NFL Fans Upset After Playoff Game Gets Paywalled

Ubiquitous

Jan 11, 2024, 7:31:36 AMJan 11
NFL fans took to social media and made it clear they do not think it’s right
that an AFC wild-card game between the Kansas City Chiefs and the Miami
Dolphins has been paywalled on the Peacock network, a first in playoff
history.

Both the league and the network have been slammed after making Saturday’s
game only available to Peacock subscribers, forcing fans to sign up to watch,
Sports Illustrated reported.

NFL reporter Ari Meirov pointed out that the league and network are making a
lot of money by making the game exclusive to Peacock subscribers.

Fans rightfully crush NFL and NBC for putting AFC playoff game
exclusively on Peacock https://t.co/yDzrVBQUc7

— Sports Illustrated (@SInow) January 8, 2024

“Peacock is paying in the range of $110M to exclusively carry a playoff
game,” Meirov wrote in a post on X. “The game they are getting is a Chiefs /
Patrick Mahomes game. FWIW: My comment section is not happy.”

Many of the comments pointed out that, while it’s not unheard of for fans to
pay to see their teams play during the regular season due to regional
broadcast rights, fans have never had to pay extra money to see an NFL
playoff game.

“An absolute joke that a full NFL playoff game is exclusively on [Peacock],”
one person wrote. “Steaming services are ruining sports broadcasts.”

Another added, “Probably just me but I think the NFL having a playoff game
exclusively on Peacock is disgraceful. It’s never about the fans and always
about the money. I hope it gets the lowest rating of any playoff game.”

New York sports radio host Mike Francesa called the NFL “greedy” for the
move, TMZ noted.

“The NFL, which has the biggest, the best, and the most loyal fanbase
anywhere, decides to basically thumb its nose at its fanbase and just make
another greedy reach for another bundle of money, like they need it.”

Chiefs defensive end Charles Omenihu slammed the move as “insane” and offered
a way for fans to see the game for free.

“Alright Chiefs Kingdom, I saw the comments and want y’all to be able to
watch us play…So, I’m giving away 90 3-month Peacock memberships!” he wrote
on social media.

“To enter to win, reply to this tweet with why you should get picked,” he
added. “Picking winners Friday!”

Fans who live in the Kansas City or Miami television markets can view the
game on their local NBC affiliate. But fans outside those areas must pay
$5.99 for a monthly subscription to Peacock to watch, TMZ noted.

--
Let's go Brandon!