Persimmon woods ... where have they gone?

Brian Anderson

Aug 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/13/97

>On Sat, 09 Aug 1997 17:03:47 GMT, nos...@circa.com wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know the difference between Callaway's RCH60, RCH90 and
>>RCH96 shafts ? I understand that they have moved weight to the club
>>head by making the shafts thinner and lighter. How has this effected
>>torque and consistency ?
>>
>>Is the RCH60 an inferior shaft ?
>>

>>TIA
>>
>>Tim
>>t...@circa.com
>The new rch96 also has an improved tip to hold up against breakage I
>believe

I don't think Persimmon woods have been made since early 90's. Last ones I
remember were in 1991 when Ram Golf made three different types of woods.
Metal with offset hosel, regular steel, and a set of persimmon. They said the
clubs were for the golfer who hits it far but not straight.

brian

Mark T. Melchior

Aug 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/13/97

I visited Golfsmith here in Austin a few days ago for the first time in at
least two years. They have a new, huge 30,000 sq. ft. showroom. But try
as I might, I couldn't find a single set of new, persimmon woods. They had
hundred's of Titanium "woods". The salesman said that nobody plays
persimmons anymore and that the manufacturers have stopped producing them.

I currently play Palmer "Peerless" persimmon woods. Are these no longer
made? Do any other manufacturers still make real "wooden" clubs? Before
the Peerless, I had a set of Cleveland Classics that were stolen. I love
my current woods as I did the Cleveland Classics.

I don't like the sound or feel of the metal clubs. And, since I hit my
drives 275-300 yards as it is, I don't need the distance these high-tech
clubs provide. Actually, I've gone to my 1-iron off the tee for better
control. And, I can't stand the graphite shafts that are on many of the
clubs today. I need to feel the weight of my steel shafts.

I am behind the times or what? (BTW, my current irons are Titleist tour
blades; my Wilson Staff blades were stolen along with the Cleveland
Classics) I get the feeling everyone is searching for maximum distance. I
sure hope that when I wear out my current persimmon clubs that others will
still be available.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
--
Mar...@flash.net

Lammes Candies Since 1885, Inc.
http://www.lammes.com

Steve C

Aug 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/13/97

>>I currently play Palmer "Peerless" persimmon woods. Are these no longer
made?<<

I wouldn't be surprised if no one made them. A year ago I had a graphite
placed in a 3 wood laminated head because the club maker hadn't seen a
persimmon head in 6 months.

I have a 22 year olg George Izett Persimmon driver that I had a new
insert poured into and refinished 10 years ago along with a graphite
shaft. When I hit the sweet spot it's like Reggie Jackson hitting a
homer; I don't have to look at where the ball goes.

I never do that more than once or twice a round. Maybe the sweet spot is
too small (g).
--
Tinnitus faq: http://www.cccd.edu/faq/tinnitus.html
hyperacusis:

brett

Aug 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/14/97

In article <01bca83d$d17c7fc0$aec2c2d0@melchior>, Mar...@Flash.net says...

>I visited Golfsmith here in Austin a few days ago for the first time in at
>least two years. They have a new, huge 30,000 sq. ft. showroom. But try
>as I might, I couldn't find a single set of new, persimmon woods. They had
>hundred's of Titanium "woods". The salesman said that nobody plays
>persimmons anymore and that the manufacturers have stopped producing them.
>
>I currently play Palmer "Peerless" persimmon woods. Are these no longer
>made? Do any other manufacturers still make real "wooden" clubs? Before
>the Peerless, I had a set of Cleveland Classics that were stolen. I love
>my current woods as I did the Cleveland Classics.
>
>I don't like the sound or feel of the metal clubs. And, since I hit my
>drives 275-300 yards as it is, I don't need the distance these high-tech
>clubs provide. Actually, I've gone to my 1-iron off the tee for better
>control. And, I can't stand the graphite shafts that are on many of the
>clubs today. I need to feel the weight of my steel shafts.
>
>I am behind the times or what? (BTW, my current irons are Titleist tour
>blades; my Wilson Staff blades were stolen along with the Cleveland
>Classics) I get the feeling everyone is searching for maximum distance. I
>sure hope that when I wear out my current persimmon clubs that others will
>still be available.

hey i thougt i was the only persimmon fan left on the planet (as i say using
my current ti king cobra ;-) anyhow honma still produces persimmon woods i
believe as long as you don't mind paying out some serious $$. my local golf
shop also has quite a few cleveland classic persimmon woods. i'm not sure if
these are recent or NOS?? (though i'm undre the impression you can still get
them). i also saw macgregor has been producing some limited edition "replica"
stuff. hope this all is of use to you.

--
peace
brett

F. Blaine Dickson

Aug 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/14/97

>I visited Golfsmith here in Austin a few days ago for the first time in at
>least two years. They have a new, huge 30,000 sq. ft. showroom. But try
>as I might, I couldn't find a single set of new, persimmon woods. They had
>hundred's of Titanium "woods". The salesman said that nobody plays
>persimmons anymore and that the manufacturers have stopped producing them.

Not entirely true. Cleveland, Powerbilt, a company owned by Larry Nelson,
and the grandad of them all, Wood Brothers, still make persimmmon woods.
Many tour pros, although not hitting a wood driver, still play wood 3 and 4
woods including Tom Watson, Seve Ballesteros Jack Nicklaus, Tom Kite and
even Payne Stewart who has an old LAMINATED Wilson 4 wood.

>I am behind the times or what? (BTW, my current irons are Titleist tour
>blades; my Wilson Staff blades were stolen along with the Cleveland
>Classics) I get the feeling everyone is searching for maximum distance. I
>sure hope that when I wear out my current persimmon clubs that others will
>still be available.

I recently decided to purchase a metal driver. Even though I hit a wood
driver as far as a metal when I hit it good, I lose accuracy AND distance
when I don't hit it on the screws. However, I will always play a wood 3
wood because hitting an oversize metal 3 wood to me is like trying to hit
an old driver off the fairway. Furthermore, how do you get an oversize
metal wood through 3 inches of rough? You can't. The small head persimmon
slips nicely through the grass when the other hangs.

--
F. Blaine Dickson
Teaching Professional

"Five years ago corporate software giant Microsoft spent
millions of dollars and put a team of hundreds of highly specialized
programmers on an extensive and highly ambitious project to find another
name for the Apple Menu - Windows 95" - Tim Scoff

th...@lucent.com

Aug 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/14/97

bria...@omnifest.uwm.edu (Brian Anderson) writes:
> I don't think Persimmon woods have been made since early 90's. Last ones I
> remember were in 1991 when Ram Golf made three different types of woods.
> Metal with offset hosel, regular steel, and a set of persimmon. They said the
> clubs were for the golfer who hits it far but not straight.

Persimmon woods are definitely still made!

Golfworks in Newark Ohio makes them and has full sets, and can make them
to any lie/loft whatever you order. If you get near/to Newark it is a
GREAT experience to watch them make them - still a lot of hand
craftsmen doing the work.
http://www.golfworks.com

Wood Brothers makes them:
http://mfginfo.com/mfg/woodbros/

And Modern Classics Persimmon Woods:
webpage discontinued temporarily, contact
Stacy Sauer, ne...@gate.net

-- David "Thor" Collard
-- http://www.ttsoft.com/thor
-- th...@lucent.com

Aug 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/14/97

Ping Zing makes Persimmon woods i just bought a 3 wood for $120.00 brand
new they make drivers and 5 woods also.

Claude Deschenes

Aug 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/14/97

You can purchase persomons through golfsmith's clubmaker catalog.

Mark T. Melchior <Mar...@Flash.net> a écrit dans l'article
<01bca83d$d17c7fc0$aec2c2d0@melchior>...

> I visited Golfsmith here in Austin a few days ago for the first time in
at
> least two years. They have a new, huge 30,000 sq. ft. showroom. But try
> as I might, I couldn't find a single set of new, persimmon woods. They
had
> hundred's of Titanium "woods". The salesman said that nobody plays
> persimmons anymore and that the manufacturers have stopped producing
them.

> I currently play Palmer "Peerless" persimmon woods. Are these no longer
> made? Do any other manufacturers still make real "wooden" clubs? Before
> the Peerless, I had a set of Cleveland Classics that were stolen. I love
> my current woods as I did the Cleveland Classics.
>
> I don't like the sound or feel of the metal clubs. And, since I hit my
> drives 275-300 yards as it is, I don't need the distance these high-tech
> clubs provide. Actually, I've gone to my 1-iron off the tee for better
> control. And, I can't stand the graphite shafts that are on many of the
> clubs today. I need to feel the weight of my steel shafts.
>

> I am behind the times or what? (BTW, my current irons are Titleist tour
> blades; my Wilson Staff blades were stolen along with the Cleveland
> Classics) I get the feeling everyone is searching for maximum distance.
> sure hope that when I wear out my current persimmon clubs that others
will
> still be available.

mitc...@earthling.net

Aug 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/15/97

I replied to this privately, but... my Ben Crenshw [Cleveland Classic]
was purchased new not more than 2 seasons ago. It is quite serviceable,
and must've reasonably priced, considering the gift-giver.
--
http://www.geocities.com/MadisonAvenue/1488
Law Practice>> http://www.freeyellow.com/members/meskenazi/

John Luce

Aug 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/15/97

k wrote:

> Ping Zing makes Persimmon woods i just bought a 3 wood for $120.00 brand
> new they make drivers and 5 woods also.

While they are wood, the Zings and Eye 2s are made of laminated maple
and not persimmon.

I haven't seen the ISI wood-woods yet, so I'm not sure what they are
made of.

John...

--
Please remove "nospam" from reply address for e-mail...

"A Bad Day on the Golf Course is far better than a Good Day at Work"

JEC8686

Aug 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/15/97

My guess is that wooden clubs are going to disappear from mass market
within 5 years. Already, they are almost non-existent on the tour. The
club makers are not going to bother trying to sell clubs that few people
want. If they are sold at all, it will be by small niche companies. The
only ones you are going to see are the ones that golfers have had in their
bags for years.

I still have a number of my old persimmon clubs that I still get out of
the closet now and then. I find that they seem heavier now. I do not know
whether they just seem heavy after playing the lighter clubs or if
moisture has added weight to the head. I notice I have trouble getting any
height with them which is something I never had a problem with.

John

Sam R. Scafferi

Aug 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/16/97

F. Blaine Dickson <bdic...@AWINC.COM> wrote in article
<l03102800b0199d1ff311@[199.175.168.22]>...

> I recently decided to purchase a metal driver. Even though I hit a wood
> driver as far as a metal when I hit it good, I lose accuracy AND distance
> when I don't hit it on the screws. However, I will always play a wood 3
> wood because hitting an oversize metal 3 wood to me is like trying to hit
> an old driver off the fairway. Furthermore, how do you get an oversize
> metal wood through 3 inches of rough? You can't. The small head persimmon
> slips nicely through the grass when the other hangs.

Why would you be trying to hit an "oversize metal 3 wood" anyway? I have 3,5
and 7 metal woods in my bag; they are not the least bit oversized, and are
quite easy to hit, on the fairway or out of deep rough, especially the 5 and 7
(metal) woods.

BTW, they are TM B-Bubbles, the first generation.

---Sam srs...@ibm.net
...a thing of beauty is a joy forever.
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/7903

JoePete

Aug 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/17/97

as I might, I couldn't find a single set of new, persimmon woods. They
had
>hundred's of Titanium "woods". The salesman said that nobody plays
>persimmons anymore and that the manufacturers have stopped producing
them.

I'm surprised, I thought Golfsmith employed knowledgeable staff. Last
estimate I saw showed that about 3 to 4 percent of the "wood" market
actually belonged to real wood, and that percentage seems to be creeping
upward. Wood Bros. in Texas is one of the big names left in persimmon but
also check out Louisville Golf.

JEC8686

Aug 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/17/97

While I can appreciate the asthetics of genuine persimmon woods, the fact
that the last two holdouts on thePGA Tour have now gone to metal and
finished 1-2 in the PGA, it seems clear that metal heads are the future of
golf and wooden heads are going the way of wooden shafts.

John

Lawrence G. Leichtman, M.D.

Aug 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/18/97

In article <19970817025...@ladder02.news.aol.com>,
joe...@aol.com (JoePete) wrote:

I may be wrong her but wasn't the main reason that the companies changed
to metal in the first place was due to the corrosive effect on wood of the
newer golf balls? Persimmon isn't exactly a rare wood or expensive to buy
so price alone couldn't have been the case. In fact, if anything metal
woods seem to cost much more than the older wooden ones.

--
Lawrence G. Leichtman, M.D., FAAP, FACMG
Genetics and Disabilities Diagnostic Care Center

Peter Fogarty

Aug 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/22/97

John next time you watch a tournament try doing it with your eyes open.
As good a job as Justin Leonard did it was in spite of his driver. It
put him in a lot of trouble during the week and it was his wedges and
putter that kept him in the tournament. The switch to metal has not
solved the problem that Justin has with his driver.

Peter Fogarty.

F. Blaine Dickson

Aug 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/25/97

>Who said anything about him driving it well. The fact is that with no one
>on tour even using it (according to CBS announcers), persimmon has gone
>bye bye. If the pros aren't going to use it, people aren't going to buy it
>and manufacturers aren't going to make it. The same thing happened with
>wood tennis rackets.
>
>John

They are referring to drivers only. There are plenty of pros using
persimmon 3 and 4 woods.