I thought we didn't negotiate with terrorists, Biden...

Michael Falkner

Jul 27, 2022, 6:22:58 PM7/27/22
Don't worry -- you just told Putin who's winning.

Deal will be denied.

She dead.

Mike

Ken Olson

Jul 27, 2022, 11:06:10 PM7/27/22
Biden should have got a lot more for what we had to give back.

--
ÄLSKAR - Fänga Dagen

Слава Україні та НАТО

Michael Falkner

Jul 28, 2022, 6:53:39 PM7/28/22
On Wednesday, July 27, 2022 at 8:06:10 PM UTC-7, Ken Olson wrote:

> Biden should have got a lot more for what we had to give back.

She isn't coming back alive.

Think: Putin is a lot of things -- stupid IS NOT ONE OF THEM.

There are a metric ton of Americans who would like to broadcast her Russian execution on Pay Per View Television.

Mike

The NOTBCS Guy

Jul 28, 2022, 8:03:01 PM7/28/22

> > Biden should have got a lot more for what we had to give back.
> She isn't coming back alive.
>
> Think: Putin is a lot of things -- stupid IS NOT ONE OF THEM.
>
> There are a metric ton of Americans who would like to broadcast her Russian execution on Pay Per View Television.

Then you should have no problem explaining why her death hasn't already happened.

Do you honestly think that if she dies in Russian captivity, the next two responses won't be:
(a) a bullet in Bout's brain, and
(b) USA putting pressure on the IOC to make absolutely sure that no Olympic Athletes from Russia / Russian Olympic Committee / It's Russia Dammit competitors are allowed to compete at any future Olympics until Putin and all of his cronies are out of business?

You're right about one thing; Putin has the upper hand, and I doubt he'll settle for "two of yours for one of ours." Watch it end up being something like, "Two of yours for two of ours, and your assurance that Ukraine does not get into NATO" - something that wasn't going to happen anyway.

Michael Falkner

Jul 28, 2022, 8:26:56 PM7/28/22
On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 5:03:01 PM UTC-7, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:
> > > Biden should have got a lot more for what we had to give back.
> > She isn't coming back alive.
> >
> > Think: Putin is a lot of things -- stupid IS NOT ONE OF THEM.
> >
> > There are a metric ton of Americans who would like to broadcast her Russian execution on Pay Per View Television.
> Then you should have no problem explaining why her death hasn't already happened.

Because Putin is winning and he knows it.

That's happening for the same reason there hasn't been a tac nuke either in the Ukraine, a NATO base in Europe, or a convenient American city in the last six months.

Putin knows he has significant support over here, and that political party is winning -- at least for now.

Putin is a lot of things, but two things you need to remember he is: Cunning and Patient.

> Do you honestly think that if she dies in Russian captivity, the next two responses won't be:
> (a) a bullet in Bout's brain, and

I'd like to know how that would actually harm anyone other than Bout in that scenario.

> (b) USA putting pressure on the IOC to make absolutely sure that no Olympic Athletes from Russia / Russian Olympic Committee / It's Russia Dammit competitors are allowed to compete at any future Olympics until Putin and all of his cronies are out of business?

We're pretty much at that point already, are we not? I mean, if you're talking a full-out ban, we'll see come Paris, but this is more than interesting. Putin is actually winning at schisming tennis for the same reason.

> You're right about one thing; Putin has the upper hand, and I doubt he'll settle for "two of yours for one of ours." Watch it end up being something like, "Two of yours for two of ours, and your assurance that Ukraine does not get into NATO" - something that wasn't going to happen anyway.

Which is one of the reasons I believe Griner will never again be seen on these shores alive. He has all the cards at this point.

Mike

Corky

Jul 29, 2022, 5:39:47 PM7/29/22
And we have Marc Fogel who has been sentenced to 14 years in a Russian jail for bringing less than an ounce of medical marijuana into the country. He has also never been classified as wrongly detained by the State Department and hasn't been mentioned as a trade candidate.
Must be a republican.

Ken Olson

Jul 29, 2022, 7:08:30 PM7/29/22
On 7/29/2022 5:39 PM, Corky wrote:
> And we have Marc Fogel who has been sentenced to 14 years in a Russian jail for bringing less than an ounce of medical marijuana into the country. He has also never been classified as wrongly detained by the State Department and hasn't been mentioned as a trade candidate.
> Must be a republican.

Must be white and a non-celebrity, too.

The NOTBCS Guy

Dec 8, 2022, 8:31:35 AM12/8/22
> Don't worry -- you just told Putin who's winning.
>
> Deal will be denied.
>
> She dead.

Gee, I'll have to remember that.

Thomas Enright

Dec 8, 2022, 10:18:14 AM12/8/22
Must be bitter-sweet news for Griner. Being traded from one despotic hellhole
to another. At least Russia isn't racist.

-TE

Michael Falkner

Dec 8, 2022, 11:30:47 AM12/8/22
That's the sickest part of today's situation. Now he just told Putin who's winning by double.

Shocked and dismayed, and Biden's going to eat this full-plate come January.

Mike

xyzzy

Dec 8, 2022, 1:50:32 PM12/8/22
The truth of the matter is we’ve always negotiated with terrorists while
claiming we don’t. Reagan did, Bush did, all presidents have.

--
“I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian,
liberal personality.” — Altie

TE

Dec 8, 2022, 8:38:45 PM12/8/22
On Friday, July 29, 2022 at 7:08:30 PM UTC-4, Ken Olson wrote:
> On 7/29/2022 5:39 PM, Corky wrote:
> > And we have Marc Fogel who has been sentenced to 14 years in a Russian jail for bringing less than an ounce of medical marijuana into the country. He has also never been classified as wrongly detained by the State Department and hasn't been mentioned as a trade candidate.
> > Must be a republican.

> Must be white and a non-celebrity, too.

A former marine who loves the United States vs. a Russian oligarch-loving American hating basketball player?

I'm sure that was a very tough decision for the Biden admin.

-TE

xyzzy

Dec 8, 2022, 10:24:59 PM12/8/22
Be honest: before Biden got Greiner home did you even know there was a
(dishonorably discharged, btw) ex-Marine in captivity in Russia?

Ken Olson

Dec 8, 2022, 10:57:17 PM12/8/22
On 12/8/2022 10:24 PM, xyzzy wrote:
> TE <rando...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Must be white and a non-celebrity, too.
>>
>> A former marine who loves the United States vs. a Russian oligarch-loving
>> American hating basketball player?
>>
>> I'm sure that was a very tough decision for the Biden admin.
>

> Be honest: before Biden got Greiner home did you even know there was a
> (dishonorably discharged, btw) ex-Marine in captivity in Russia?

Yes.

TE

Dec 9, 2022, 10:12:01 AM12/9/22
On Thursday, December 8, 2022 at 10:24:59 PM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:
> TE <rando...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Must be white and a non-celebrity, too.
> >
> > A former marine who loves the United States vs. a Russian oligarch-loving
> > American hating basketball player?
> >
> > I'm sure that was a very tough decision for the Biden admin.

> Be honest: before Biden got Greiner home did you even know there was a
> (dishonorably discharged, btw) ex-Marine in captivity in Russia?

Honestly, I can't remember if I knew he was a marine, but I knew of him.

Asking this question is further evidence that the media doesn't care about this
guy for some, I'm sure, unfathomable reason.

Just like the media didn't care about this story:

https://reason.com/2022/11/28/arizona-town-to-pay-8-million-to-widow-of-daniel-shaver-shot-while-crawling-unarmed-toward-police/

Maybe if he were a life-long violent, drug-addicted criminal people would care.

-TE

“Brittney Griner is a cliché America-hating lefty who was stupid enough to pack drugs for a trip to a hostile foreign nation. If ever anyone needed a harsh lesson about why America is better, it’s this idiot. She should have had to serve out her labor camp penalty in Russia until she was ready to wake up and sing the Star Spangled Banner every day.”

xyzzy

Dec 9, 2022, 12:47:51 PM12/9/22
That wasn’t the choice he had. The Russians were willing to give her up in
exchange for Mr Bout. For Paul Whelan they demanded a Russian agent who’s
in a German prison for murdering a Chechen in Berlin. He wasn’t our
prisoner to exchange and the Germans said NEIN, so regardless of whether
trading him would have been a good idea (and I suspect you would have
bitched about it if we did anyway), it wasn’t going to happen.

So Biden’s choice wasn’t Greiner or Whelan. It was bring home one American
or bring home none.

I think Biden made the right choice.

And at least Bout did 14 years in prison here before he was exchanged.

Details are here if you care to learn them.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/09/us/politics/brittney-griner-prisoner-swap.html

unclejr

Dec 9, 2022, 1:03:22 PM12/9/22
+1

Ken Olson

Dec 9, 2022, 1:03:52 PM12/9/22
On this, we agree.

xyzzy

Dec 9, 2022, 1:53:16 PM12/9/22
Also, Tom, since this former Marine concerns you so much you might want to
look into what your man Trump was willing to do for him, after all he was
detained during the Trump administration.

Spoiler alert: Nothing.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/11/paul-whelan-caught-between-trump-and-kremlin/601411/

Michael Falkner

Dec 9, 2022, 2:46:06 PM12/9/22
On Thursday, December 8, 2022 at 5:38:45 PM UTC-8, TE wrote:

> A former marine who loves the United States vs. a Russian oligarch-loving American hating basketball player?

Then shoot her or shut the fuck up, Republican whore.

Mike

Corky

Dec 10, 2022, 6:14:27 AM12/10/22
And the whole world laughs at us. The only reason the Russians were unwilling to trade both for Bout is because they knew the Biden administration was desperate to bring Brittany home to satisfy their base. You can't negotiate from a position of weakness and that's exactly what happened.

Michael Falkner

Dec 10, 2022, 1:59:41 PM12/10/22
On Saturday, December 10, 2022 at 3:14:27 AM UTC-8, cork...@gmail.com wrote:
> And the whole world laughs at us. The only reason the Russians were unwilling to trade both for Bout is because they knew the Biden administration was desperate to bring Brittany home to satisfy their base. You can't negotiate from a position of weakness and that's exactly what happened.

Vladimir Putin is still the most powerful man in the world.

But unless he thinks his allies in the states can murder Griner more obviously than he could in a Russian prison colony, this makes no sense.

Mike

TE

Dec 10, 2022, 8:55:52 PM12/10/22
There, there Michael.

There are very few famous people worth shooting.

-TE