Is it PC to make fun of Texans?

1 view
Skip to first unread message

Dene

unread,
Jan 12, 2007, 5:45:12 PM1/12/07
to
The joke goes;
An East Texas country boy sees a sign in the restaurant reading,
"Happy Hour Special: Lobster Tail & Beer."

"Lord almighty!" he says to himself, "My three favorite things".

Is this kind of humour acceptable?
1. No way - it's not politically correct
2. Not sure - I didn't understand the original joke
3. Hell yes - if it weren't for Texans, who'd we make fun of?
4. Where's Texas?

Finally....how about them Seahawks!!!!

-Greg

greenkeeper

unread,
Jan 12, 2007, 6:20:39 PM1/12/07
to
In message <1168641912.3...@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, Dene
<gds...@aol.com> writes
Hey the same as me, but I am not Texan!!
1) Why not?
2) Really?
3) Scots, English, Irish, good grief the list is endless!!
4) Somewhere in the Northern Hemisphere (I think).
Do they not eat all the trout and salmon?

Don't they play Fitba in Texas?
http://www.pbase.com/alancampbell/image/72854864/medium

And host Majors?
http://www.pbase.com/alancampbell/image/72854689
--
alan

Head Shot

unread,
Jan 12, 2007, 6:46:43 PM1/12/07
to
Dene wrote:
> 4. Where's Texas?

A day and a half east of gun-grabbing California.

> Finally....how about them Seahawks!!!!

What are those? Do they taste like chicken?

Dene

unread,
Jan 13, 2007, 12:14:47 AM1/13/07
to

Head Shot wrote:

>
> > Finally....how about them Seahawks!!!!
>
> What are those? Do they taste like chicken?

I suspect it tastes better than Falcons. ;>

-Greg

Head Shot

unread,
Jan 13, 2007, 1:13:35 AM1/13/07
to

In 2006; anything short of feces tastes better than the Dirty Birds. Come
to think of it; feces might be higher on the football chain....


Chris Bellomy

unread,
Jan 13, 2007, 1:56:35 AM1/13/07
to
Dene <gds...@aol.com> wrote:
: The joke goes;

: An East Texas country boy sees a sign in the restaurant reading,
: "Happy Hour Special: Lobster Tail & Beer."
:
: "Lord almighty!" he says to himself, "My three favorite things".
:
: Is this kind of humour acceptable?

It's fine by me. I think I can take it. Especially as that's *exactly* how
I would react to that sign. :)

--
Chris Bellomy
C-List Charter Member
http://clist.org/

John Reddy

unread,
Jan 13, 2007, 9:33:58 AM1/13/07
to
In article <1168641912.3...@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"Dene" <gds...@aol.com> wrote:

I'll take Door Number 3, thanks.

I think it was Mark Twain who said:

"Never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he's not, you will embarrass
him. If he is, he'll let you know soon enough."

Chris Bellomy

unread,
Jan 13, 2007, 11:30:20 AM1/13/07
to
John Reddy <john...@contbuilding.com> wrote:
: In article <1168641912.3...@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,

I think I'll remind the class that the late Byron Nelson was a
Texan born and bred.

Nyah. :)

Dene

unread,
Jan 13, 2007, 11:54:03 AM1/13/07
to

Chris Bellomy wrote:
> Dene <gds...@aol.com> wrote:
> : The joke goes;
> : An East Texas country boy sees a sign in the restaurant reading,
> : "Happy Hour Special: Lobster Tail & Beer."
> :
> : "Lord almighty!" he says to himself, "My three favorite things".
> :
> : Is this kind of humour acceptable?
>
> It's fine by me. I think I can take it. Especially as that's *exactly* how
> I would react to that sign. :)


I'm impressed that you got the joke, whereas I admit...I had to read it
a couple of times.

-Greg

Mike Dalecki

unread,
Jan 13, 2007, 11:55:31 AM1/13/07
to

Well, that's one.

--
Mike Dalecki GCA Accredited Clubmaker http://clubdoctor.com
RSG-Wisconsin 2006 Report http://dalecki.net/rsgwis2006/pics/
RSG-Wisconsin 2007: June 22-24----Lawsonia!

Bobby Knight

unread,
Jan 13, 2007, 11:59:50 AM1/13/07
to
On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 14:33:58 GMT, John Reddy
<john...@contbuilding.com> wrote:

>
>> Is this kind of humour acceptable?
>> 1. No way - it's not politically correct
>> 2. Not sure - I didn't understand the original joke
>> 3. Hell yes - if it weren't for Texans, who'd we make fun of?
>> 4. Where's Texas?

>I'll take Door Number 3, thanks.


>
>I think it was Mark Twain who said:
>
>"Never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he's not, you will embarrass
>him. If he is, he'll let you know soon enough."

If you think that Twain was making fun of Texans, read it again.
--
___,
\o
|
/ \
.
"Someone likes every shot"!
bk

Dene

unread,
Jan 13, 2007, 12:01:11 PM1/13/07
to

Chris Bellomy wrote:
> I think I'll remind the class that the late Byron Nelson was a
> Texan born and bred.
>
> Nyah. :)

May I remind the class that the Cowboys are playing golf this Sunday.

Nyah! ;>

-Greg

Head Shot

unread,
Jan 13, 2007, 12:35:40 PM1/13/07
to
Chris Bellomy wrote:
> I think I'll remind the class that the late Byron Nelson was a
> Texan born and bred.

Isn't Bushtard a Texan? That has to counteract anything good Nelson ever
did.


Chris Bellomy

unread,
Jan 13, 2007, 12:35:15 PM1/13/07
to
Dene <gds...@aol.com> wrote:
:

Oh, I immediately figured out where it was going. I'm tellin' ya,
that really is how a lot of Texans think. Anytime we see a bar
that has a "Dancing" sign next to a "Beer" sign, we immediately
conjure dancing beer. It's something in our water, I guess.

Chris Bellomy

unread,
Jan 13, 2007, 12:38:01 PM1/13/07
to
Dene <gds...@aol.com> wrote:
:

May I remind the class that the Dallas Cowboys ceased to exist in
February 1989.

(I'm always glad to see Jerry lose, dude.)

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS

unread,
Jan 13, 2007, 12:48:52 PM1/13/07
to

Texas is the Loon Star State and the only state to give us a president
who is a convicted drug criminal and a first lady who committed
vehicular manslaughter if not murder and then bought her way out of
prosecution. The state should be nuked.

Bobby Knight

unread,
Jan 13, 2007, 12:49:01 PM1/13/07
to

Bzzzzt. He was born in New Haven, Connecticut.

MoiMoi

unread,
Jan 13, 2007, 1:30:54 PM1/13/07
to
In article <0T3pdps...@redshark.goodshow.net>,
pu...@tbbqfubj.arg.invalid says...

> .... Anytime we see a bar


> that has a "Dancing" sign next to a "Beer" sign,

Saw a little sign, said "Eat Gas Now"

MM

Chris Bellomy

unread,
Jan 13, 2007, 1:32:03 PM1/13/07
to
Head Shot <Head...@thepinkmist.com> wrote:

: Chris Bellomy wrote:
:> I think I'll remind the class that the late Byron Nelson was a
:> Texan born and bred.
:
: Isn't Bushtard a Texan?

Connecticut.

greenkeeper

unread,
Jan 13, 2007, 1:49:12 PM1/13/07
to
In message <MPG.2012ef65b...@news.individual.net>, MoiMoi
<moi...@example.com> writes


Like the Bucees sign;
"eat here get gas"!!!

http://www.pbase.com/alancampbell/image/65212741/medium
--
alan

Head Shot

unread,
Jan 13, 2007, 2:20:16 PM1/13/07
to
Chris Bellomy wrote:
> Head Shot <Head...@thepinkmist.com> wrote:
>> Chris Bellomy wrote:
>>> I think I'll remind the class that the late Byron Nelson was a
>>> Texan born and bred.
>>
>> Isn't Bushtard a Texan?
>
> Connecticut.

He was born in Connecticut but grew up in Midland and Houston Texas. If he
was born in an airplane would you say he was from Delta Airlines?

Bobby Knight

unread,
Jan 13, 2007, 2:26:53 PM1/13/07
to

That's plain :-) silly.
If you ain't born in Texas, you ain't a Texan. I know, I'm from
Louisiana and have that pointed out to me by Texan friends.

Chris Bellomy

unread,
Jan 13, 2007, 3:20:26 PM1/13/07
to
Head Shot <Head...@thepinkmist.com> wrote:
: Chris Bellomy wrote:

Whatever it takes to disown his ass, dude.

Head Shot

unread,
Jan 13, 2007, 4:53:41 PM1/13/07
to
Chris Bellomy wrote:
> Head Shot <Head...@thepinkmist.com> wrote:
>> Chris Bellomy wrote:
>>> Head Shot <Head...@thepinkmist.com> wrote:
>>>> Chris Bellomy wrote:
>>>>> I think I'll remind the class that the late Byron Nelson was a
>>>>> Texan born and bred.
>>>>
>>>> Isn't Bushtard a Texan?
>>>
>>> Connecticut.
>>
>> He was born in Connecticut but grew up in Midland and Houston Texas.
>> If he was born in an airplane would you say he was from Delta
>> Airlines?
>
> Whatever it takes to disown his ass, dude.


Having spent part of my childhood in CT and none of it in TX; I want no
ownership of Blowhound Bushtard and his love affair with Johnny Walker.


Bobby Knight

unread,
Jan 13, 2007, 5:03:50 PM1/13/07
to

Sorry, but that's what his birth certificate will read; born in New
Haven Connecticut. Texas was the adopted state...and for good reason.
:-)

Howard Brazee

unread,
Jan 13, 2007, 5:30:54 PM1/13/07
to
On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 19:26:53 GMT, Bobby Knight <bkn...@conramp.net>
wrote:

>That's plain :-) silly.
>If you ain't born in Texas, you ain't a Texan. I know, I'm from
>Louisiana and have that pointed out to me by Texan friends.

Sam Houston and Davy Crockett are on line 2.

Bobby Knight

unread,
Jan 13, 2007, 6:17:48 PM1/13/07
to
On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 22:30:54 GMT, Howard Brazee <how...@brazee.net>
wrote:

Tell them to call back. Houston was a Virginian, Crockett was from
Tennessee. They weren't Texans.

Incidentally, both were in Texas in the 1830s, and it didn't even
become a state until 1845.

Joe User

unread,
Jan 14, 2007, 7:28:55 AM1/14/07
to

If you think he wasn't, read it a third time.

Bobby Knight

unread,
Jan 14, 2007, 7:50:07 AM1/14/07
to
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 12:28:55 GMT, Joe User <ju...@yourhouse.com>
wrote:

Comprehension challenged I see.

John van der Pflum

unread,
Jan 14, 2007, 8:57:01 AM1/14/07
to
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 12:50:07 GMT, Bobby Knight <bkn...@conramp.net>
wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 12:28:55 GMT, Joe User <ju...@yourhouse.com>

I guess you'll have to put me in that category, too.
--

jvdp
http://www.rsgcincinnati.com

BigPurdueFan

unread,
Jan 14, 2007, 9:35:01 AM1/14/07
to

It seems like he's saying Texans and loud and proud. Where that is
"making fun of them" is up to interpretation.

BigPurdueFan

unread,
Jan 14, 2007, 9:36:22 AM1/14/07
to

Nice try, but it seems like everyone in the world thinks of him as a
Texan.

BigPurdueFan

unread,
Jan 14, 2007, 9:40:51 AM1/14/07
to

Carol Burnett. Babe Didrikson Zaharias. Roger Staubach. Gene
Roddenberry. Jayne Mansfield.

There are tons of a great Texans. It's a great state....almost as great
as Texans think it is!

Miss Anne Thrope

unread,
Jan 14, 2007, 9:52:41 AM1/14/07
to
Still waiting for the "humour" part.

John Reddy

unread,
Jan 14, 2007, 11:05:02 AM1/14/07
to
In article <8gciq2lguginpuk9b...@4ax.com>,
Bobby Knight <bkn...@conramp.net> wrote:

> That's plain :-) silly.
> If you ain't born in Texas, you ain't a Texan. I know, I'm from
> Louisiana and have that pointed out to me by Texan friends.

Works the same way up here in northern New England (where the golf
season finally came to an end today with snow and freezing rain.)

A guy who lived in Maine for 35 years said something to his native born
buddy about being a Mainer. His buddy told him "You ain't no Mainer.
You're from away."

The guy says, "Well, maybe I'm not a Mainer but my kids were born here
so they're Mainers."

The Mainer says, "If your cat had kittens in the oven, would you call
them biscuits?"

John Reddy

unread,
Jan 14, 2007, 11:07:17 AM1/14/07
to
In article <rkdkq2t830no3c8db...@4ax.com>,

John van der Pflum <nowhammy...@bite.org> wrote:

> >>> If you think that Twain was making fun of Texans, read it again.
> >>
> >>If you think he wasn't, read it a third time.
> >
> >Comprehension challenged I see.
>
> I guess you'll have to put me in that category, too.

Me three.

Bobby Knight

unread,
Jan 14, 2007, 11:27:33 AM1/14/07
to

>> "Never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he's not, you will embarrass
>> him.....

It's embarrassing not to be a Texan.

(Not my thought though).

Chris Bellomy

unread,
Jan 14, 2007, 11:41:05 AM1/14/07
to
BigPurdueFan <bigp...@aol.com> wrote:
:
: Mike Dalecki wrote:
:> Chris Bellomy wrote:
:> > John Reddy <john...@contbuilding.com> wrote:
:> > : In article <1168641912.3...@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
:> > : "Dene" <gds...@aol.com> wrote:
:> > :
:> > :> The joke goes;
:> > :> An East Texas country boy sees a sign in the restaurant reading,
:> > :> "Happy Hour Special: Lobster Tail & Beer."
:> > :>
:> > :> "Lord almighty!" he says to himself, "My three favorite things".
:> > :>
:> > :> Is this kind of humour acceptable?
:> > :> 1. No way - it's not politically correct
:> > :> 2. Not sure - I didn't understand the original joke
:> > :> 3. Hell yes - if it weren't for Texans, who'd we make fun of?
:> > :> 4. Where's Texas?
:> > :>
:> > :> Finally....how about them Seahawks!!!!
:> > :>
:> > :> -Greg
:> > :
:> > : I'll take Door Number 3, thanks.
:> > :
:> > : I think it was Mark Twain who said:
:> > :
:> > : "Never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he's not, you will embarrass
:> > : him. If he is, he'll let you know soon enough."
:> >
:> > I think I'll remind the class that the late Byron Nelson was a
:> > Texan born and bred.
:> >
:> > Nyah. :)
:> >
:>
:> Well, that's one.
:
: Carol Burnett. Babe Didrikson Zaharias. Roger Staubach.

Don't tell Pflum, but Staubach is from Cincinnati.

Chris Bellomy

unread,
Jan 14, 2007, 11:43:15 AM1/14/07
to
BigPurdueFan <bigp...@aol.com> wrote:
:
: Chris Bellomy wrote:
:> Head Shot <Head...@thepinkmist.com> wrote:
:> : Chris Bellomy wrote:
:> :> Head Shot <Head...@thepinkmist.com> wrote:
:> :>> Chris Bellomy wrote:
:> :>>> I think I'll remind the class that the late Byron Nelson was a
:> :>>> Texan born and bred.
:> :>>
:> :>> Isn't Bushtard a Texan?
:> :>
:> :> Connecticut.
:> :
:> : He was born in Connecticut but grew up in Midland and Houston Texas. If he
:> : was born in an airplane would you say he was from Delta Airlines?
:>
:> Whatever it takes to disown his ass, dude.
:
: Nice try, but it seems like everyone in the world thinks of him as a
: Texan.

That's because you hear that fake Elvis/John Wayne accent he
puts on and think that's a Texas twang. It's not even close.

Find some old audio of LBJ. Or Ann Richards. Or, hell, some
current audio of Rick Perry. Now *that* is a Texas twang.

Head Shot

unread,
Jan 14, 2007, 1:51:43 PM1/14/07
to
BigPurdueFan wrote:
> Nice try, but it seems like everyone in the world thinks of him as a
> Texan.

God bless that world! The other 49 States thank him for not being from
there.


John Reddy

unread,
Jan 14, 2007, 9:53:44 PM1/14/07
to
In article <qamkq2l76kii8830v...@4ax.com>,
Bobby Knight <bkn...@conramp.net> wrote:

> >> "Never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he's not, you will embarrass
> >> him.....
>
> It's embarrassing not to be a Texan.
>
> (Not my thought though).

Just as well it's not your thought because that's some pretty twisted
logic. You don't want to claim it for you own.

Bobby Knight

unread,
Jan 14, 2007, 10:00:10 PM1/14/07
to

It's Mark Twain's logic.

bill-o

unread,
Jan 14, 2007, 10:52:56 PM1/14/07
to

On 14-Jan-2007, Bobby Knight <bkn...@conramp.net> wrote:

> >> "Never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he's not, you will embarrass
> >> him.....
>
> It's embarrassing not to be a Texan.

Bzzzt, it is embrassing that someone would think you are a Texan!

--
bill-o

A "gimme" can best be defined as an agreement between
two golfers neither of whom can putt very well.

Bobby Knight

unread,
Jan 14, 2007, 11:04:20 PM1/14/07
to
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 03:52:56 GMT, "bill-o" <assim...@borg.org>
wrote:

>
>On 14-Jan-2007, Bobby Knight <bkn...@conramp.net> wrote:
>
>> >> "Never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he's not, you will embarrass
>> >> him.....
>>
>> It's embarrassing not to be a Texan.
>
>Bzzzt, it is embrassing that someone would think you are a Texan!

Only a Texan can say that with authority. Aren't you a citizen of
Oglethorpe's debtor colony? :-)


--
___,
\o
|
/ \
.

“Someone likes every shot”
bk

S McFarlane

unread,
Jan 15, 2007, 1:27:50 AM1/15/07
to

"Chris Bellomy" <pu...@tbbqfubj.arg.invalid> wrote in message
news:1T3pdmb...@redshark.goodshow.net...
>> :

> : I think it was Mark Twain who said:
> :
> : "Never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he's not, you will embarrass

> : him. If he is, he'll let you know soon enough."
>
> I think I'll remind the class that the late Byron Nelson was a
> Texan born and bred.
>
> Nyah. :)
>

Also some loser by the name of Hogan. Admittedly, a Hogan and a Nelson
don't add up to a ... wait, he wasn't from the Rain State.

Scott


S McFarlane

unread,
Jan 15, 2007, 1:33:29 AM1/15/07
to

"Chris Bellomy" <pu...@tbbqfubj.arg.invalid> wrote in message
news:1T3pdq7...@redshark.goodshow.net...
> Dene <gds...@aol.com> wrote:
> :
> : Chris Bellomy wrote:
> :> I think I'll remind the class that the late Byron Nelson was a

> :> Texan born and bred.
> :>
> :> Nyah. :)
> :
> : May I remind the class that the Cowboys are playing golf this Sunday.
>
> May I remind the class that the Dallas Cowboys ceased to exist in
> February 1989.
>

There's one after my own true heart. Landry's boys and the current offering
from Seattle on the same fantasy field? Wouldn't be fair. Down right
embarrassing. Course, that ain't fair. More appropriate would be piting
Landry & Co. against one of the classic Seattle teams from the past...

Scott


Head Shot

unread,
Jan 15, 2007, 1:35:33 AM1/15/07
to
S McFarlane wrote:
> "Chris Bellomy" <pu...@tbbqfubj.arg.invalid> wrote in message
> news:1T3pdmb...@redshark.goodshow.net...
>>>>
>>> I think it was Mark Twain who said:
>>>
>>> "Never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he's not, you will
>>> embarrass him. If he is, he'll let you know soon enough."
>>
>> I think I'll remind the class that the late Byron Nelson was a
>> Texan born and bred.
>>
>> Nyah. :)
>>
>
> Also some loser by the name of Hogan.

Hogan was cool. But I think Klink killed him for filming those porn movies.


S McFarlane

unread,
Jan 15, 2007, 1:35:58 AM1/15/07
to

"Head Shot" <Head...@ThePinkMist.com> wrote in message
news:bdaqh.226$bp4...@bignews4.bellsouth.net...

>
> He was born in Connecticut but grew up in Midland and Houston Texas. If
> he was born in an airplane would you say he was from Delta Airlines?
>

Depends on who he is and his character. As a native Texan, I can say
honestly that he appears to have more Conneticut in 'em.


Scott


Head Shot

unread,
Jan 15, 2007, 1:39:51 AM1/15/07
to
S McFarlane wrote:
> "Head Shot" <Head...@ThePinkMist.com> wrote in message
>> He was born in Connecticut but grew up in Midland and Houston Texas.
>> If he was born in an airplane would you say he was from Delta
>> Airlines?
>
> Depends on who he is and his character. As a native Texan, I can say
> honestly that he appears to have more Conneticut in 'em.

Texas should have a tenth of the class that Connecticut does. Texas is a
low class suburb of Mexico City, for chrissake. Certainly nothing worth
losing Davey Crockett over.


S McFarlane

unread,
Jan 15, 2007, 1:57:55 AM1/15/07
to

"Head Shot" <Head...@ThePinkMist.com> wrote in message
news:RkFqh.3422$Ln....@bignews8.bellsouth.net...

>
> Texas should have a tenth of the class that Connecticut does. Texas is a
> low class suburb of Mexico City, for chrissake. Certainly nothing worth
> losing Davey Crockett over.

I can honestly say that I wish a lot more Yankees felt that way. Not the
ones still up there, but particularly all the ones down here. :-)

A minor correction: Texas should have approximately 1 / 1,000th of the
class Connecticut has. As soon as they understand the error in their
immigrating ways and go back home, all will be well out on the range...

Scott


bill-o

unread,
Jan 15, 2007, 7:38:38 AM1/15/07
to

On 14-Jan-2007, Bobby Knight <bkn...@conramp.net> wrote:

> Only a Texan can say that with authority. Aren't you a citizen of
> Oglethorpe's debtor colony? :-)

Nope, I was born into the USAF (on a marine air station no less) and am a
w/o a state (unless confusion is a state!)

Bert Robbins

unread,
Jan 15, 2007, 7:46:33 AM1/15/07
to
bill-o wrote:
> On 14-Jan-2007, Bobby Knight <bkn...@conramp.net> wrote:
>
>> Only a Texan can say that with authority. Aren't you a citizen of
>> Oglethorpe's debtor colony? :-)
>
> Nope, I was born into the USAF (on a marine air station no less) and am a
> w/o a state (unless confusion is a state!)
>

Ok, I'll ask upon which air station were you born?

John van der Pflum

unread,
Jan 15, 2007, 8:17:47 AM1/15/07
to

I was going to point that out. He attended the same high school as my
dad but Dad is 6 years older than Roger.
--

jvdp
http://www.rsgcincinnati.com

bill-o

unread,
Jan 15, 2007, 7:16:55 PM1/15/07
to

On 15-Jan-2007, Bert Robbins <sc...@you.com> wrote:

> Ok, I'll ask upon which air station were you born?

Ever see "the Great Santini?"

Bert Robbins

unread,
Jan 15, 2007, 7:45:15 PM1/15/07
to
bill-o wrote:
> On 15-Jan-2007, Bert Robbins <sc...@you.com> wrote:
>
>> Ok, I'll ask upon which air station were you born?
>
> Ever see "the Great Santini?"
>

Yes. Were you born on the Rock?

Dene

unread,
Jan 15, 2007, 9:01:21 PM1/15/07
to

Miss Anne Thrope wrote:
> Still waiting for the "humour" part.

Just enjoy your beer and continue to wait for the other two.

-Greg

bill-o

unread,
Jan 16, 2007, 1:14:41 AM1/16/07
to

On 15-Jan-2007, Bert Robbins <sc...@you.com> wrote:

> Yes. Were you born on the Rock?

Cherry Point NC, 1960 (like the opening sub-title)

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages