAL
Red Wings-Canadiens
Game 1, 4/4, No telecast
Game 2, 4/6, No telecast
Game 3, 4/8, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 4, 4/10, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 5, 4/11, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 6, 4/13, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 7, 4/16, CBC. Danny Gallivan

Note:
CBC's coverage of games 3–5 were joined in progress at 9:30 p.m. (approximately one hour after start time). Meanwhile, CBC joined game six in at 10 p.m. (again, one hour after start time). Game 7 was carried nationwide from opening the face-off at 9 p.m. Since game 7 was played on Good Friday night, there were no commercials (Imperial Oil was the sponsor). FYI, the reason for the extra night between game 6 and game 7? The Harlem Globetrotters had the Olympia booked for 4/15!

1955
Once again, there was no American network coverage.

(JIP) = joined in progress.

CANADIAN CREWS
SEMIFINALS
Red Wings-Maple Leafs
Game 1, 3/22, No telecast
Game 2, 3/24, No telecast
Game 3, 3/26, CBC (JIP). Foster Hewitt
Game 4, 3/29, CBC (JIP). Foster Hewitt

Canadiens-Bruins
Game 1, 3/22, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 2, 3/24, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 3, 3/27, No telecast
Game 4, 3/29, No telecast
Game 5, 3/31, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan

Note:
Game 3 of the Detroit-Toronto series and Game 5 of the Boston-Montréal series were televised nationally. Whereas, Games 1 and 2 of Boston-Montréal series and Game 4 of the Detroit-Toronto series were likely televised regionally.

STANLEY CUP FINAL
Red Wings-Canadiens
Game 1, 4/3, No telecast
Game 2, 4/5, No telecast
Game 3, 4/7, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 4, 4/9, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 5, 4/10, No telecast
Game 6, 4/12, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 7, 4/14, CBC. Danny Gallivan

Note:
Game 3 appears to have been televised only to Montréal region, while games 4, 6 and 7 looks to have been nationally televised, with Game 7 shown in full.

1956

These are the crews for the 1956 Stanley Cup playoffs. Once again, there was no American coverage in 1956.

Games not played on Saturday nights or non-potential clincher games may not have been seen outside of the Toronto/Montreal metro areas. A blurb in the 4/3/56 edition of the Toronto Star stated, "CBC policy is that only games that could decide the final series will be telecast. Next game to be televised might be Sunday night's match, if Montréal is three games up then." But in Gordon Sinclair's TV column in the 4/5/56 Star, he stated that game 3 of the Final would be televised beginning at 9:30 "due to public demand and clamor."

Please alert with any omissions or errors. Thank you.

CANADIAN CREWS
SEMIFINALS
Canadiens-Rangers
Game 1, 3/20, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 2, 3/22, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 3, 3/24, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 4, 3/25, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 5, 3/27, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan

Note:
Game 4 of the Montréal-New York Rangers series was not the potential clincher, nor was it played in Montreal. Therefore, there was a possible chance that the game wasn't going to be televised.

Red Wings-Maple Leafs
Game 1, 3/20, No telecast
Game 2, 3/22, No telecast
Game 3, 3/24, CBC (JIP). Foster Hewitt
Game 4, 3/27, CBC (JIP). Foster Hewitt
Game 5, 3/29, CBC (JIP). Foster Hewitt

STANLEY CUP FINAL
Canadiens-Red Wings
Game 1, 3/31, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 2, 4/3, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 3, 4/5, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 4, 4/8, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 5, 4/10, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan

Note:
Game 2 may not have been televised outside of Montréal. Games 3 (3-24) and 5 (3-27) were televised in NY on WPIX-11 at 9pm with Bud Palmer calling the play-by-play and Jack McCarthy in studio; beyond that I know no other US tv coverage; the only other US team in the playoffs was Detroit, where CBC telecasts were available

1957

Here are the crews for the Stanley Cup playoffs in Canada in 1957. Once again, there was no American network coverage. Please alert with any omissions or errors. Appreciated as always.

CANADIAN CREWS
SEMIFINALS
Red Wings-Bruins
Game 1, 3/26, No telecast
Game 2, 3/28, No telecast
Game 3, 3/31, No telecast
Game 4, 4/2, No telecast
Game 5, 4/4, No telecast

Canadiens-Rangers
Game 1, 3/26, CBC. Danny Gallivan
Game 2, 3/28, CBC. Danny Gallivan
Game 3, 3/30, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 4, 4/2, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 5, 4/4, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan

Note:
Games 1, 2, and 4 of the Montréal-New York Rangers series were likely not seen outside the Montréal region if not televised at all.

STANLEY CUP FINAL
Canadiens-Bruins
Game 1, 4/6, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 2, 4/9, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 3, 4/11, CBC. Danny Gallivan
Game 4, 4/14, CBC. Danny Gallivan
Game 5, 4/16, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan

Notes:
Games from the Forum were joined in progress at 9 P.M. (start time 8:30 P.M.). Games from the Boston Garden were telecast from the start at 8 P.M. This appears to be the first Stanley Cup Final in which all games were nationally televised.

1958

(JIP) = joined in progress. From all indications, all telecasts were joined in progress. Once again, there is no American network coverage.

Here are the crews:

CANADIAN CREWS
SEMIFINALS
Canadiens-Red Wings
Game 1, 3/25, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 2, 3/27, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 3, 3/30, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan
Game 4, 4/1, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan

Note:
Games 1–3 of the Montréal-Detroit series were likely not seen outside Québec.

Rangers-Bruins
Game 1, 3/25, No telecast
Game 2, 3/27, No telecast
Game 3, 3/29, CBC (JIP). Foster Hewitt
Game 4, 4/1, No telecast
Game 5, 4/3, No telecast
Game 6, 4/5, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan

STANLEY CUP FINAL
Canadiens-Bruins
Game 1, 4/8, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan, Frank Selke, Jr.
Game 2, 4/10, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan, Frank Selke, Jr.
Game 3, 4/13, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan, Frank Selke, Jr.
Game 4, 4/15, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan, Frank Selke, Jr.
Game 5, 4/17, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan, Frank Selke, Jr.
Game 6, 4/20, CBC (JIP). Danny Gallivan, Frank Selke, Jr.

Here's the listing for the 1959 Stanley Cup TV crews. Once again, there were NO network telecasts in the United States.

[...]

With the games on the same date, were Canadiens games seen only in Québec and the Leafs in the rest of the country for the first six nights of the semis? I'd think, barring overtime, that the three games in Chicago could have been joined-in-progress on the rest of the network. I know that by the 1960s, CBC would jump to a second game when series had clinching games.