Is it PC to make fun of Texans?

1 view

Dene

Jan 12, 2007, 5:45:12 PM1/12/07
The joke goes;
An East Texas country boy sees a sign in the restaurant reading,
"Happy Hour Special: Lobster Tail & Beer."

"Lord almighty!" he says to himself, "My three favorite things".

Is this kind of humour acceptable?
1. No way - it's not politically correct
2. Not sure - I didn't understand the original joke
3. Hell yes - if it weren't for Texans, who'd we make fun of?
4. Where's Texas?

Finally....how about them Seahawks!!!!

-Greg

greenkeeper

Jan 12, 2007, 6:20:39 PM1/12/07
In message <1168641912.3...@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, Dene
<gds...@aol.com> writes
Hey the same as me, but I am not Texan!!
1) Why not?
2) Really?
3) Scots, English, Irish, good grief the list is endless!!
4) Somewhere in the Northern Hemisphere (I think).
Do they not eat all the trout and salmon?

Don't they play Fitba in Texas?
http://www.pbase.com/alancampbell/image/72854864/medium

And host Majors?
http://www.pbase.com/alancampbell/image/72854689
--
alan

Head Shot

Jan 12, 2007, 6:46:43 PM1/12/07
Dene wrote:
> 4. Where's Texas?

A day and a half east of gun-grabbing California.

> Finally....how about them Seahawks!!!!

What are those? Do they taste like chicken?

Dene

Jan 13, 2007, 12:14:47 AM1/13/07

Head Shot wrote:

> > Finally....how about them Seahawks!!!!
>
> What are those? Do they taste like chicken?

I suspect it tastes better than Falcons. ;>

-Greg

Head Shot

Jan 13, 2007, 1:13:35 AM1/13/07

In 2006; anything short of feces tastes better than the Dirty Birds. Come
to think of it; feces might be higher on the football chain....

Chris Bellomy

Jan 13, 2007, 1:56:35 AM1/13/07

:
: "Lord almighty!" he says to himself, "My three favorite things".
:
: Is this kind of humour acceptable?

It's fine by me. I think I can take it. Especially as that's *exactly* how
I would react to that sign. :)

--
Chris Bellomy
C-List Charter Member

John Reddy

Jan 13, 2007, 9:33:58 AM1/13/07
In article <1168641912.3...@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"Dene" <gds...@aol.com> wrote:

I'll take Door Number 3, thanks.

I think it was Mark Twain who said:

"Never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he's not, you will embarrass
him. If he is, he'll let you know soon enough."

Chris Bellomy

Jan 13, 2007, 11:30:20 AM1/13/07
John Reddy <john...@contbuilding.com> wrote:
: In article <1168641912.3...@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,

I think I'll remind the class that the late Byron Nelson was a
Texan born and bred.

Nyah. :)

Dene

Jan 13, 2007, 11:54:03 AM1/13/07

Chris Bellomy wrote:
> Dene <gds...@aol.com> wrote:
> : The joke goes;
> : An East Texas country boy sees a sign in the restaurant reading,
> : "Happy Hour Special: Lobster Tail & Beer."
> :
> : "Lord almighty!" he says to himself, "My three favorite things".
> :
> : Is this kind of humour acceptable?
>
> It's fine by me. I think I can take it. Especially as that's *exactly* how
> I would react to that sign. :)

I'm impressed that you got the joke, whereas I admit...I had to read it
a couple of times.

-Greg

Mike Dalecki

Jan 13, 2007, 11:55:31 AM1/13/07

Well, that's one.

--
Mike Dalecki GCA Accredited Clubmaker http://clubdoctor.com
RSG-Wisconsin 2006 Report http://dalecki.net/rsgwis2006/pics/

Bobby Knight

Jan 13, 2007, 11:59:50 AM1/13/07
On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 14:33:58 GMT, John Reddy
<john...@contbuilding.com> wrote:

>> Is this kind of humour acceptable?
>> 1. No way - it's not politically correct
>> 2. Not sure - I didn't understand the original joke
>> 3. Hell yes - if it weren't for Texans, who'd we make fun of?
>> 4. Where's Texas?

>I'll take Door Number 3, thanks.

>I think it was Mark Twain who said:
>
>"Never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he's not, you will embarrass
>him. If he is, he'll let you know soon enough."

If you think that Twain was making fun of Texans, read it again.
--
___,
\o

/ \
.
"Someone likes every shot"!
bk

Dene

Jan 13, 2007, 12:01:11 PM1/13/07

Chris Bellomy wrote:
> I think I'll remind the class that the late Byron Nelson was a
> Texan born and bred.
>
> Nyah. :)

May I remind the class that the Cowboys are playing golf this Sunday.

Nyah! ;>

-Greg

Head Shot

Jan 13, 2007, 12:35:40 PM1/13/07
Chris Bellomy wrote:
> I think I'll remind the class that the late Byron Nelson was a
> Texan born and bred.

Isn't Bushtard a Texan? That has to counteract anything good Nelson ever
did.

Chris Bellomy

Jan 13, 2007, 12:35:15 PM1/13/07
Dene <gds...@aol.com> wrote:
:

Oh, I immediately figured out where it was going. I'm tellin' ya,
that really is how a lot of Texans think. Anytime we see a bar
that has a "Dancing" sign next to a "Beer" sign, we immediately
conjure dancing beer. It's something in our water, I guess.

Chris Bellomy

Jan 13, 2007, 12:38:01 PM1/13/07
Dene <gds...@aol.com> wrote:
:

May I remind the class that the Dallas Cowboys ceased to exist in
February 1989.

(I'm always glad to see Jerry lose, dude.)

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS

Jan 13, 2007, 12:48:52 PM1/13/07

Texas is the Loon Star State and the only state to give us a president
who is a convicted drug criminal and a first lady who committed
vehicular manslaughter if not murder and then bought her way out of
prosecution. The state should be nuked.

Bobby Knight

Jan 13, 2007, 12:49:01 PM1/13/07

Bzzzzt. He was born in New Haven, Connecticut.

MoiMoi

Jan 13, 2007, 1:30:54 PM1/13/07
In article <0T3pdps...@redshark.goodshow.net>,
pu...@tbbqfubj.arg.invalid says...

> .... Anytime we see a bar

> that has a "Dancing" sign next to a "Beer" sign,

Saw a little sign, said "Eat Gas Now"

MM

Chris Bellomy

greenkeeper

Jan 13, 2007, 1:49:12 PM1/13/07
In message <MPG.2012ef65b...@news.individual.net>, MoiMoi
<moi...@example.com> writes

Like the Bucees sign;
"eat here get gas"!!!

http://www.pbase.com/alancampbell/image/65212741/medium
--
alan

Head Shot

Jan 13, 2007, 2:20:16 PM1/13/07
Chris Bellomy wrote:
> Head Shot <Head...@thepinkmist.com> wrote:
>> Chris Bellomy wrote:
>>> I think I'll remind the class that the late Byron Nelson was a
>>> Texan born and bred.
>>
>> Isn't Bushtard a Texan?
>
> Connecticut.

He was born in Connecticut but grew up in Midland and Houston Texas. If he
was born in an airplane would you say he was from Delta Airlines?

Bobby Knight

Jan 13, 2007, 2:26:53 PM1/13/07

That's plain :-) silly.
If you ain't born in Texas, you ain't a Texan. I know, I'm from
Louisiana and have that pointed out to me by Texan friends.

Chris Bellomy

Jan 13, 2007, 3:20:26 PM1/13/07
Head Shot <Head...@thepinkmist.com> wrote:
: Chris Bellomy wrote:

Whatever it takes to disown his ass, dude.

Head Shot

Jan 13, 2007, 4:53:41 PM1/13/07
Chris Bellomy wrote:
> Head Shot <Head...@thepinkmist.com> wrote:
>> Chris Bellomy wrote:

>>> Connecticut.
>>
>> He was born in Connecticut but grew up in Midland and Houston Texas.
>> If he was born in an airplane would you say he was from Delta
>> Airlines?
>
> Whatever it takes to disown his ass, dude.

Having spent part of my childhood in CT and none of it in TX; I want no
ownership of Blowhound Bushtard and his love affair with Johnny Walker.

Bobby Knight

Jan 13, 2007, 5:03:50 PM1/13/07

Sorry, but that's what his birth certificate will read; born in New
Haven Connecticut. Texas was the adopted state...and for good reason.
:-)

Howard Brazee

Jan 13, 2007, 5:30:54 PM1/13/07
On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 19:26:53 GMT, Bobby Knight <bkn...@conramp.net>
wrote:

>That's plain :-) silly.
>If you ain't born in Texas, you ain't a Texan. I know, I'm from
>Louisiana and have that pointed out to me by Texan friends.

Sam Houston and Davy Crockett are on line 2.

Bobby Knight

Jan 13, 2007, 6:17:48 PM1/13/07
On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 22:30:54 GMT, Howard Brazee <how...@brazee.net>
wrote:

Tell them to call back. Houston was a Virginian, Crockett was from
Tennessee. They weren't Texans.

Incidentally, both were in Texas in the 1830s, and it didn't even
become a state until 1845.

Joe User

Jan 14, 2007, 7:28:55 AM1/14/07

If you think he wasn't, read it a third time.

Bobby Knight

Jan 14, 2007, 7:50:07 AM1/14/07
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 12:28:55 GMT, Joe User <ju...@yourhouse.com>
wrote:

Comprehension challenged I see.

John van der Pflum

Jan 14, 2007, 8:57:01 AM1/14/07
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 12:50:07 GMT, Bobby Knight <bkn...@conramp.net>
wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 12:28:55 GMT, Joe User <ju...@yourhouse.com>

I guess you'll have to put me in that category, too.
--

jvdp
http://www.rsgcincinnati.com

BigPurdueFan

Jan 14, 2007, 9:35:01 AM1/14/07

It seems like he's saying Texans and loud and proud. Where that is
"making fun of them" is up to interpretation.

BigPurdueFan

Jan 14, 2007, 9:36:22 AM1/14/07

Nice try, but it seems like everyone in the world thinks of him as a
Texan.

BigPurdueFan

Jan 14, 2007, 9:40:51 AM1/14/07

Carol Burnett. Babe Didrikson Zaharias. Roger Staubach. Gene
Roddenberry. Jayne Mansfield.

There are tons of a great Texans. It's a great state....almost as great
as Texans think it is!

Miss Anne Thrope

Jan 14, 2007, 9:52:41 AM1/14/07
Still waiting for the "humour" part.

John Reddy

Jan 14, 2007, 11:05:02 AM1/14/07
In article <8gciq2lguginpuk9b...@4ax.com>,
Bobby Knight <bkn...@conramp.net> wrote:

> That's plain :-) silly.
> If you ain't born in Texas, you ain't a Texan. I know, I'm from
> Louisiana and have that pointed out to me by Texan friends.

Works the same way up here in northern New England (where the golf
season finally came to an end today with snow and freezing rain.)

A guy who lived in Maine for 35 years said something to his native born
buddy about being a Mainer. His buddy told him "You ain't no Mainer.
You're from away."

The guy says, "Well, maybe I'm not a Mainer but my kids were born here
so they're Mainers."

The Mainer says, "If your cat had kittens in the oven, would you call
them biscuits?"

John Reddy

Jan 14, 2007, 11:07:17 AM1/14/07
In article <rkdkq2t830no3c8db...@4ax.com>,

John van der Pflum <nowhammy...@bite.org> wrote:

> >>If you think he wasn't, read it a third time.
> >
> >Comprehension challenged I see.
>
> I guess you'll have to put me in that category, too.

Me three.

Bobby Knight

Jan 14, 2007, 11:27:33 AM1/14/07

>> "Never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he's not, you will embarrass
>> him.....

It's embarrassing not to be a Texan.

(Not my thought though).

Chris Bellomy