Goodwill Games Hockey

Paul Brownlow

Jul 17, 1990, 9:12:35 PM7/17/90
I stumbled across some more Goodwill Games hockey info over the
weekend. I'll post more info when I get it as well as results
if anyone is interested.

There are eight teams in two groups:

Group A Group B
------- -------
Switzerland Canada
West Germany Czechoslovakia
USSR Sweden
USA Finland

The round-robin competition is played between July 27 and August 1
at the Tri-Cities Coliseum in Kennewick, WA. The top 2 teams from
each group advance to the medal round. The bottom 2 teams play on
August 2 in the classification semifinal for seeding in a single
elimination playoff for 5th and 7th place on August 3. These games
are also in the Tri-Cities.

The medal round is played August 4 and 5 at the Tacoma Dome in Tacoma, WA.
The semifinal games are played on Aug. 4, and the Gold and Bronze medal
games are played on Aug. 5.

NHL players are banned from the tournament. Petr Nedved is ineligible
to play for Czechoslovakia since he defected; Jari Kurri is ineligible since
he played in the NHL last year.

Winger Pavel Bure, who was the 113th player picked overall by Vancouver
in the 1989 entry draft, will be playing for the Soviets. He was the
Soviet league's rookie-of-the-year in 1988-89.

The broadcast schedule is unclear. Some games are being broadcast in
Seattle on radio (I don't know if it's national); I'm not sure if these
are also the games being broadcast on TV. I'll try to find out more
later this week when I go to work at the Games.

Date Time Teams
Sat. July 28 3:30-6:30pm USA vs. Switzerland
Mon. July 30 6:30-9:00pm USA vs. USSR
Wed. Aug 1 ??? USA vs. West Germany
Sat. Aug 4 12:45-3:30pm Semifinal
Sun. Aug 5 12:45-3:30pm Gold Medal game

All times are Pacific Daylight (GMT-7).

I am attempting to get a full round-robin and television schedule.

--
Paul Brownlow | "What a waste it is to lose
Data I/O Corp. Redmond, WA | one's mind -- or not have

Gary L Dare

Jul 18, 1990, 11:58:35 AM7/18/90
In article <25...@dataio.Data-IO.COM> pa...@Data-IO.COM (Paul Brownlow) writes:

>There are eight teams in two groups:
>
>Group A Group B
>------- -------
>Switzerland Canada
>West Germany Czechoslovakia
>USSR Sweden
>USA Finland
>
>The top 2 teams from each group advance to the medal round.

This is so obviously biased to have at least a second USA-USSR game!
But that's the object of these games; maximum play between Americans
and Soviets, and everyone else is a bit player. Hmmmph!

>I am attempting to get a full round-robin and television schedule.

Thanks, Paul! Our local cableco (which tried to can the second
Sportschannel America feed with hockey during the playoffs) is of
little help; I had to call three times to find an operator that knew
they had TBS and TNT on their system -- geez!

Just some advice: if any of you guys get a job at Columbia or NYU
or just live in Manhattan, go south of 79th West or 86th East; the
cable in North Manhattan sucks the big one ...

gld
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Je me souviens ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gary L. Dare No golf courses on
> g...@cunixD.cc.columbia.EDU Mohawk Indian
> g...@cunixc.BITNET burial grounds! (Oka, Quebec)

Anders Engwall

Jul 19, 1990, 8:05:58 AM7/19/90
In article <1990Jul18....@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> g...@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Gary L Dare) writes:
>In article <25...@dataio.Data-IO.COM> pa...@Data-IO.COM (Paul Brownlow) writes:
>>
>>There are eight teams in two groups:
>>
>>Group A Group B
>>------- -------
>>Switzerland Canada
>>West Germany Czechoslovakia
>>USSR Sweden
>>USA Finland
>>
>>The top 2 teams from each group advance to the medal round.
>
>This is so obviously biased to have at least a second USA-USSR game!
>But that's the object of these games; maximum play between Americans
>and Soviets, and everyone else is a bit player. Hmmmph!

Agreed. There is probably another reason too: to ensure that the USA makes it
to the medal round. Why else put the two weakest (judging by the latest World
Championships, anyway) teams - W.Germany and Switzerland - in the same group?
My guess is that the TV company with the transmission rights (whichever it is)
has had word in it; they of course want as many viewers as possible, and it's
a well-known fact that most USamericans don't give a f_k about hockey unless
one of the teams happens to be the US national team. Sort of reminds me of the
'88 Olympics, when the medal round was expanded from four two to six teams for
similar reasons (then the W.Germans spoiled everything by being better than ex-
pected, but that's another story)...

Mind, I don't have anything against the USA or it's national team. I just dis-
like obviously biased set-ups like these.

/Anders

Gary L Dare

Jul 19, 1990, 11:41:58 AM7/19/90
In article <1990Jul19.1...@eua.ericsson.se>

eua...@eua.ericsson.se (Anders Engwall) writes:
>In article <1990Jul18....@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
g...@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Gary L Dare) writes:

>>This is so obviously biased to have at least a second USA-USSR game!
>>But that's the object of these games; maximum play between Americans
>>and Soviets, and everyone else is a bit player. Hmmmph!
>
>My guess is that the TV company with the transmission rights (whichever
>it is) has had word in it; they of course want as many viewers as possible,
>and it's a well-known fact that most USamericans don't give a f_k about
>hockey unless one of the teams happens to be the US national team.

... and the other team happens to be the Soviet Union, which even weak
is one rank above the US College All-Stars team that's going to be
playing (and look out if they have Artur Irbe' in goal; he was the star
from Dynamo Riga who got -- ahem! -- transferred to Central Red Army).

Don't get me wrong; the next Team USA with seasoned American NHLers
will show how far US hockey has advanced (maybe in next year's Canada
Cup tournament).

>Mind, I don't have anything against the USA or it's national team.

>I just dislike obviously biased set-ups like these.

The guy who is sponsoring the Games, Ted Turner, also owns TBS and
TNT, two US cable stations that show reruns and old movies. He who
has the gold, makes the rules! (-;

Mike Machnik

Jul 19, 1990, 4:42:00 PM7/19/90
In article <1990Jul19.1...@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
g...@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Gary L Dare) writes:
>... and the other team happens to be the Soviet Union, which even weak
>is one rank above the US College All-Stars team that's going to be
>playing...

Hey Gary!

Actually, the U.S. Goodwill Games team will not be made up mostly of
(current) NCAA players. Carol White posted this on the college hockey
mailing list (thanks Carol):

(after the end of the U.S. Olympic Festival in Minnesota)
+ The hockey players got their medals, but none will be
+ asked to join the U.S. team at a camp that starts today in Colorado Springs to
+ participate in the Goodwill Games next week. That team will include mostly
+ more experienced players and some minor league pros. Wisconsin's Jeff Sauer
+ will coach the team.
+
+ The roster: goaltenders-John Blue, Ray LeBlanc, Guy Herbert, and Dave Littman;
+ defensemen-Tom Pederson, Todd Richards, Ian Kidd, Guy Gosselin, Dan Keczmer,
+ Scott Sandelin, Paul Stanton, Carl Valimont and Duane Joyce; and forwards-Jim
+ Nesich, Lee Davidson, Mike McNeil, C.J. Young, Scot Harlow, Jim Johansson,
+ Steve Johnson, Tony Amonte, David Emma, Joe Sacco, Bob Lakso, and Tim Sweeney.

I don't understand the mentality of the people in charge of the U.S.
Goodwill team. I saw most of these guys play in college, and even though
most are in the AHL/IHL now (except for a few, like Amonte and Emma, who
are still with BU and BC respectively), I think an all-star team of the
best players from the Olympic Festival could probably beat this team.
And, this year's Olympic Festival players will likely be the ones who
comprise the 1992 U.S. Olympic Team. Give them another chance to face
international competition!

There is no excuse for the way AHAUS has handled the U.S. international
effort. It's disgusting, and every American hockey fan should be
angry. The U.S. should try to put its best team on the ice in every
international tournament! I doubt that this was attempted here. For
example, why wasn't Greg Brown, the second- or third-best American
defenseman, asked to play?

>Don't get me wrong; the next Team USA with seasoned American NHLers
>will show how far US hockey has advanced (maybe in next year's Canada
>Cup tournament).

I hope you're right, Gary. Yet, as I argued here vehemently two and a
half years ago, any group of competent human beings could have led the
U.S. team (made up of mostly collegians) to better than a seventh place
finish in Calgary. That team had some real talent on it, much of
which is starring in the NHL right now. I see the Goodwill Games
fiasco as just another example of AHAUS stupidity. I wouldn't be
surprised if they don't even make the medal round.

- mike

- Mike Machnik mik...@apollo.com UUCP: mit-eddie!apollo!mike_m
NORTHEASTERN HUSKIES --> 1988 Beanpot & Hockey East Champions
MERRIMACK WARRIORS --> 1993 Hockey East Champions
********************************cmk********************************

Kevin Hartmann

Jul 20, 1990, 9:53:49 AM7/20/90
In article <1990Jul19.1...@eua.ericsson.se> eua...@eua.ericsson.se (Anders Engwall) writes:

>My guess is that the TV company with the transmission rights (whichever it is)
>has had word in it; they of course want as many viewers as possible, and it's
>
>/Anders

I think your guess has a very good chance of being correct, since Ted Turner
IS the one who started the games.

And for all the people that were belly-aching about the Games
favouring Soviet-American competition:
He founded the games as his "attempt to improve Soviet and U.S.
relations". Furthermore the Games were initially going to be just a
dual competition. Guess which two countries.

Kevin

Paul Brownlow

Jul 20, 1990, 3:17:14 PM7/20/90
In article <1990Jul19.1...@eua.ericsson.se> eua...@eua.ericsson.se (Anders Engwall) writes:
>In article <1990Jul18....@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> g...@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Gary L Dare) writes:
>>In article <25...@dataio.Data-IO.COM> pa...@Data-IO.COM (Paul Brownlow) writes:
>>>
>>>There are eight teams in two groups:

I post the groups for the upcoming Goodwill Games tournament:

Group A Group B
------- -------

Anders Engwall writes:

Agreed. There is probably another reason too: to ensure that the USA makes it
to the medal round. Why else put the two weakest (judging by the latest World
Championships, anyway) teams - W.Germany and Switzerland - in the same group?
My guess is that the TV company with the transmission rights (whichever it is)
has had word in it; they of course want as many viewers as possible, and it's
a well-known fact that most USamericans don't give a f_k about hockey unless
one of the teams happens to be the US national team. Sort of reminds me of the
'88 Olympics, when the medal round was expanded from four two to six teams for
similar reasons (then the W.Germans spoiled everything by being better than ex-
pected, but that's another story)...

Mind, I don't have anything against the USA or it's national team. I just dis-
like obviously biased set-ups like these.

+++++

I dislike the biased set-ups, too. However, it should be expected in
the case of the Goodwill Games -- if you look how atheletes were chosen
for all events (not only hockey), it's obvious. The USA and USSR are
guaranteed entry in every event. The remaining six slots are taken by
the next six-best competitors.

Ted Turner started the Goodwill Games 4 years ago to try and repair
the damage between the USA and USSR after the boycotting of the 1980
Moscow and 1984 Los Angeles Olympics; the purpose wasn't necessarily
to do things on a world scale. There are many art and cultural events
connected with the Goodwill Games, and they all have to to with
USA/USSR exchanges, not USA/Canada, or USA/Sweden, or USSR/Brazil,
or whatever.

The Goodwill Games are *not* the Olympics, so I wouldn't expect the
same organization and results. Maybe in the future the two will become
more similar (in the Olympic way, of course) when the focus of the Games
becomes less of a USA/USSR exchange.

What gets me is the all USA/USSR events have a premium attached to them --
for example, USA/USSR round-robin hockey costs $15, while all other
round-robin games cost $10. USSR/Canada, USSR/Czech, and Czeck/Canada
should all be better games (as well as any game involving Sweden, Anders :-)
at a lower price.

At least it means we'll get to see some new hockey this month, instead of
waiting until September!

Edward Dellorusso

Jul 24, 1990, 1:46:00 AM7/24/90
can anyone interested in doing a survey please respond to the following
question.
what would be your ultimate power play line?
my choice. bobby orr,serge savard,gordie howe,phil esposito,wayne gresky

Donald L. Savard

Jul 24, 1990, 1:59:00 AM7/24/90

how about bobby orr and larry robinson on the points
gordie howe,wayne gretsky,bobby hull
you need a goalie: gerry cheevers

John Brown

Jul 25, 1990, 9:22:12 AM7/25/90

I kind of liked the power play Canada had in the last Canada Cup. Bourque
and Coffey on the points, Messier, Lemieux, and Gretzky up front. The only
substitution I would make would be Orr instead of Coffey.

jb

Kevin Hartmann

Jul 25, 1990, 2:36:41 PM7/25/90
In article <1990Jul25.1...@sq.sq.com> jo...@sq.sq.com (John Brown) writes:

>I kind of liked the power play Canada had in the last Canada Cup. Bourque
>and Coffey on the points, Messier, Lemieux, and Gretzky up front. The only
>substitution I would make would be Orr instead of Coffey.

Okay... Now how about a penalty-killing line for these guys to go up against?

Here's mine - A piece of plywood nailed to the front of the net.

Kevin

Gary L Dare

Jul 25, 1990, 3:24:28 PM7/25/90

The Minnesota North Stars announced that Harold Baldwin, who was
the catalyst in the franchise's purchase from the Gunds, will be
leaving his post as president for majority owner Green; Green has
51% of the franchise, and Baldwin only 24.5%.

Brian Propp has been signed as a free agent w/o compensation by the
Stars. He joins former Flyer teammate Ilkka Sinnisalo. Also, there
is a rumour that they will try to get Bobby Smith back from les Habs
in a trade.

Dale Cooper

Jul 25, 1990, 5:22:30 PM7/25/90
In article <10...@pt.cs.cmu.edu> k...@fas.ri.cmu.edu (Kevin Hartmann) writes:

>Okay... Now how about a penalty-killing line for these guys to go up against?

>Here's mine - A piece of plywood nailed to the front of the net.

>Kevin

Better make that cinder blocks or even bricks...

--|||||||||||||||||----------------------------------|Arlington, VA
| | Where even the
| mayor parties!

Randy VanKooten

Jul 25, 1990, 1:23:31 PM7/25/90
In article <4bc6987...@apollo.HP.COM> dellor...@computo.UUCP (Edward Dellorusso) writes:

Bobby Orr, Denis Potvin, Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Maurice Richard

2nd line:
Paul Coffey, Doug Harvey, Phil Esposito, Bobby Hull, Valery Kharlamov

scott rezendes

Jul 26, 1990, 11:23:29 AM7/26/90
>In article <4bc6987...@apollo.HP.COM> dellor...@computo.UUCP (Edward Dellorusso) writes:
> can anyone interested in doing a survey please respond to the following
> question.
> what would be your ultimate power play line?
> my choice. bobby orr,serge savard,gordie howe,phil esposito,wayne gresky
>
> how about bobby orr and larry robinson on the points
> gordie howe,wayne gretsky,bobby hull
> you need a goalie: gerry cheevers

my choice:
1st team: gretzky(lw), Esposito(c), Bossy(rw), Orr(d), Bourque(d),
Hextall(g)- only for his offensive abilities.

2nd team: John Wensienk(sp), Dave "The Hammer" Schultz(sp), Tiger Williams,
S.Stevens(d), Mike Milbury(d).
Hextall(g)- for his better known abilities.

scott s...@bii.bruker.com

Superuser

Jul 26, 1990, 1:50:40 PM7/26/90
>>>what would be your ultimate power play line?
>>
>>how about bobby orr and larry robinson on the points

I had the pleasure of watching Bobby Orr and Brad Park
on the power-play points for the B's for several games
before Orr got hurt and had to retire. In a word, awsome.

BTW- whoever that nit-wit was that mentioned Orr and Gretsky at the points
well...GET A GRIP !!!

Rick Wanner

Jul 27, 1990, 3:04:42 PM7/27/90
>In article <4bc6a45...@apollo.HP.COM> sava...@computo.UUCP (Donald L. Savard) writes:
>>you need a goalie: gerry cheevers

Cheevers! No way. Ken Dryden or how about Jacque Plante.

Richard Wanner UUCP ..!uunet!bnrgate!bcarh415!rwanner
(613) 763-4159 BNR claims no responsibility for my opinions. As a matter of
a fact I don't think they know I have opinions.

Rick Wanner

Jul 27, 1990, 3:16:44 PM7/27/90
>In article <4bc6987...@apollo.HP.COM> dellor...@computo.UUCP (Edward Dellorusso) writes:
>>what would be your ultimate power play line?
>>my choice. bobby orr,serge savard,gordie howe,phil esposito,wayne gresky
Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque, Wayne Gretzky, Bobby Hull, Maurice Richard

Jeff Galarneau

Jul 30, 1990, 9:16:23 AM7/30/90

Brian Propp has been signed as a free agent w/o compensation by the
Stars. He joins former Flyer teammate Ilkka Sinnisalo. Also, there
is a rumour that they will try to get Bobby Smith back from les Habs
in a trade.

I've heard this same rumour, but it wouldn't make any sense for the Stars
to trade for him because they wouldn't be able to protect from the
expansion draft. He would play for the Stars only one year before the San
Jose franchise snarfed him up.

Jeff

Rory Jacobs

Jul 30, 1990, 9:46:48 AM7/30/90
How about Ron Hextall as goalie? At least he can handle the puck!

Rory
ro...@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca