Mythbusters exploding water heater

Michael Press

May 15, 2017, 5:14:20 PM5/15/17
More than once Mythbusters exploded a water heater
by capping the all the ports and bypassing the
temperature controlled fuel shut off.

The first time was to test if it would go through
the roof of a house. I did not think it would
and was I happy to be wrong. Totally awesome.

They also exploded a water heater in open air.
I timed it.
Elapsed time from lift off to landing: 10.45 sec.
Altitude reached: 133 meter = 435 feet
Speed at lift off: 51 meter/sec = 114 mph.

--
Michael Press

Ken Olson

May 15, 2017, 6:35:17 PM5/15/17
That happened in my home area some years ago. It was like the water
heater was a Minuteman missile launched out of the basement, through 2
stories, and landed hundreds of feet away.

Michael Press

May 15, 2017, 7:29:14 PM5/15/17
In article <ofda8q$c1o$1...@dont-email.me>,
Surprising, too, how straight up they go.
In open air one landed within 10 water heater lengths
of the launch pad.

--
Michael Press