Republican Evangelicalism, explained

xyzzy

Sep 21, 2021, 10:16:14 AM9/21/21
Quoting https://twitter.com/ryanburge/status/1438679027661877248?s=21

Among Protestant Republicans, 2/3 of those who attend church once a year identify as evangelical.

Among Protestant Democrats, 2/3 of those who attend church more than once a week identify as evangelical.
(end quote)

In other words, among Republicans evangelicalism is a political lifestyle brand, not a real religious belief. Among Democrats it's the opposite.

More on this from https://frenchpress.thedispatch.com/p/did-donald-trump-make-the-church:

It is vitally important to understand these distinctions, in part because it can explain why Evangelical political action can be so cruel and often so disconnected from biblical ethics. Why? One answer is found in the simple reality that not only are vast numbers of white self-described Evangelicals unmoored from scriptural truth, they don’t know biblical ethics at all.

Two examples:

https://twitter.com/bethmoorelpm/status/1438473965744312324?s=21

A guy memorizing Phil 1:1-18 with us told me he was getting so much from it, he read it to a group recently. Got called a liberal. Gonna tell you right now, a lot of folks putting a checkmark in the Christian square are completely out of touch with the actual Jesus of Scripture.

https://twitter.com/drmoore/status/1438621355776299009?s=21

A pastor told me he cited “Turn the other cheek” and dealt with an outraged guy asking him why he was spouting liberal propaganda.

continuing to quote from the article:

I know these are anecdotes, but it is still absolutely, 100 percent the truth that politicians and activists who seek to mobilize white Evangelicals are trying to mobilize millions of people who do not know or believe scripture and are thus not persuaded by appeals to scriptural principles. As political operators, those politicians and activists often feel they have to appeal to Fox News or talk radio talking points because the biblical argument simply will not resonate. It’s speaking to their audience in a foreign tongue.

Combine the huge, unchurched “Evangelical” mass with a potent neo-fundamentalist movement that is steeped in angry Christian nationalism, and politics and religion can easily become a God-and-country branding exercise. And in that effort, the actual Bible can be an obstacle, not an asset.

michael anderson

Sep 21, 2021, 1:01:46 PM9/21/21
On Tuesday, September 21, 2021 at 9:16:14 AM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:
> Quoting https://twitter.com/ryanburge/status/1438679027661877248?s=21
>
> Among Protestant Republicans, 2/3 of those who attend church once a year identify as evangelical.
>
> Among Protestant Democrats, 2/3 of those who attend church more than once a week identify as evangelical.
> (end quote)
>
> In other words, among Republicans evangelicalism is a political lifestyle brand, not a real religious belief. Among Democrats it's the opposite.
>
> More on this from https://frenchpress.thedispatch.com/p/did-donald-trump-make-the-church:
>
> It is vitally important to understand these distinctions, in part because it can explain why Evangelical political action can be so cruel and often so disconnected from biblical ethics. Why? One answer is found in the simple reality that not only are vast numbers of white self-described Evangelicals unmoored from scriptural truth, they don’t know biblical ethics at all.
>
> Two examples:
>
> https://twitter.com/bethmoorelpm/status/1438473965744312324?s=21
>
> A guy memorizing Phil 1:1-18 with us told me he was getting so much from it, he read it to a group recently. Got called a liberal. Gonna tell you right now, a lot of folks putting a checkmark in the Christian square are completely out of touch with the actual Jesus of Scripture.
>
> https://twitter.com/drmoore/status/1438621355776299009?s=21
>
> A pastor told me he cited “Turn the other cheek” and dealt with an outraged guy asking him why he was spouting liberal propaganda.

the reality is the bible has plenty of examples that could be said to be in line with both liberal propaganda and conservative propaganda.

The more important reality is that on an issue like abortion, there is a clear difference between what most democratic politicians say and do vs most conservative politicians. The reality is such a clear
distinction on what many consider the defining religous issue overrides any such of the above concerns.

IOW, as long as democratic politicians keep supporting abortion, they can forget about most of the white vote that identifies as christian. Because that is going to outweigh by a mile
all these other relatively trivial things you cite above.

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

Sep 21, 2021, 3:30:15 PM9/21/21
On 2021-09-21, xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Quoting https://twitter.com/ryanburge/status/1438679027661877248?s=21
>
> Among Protestant Republicans, 2/3 of those who attend church once a year identify as evangelical.
>
> Among Protestant Democrats, 2/3 of those who attend church more than once a week identify as evangelical.
> (end quote)

What percentage of those evangelicals are part of the white power structure of the
Democratic party?

--
If you like what you're gettin', keep doin' what you're doin'. -- Hector

Ken Olson

Sep 21, 2021, 3:46:40 PM9/21/21
I wish the Republican Party would rid itself of this baggage.

--
ÄLSKAR - Fänga Dagen