Sooners are true Cheatanous Sluts

1 view
Skip to first unread message

Dylan F. Alexander

unread,
Aug 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/31/97
to

In article <5uat8t$2...@dfw-ixnews7.ix.netcom.com>, big...@ix.netcom.com
(Dan and Stephanie) wrote:

}Article posted to Longhorn BBS:
}
}Strick wrote:
}
}Jackie Sherrill's recent problems got me to thinking (dangerous). Few
}will argue that Jackie Sherrill and Barry Switzer were two of the
}most corrupt coaches in college football history.

Your obsession is showing again.

--
Dylan Alexander dy...@tamu.edu

"Please Dylan, in the name of all that's holy, leave us be. If
annoyance were a crime, you'd be Jeffrey Dahmer." - C. Chase

john mcmanus

unread,
Aug 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/31/97
to

Dan and Stephanie wrote:
>
> Article posted to Longhorn BBS:
>
> Strick wrote:
>
> Jackie Sherrill's recent problems got me to thinking (dangerous). Few
> will argue that Jackie Sherrill and Barry Switzer were two of the
> most corrupt coaches in college football history.
>
> For the most part, aggies will admit this about Sherrill, and in fact,
> many have a sense of humor and are able to joke about it.
>
> However, most sooners are in complete denial about Switzer. In fact,
> they take BS's advice and hire Blake. They're even naming a building
> or practice field after him.
>
> Any thoughts on why this is??? I say it is because a&m was able to
> move on and continue success under Slocum while OU has not been able
> to duplicate Switzer's under Gibbs, Schnellenberger or Blake.
>
> Eyes Of Texas Replied:
>
> Well, I've always had a theory about this, which I probably would be
> better off keeping to myself, but what the hell?
>
> I think it has to do with the culture of the state of Oklahoma, which
> is, to say the least, unique.
>
> First, look at who they name their team after. What is a "Sooner"? Put
> bluntly, it is a polite word for a thief. Sooners are folks who
> literally stole land during the Great Oklahoma Land Rush by
> circumventing the rules that had been laid out by the federal
> government. These people got their plots of land by cheating - showing
> up a day early and staking their claim before the rush was on.
>
> These are the folks the team is named after. These are the folks who
> are perhaps most revered by Oklahomans when they look back on their
> state's history.
>
> And if Barry Switzer built his team by circumventing the rules that
> had been laid out by the NCAA, by cheating, in effect, well, then, so
> what? Doesn't that fit right in with the culture of the state? Doesn't
> that make him a romantic sort of figure, just like the original
> Sooners?
>
> In my opinion, it is this cultural outlook that explains why it is
> that when you or someone else points a finger at Barry Switzer and
> calls him a dirty, cheating thief, almost every OU fan will
> look back at you with a blank stare and say, in effect, "So what's
> your point?"
>
> Hook 'em!!!

Eyes of Texas, you need to re-phrase your opinion. Not every Oklahoman
adores switzer. There are ALOT of us Oklahomans who recognize scheister
for the lying, cheating, drunk that he really is. You need to say it is
the "sooners" and not Oklahomans who revere this idiot. That is
insulting to all Oklahomans, plenty of which agree with every word you
said. Believe it or not, but there are an awful lot of people such as
myself who was born in Oklahoma and lived here my whole life and are
not swooner fans. Not every Oklahoman roots for zero u, just as every
Texan is not a Horns' fan. Personally I think scheister even EXCEEDS
Sherrill as the biggest cheater of all time in the NCAA. What is so
amazing about scheister is that he began coaching in an era when there
basically were no rules and yet he still cheated his ass off. Think how
much trouble he could have gotten into if he could have only given out
25 scholarships a year and not the 70-75 he gave out per year in the
early seventies. He would have actually had to judge a make decisions
on talent, something he has shown over the years he is completely
incapable of doing.

john

Jim Andrews

unread,
Aug 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/31/97
to

John Walkup wrote:


> (3) Switzer has kept close ties to the U. Sherrill
> abandoned A&M.

That's like saying a prostitute abandons
her john after his time is up.


> Well, it works for Texas too. Remmeber that pesky NCAA probation
> Texas landed on in the 1980s?

Crimony, Walkup, do you have any pride? Why
don't you enlighten us all about Texas' probation?
Aside from a couple of coke dealers, a few rapes,
and a couple of shootings, UT and OU are identical,
right?

jim andrews (button stuck)

John Walkup

unread,
Sep 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/1/97
to

big...@ix.netcom.com (Dan and Stephanie) writes:

>However, most sooners are in complete denial about Switzer. In fact,
>they take BS's advice and hire Blake. They're even naming a building
>or practice field after him.

>Any thoughts on why this is??? I say it is because a&m was able to
>move on and continue success under Slocum while OU has not been able
>to duplicate Switzer's under Gibbs, Schnellenberger or Blake.

(1) Switzer had one Hell of a better record than Sherrill ever
had. (2) Switzer's supposed cheating was mostly hype. The actual
NCAA allegations are not nearly as severe on his record as most
believe. (3) Switzer has kept close ties to the U. Sherrill
abandoned A&M.

>And if Barry Switzer built his team by circumventing the rules that


>had been laid out by the NCAA, by cheating, in effect, well, then, so
>what? Doesn't that fit right in with the culture of the state? Doesn't

Well, it works for Texas too. Remmeber that pesky NCAA probation
Texas landed on in the 1980s? And let's not even discuss the
other Texas schools.

Uh-oh, I think I have been hooked. Why didn't I see it coming?

John

John Walkup

unread,
Sep 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/1/97
to

john mcmanus <gop...@worldnet.att.net> writes:

>Eyes of Texas, you need to re-phrase your opinion. Not every Oklahoman
>adores switzer. There are ALOT of us Oklahomans who recognize scheister
>for the lying, cheating, drunk that he really is. You need to say it is
>the "sooners" and not Oklahomans who revere this idiot. That is
>insulting to all Oklahomans, plenty of which agree with every word you
>said. Believe it or not, but there are an awful lot of people such as
>myself who was born in Oklahoma and lived here my whole life and are
>not swooner fans. Not every Oklahoman roots for zero u, just as every

Only the smart ones.

>Texan is not a Horns' fan. Personally I think scheister even EXCEEDS
>Sherrill as the biggest cheater of all time in the NCAA. What is so

As long as you don't need corraborating evidence, this is easy to think.

>amazing about scheister is that he began coaching in an era when there
>basically were no rules and yet he still cheated his ass off. Think how

The basic rules about recruiting haven't changed much. For sixteen
seasons Switzer coached OU football, and not a single player (that I
am aware of) has ever claimed that he was paid to go to OU. In fact,
the NCAA didn't find otherwise either.

>much trouble he could have gotten into if he could have only given out
>25 scholarships a year and not the 70-75 he gave out per year in the

70-75? That would make his rosters roughly 400 players. Not even
nebraska had that big of rosters, although they probably came close. :)

>early seventies. He would have actually had to judge a make decisions
>on talent, something he has shown over the years he is completely
>incapable of doing.

Say what you want, but Switzer was a damn good judge of talent. Hell, not
even Texas fans usually claim otherwise.

John

Gary McManus

unread,
Sep 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/1/97
to

In article <340A0E...@activepower.com>, jand...@activepower.com says...

>
>John Walkup wrote:
>
>
>> (3) Switzer has kept close ties to the U. Sherrill
>> abandoned A&M.
>
>That's like saying a prostitute abandons
>her john after his time is up.
>
>
>> Well, it works for Texas too. Remmeber that pesky NCAA probation
>> Texas landed on in the 1980s?
>
>Crimony, Walkup, do you have any pride? Why
>don't you enlighten us all about Texas' probation?
>Aside from a couple of coke dealers, a few rapes,
>and a couple of shootings, UT and OU are identical,
>right?
>

Um, no, that was one coke dealer. Please check your facts before you post.

Gary McManus


Gary McManus

unread,
Sep 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/1/97
to

In article <5uceph$q...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>, gop...@worldnet.att.net
says...

>
>Eyes of Texas, you need to re-phrase your opinion. Not every Oklahoman
>adores switzer. There are ALOT of us Oklahomans who recognize scheister
>for the lying, cheating, drunk that he really is.

Finally, he gets his recognition. "scheister"...I haven't seen clever
re-spellings like that since one Derek J. Castleman posted in here. I'm
still stinging from that "Gayri" remark.


You need to say it is
>the "sooners" and not Oklahomans who revere this idiot. That is
>insulting to all Oklahomans, plenty of which agree with every word you
>said. Believe it or not, but there are an awful lot of people such as
>myself who was born in Oklahoma and lived here my whole life and are
>not swooner fans. Not every Oklahoman roots for zero u, just as every

>Texan is not a Horns' fan. Personally I think scheister even EXCEEDS
>Sherrill as the biggest cheater of all time in the NCAA. What is so

>amazing about scheister is that he began coaching in an era when there
>basically were no rules and yet he still cheated his ass off. Think how

>much trouble he could have gotten into if he could have only given out
>25 scholarships a year and not the 70-75 he gave out per year in the

>early seventies. He would have actually had to judge a make decisions
>on talent, something he has shown over the years he is completely
>incapable of doing.

OH DEER LORD! I think he's forgetting the probation handed out to OSU in
'89, which was worse than OU's.

Good to see Switzer still pisses off Texas and OSU fans, though.

GaryMcManus


Gary McManus

unread,
Sep 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/1/97
to
says...

>
>Article posted to Longhorn BBS:
>
>Strick wrote:
>
>Jackie Sherrill's recent problems got me to thinking (dangerous). Few
>will argue that Jackie Sherrill and Barry Switzer were two of the
>most corrupt coaches in college football history.
>

NO WAY, LOSER!!! SWITZER WAS A SAINT!!! THIS GUY DOESN'T KNOW WHAT
HE'S TALKING ABOUT!!!

>For the most part, aggies will admit this about Sherrill, and in fact,
>many have a sense of humor and are able to joke about it.
>

>However, most sooners are in complete denial about Switzer.
>

See above.

>Any thoughts on why this is??? I say it is because a&m was able to
>move on and continue success under Slocum while OU has not been able
>to duplicate Switzer's under Gibbs, Schnellenberger or Blake.
>

>Eyes Of Texas Replied:
>
>Well, I've always had a theory about this, which I probably would be
>better off keeping to myself,
>

DEER LORD!!! Do'nt pull your Ollie...tha'ts not the true way.

>I think it has to do with the culture of the state of Oklahoma, which
>is, to say the least, unique.
>
>First, look at who they name their team after. What is a "Sooner"? Put
>bluntly, it is a polite word for a thief. Sooners are folks who
>literally stole land during the Great Oklahoma Land Rush by
>circumventing the rules that had been laid out by the federal
>government. These people got their plots of land by cheating - showing
>up a day early and staking their claim before the rush was on.
>
>These are the folks the team is named after. These are the folks who
>are perhaps most revered by Oklahomans when they look back on their
>state's history.
>

Actually, I'd say that most Oklahomans don't know what a "Sooner" is, except
a kick ass football player. We take pride in our ignorance.

>And if Barry Switzer built his team by circumventing the rules that
>had been laid out by the NCAA, by cheating, in effect, well, then, so
>what? Doesn't that fit right in with the culture of the state? Doesn't

>that make him a romantic sort of figure, just like the original
>Sooners?
>

"Built his team"??? You want to look at the team he took over from Chuck?

>In my opinion, it is this cultural outlook that explains why it is
>that when you or someone else points a finger at Barry Switzer and
>calls him a dirty, cheating thief, almost every OU fan will
>look back at you with a blank stare and say, in effect, "So what's
>your point?"

Ugh...couldn't you Texas dudes keep your whining in-house?

Gary McManus


john mcmanus

unread,
Sep 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/1/97
to

Charles Thompson and Scott Hill="a couple of coke dealers".

john mcmanus

unread,
Sep 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/1/97
to

The difference here is that fat pat jones got OSU on probation once and
he is a hated man by OSU fans and you will not see any buildings named
after him at OSU. switzer was part of THREE probations at zero u, one
as an asst. and TWO as head coach. Fat pat one, switzer three. And you
people still adore this creep which was what the original post of this
thread was about. You little guys named any buildings after david
walters yet? You all seem to admire the criminal element so much.

john

Gary McManus

unread,
Sep 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/1/97
to

In article <5ueqr2$e...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>, gop...@worldnet.att.net
says...

Cool. I get to take up for Pat Jones. You may need to talk to Willie
Anderson before you get your slack-jawed, mouth-breathin' panties in a bunch.

switzer was part of THREE probations at zero u, one
>as an asst. and TWO as head coach. Fat pat one, switzer three.

WE WIN!!!

And you
>people still adore this creep which was what the original post of this
>thread was about.

Listen, jerk. You can call Barry, the God of All That Is Holy, a cheater, a
scheister, an asshole, etc., but when you start throwing the "creep" word
around, that's where we draw the line.

You little guys named any buildings after david
>walters yet? You all seem to admire the criminal element so much.
>

No, but we have broken ground on the John McAnus Institute of Fine Whines.

Gary McManus


Thomas Rooney

unread,
Sep 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/1/97
to

john mcmanus wrote:

>
> The difference here is that fat pat jones got OSU on probation once and
> he is a hated man by OSU fans and you will not see any buildings named

> after him at OSU. switzer was part of THREE probations at zero u, one
> as an asst. and TWO as head coach. Fat pat one, switzer three. And you


> people still adore this creep which was what the original post of this

> thread was about. You little guys named any buildings after david


> walters yet? You all seem to admire the criminal element so much.
>

> john


True genius is often misunderstood by laypeople.

---------------------------
Tommy Rooney/NU '91

Justin Greenfield

unread,
Sep 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/1/97
to

Indeed.

Justin G.

Trent Woodruff

unread,
Sep 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/1/97
to

>john mcmanus was cut from the Stanford football team for saying...

>>Gary McManus wrote:

>>>Crimony, Walkup, do you have any pride? Why
>>>don't you enlighten us all about Texas' probation?
>>>Aside from a couple of coke dealers, a few rapes,
>>>and a couple of shootings, UT and OU are identical,
>>>right?

>> Um, no, that was one coke dealer. Please check your facts before you post.

>Charles Thompson and Scott Hill="a couple of coke dealers".

Scott who?


(I think that pretty much sums that up...)


Glenn A Tanner

unread,
Sep 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/1/97
to

In article <340b312...@snews.zippo.com>,

Scott Hill. H'es gone on to fame wrestling as a member of the
NWO/Outsiders faction in the World Wrestling Federation. His nickname is
Dr. Death.

He might have a chance to be a superstar now that Jim Duggan has retired,
too.

GT

Michael Dupree

unread,
Sep 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/1/97
to

john mcmanus wrote:

>
> Gary McManus wrote:
> >
> > Good to see Switzer still pisses off Texas and OSU fans, though.
> >
> > GaryMcManus
>
> The difference here is that fat pat jones got OSU on probation once and
> he is a hated man by OSU fans and you will not see any buildings named
> after him at OSU. switzer was part of THREE probations at zero u, one
> as an asst. and TWO as head coach. Fat pat one, switzer three. And you
> people still adore this creep which was what the original post of this
> thread was about. You little guys named any buildings after david
> walters yet? You all seem to admire the criminal element so much.
>

I like this - the best guy the pokes have to hold up against Switzer
is Pat Jones, the guy who went 0-10-1 one year and hardly won any
Big 8 games in his final 4 or 5 seasons. He couldn't beat OU with
Thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders on his team, or anyone else on his
team for that matter over his 10-11 years. For all his cheating,
he sure didn't have much to show for it.

Geez, I guess entries into the OSU coaching hall of fame is kind
of like books on italian war heroes - rare.

> john

M-

Gary McManus

unread,
Sep 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/1/97
to

In article <5ueqh0$e...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>, gop...@worldnet.att.net
says...

>
>Gary McManus wrote:
>>
>> In article <340A0E...@activepower.com>, jand...@activepower.com
says...
>> >
>> >John Walkup wrote:
>> >
>> >
>> >> (3) Switzer has kept close ties to the U. Sherrill
>> >> abandoned A&M.
>> >
>> >That's like saying a prostitute abandons
>> >her john after his time is up.
>> >
>> >
>> >> Well, it works for Texas too. Remmeber that pesky NCAA probation
>> >> Texas landed on in the 1980s?
>> >
>> >Crimony, Walkup, do you have any pride? Why
>> >don't you enlighten us all about Texas' probation?
>> >Aside from a couple of coke dealers, a few rapes,
>> >and a couple of shootings, UT and OU are identical,
>> >right?
>> >
>>
>> Um, no, that was one coke dealer. Please check your facts before you
post.
>>
>> Gary McManus

>
>Charles Thompson and Scott Hill="a couple of coke dealers".

Call off your dogs, goob. We concede.

Gary McManus


David Barnes

unread,
Sep 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/1/97
to

Gidget Wrote:
>In article <5ug4ka$e...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>, gop...@worldnet.att.net wrote:

>>Michael Dupree wrote:
>>>
>>> john mcmanus wrote:
>>> >
>>> > Gary McManus wrote:

>LSU TB suspended | Home | More News |

>Backup LSU tailback Cecil Collins has been suspended for LSU's home opener
>against Texas-El
>Paso for violation of unspecified team policies, head coach Gerry DiNardo
>announced Saturday.

(Which will be dismissed if they need him.)
>Collins, a sophomore from Leesville, will be allowed to play in the Tigers'
>second game on Sept. 13
>at Mississippi State.

(Unless they get behind by 28 to UTEP like they did to Houston)

>DiNardo had no further comment on the situation, the LSU sports information
>department said in a
>news release.

(Except to say"I hope we don't need him, 'cuz it would look real bad
if I did this again.")

>The Tigers open the season next Saturday with a 7 p.m. kickoff against UTEP in
>Tiger Stadium.
>--College Insider
> http://www.collegeinsider.com/football/znews96.htm
(And really, really hope that they don't need him.)

>>It was a comparison of cheating coaches...switzer won that too!


--
David Barnes, R.Ph.
Auburn School of Pharmacy '88

"I got to fly to Saint Somewhere,
I'm close to bodily harm."
- Jimmy Buffett

john mcmanus

unread,
Sep 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/1/97
to

John Walkup

unread,
Sep 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/2/97
to

Jim Andrews <jand...@activepower.com> writes:

>John Walkup wrote:


>> (3) Switzer has kept close ties to the U. Sherrill
>> abandoned A&M.

>That's like saying a prostitute abandons
>her john after his time is up.


>> Well, it works for Texas too. Remmeber that pesky NCAA probation
>> Texas landed on in the 1980s?

>Crimony, Walkup, do you have any pride? Why
>don't you enlighten us all about Texas' probation?

Which one?

>Aside from a couple of coke dealers, a few rapes,
>and a couple of shootings, UT and OU are identical,
>right?

Close enough.

John

John Walkup

unread,
Sep 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/2/97
to

john mcmanus <gop...@worldnet.att.net> writes:

>Gary McManus wrote:

>The difference here is that fat pat jones got OSU on probation once and

^^^^^^^^^^

You misspelled "Jimmy Johnson."

>he is a hated man by OSU fans and you will not see any buildings named
>after him at OSU. switzer was part of THREE probations at zero u, one

^^^^^
One.

>as an asst. and TWO as head coach. Fat pat one, switzer three. And you

Zero as an assistant, and one as a head coach. (He was not involved in
the 1973-74 probation.)

>people still adore this creep which was what the original post of this
>thread was about. You little guys named any buildings after david
>walters yet? You all seem to admire the criminal element so much.

Well, criminal elements that win ball games at least.

>john

Jim Andrews

unread,
Sep 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/2/97
to

John Walkup wrote:

>
> Jim Andrews <jand...@activepower.com> writes:
>
>
> >Aside from a couple of coke dealers, a few rapes,
> >and a couple of shootings, UT and OU are identical,
> >right?
>
> Close enough.

Damn, talk about obsessions.

jim andrews

Gidget

unread,
Sep 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/2/97
to

>Michael Dupree wrote:
>>
>> john mcmanus wrote:
>> >
>> > Gary McManus wrote:

LSU TB suspended | Home | More News |

Backup LSU tailback Cecil Collins has been suspended for LSU's home opener
against Texas-El
Paso for violation of unspecified team policies, head coach Gerry DiNardo
announced Saturday.

Collins, a sophomore from Leesville, will be allowed to play in the Tigers'

second game on Sept. 13
at Mississippi State.

DiNardo had no further comment on the situation, the LSU sports information

department said in a
news release.

The Tigers open the season next Saturday with a 7 p.m. kickoff against UTEP in

>> > >


>> > > Good to see Switzer still pisses off Texas and OSU fans, though.
>> > >
>> > > GaryMcManus
>> >

>> > The difference here is that fat pat jones got OSU on probation once and

>> > he is a hated man by OSU fans and you will not see any buildings named
>> > after him at OSU. switzer was part of THREE probations at zero u, one

>> > as an asst. and TWO as head coach. Fat pat one, switzer three. And you

>> > people still adore this creep which was what the original post of this
>> > thread was about. You little guys named any buildings after david
>> > walters yet? You all seem to admire the criminal element so much.
>> >
>>

>> I like this - the best guy the pokes have to hold up against Switzer
>> is Pat Jones, the guy who went 0-10-1 one year and hardly won any
>> Big 8 games in his final 4 or 5 seasons. He couldn't beat OU with
>> Thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders on his team, or anyone else on his
>> team for that matter over his 10-11 years. For all his cheating,
>> he sure didn't have much to show for it.
>>
>> Geez, I guess entries into the OSU coaching hall of fame is kind
>> of like books on italian war heroes - rare.
>>
>> > john
>>
>> M-
>
>It was a comparison of cheating coaches...switzer won that too!


---
DrG "*Greed,* IS *good....<3*" --Mr. 'Michael Douglas,' _Wall $treet_
*Sigma Chi*
Punahou '84
Stanford University Cardinal, Palo Alto CA
U$C Trojan$ '89
"I wuz *educated* @ Woodstock."
Waikiki, U$A

ps WATCH 'The Tonight Show with James Leno'
WATCH Ms. VALERIE BERTINELLI VAN HALEN's new series this FALL on CBS <3
$UPPORT the *rock-n-roll* group: '?Van Halen?'
mahalo HRH Princess "Di," et al.


Chris Bellomy

unread,
Sep 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/2/97
to

Jim Andrews (jand...@activepower.com) wrote:

: Crimony, Walkup, do you have any pride? Why

: don't you enlighten us all about Texas' probation?

: Aside from a couple of coke dealers, a few rapes,

: and a couple of shootings, UT and OU are identical,
: right?

"Aside from?"

--CCI
(I don't get it)

john mcmanus

unread,
Sep 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/2/97
to

John Walkup wrote:


> >The difference here is that fat pat jones got OSU on probation once

^^^^^^^^^^

> You misspelled "Jimmy Johnson."

What does Jimmy Johnson have to do with the current discussion? We were
talking about cheating coaches, barry switzer, pat jones, jackie
sherrill....guess you could throw in Danny Ford or Dennis Erickson if
you like but I don't see what JJ has to do with this topic.

J. Micheal Nobles

unread,
Sep 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/3/97
to

john mcmanus <gop...@worldnet.att.net> writes:

snip



> The difference here is that fat pat jones got OSU on probation once and
> he is a hated man by OSU fans and you will not see any buildings named
> after him at OSU. switzer was part of THREE probations at zero u, one
> as an asst. and TWO as head coach. Fat pat one, switzer three. And you
> people still adore this creep which was what the original post of this
> thread was about. You little guys named any buildings after david
> walters yet? You all seem to admire the criminal element so much.

> john

You know, I read this and said to myself, "Gee, he may have a point."
Then I thought about it and have decide, "Well actually no he doesn't."

Let's see, comparing Pat Jones and Barry Switzer with David Walters. Hmm
2 college coaches that broke NCAA rules with a guy who broke the LAW. First off
it is not against the law to cheat in the NCAA. It is against NCAA rules, and
the probations given were done so according to those rules. Neither coach has
a criminal record because of their activities in college football because they
did not BREAK THE LAW while coaching. They cheated in the NCAA! Now, let us
consider the Culture of Violence (tm) (hey to whoever coined it) and how every
year SOMEONE gets into trouble with the law and still remains eligible to play.
Hey to Lawrence Phillips. Consider also that OU suspended a player after
discovering that he was in trouble with the law this year. So when comparing
college coaches doing shameful deeds according to NCAA rules, be careful to
call them what they are: CHEATERS not criminals...


###############################################################################
Mike Nobles # O/A WAC
Univ. of Tulsa # Saturday Sept. 13 Game 2 0-1 0-0
Media Services #
McFarlin Library # Tulsa Golden Hurricane @ Iowa Hawkeyes
nobl...@centum.utulsa.edu #
###############################################################################
My opinions do not reflect the opinions of the
University of Tulsa or McFarlin Library

John Walkup

unread,
Sep 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/4/97
to

Gary McManus <gmcm...@ou.edu> writes:


>There was a lot more than that. You may need to go to the Oklahoman
>paper archive and look up the NCAA letter.

>Get Dexter to look it up for you.

Amazing how some can thrash all over Barry for cheating, and at the same
time think JJ never cheated.

John

John Walkup

unread,
Sep 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/4/97
to

john mcmanus <gop...@worldnet.att.net> writes:

>John Walkup wrote:
>>
>> john mcmanus <gop...@worldnet.att.net> writes:


>>
>> >John Walkup wrote:
>> >
>> >> >The difference here is that fat pat jones got OSU on probation once

>> > ^^^^^^^^^^
>> >
>> >> You misspelled "Jimmy Johnson."
>> >
>> >What does Jimmy Johnson have to do with the current discussion? We were
>> >talking about cheating coaches, barry switzer, pat jones, jackie
>> >sherrill....guess you could throw in Danny Ford or Dennis Erickson if
>> >you like but I don't see what JJ has to do with this topic.
>>

>> Think: Oklahoma State.
>>
>> John

>I do all the time. JJ still isn't relevant in a discussion of cheating
>coaches.

Think: Willie Anderson. Now think: Jimmy Johnson.

John

Gary McManus

unread,
Sep 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/4/97
to

Actually, it's not that amazing. Every person with the last name
Mcmanus that I've met has been a complete and utter dumbass.

Gary McManus

john mcmanus

unread,
Sep 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/4/97
to

John Walkup wrote:
>
> john mcmanus <gop...@worldnet.att.net> writes:
>

> >Michael, Dupree wrote:
> >>
> >> In article <walkup.873266450@dimension>, wal...@dimension.nhn.uoknor.edu says...
>
> >Wrong! OSU was placed on probation for illegal inducements in
> >recruiting. Namely, paying Hart Lee Dykes. Fat Pat Jones was the head
> >coach when this happened, JJ was already in Miami. That probation was
> >ALL fat pat. Dykes was a pat recruit not a JJ recruit. Dykes came to
> >OSU the year AFTER JJ left.
>
> A couple of small problems with your logic. First, the NCAA couldn't
> investigate JJ's involvement, because under NCAA guidelines they can only
> investigate back five years. Dyke's recruiting happened at the earliest
> the NCAA could investigate --- the year after JJ left. Second, the man
> who got OSU in trouble was hired by JJ. What was the man's qualifications
> for getting hired by JJ? He had just put Clemson on probation, and had
> been banned from recruiting for Clemson for life. What position did
> JJ give him? Recruiting coordinator.
>
> Gee, I wonder why JJ wanted him?
>
> JJ put OSU on probation. Pat got stiffed.
>
> John

So you write in your own damn post that the violations were not under
JJ. JJ hired Willie Anderson but Willie did not commit the violations
until after JJ left. How is this JJ's fault. Yes Wilie cheated before
he came to OSU and while he was at OSU but not while JJ was at OSU. You
hold someone responsible for the actions of a former employee? How
utterly absurd! You might as well blame the probation on the A.D and
the board of regents because they all approved the hire. Hell JJ hired
fat pat too. This is like blaming Chuck Fairbanks for ou's last
probation because he hired switzer.

Gary McManus

unread,
Sep 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/4/97
to

John Walkup wrote:
>
> john mcmanus <gop...@worldnet.att.net> writes:
>
> >See previous posts. Perhaps you should stick to talking about ou
> >because you obviously know nothing about the situation at OSU.
>
> You didn't even know who Willie Anderson was before we told you, so don't
> tell us that we don't know what happened at OSU.
>
> Trying to argue that Jimmy Johnson had nothing to do with the recruiting
> violations at OSU is futile. Fact: WIllie Anderson already had a
> rotten reputation as a rules violator at Clemson. Fact: JJ hires him
> shortly after to be *recruiting coordinator* at OSU. Fact: Willie
> Anderson puts OSU on serious probation on account of recruiting
> violations.
>
> Hell, even you should be able to put two and two together.
>

Hey to Dexter Manley.

Gary McManus

Gary McManus

unread,
Sep 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/4/97
to

john mcmanus wrote:
>
> John Walkup wrote:
> >
> > john mcmanus <gop...@worldnet.att.net> writes:
> >

Hmmmm...Chuck hired Switzer? Man, do tell, you fountain of knowledge
you.

Castleman, OSU style...

Gary McManus

Justin Greenfield

unread,
Sep 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/4/97
to

John Walkup wrote:
>
> john mcmanus <gop...@worldnet.att.net> writes:
>

> >See previous posts. Perhaps you should stick to talking about ou
> >because you obviously know nothing about the situation at OSU.
>
> You didn't even know who Willie Anderson was before we told you, so don't
> tell us that we don't know what happened at OSU.
>
> Trying to argue that Jimmy Johnson had nothing to do with the recruiting
> violations at OSU is futile. Fact: WIllie Anderson already had a
> rotten reputation as a rules violator at Clemson. Fact: JJ hires him
> shortly after to be *recruiting coordinator* at OSU. Fact: Willie
> Anderson puts OSU on serious probation on account of recruiting
> violations.
>
> Hell, even you should be able to put two and two together.
>

> John


Um, he's a McManus. I wouldn't be so optimistic, John.

Justin G.

John Walkup

unread,
Sep 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/5/97
to

John Walkup

unread,
Sep 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/5/97
to

john mcmanus <gop...@worldnet.att.net> writes:

>John Walkup wrote:
>>
>> john mcmanus <gop...@worldnet.att.net> writes:
>>

>> >Michael, Dupree wrote:
>> >>
>> >> In article <walkup.873266450@dimension>, wal...@dimension.nhn.uoknor.edu says...
>>
>> >Wrong! OSU was placed on probation for illegal inducements in
>> >recruiting. Namely, paying Hart Lee Dykes. Fat Pat Jones was the head
>> >coach when this happened, JJ was already in Miami. That probation was
>> >ALL fat pat. Dykes was a pat recruit not a JJ recruit. Dykes came to
>> >OSU the year AFTER JJ left.
>>
>> A couple of small problems with your logic. First, the NCAA couldn't
>> investigate JJ's involvement, because under NCAA guidelines they can only
>> investigate back five years. Dyke's recruiting happened at the earliest
>> the NCAA could investigate --- the year after JJ left. Second, the man
>> who got OSU in trouble was hired by JJ. What was the man's qualifications
>> for getting hired by JJ? He had just put Clemson on probation, and had
>> been banned from recruiting for Clemson for life. What position did
>> JJ give him? Recruiting coordinator.
>>
>> Gee, I wonder why JJ wanted him?
>>
>> JJ put OSU on probation. Pat got stiffed.
>>
>> John

>So you write in your own damn post that the violations were not under
>JJ. JJ hired Willie Anderson but Willie did not commit the violations
>until after JJ left. How is this JJ's fault. Yes Wilie cheated before

Wrong. The NCAA couldn't investigate Willie's violations, but they were
definitely there if you followed the news wires. Do you really think
Willie was an angel until JJ left, especially since he had been in
trouble with the NCAA before? Are you that naive.

>he came to OSU and while he was at OSU but not while JJ was at OSU. You

Yes, he is that naive.

>hold someone responsible for the actions of a former employee? How
>utterly absurd! You might as well blame the probation on the A.D and
>the board of regents because they all approved the hire. Hell JJ hired

Yes, they are to blame as well.

>fat pat too. This is like blaming Chuck Fairbanks for ou's last

Sure, but I do not hold that against him.

>probation because he hired switzer.

Except (1) Switzer did not have a prior NCAA recruiting violation
on his record, (2) Switzer was not hired with the express purpose
of recruiting, and (3) Switzer did not get the university promptly on
probation like Willie did.

Besides, Chuck Fairbanks did not hire Switzer.

John

Justin Greenfield

unread,
Sep 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/5/97
to

john mcmanus wrote:
>
> John Walkup wrote:
> >
> > john mcmanus <gop...@worldnet.att.net> writes:
> >
> > >See previous posts. Perhaps you should stick to talking about ou
> > >because you obviously know nothing about the situation at OSU.
> >
> > You didn't even know who Willie Anderson was before we told you, so don't
> > tell us that we don't know what happened at OSU.
> >
> > Trying to argue that Jimmy Johnson had nothing to do with the recruiting
> > violations at OSU is futile.
>
> Trying to argue about facts concerning OSU with a swooner is futile.

>
> Fact: WIllie Anderson already had a
> > rotten reputation as a rules violator at Clemson. Fact: JJ hires him
> > shortly after to be *recruiting coordinator* at OSU. Fact: Willie
> > Anderson puts OSU on serious probation on account of recruiting
> > violations.
> >
> > Hell, even you should be able to put two and two together.
> >
> > John
>
> I know exactly who Willie Anderson is, I was the one who posted his name
> in the thread first, gary just kept referring to the guy JJ hired from
> clemson. I think we all realize JJ hired Willie, nobody has said
> anything to the contrary. We all also realize Willie gave Dykes the
> cash, no one has argued this either. But he did these violations while
> fat pat was the head coach, NOT JJ. Which part of this do you just not
> get?

What part of "JJ was a cheater because he knowingly sought and hired a
known recruiting cheater with the express intent of cheating, whether
specifically spelled out in the NCAA's report or not" do you not
understand?

> Do you hate JJ so much that you want to recreate history to
> justify you fellings or something. Give it up for heavens sake, fat pat
> was the head coach when the violations ocurred and not JJ!!!!!! True,
> JJ should not have hired Willie but to blame JJ for the actions of a
> former employee is rediculous. Do you blame switzer for the actions of
^^^
Hey to that Freud dude, er something.

> scott hill? For crying in the night, give it up! You just have no idea
> what the hell you are talking about (not that this has ever stopped you
> and gary before). Why don't you just stick to the original question,
> why do sooners love a man who got the school in so much trouble while
> other schools hate coaches who give their school a bad name. The answer
> is simple....just win baby....at any cost....whatever it takes. For
> what its worth, I dislike Joe Seay just as much as fat pat. Another
> cheater.

See Walkup, I told you not to be so optimistic.

Justin G.

Gary McManus

unread,
Sep 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/5/97
to

Justin Greenfield wrote:
>
> John Walkup wrote:
> >
> > john mcmanus <gop...@worldnet.att.net> writes:
> >
> > >See previous posts. Perhaps you should stick to talking about ou
> > >because you obviously know nothing about the situation at OSU.
> >
> > You didn't even know who Willie Anderson was before we told you, so don't
> > tell us that we don't know what happened at OSU.
> >
> > Trying to argue that Jimmy Johnson had nothing to do with the recruiting
> > violations at OSU is futile. Fact: WIllie Anderson already had a

> > rotten reputation as a rules violator at Clemson. Fact: JJ hires him
> > shortly after to be *recruiting coordinator* at OSU. Fact: Willie
> > Anderson puts OSU on serious probation on account of recruiting
> > violations.
> >
> > Hell, even you should be able to put two and two together.
> >
> > John
>
> Um, he's a McManus. I wouldn't be so optimistic, John.
>

Good point.

Gary McAnus

Sid Kitchel

unread,
Sep 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/5/97
to

>Gary McManus wrote:
> This is like blaming Chuck Fairbanks for ou's last

>> > probation because he hired switzer.
>>

>> Hmmmm...Chuck hired Switzer? Man, do tell, you fountain of knowledge
>> you.
>>
>> Castleman, OSU style...
>>
>> Gary McManus

>Whoever, the point is, do you blame the person who first hired switzer
>as an asst. for his later violations? I should hope not.

No! "the person" died of a heart attack after one year as
coach. He didn't have time to cheat. He did make wholesale changes: to
the staff, to the training, to the uniforms, to the morale of players
and fans. "the person" did coach a winning season. "the person" did
beat t.u. "the person" did make a difference.

soONEr born!!!,
(Isn't it funny how
turn around coaches
at OU are named
"Jim"? I wonder if
we should have hired
Donnan?)
--Sid
--
Sid Kitchel
kitchel(at)teleport(dot)com Public Access User -- Not affiliated with Teleport
Portland, Oregon, USA

Gary McManus

unread,
Sep 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/5/97
to

john mcmanus wrote:


>
> Gary McManus wrote:
> >
> > John Walkup wrote:
> > >
> > > john mcmanus <gop...@worldnet.att.net> writes:
> > >
> > > >See previous posts. Perhaps you should stick to talking about ou
> > > >because you obviously know nothing about the situation at OSU.
> > >
> > > You didn't even know who Willie Anderson was before we told you, so don't
> > > tell us that we don't know what happened at OSU.
> > >
> > > Trying to argue that Jimmy Johnson had nothing to do with the recruiting
> > > violations at OSU is futile. Fact: WIllie Anderson already had a
> > > rotten reputation as a rules violator at Clemson. Fact: JJ hires him
> > > shortly after to be *recruiting coordinator* at OSU. Fact: Willie
> > > Anderson puts OSU on serious probation on account of recruiting
> > > violations.
> > >
> > > Hell, even you should be able to put two and two together.
> > >
> >

> > Hey to Dexter Manley.
> >
> > Gary McManus
>

> Hey to Charles Thompson. I don't think you want to get into one of
> these contests, I have a whole lot more ammo.
^^^^

You misspelled "sisters to make love to".

Hey to 1/8th of OSU's scholarship players for the 1997 season.

or

Hey to Rust-oleum.

Gary McManus

El Goob (Gary W. Smith)

unread,
Sep 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/5/97
to

In some article, Gary McManus <gmcm...@ou.edu> wrote:
->
->john mcmanus wrote:
->>
->> Hey to Charles Thompson. I don't think you want to get into one of
->> these contests, I have a whole lot more ammo.
-> ^^^^
->
->You misspelled "sisters to make love to".

OSU "sisters to make love to" >> OU "sisters to make love to".

- goob (pick a trailer park in okie city...
count the ou fans, count the osu fans... wanna bet?) smith


Gary McManus

unread,
Sep 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/5/97
to

No way. Most of our inbred kids die because of major genetic
deformities. OSU's go play in the NBA in Canada.

Gary McManus

Gary McManus

unread,
Sep 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/5/97
to

john mcmanus wrote:
>
> John Walkup wrote:
> >
> > john mcmanus <gop...@worldnet.att.net> writes:
> >
> > >See previous posts. Perhaps you should stick to talking about ou
> > >because you obviously know nothing about the situation at OSU.
> >
> > You didn't even know who Willie Anderson was before we told you, so don't
> > tell us that we don't know what happened at OSU.
> >
> > Trying to argue that Jimmy Johnson had nothing to do with the recruiting
> > violations at OSU is futile.
>

> Trying to argue about facts concerning OSU with a swooner is futile.


>
> Fact: WIllie Anderson already had a
> > rotten reputation as a rules violator at Clemson. Fact: JJ hires him
> > shortly after to be *recruiting coordinator* at OSU. Fact: Willie
> > Anderson puts OSU on serious probation on account of recruiting
> > violations.
> >
> > Hell, even you should be able to put two and two together.
> >

> > John
>
> I know exactly who Willie Anderson is, I was the one who posted his name
> in the thread first, gary just kept referring to the guy JJ hired from
> clemson. I think we all realize JJ hired Willie, nobody has said
> anything to the contrary. We all also realize Willie gave Dykes the
> cash, no one has argued this either. But he did these violations while
> fat pat was the head coach, NOT JJ. Which part of this do you just not
> get?

If Willie gave him the money, and Pat didn't know about it, then it's
ultimately Pat's responsibility, but that doesn't make him a cheater.

Or are you saying that Dexter Manley staying eligible under JJ, even
though he couldn't read, was on the up and up? Just because it was too
late for the NCAA to investigate doesn't mean JJ wasn't a cheatenous
bad-dude (hey to Goob).

Maybe in another 20 years, you can actually try to fish using a football
score.

Gary McManus

Jim McClune

unread,
Sep 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/5/97
to

El Goob (Gary W. Smith) (goo...@unix.tamu.edu) wrote:

: - goob (pick a trailer park in okie city...


: count the ou fans, count the osu fans... wanna bet?) smith

pick any town in the usa ... wanna bet?

Go Sooners!
--
Yours Indeed, Jimbo

xox Basqueing in the luv, just like in 2nd grade oxo
oxo when girls kicked me in shins, cuz Krissy said, xox
xox "you might be the goofiest of all the oxo
oxo goofy guys on this newgroup(rsfc)." xoxoxo xox


john mcmanus

unread,
Sep 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/5/97
to

Gary McManus wrote:

> If Willie gave him the money, and Pat didn't know about it, then it's
> ultimately Pat's responsibility, but that doesn't make him a cheater.

> Gary McManus

Do you honostly believe that an assistant coach went out on the road and
gave a recruit $5000 cash and no other coaches knew about it? Where do
you pretend Willie got the cash? I promise you that fat pat not only
knew about the cash but APPROVED of its delivery. Lard ass knew all
along exactly what was going on, and yes, fat pat is a cheatanous slut.
He is an embarrassment to OSU. I would imagine you sooners wish he was
still at OSU and not been forced to resign just as I wish schnelly was
still at OU. Both were disgraces, one for ineptness and one for
ineptness and cheating. It would be interesting to see the state of
football in Oklahoma if both were still here. TU would be looking good.

john

john

Chris Grovich

unread,
Sep 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/6/97
to

In article <340E52...@ou.edu>, Gary McManus <gmcm...@ou.edu> wrote:

>Every person with the last name
>Mcmanus that I've met has been a complete and utter dumbass.

Hey to Stephen Baldwin (and Keyser Soze...)


-chris. http://www.personal.psu.edu/cxg202

"I'm not even supposed to be here today!" -- Dante Hicks

Gary McManus

unread,
Sep 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/6/97
to

Chris Grovich wrote:
>
> In article <340E52...@ou.edu>, Gary McManus <gmcm...@ou.edu> wrote:
>
> >Every person with the last name
> >Mcmanus that I've met has been a complete and utter dumbass.
>
> Hey to Stephen Baldwin (and Keyser Soze...)
>

Who IS Keyser Soze...

Gary McManus

Trent Woodruff

unread,
Sep 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/6/97
to

>Gary McManus was cut from the Oregon State football team for saying...

>>El Goob (Gary W. Smith) wrote:

>> OSU "sisters to make love to" >> OU "sisters to make love to".

>> - goob (pick a trailer park in okie city...
>> count the ou fans, count the osu fans... wanna bet?) smith

>No way. Most of our inbred kids die because of major genetic


>deformities. OSU's go play in the NBA in Canada.

Sure, but Canada is a Big Country, after all...


Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages