The Great Apes Are Endangered - But Not From Disease

AntiNigg

May 5, 2004, 7:39:53 PM5/5/04
http://news.yahoo.com/fc?tmpl=fc&cid=34&in=science&cat=endangered_and_threatened_species

LONDON (Reuters) - Mankind's closest animal relatives the Great Apes are
facing extinction and need urgent action to ensure their survival, Kenyan
environmentalist Richard Leakey said Wednesday.

"We are looking at a number of species that are certainly our closest
relatives and are deeply threatened," he told reporters. "Crisis is an
appropriate word."

Leakey said the combined threat from human population expansion, poaching
for bushmeat and uncontrolled logging was such that gorillas, chimpanzees,
bonobos and orang-utans should even have large tracts of land fenced off for
their safety.

Experience in Kenya, where Leakey was head of the Wildlife Service from 1989
to 1994, showed that fencing an area dramatically reduced the population
pressure and poaching.

Leakey also expressed concern over the future of professional sporting teams
in America.

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=3553

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=3556

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=3557