Buffett throws down Gauntlet:

Dennis J

Jan 11, 2012, 4:42:05 PM1/11/12
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/11/us-buffett-idUSTRE80A24U20120111?feedType=RSS&feedName=politicsNews&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook
--

"It’s been so difficult to get out of this recession because of the disequilibrium in the real economy.”" -- Paul Volcker
"Education is the progressive discovery of our own Ignorance" Will Durant
"One can't have a sense of perspective without a sense of Humor" -- Wayne Thiboux
"the Glass is not only half full, it has been delicious so far!!" -- ME
To reply, SCRAPE off the end bits.

Emperor Wonko the Sane

Jan 11, 2012, 4:48:24 PM1/11/12
On Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:42:05 PM UTC-6, Dennis J wrote:
> http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/11/us-buffett-idUSTRE80A24U20120111?feedType=RSS&feedName=politicsNews&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook
> --

How lame. If every congress critter donates a thousand, it would still be a drop in Buffet's gigantic bucket.

Doug

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Jan 11, 2012, 4:52:55 PM1/11/12
On Jan 11, 3:42 pm, Dennis J <drjud...@frontier.SCRAPE.COM> wrote:
> http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/11/us-buffett-idUSTRE80A24U201...

While I like the idea, I'd be far more impressed if he was bipartisan
about it

He's big into symbolism lately, isn't he?

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Jan 11, 2012, 4:56:44 PM1/11/12
On Jan 11, 3:42 pm, Dennis J <drjud...@frontier.SCRAPE.COM> wrote:

Sweet $Deity, he's such a tool. Rsfc him in the neck with a box of
See's Candies. "Oracle Of Omaha" my dimpled azz.

Dennis J

Jan 11, 2012, 5:20:27 PM1/11/12
could be, but I think it's more about putting HIS money where his
mouth is unlike Grover (SUPER CITIZEN) Norquist.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Jan 11, 2012, 5:21:29 PM1/11/12
On Jan 11, 4:20 pm, Dennis J <drjud...@frontier.SCRAPE.COM> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 13:52:55 -0800 (PST), "The Cheesehusker, Trade
>
> Warrior" <iamtj4l...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Jan 11, 3:42 pm, Dennis J <drjud...@frontier.SCRAPE.COM> wrote:
> >>http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/11/us-buffett-idUSTRE80A24U201...
>
> >While I like the idea, I'd be far more impressed if he was bipartisan
> >about it
>
> >He's big into symbolism lately, isn't he?
>
> could be, but I think it's more about putting HIS money where his
> mouth is unlike Grover (SUPER CITIZEN) Norquist.

The lack of bipartisanship makes it purely political

Dan Bretta

Jan 11, 2012, 5:22:06 PM1/11/12
On Jan 11, 3:52 pm, "The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior"
<iamtj4l...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 11, 3:42 pm, Dennis J <drjud...@frontier.SCRAPE.COM> wrote:
>
> >http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/11/us-buffett-idUSTRE80A24U201...
>
> While I like the idea, I'd be far more impressed if he was bipartisan
> about it

Then he'd be in danger of actually having to make a matching
contribution.

Dan

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Jan 11, 2012, 5:33:26 PM1/11/12
$1 from Sen Mrs Kerry?

Dan Bretta

Jan 11, 2012, 5:39:17 PM1/11/12
On Jan 11, 4:33 pm, "The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior"
<iamtj4l...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 11, 4:22 pm, Dan Bretta <nuda...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > While I like the idea, I'd be far more impressed if he was bipartisan
> > > about it
>
> > Then he'd be in danger of actually having to make a matching
> > contribution.
>
> > Dan
>
> $1 from Sen Mrs Kerry?

Dood...$1 is a lot of dough.

Dan

Dennis J

Jan 11, 2012, 6:00:08 PM1/11/12
true dat, but what was Grover's Pledge?

Tom Enright

Jan 11, 2012, 6:34:13 PM1/11/12
On Jan 11, 4:52 pm, "The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior"
This is on FB too. It's nonsensical. The GOP should show that they
are serious about not raising taxes by raising their own taxes? WTF?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh9dfaSOn5o&feature=player_embedded

-Tom Enright

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Jan 11, 2012, 6:53:25 PM1/11/12
The day Jeff Inmelt pays a billion $ is the day I insist my
congressman pays $1.

Jim Brown

Jan 11, 2012, 8:05:53 PM1/11/12
> --
>
> "It’s been so difficult to get out of this recession because of the disequilibrium in the real economy.”" -- Paul Volcker
> "Education is the progressive discovery of our own Ignorance" Will Durant
> "One can't have a sense of perspective without a sense of Humor" -- Wayne Thiboux
> "the Glass is not only half full, it has been delicious so far!!" -- ME
> To reply, SCRAPE off the end bits.

Thats all?? I thot maybe he was actually going to pay his ginormous
tax bill he's been fighting. Its a good thing for him he's one of the
richest men in the world, else he be called the grandstanding
hypocrite he is.

mianderson

Jan 11, 2012, 11:15:04 PM1/11/12
Buffet's real goal is to make the guy who makes 350k/yr pay as much as
possible

people of massive wealth like buffet have such vast and complex
financial matters that they in some ways can get around it.....but the
guy making 350k cant......

Kyle T. Jones

Jan 12, 2012, 9:19:58 PM1/12/12
I'd just like to get someone to call it officially - when was the exact
moment Buffett became Not Free Market Lovin' Enough??!?!

I'm guessing it coincided with the time he started vocally questioning
the myriad unfair benefits the ultra wealthy enjoy. Am I close?

Cheers.

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Jan 12, 2012, 10:09:53 PM1/12/12
On Jan 12, 8:19 pm, "Kyle T. Jones"
Good question, and I certainly drank the Berkshire Koolaid for any
number of years. I suppose it was when he started having Hillary
fundraisers here in Omaha, that was my WTF moment.

Jim Brown

Jan 12, 2012, 10:39:06 PM1/12/12
On Jan 12, 8:19 pm, "Kyle T. Jones"
<onexpadREM...@EVOMERyahoodotyouknow.com> wrote:
I really could not have cared less about him until he started
hypocritically calling for everyone to pay more taxes.

Kyle T. Jones

Jan 12, 2012, 10:56:08 PM1/12/12
I believe 35 hours should be the standard "full time" work week in the
US. Is it hypocritical for me to work 60?

Cheers.

Jim Brown

Jan 12, 2012, 11:06:43 PM1/12/12
On Jan 12, 9:56 pm, "Kyle T. Jones"
Thats the opposite, and really not a good analogy.

The best I can do with it: Your boss says everyone should work 60
hours on the same pay for the good of the company...meanwhile he is
still working his 40. Or...AlGore says everyone should leave a
smaller environmental footprint, then goes home to his half acre
house...one of many.

RaginPage

Jan 13, 2012, 7:56:58 AM1/13/12
On Jan 12, 9:19 pm, "Kyle T. Jones"
I'd say it's far less about free markets and far more about amassing
huge wealth, not spending any of it, and not donating any of it, and
watching the other wealthy folks around him throwing their money
about. He's out of touch. WAAAAYYYY out of touch. The call was for
him to put his money where his mouth is. The problem in offering to
match dollar for dollar every Republican member of Congress is that
he's far wealthier than all of them put together. It's like a parent
offering to match whatever pennies their 5 year old can save for
college and actually think that's going to do something.

If he matched 10 to 1, and for EVERY member of Congress regardless of
political affiliation, I'd think he meant it.

One other problem with this whole thing, BTW. The Republicans are NOT
advocating the wealthy pay more. So his offer really doesn't even
make sense in the first place. The Republicans said if he thought the
wealthy should pay more, go ahead an send in a check. Him saying "you
first!" is pretty stupid when they aren't advocating it in the first
place.

Sometimes I wonder just how lucky Buffet got getting his wealth. I
wonder that, because now that he's trying to get political, he seems
downright stupid.

Brent

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Jan 13, 2012, 8:18:39 AM1/13/12
On Jan 13, 6:56 am, RaginPage <btpage0...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Sometimes I wonder just how lucky Buffet got getting his wealth.  I
> wonder that, because now that he's trying to get political, he seems
> downright stupid.
>
> Brent

I guess he's tired of getting BJs from just business news anchorettes,
and wants them from regular news anchorettes, too...

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Jan 13, 2012, 6:43:39 AM1/13/12
On Jan 12, 8:19 pm, "Kyle T. Jones"
Actually no - it occured back in when he was messing around with
insurance regs during his takeover of General Re. He's never been shy
about bending government rules to fit his agenda

Tom Enright

Jan 13, 2012, 9:46:13 AM1/13/12
On Jan 13, 6:43 am, "The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior"
That makes the next question:

When was the exact moment the corporate-raiding, billions-having, tax-
dodging, Buffet became the post child for left-wing economic justice?
I'm guessing it's about the time he started donating money to Obama's
campaign.

BTW, I bet Soros is pissed now that Buffet has taken that job.

-Tom Enright

Dennis J

Jan 13, 2012, 10:31:54 AM1/13/12
yes you greedy bastard, that could be another guy's job!!!

Kyle T. Jones

Jan 13, 2012, 6:59:52 PM1/13/12
On 1/13/12 9:31 AM, Dennis J wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 21:56:08 -0600, "Kyle T. Jones"
> <onexpa...@EVOMERyahoodotyouknow.com> wrote:
>
>> On 1/12/12 9:39 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

>>> I really could not have cared less about him until he started
>>> hypocritically calling for everyone to pay more taxes.
>>
>> I believe 35 hours should be the standard "full time" work week in the
>> US. Is it hypocritical for me to work 60?
>>
>> Cheers.
> yes you greedy bastard, that could be another guy's job!!!
> --

I think someone should clone my company's indoctrination practices - I
swear to god, Dennis, you'll never feel so lucky and uniquely excellent
to be working 60 hour work weeks!

They don't let just anyone work those hours, you know!

Cheers.

Kyle T. Jones

Jan 13, 2012, 7:05:32 PM1/13/12
Can you give me a year for that, so I can look into it? I have to tell
you - to be candid, I had a hundred and one conservative friends that
basically *worshiped* the guy until he started talking about his
secretary's tax burden - and a couple of them are serious usenet fellas
- one guy in particular that's a hedge fund manager in Chicago comes to
mind (kinda always hoped I'd see some thread/group overlap and a
discussion between you two, to be honest - interestingly enough, he's
also a UofC grad, small world!).

Cheers.

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Jan 13, 2012, 7:23:29 PM1/13/12
On Jan 13, 6:05 pm, "Kyle T. Jones"
What really turned me off was the fact that he had a mistress. It is
beyond weird that his wife didn't care, either. 30 bil will do that,
I guess.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Jan 14, 2012, 8:52:07 PM1/14/12
On Jan 13, 3:59 pm, "Kyle T. Jones"
<onexpadREM...@EVOMERyahoodotyouknow.com> wrote:
> On 1/13/12 9:31 AM, Dennis J wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 21:56:08 -0600, "Kyle T. Jones"
> > <onexpadREM...@EVOMERyahoodotyouknow.com>  wrote:
> Cheers.- Hide quoted text -

heh......there's a reason many refer to your company as a cult

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Jan 14, 2012, 9:02:09 PM1/14/12
On Jan 13, 4:05 pm, "Kyle T. Jones"
IIRC, the General Re stink went down around 2000 or so? Had to do
with large bond transfers to AIG or something like that. And that's
but one example. He's not "unsavory" per se - and he's not shy about
bending/changing rules to his benefit. He's lionized and people don't
like to speak ill of him - but he's not as pure as the wind-driven
snow either.

Look at it this way with Warren - he's one helluva investor -
absolutely fantastic - and he likes to make sure his companies
maintain a strong competitive advantage. When he "advocates" some
sort of change, you have to ask yourself "why"? What's in it for
*him*?

Very cool about your buds, btw - bring 'em over! I'm class of 86,
fwiw

Here's my problem with the "secretary's tax burden" issue - his
"income" was largely based on dividends - we did the math in the
earlier thread.

So why not tax divvies? B/c they represent cash transfer from
companies to their owners - the public. And we do NOT was to
discourage this - b/c, to make a long story short, companies would
turn to debt instead to raise capital.

Now - what we could do here, is say that over X amount divvies are tax
like income, etc. But divvies are already multiply taxed as it is and
raising the tax rate would have serious adverse effects.

Furthermore, you've seen be speak very strongly as an advocate for
using dividend reinvestments as a means of building long-term wealth -
and raising divvy taxes on the common folks would take that away and
that would totally suck.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Jan 14, 2012, 9:02:34 PM1/14/12
On Jan 13, 4:23 pm, "Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger"
> I guess.- Hide quoted text -

And he married her when his wife died.

Dan Bretta

Jan 14, 2012, 9:14:06 PM1/14/12
On Jan 14, 8:02 pm, "The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior"
Yes, that would suck...people should remember that small business
owners like myself (middle class schmo) also get dividends...taxing
them would suck and a half.

Dan

Jim Brown

Jan 14, 2012, 11:42:15 PM1/14/12
<iamtj4l...@gmail.com> wrote:
> And he married her when his wife died.-

Our small town mayor had a public mistress well into his 80's. After
his wife died, the mistress dumped him.

CheeseHusker dos

Jan 14, 2012, 11:44:14 PM1/14/12
> his wife died, the mistress dumped him.- Hide quoted text -

That's awesome

Jim Brown

Jan 15, 2012, 12:05:46 AM1/15/12
> That's awesome-

I assume she liked having shit bought for her, but didn't want to live
with/take care of an old man. He was 80's, she 50's.

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Jan 15, 2012, 12:19:38 AM1/15/12
On Jan 14, 8:02 pm, "The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior"
<iamtj4l...@gmail.com> wrote:
I wonder if Warren created another job!

RaginPage

Jan 15, 2012, 9:05:46 AM1/15/12
On Jan 13, 7:05 pm, "Kyle T. Jones"
The problem is, Warren Buffet wasn't advocating higher taxes until
he'd already managed the #1 spot and had already accumulated his
wealth.

When someone is that greedy and powerful and then *after* they've
"gotten theirs" they advocate policies that would prevent anyone else
from knocking them off the perch, you have to wonder, is this a real
philosophy on their part that they genuinely believe in, or are they
using their influence to advocate policies that help consolidate their
power even more?

After all, when you eliminate competition, the big boys become even
*more* powerful. Believe me, Soros, Buffet and the like, all realize
that.

Why the media goes after the wealthy that don't advocate in that way,
is beyond me. They act like they just want to be greedy and get even
more money. Even a tighwad power hungry jerk like Buffet realizes
that at some point, more just doesn't matter. That's why he craves
the power now. Same with Soros.

I practically go apoplectic with the left's refusal to acknowledge
that Soros, Buffet and the like are the very emodiment of what they
claim is bad or evil about wealth and companies. And that's not even
to say there aren't individuals and corporations on the right that
aren't just as bad, but giving Buffet and Soros a pass simply because
they write opinion pieces or fund think tanks that support your
agenda, is ridiculous, and it's total hypocrisy.

They have the luxury of supporting the left's class warfare, because
when the dust clears, not only will they remain on top, but there will
be no one left to challenge them.

Brent

Tom Enright

Jan 19, 2012, 8:42:50 AM1/19/12
On Jan 12, 10:56 pm, "Kyle T. Jones"
<onexpadREM...@EVOMERyahoodotyouknow.com> wrote:

> I believe35hours should be the standard "full time" work week in the
> US.  Is it hypocritical for me to work 60?

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/global/2012/01/employees-just-one-paris-hospital-are-owed-2-million-vacation-days/47578/

-Tom Enright