Do plastic tubes for golf bag work?

El-Rod

Jul 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/29/97

Help! My golf clubs are always getting tangled in my bag somehow and
I'm constantly struggling to pull them out or jam them back in. Has
anyone used the plastic tubes inserted into a golf bag?
Do they work? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Eloy Rodriguez
el...@earthlink.net

Claude Deschenes

Jul 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/29/97

I am curently using plastic tubes but I will probably change for the ones
that are make from a kind of plastic net because they allow humidity to get
out of the clud easily. Yes they work well but there is two exeptions. 1st,
if you have oversized grips your clubs will be harder to enter in the
tubes.
2rd, if you have graphite shaft, the tubes will scratch the finish of the
shafts
and probably alter the graphite fibers in the future.

El-Rod <el...@earthlink.net> a écrit dans l'article
<33de1893....@news.earthlink.net>...

Joe O'Reilly

Jul 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/30/97
to El-Rod

El-Rod wrote:

> Help! My golf clubs are always getting tangled in my bag somehow and
> I'm constantly struggling to pull them out or jam them back in. Has
> anyone used the plastic tubes inserted into a golf bag?
> Do they work? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> Eloy Rodriguez
> el...@earthlink.net

as a caddy, i do not have fond memories of caddying for golfers with
"tubes" in their bags- i suggest getting a sturdier bag and limiting
the # of clubs you carry.

joe

Charlie Broussard x1525

Jul 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/30/97

Joe O'Reilly (golfo...@earthlink.net) wrote:

: El-Rod wrote:
: >
: > Help! My golf clubs are always getting tangled in my bag somehow and
: > I'm constantly struggling to pull them out or jam them back in. Has
: > anyone used the plastic tubes inserted into a golf bag?
: > Do they work? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

those tubes suck. they get all "tangled" too. also, when you're putting
a club into your back, you've got to search for an empty tube instead of
just tossing the club in there. i had the worst bag made. it was a
spalding with those tubes and those tubes connected to holes in the
top of the bag. needless to say, the tubes came loose from the holes
in the top of bag. i had to wiggle the bag around to get the tube lined
up with the hole again to put my club back in the bag. i finally had
to cut the side of the bag open so that i could get "inside" the bag
to remove the stupid tubes.

--
charlie
please post all responses. my email address on this post is incorrect

GOLF1999

Jul 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/31/97

As a caddy, we would boldly dispose of unsuspecting guest's tubes at a
rate of 1 per hole. (Brazen? Yes. I know of a course where the caddies
remove your clubs and 3 spare balls from your bag and place them into
small, white canvas bag. They do allow YOU to carry as many balls and
tees on your person as you wish.)

Maybe a bag with several internal dividers would keep the shafts from
tangling up

mike.schnierle Mike Schnierle

Jul 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/31/97

In article <33de1893....@news.earthlink.net>, el...@earthlink.net
says...

>Help! My golf clubs are always getting tangled in my bag somehow and
>I'm constantly struggling to pull them out or jam them back in. Has
>anyone used the plastic tubes inserted into a golf bag?
>Do they work? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

If the bag is large enough to accomodate the tubes, they will work. Before I
got a bag with full length dividers, I used the tubes. My grips seemed to last
much longer than others who did not use the tubes and whose bags lacked
full length dividers. My only advice is to look for the small plastic links that
can be used to hold the tubes together. These are usually found near the
tubes in the golf shop. I found that it helps to link groups of tubes together
in the bag. That way, a tube is less likely to pull out when you remove the
club. Hope this helps.

Mike Schnierle

Debraski

Jul 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/31/97

I bought the plastic tubes from KMart and found that it took me about 30
min to try and arrange them in the bag correctly (using the tube joiners
that you have to buy seperately). It worked great for about 2 holes, then
the tubes started sliding up, the grips would pull up not only the tube it
was in, but then the next 32 that were "attached" to it. After a round of
golf I tore them all out in frustration. If you want them, just write me
and I'll send you 14 slightly bent tubes at no charge!

I did buy anew bag with 6 "sections" instaed of the 3 that I initially
had. I have found that this works about ten times better, so if you only
have 3 sections, i would suggest getting something that can divide them
into 6 sections instead.

Paul

Richard Barnes

Jul 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/31/97

mike.schnierle Mike Schnierle wrote:

> In article <33de1893....@news.earthlink.net>, el...@earthlink.net
> says...
> >
> >Help! My golf clubs are always getting tangled in my bag somehow and
> >I'm constantly struggling to pull them out or jam them back in. Has
> >anyone used the plastic tubes inserted into a golf bag?
> >Do they work? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

the tubes do pop up once in a while, but they do make life
easier. makes it very easy to count your clubs if you worry
about losing them like i do...

Greg Laskowski

Jul 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/31/97

I used a Wilson tube bag for years with only two problems. One tube
became loose and I had to be careful when I pulled the club (had
oversized grips) and, the reason I got rid of the bag, the tubes rubbed
against my graphite shafts.

I see folks spend minutes looking for the club they just used on the
last hole. What section is it in??? Shake, rattle, & roll!!! While
others are trying to hit. (Any chance they'd do that on purpose?
NAH!!!)

I now have a Taylor Made bag with the putter compartment and five areas
for clubs. If I could find a bag that used tubes that did not mar my
graphite shafts I'd switch in a NY minute.

I hate the way the grips of the clubs become entangled even with 5
compartments. Select one club; get many. Not to mention the damage to
the grips!!

To each there is a season......

Greg

Craig Luke

Aug 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/1/97

I use loose tubes, always have, no problems,
love 'em. Many of them are stuffed with varying
amounts of newspaper and duct taped at the end so certain
groups of clubs (like the wedges, or the short irons)
stick out at different levels. Makes em easy to find.
I found a big fat one for the over-sized grip on my
putter. If a tube starts to ride out with the club
I just grab and hold it with my free hand.

Not that tubes matter very much in the overall scheme
of golf....we're wallowing in minutia.

Andy LaCombe

Aug 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/1/97

GOLF1999 wrote:

> As a caddy, we would boldly dispose of unsuspecting guest's tubes at a
> rate of 1 per hole. (Brazen? Yes. I know of a course where the caddies
> remove your clubs and 3 spare balls from your bag and place them into
> small, white canvas bag. They do allow YOU to carry as many balls and
> tees on your person as you wish.)

They'd be looking for a REALLY big tip too...

| Andy LaCombe | andy.!lacom!b...@sdrc.com |
| Staff Technologist | Fon: (513)576-2039 |
| Structural DESIGN Revenue Corporation | Fax: (513)576-2135 |

h9...@webtv.net

Aug 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/1/97

Eloy,Eloy,Eloy. In answer to your question I'll bet they will work. Now
ask yourself one more question,HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A GOOD PLAYER WITH A
BAG FULL OF PLASTIC TUBES??? You gotta be shitin' me. You need to make
sure you wear your helmut when you leave the house.

Brian Anderson

Aug 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/1/97

Steve Stricker used plastic tubes until this year. He was playing at a course
that I play some times, and he was paired with me and two of my friends. His
bag had tubes.

brian

Claude Deschenes

Aug 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/2/97

h9...@webtv.net a écrit dans l'article
<5rtum5$3d7$1...@newsd-113.bryant.webtv.net>...

> Eloy,Eloy,Eloy. In answer to your question I'll bet they will work. Now
> ask yourself one more question,HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A GOOD PLAYER WITH A
> BAG FULL OF PLASTIC TUBES??? You gotta be shitin' me. You need to make
> sure you wear your helmut when you leave the house.

When I will be a pro you will see one!!

the guy who use plastic tubes.

John Bumbalough

Aug 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/2/97

Plastic tubes do keep the shafts separated, but are a badge of the
beginner. Rather untidy looking, also, don't you think?

In <5rt399$5...@nfs0.sdrc.com> Andy LaCombe

"R&B"

Aug 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/3/97
to El-Rod

El-Rod wrote:

> Help! My golf clubs are always getting
> tangled in my bag somehow and I'm constantly
> struggling to pull them out or jam them back in.
> Has anyone used the plastic tubes inserted into a golf bag?
> Do they work? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Useless. You'll fight with 'em every time you go to pull out a club.

Buy a bag in which the dividers go all the way to the bottom. Problem
solved.

Randy

jaclark

Aug 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/4/97

In article <33DF55...@earthlink.net>,

Joe O'Reilly <golfo...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>El-Rod wrote:
>>
>> Help! My golf clubs are always getting tangled in my bag somehow and
>> I'm constantly struggling to pull them out or jam them back in. Has
>> anyone used the plastic tubes inserted into a golf bag?
>> Do they work? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
>>
>> Eloy Rodriguez
>> el...@earthlink.net

I have a 3 section bag and I use the tubes in it. They work very well and stay
easily arranged. I don't know why so many of the other responders have so much
trouble. My only problem is sometimes the tube wants to come out with the club.
Fortunately, I have two hands so it's not hard to grab the top of the tube as it
rides up. In fact, I leave it sticking up a bit until I'm ready to put the club
back in - this makes putting the club in even easier. The best part is I don't
have to hunt for the right club in the bag; I know what order they're in and can
just grab the right one very easily. But I will warn you to check the size of
the tube versus your grips. The tubes come in two diameters, and I use large
grips, which won't fit in the smaller tubes.

Trevor Critch

Aug 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/5/97

> > >Help! My golf clubs are always getting tangled in my bag somehow and
> > >I'm constantly struggling to pull them out or jam them back in. Has
> > >anyone used the plastic tubes inserted into a golf bag?
> > >Do they work? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

If you have graphite shafts DON'T USE TUBES. They will ruin the finish
on the shaft. It takes the paint right off. I have 2 bags. One is a
small carry bag and the other is a 10" diameter staff bag. I find that
the small bag does tangle the clubs. But this doesn't happen with the
larger bag.

Regards
Trevor Critch

Steve H Ridd

Aug 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/8/97

>>Help! My golf clubs are always getting tangled in my bag somehow and
>>I'm constantly struggling to pull them out or jam them back in. Has
>>anyone used the plastic tubes inserted into a golf bag?
>>Do they work? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Absolutely NOT!!!
Waste of time......

SteveR

Rob Witherspoon

Aug 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/8/97

A pro once told me that using plastic tubes will pit steel shafts. I use
a divided bag (IZZO) and it works fine.

Robbie

Lord Whorfin

Aug 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/9/97

I disagree. I use them to separate my irons and it works fine. The
woods and the putter fit in one section of the bag, and are easy to
find/remove without tubes. If you don't wish to buy a new bag or one of
those "caps" with the holes that fits in the top of the bag, tubes might
be the way to go.

Barry lect...@dimensional.com
I keep on speaking of the unattainable earth.

stymie

Aug 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/10/97

Hey, until I changed to graphite shafts I used tubes and I'm a 6 handicap!!

Wanna fight

Hory Aycardo <cool...@skyinet.net> wrote in article
<01bca378$4dbf0aa0$9104...@Skyinet.skyinet.net>...
> Plastic tubes without some cloth lining on the lip will leave permanent
> marks on your graphite shafts. Either tape the lips of those tubes or
wrap
> some tape around the shaft where you think the shaft will be level with
the
> lip of the tube. I know, I used to have tubes, now I don't.
>
> Brian Anderson <bria...@omnifest.uwm.edu> wrote in article
> <5ru8jf$f...@omnifest.uwm.edu>...

> > >Eloy,Eloy,Eloy. In answer to your question I'll bet they will work.
Now
> > >ask yourself one more question,HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A GOOD PLAYER WITH
> > >BAG FULL OF PLASTIC TUBES??? You gotta be shitin' me. You need to
make
> > >sure you wear your helmut when you leave the house.

Joe Cartpath

Aug 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/13/97

Perry Lou <perr...@rss.rockwell.com> wrote in article
<33F1CAF6...@rss.rockwell.com>...

> >Help! My golf clubs are always getting tangled in my bag somehow and
> >I'm constantly struggling to pull them out or jam them back in. Has
> >anyone used the plastic tubes inserted into a golf bag?
> >Do they work? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
>

> They fix the problem of grips getting tangled and introduce problems
> of their own! Your clubs slide in and out easily enough, but
> sometimes bring the tubes up with 'em. This easily happens from
> friction between grip and tube, or if the tube gets pulled up slightly,
> allowing the grip to catch the bottom edge of the tube.
>
> I solved this by sealing the bottoms of the tubes with plastic bottle
> caps to keep the clubs from falling through, and then duct-taping
> groups of tubes together to keep them from getting pulled out.
>
> One other side-effect of the tubes is that since your clubs are now
> nicely separated, the heads tend to swing back & forth as you walk,
> clanging against their neighbors in time with your stride 8-/.
>
> Ok, ok- here's an advantage: my putter had always tried to burrow down
> into the bag because of its short shaft. I put some folded cardboard
> into the bottom of it's tube and now it sits up nicely with the other
> clubs, ready to be grabbed.
>
> ~~
> Perry Lou
> pw...@cts.com

How much does your bag weigh now???????

Brian Anderson

Aug 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/13/97

Tubes don't weigh that much, I worked in a sporting goods store at one time
and we got shipment of tubes in boxes of 50 and the total weight was like 20
lbs.

brian

Perry Lou

Aug 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/13/97

Perry Lou

Aug 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/14/97

Joe Cartpath wrote:

> Perry Lou <perr...@rss.rockwell.com> wrote in article

> > I solved this by sealing the bottoms of the tubes with plastic bottle
> > caps to keep the clubs from falling through, and then duct-taping
> > groups of tubes together to keep them from getting pulled out.

> How much does your bag weigh now???????

'depends on how I'm shootin' that day, of course!

~~
Perry Lou
pw...@cts.com

GBecker333

Aug 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/14/97

Plastic tubes work just great if you're purpose is to look like a
complete jerkoff. Remember to get an extra wide one for your
ball retriever.

d...@pegasus.att.com

Aug 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/16/97

In article <01bca378$4dbf0aa0$9104...@Skyinet.skyinet.net>,

Hory Aycardo <cool...@skyinet.net> wrote:
>Plastic tubes without some cloth lining on the lip will leave permanent
>marks on your graphite shafts.

Absolutely right!

>Either tape the lips of those tubes or wrap
>some tape around the shaft where you think the shaft will be level with the
>lip of the tube. I know, I used to have tubes, now I don't.

Alternative solution:
I used to have graphite shafts, now I don't.

Cheers!
Dave

AJ Murray

Aug 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/19/97
to jaclark

> In article <33DF55...@earthlink.net>,
> Joe O'Reilly <golfo...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >El-Rod wrote:
> >>
> >> Help! My golf clubs are always getting tangled in my bag somehow and
> >> I'm constantly struggling to pull them out or jam them back in. Has
> >> anyone used the plastic tubes inserted into a golf bag?
> >> Do they work? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
> >>
> >> Eloy Rodriguez
> >> el...@earthlink.net

I've been using tubes for a long time now. They work very well because
I can keep them sorted and they don't get tangled up. I also use
tube-connectors which keeps them in groups of four, so they don't slide
around. Caution: graphite shafts will not like tubes, they will wear
off very quickly on the edges of the plastic. I found this out the hard
way and had to replace 6 club shafts when the heads kept falling off.
Also, head covers for woods do not fit into the tubes, so some clubs
will not go all the way down.

Hope this helps!

AJ Murray
ajmu...@teleport.com