What's really going on with Leach/Leavitt/Mangino

xyzzy

Jan 8, 2010, 1:01:12 PM1/8/10
Administrators (ADs, presidents) are tired of getting pushed around by
high profile coaches and are flexing their muscles to get some of the
power back. The pendulum it is a swingin'

I predict this will be looked back on as significant a power play as
when the Big 10 presidents rammed Penn State down their AD's throats,
teaching them who's in charge of conference alignments (and presidents
have pretty much been in charge of that since since).

Tonawanda Kardex

Jan 8, 2010, 1:03:45 PM1/8/10

That, and the pussification of the 2000s student-athlete with their
helicoptering, self-centered, Baby Boomer parents.

The Ghost of Edward M. Kennedy

Jan 8, 2010, 1:04:11 PM1/8/10
"xyzzy" <xyzzy...@gmail.com> wrote

President Nan Keohan had a run-in with Coach K.
Coach K is still at Duke.

--Tedward

xyzzy

Jan 8, 2010, 1:06:26 PM1/8/10
On Jan 8, 1:04 pm, "The Ghost of Edward M. Kennedy" <e...@eio.com>
wrote:
> "xyzzy" <xyzzy.d...@gmail.com> wrote

She left Duke in 2004. I'm talking about what's happening now.

The Ghost of Edward M. Kennedy

Jan 8, 2010, 1:08:35 PM1/8/10
"xyzzy" <xyzzy...@gmail.com> wrote

> > Administrators (ADs, presidents) are tired of getting pushed around by
> > high profile coaches and are flexing their muscles to get some of the
> > power back. The pendulum it is a swingin'
>
> > I predict this will be looked back on as significant a power play as
> > when the Big 10 presidents rammed Penn State down their AD's throats,
> > teaching them who's in charge of conference alignments (and presidents
> > have pretty much been in charge of that since since).
>
> President Nan Keohan had a run-in with Coach K.
> Coach K is still at Duke.
<
<She left Duke in 2004. I'm talking about what's happening now.

Coach K makes too much money *and* prestige for the university,
as much now as in then. He has free reign.

--Tedward

xyzzy

Jan 8, 2010, 1:16:47 PM1/8/10
On Jan 8, 1:08 pm, "The Ghost of Edward M. Kennedy" <e...@eio.com>
wrote:
> "xyzzy" <xyzzy.d...@gmail.com> wrote

Yeah, well you can't expect every university to show the same
integrity and courage in dealing with the power of their coaches as
Texas Tech and USF. Don't worry, I'm sure someday Duke will get
there. It's something to aspire to, anyway.

The Ghost of Edward M. Kennedy

Jan 8, 2010, 1:20:28 PM1/8/10
"xyzzy" <xyzzy...@gmail.com> wrote

The top salesman who's squeaky clean gets his way in any company.
Get off yer high horse and silly theory about alleged power stuggles.

--Tedward

xyzzy

Jan 8, 2010, 1:24:29 PM1/8/10
On Jan 8, 1:20 pm, "The Ghost of Edward M. Kennedy" <e...@eio.com>
wrote:
> "xyzzy" <xyzzy.d...@gmail.com> wrote

You're basically bragging that your basketball coach has more power
than the university president, and we're supposed to think that's a
good thing that reflects well on Duke?

The Ghost of Edward M. Kennedy

Jan 8, 2010, 2:10:26 PM1/8/10
"xyzzy" <xyzzy...@gmail.com> wrote

Yeah, and if he does something stupid, that power evaporates
quicker than I dismiss your dismay.

--Tedward

xyzzy

Jan 8, 2010, 4:30:36 PM1/8/10
On Jan 8, 2:10 pm, "The Ghost of Edward M. Kennedy" <e...@eio.com>
wrote:
> "xyzzy" <xyzzy.d...@gmail.com> wrote

OK you win. I was trying to fish you into getting all huffy and
defensive and maybe even invoking Frank Beamer's power at VT, but you
didn't take it. Well played.

Va Beach Hokie

Jan 8, 2010, 4:40:01 PM1/8/10
wrote:
> "xyzzy" <xyzzy.d...@gmail.com> wrote

He has a temper and a world famous potty mouth. If you're lucky he'll
retire before the school needs a reason to get rid of him.

The Ghost of Edward M. Kennedy

Jan 8, 2010, 5:19:55 PM1/8/10
"xyzzy" <xyzzy...@gmail.com> wrote

<OK you win. I was trying to fish you into getting all huffy and
<defensive and maybe even invoking Frank Beamer's power at VT, but you
<didn't take it. Well played.

Heh. My next move was to get silly by complaining Coach K
doesn't have the power to eject opposing fans like Roy can.

--Tedward

xyzzy

Jan 8, 2010, 9:05:20 PM1/8/10
On Jan 8, 5:19 pm, "The Ghost of Edward M. Kennedy" <e...@eio.com>
wrote:
> "xyzzy" <xyzzy.d...@gmail.com> wrote

rfsck! so I just should have been more persistent, eh? Well the line
was getting tangled and there was cold beer in the pilot house....