NDC (was Re: ACC vs. the SEC (plus bonus Pac Ten!!!)

1 view

Michael Noonan

Jul 14, 1992, 10:59:00 AM7/14/92
Bob Ellington writes:

> games between anybody this year? Even if it was the third best
> matchup, it beat watching Notre Dame Television Network. It was always
> the earliest game too. I want my SEC!(tm?)

Here are the Notre Dame games that NBC will be televising:

Sep 12 Michigan
Sep 26 Purdue
Oct 3 Stanford
Oct 24 BYU
Nov 7 Boston College
Nov 14 Penn State

The only real yawner is Purdue. And maybe BC, but I like watching BC
anyway, so this game doesn't bother me.
Stanford should be interesting since Walsh probably knows this Notre Dame
team better than he knows his own Stanford team. He did spend all last
year studying Holtz and the Irish as NBC's announcer. And I would never
underestimate Stanford anyway.

By the way, Notre Dame stipulated in the contract (I've been told) with
NBC that it will be allowed to select the starting times of the games,
and that early times are selected to cut down on alcohol consumption on
campus on game day. Maybe someone else knows if this is true.

Just some random ramblings...
-Mike Noonan

Randy Peppler

Jul 14, 1992, 11:39:16 AM7/14/92
In article <920714145...@dseg.ti.com> noonan@icd3 (Michael Noonan) writes:

>Here are the Notre Dame games that NBC will be televising:
>
>Sep 26 Purdue

>The only real yawner is Purdue.

Not really yawning. More like hiding your face in embarassment...

Purdue *might*, and I stress the word, be somewhat respectable
this time around...

--
-------------------------------
| Randy Peppler |

ROGER DENDY

Jul 14, 1992, 1:47:00 PM7/14/92
In article <920714145...@dseg.ti.com>, noonan@icd3 (Michael Noonan) writes...

>Here are the Notre Dame games that NBC will be televising:
>
>Sep 12 Michigan
>Sep 26 Purdue
>Oct 3 Stanford
>Oct 24 BYU
>Nov 7 Boston College
>Nov 14 Penn State

What? No Navy game? What about tradition? What about our great
institutions of higher learning who've been battling it out on the gridiron
since time immemorial? Next thing you know, they'll only be showing when
Notre Dame plays GOOD teams.

>The only real yawner is Purdue. And maybe BC, but I like watching BC
>anyway, so this game doesn't bother me.

Purdue and BC don't deserve to be on, and only one of BYU/Stanford should
be there.

I'm just amazed that NDc didn't hire Brent Musburgher and Ara Parseghian to
cheer for Notre Dame the way they used to.

>Just some random ramblings...

Randomness begets randomness. Entropy, and all.

>-Mike Noonan

R Dendy

Bob Ellington

Jul 14, 1992, 1:31:53 PM7/14/92
In article <14JUL199...@lims02.lerc.nasa.gov> acd...@lims02.lerc.nasa.gov (ROGER DENDY) writes:
>In article <920714145...@dseg.ti.com>, noonan@icd3 (Michael Noonan) writes...
>
>>Here are the Notre Dame games that NBC will be televising:
>>
>>Sep 12 Michigan
>>Sep 26 Purdue
>>Oct 3 Stanford
>>Oct 24 BYU
>>Nov 7 Boston College
>>Nov 14 Penn State

And this is just on the Notre Dame channel, are any other games of
ND gonna be on any other channel (besides the wonderful replay
on SportsSouth(channel America? which is it?))? ESPN? CBS? ABC?

Bob

Cliff Slaughterbeck

Jul 14, 1992, 1:40:53 PM7/14/92
acd...@lims02.lerc.nasa.gov (ROGER DENDY) writes:
>noonan@icd3 (Michael Noonan) writes...
>
>>Here are the Notre Dame games that NBC will be televising:
>>
>>Sep 12 Michigan
>>Sep 26 Purdue
>>Oct 3 Stanford
>>Oct 24 BYU
>>Nov 7 Boston College
>>Nov 14 Penn State
>>

>Purdue and BC don't deserve to be on, and only one of BYU/Stanford should
>be there.

I take exception to your BYU/Stanford comment. Stanford is definitely Top
20 materiel, and will provide a good game. BYU is not bad at all, and will
probably win the WAC title (again) and be ranked around 25 or so. Once
NBC and Notre Dame started sleeping together like this, they should at least
show us some games, unlike CBS who payed a billion dollars for baseball, and
then doesn't even show the public many games. Sure, I hope that NDBC loses
their shirt on this, but I will watch the Michigan, Stanford, BYU, and PSU
games if I am not otherwise occupied (you know like being at a game rather
than in front of the boob tube).

Cliff Slaughterbeck *
Dept. of Physics, FM-15 * Truth is a statue, and you are all just
University of Washington * a bunch of pigeons.
Seattle, WA 98195 *

THOM STEVENS

Jul 14, 1992, 1:21:00 PM7/14/92
In article <920714145...@dseg.ti.com>, noonan@icd3 (Michael Noonan) writes...
>By the way, Notre Dame stipulated in the contract (I've been told) with
>NBC that it will be allowed to select the starting times of the games,
>and that early times are selected to cut down on alcohol consumption on
>campus on game day. Maybe someone else knows if this is true.
>
>Just some random ramblings...
>-Mike Noonan

I understood it was done for the fans (alumni) who travel in from out of town
and always got messed up when TV changed the time of the game at the last
minute.

Patrick E Fleming

Jul 14, 1992, 5:02:37 PM7/14/92
ROGER DENDY writes:

>>Here are the Notre Dame games that NBC will be televising:

[schedule deleted]

>What? No Navy game? What about tradition? What about our great
>institutions of higher learning who've been battling it out on the gridiron
>since time immemorial? Next thing you know, they'll only be showing when
>Notre Dame plays GOOD teams.

Holy smokes! Noest thing you know they'll only show Notre Dame's home games!

>I'm just amazed that NDc didn't hire Brent Musburgher and Ara Parseghian to
>cheer for Notre Dame the way they used to.

Ara was embarassingly a homer. Brent, on the other hand, hated Notre Dame. He
loved Miami though . . .

- Pat
.
--
- Patrick E. Fleming ----------------------------------------------------------
- Department of Chemistry ----------- My imitation Elvis may not be the King --

Patrick E Fleming

Jul 14, 1992, 5:05:46 PM7/14/92
Bob Ellington asks:

>And this is just on the Notre Dame channel, are any other games of
>ND gonna be on any other channel (besides the wonderful replay
>on SportsSouth(channel America? which is it?))? ESPN? CBS? ABC?

Oh yes! Notre Dame vs. Northwestern will be made available via pay-per-view by
ABC to those viewers who do not get the game regionally.

Patrick E Fleming

Jul 14, 1992, 5:09:54 PM7/14/92
THOM STEVENS writes:

>>By the way, Notre Dame stipulated in the contract (I've been told) with
>>NBC that it will be allowed to select the starting times of the games,
>>and that early times are selected to cut down on alcohol consumption on
>>campus on game day. Maybe someone else knows if this is true.

>I understood it was done for the fans (alumni) who travel in from out of town

>and always got messed up when TV changed the time of the game at the last
>minute.

Nah - it was probably to appease the lawyers who live in fear of a lawsuit due
to some drunken tailgater running over a fan.

Randy Peppler

Jul 14, 1992, 5:38:47 PM7/14/92
>In article <920714145...@dseg.ti.com>, noonan@icd3 (Michael Noonan) writes...
>
>>Here are the Notre Dame games that NBC will be televising:
>>
>>Sep 12 Michigan
>>Sep 26 Purdue
>>Oct 3 Stanford
>>Oct 24 BYU
>>Nov 7 Boston College
>>Nov 14 Penn State
>
>Purdue and BC don't deserve to be on, and only one of BYU/Stanford should
>be there.

Well, who are you to decide which teams should or should not
be on television? I get tired as hell seeing the same old
football factories on the tube each week. It appears from what
I've seen that NBC only does the Notre Dame home games, and the
other channels have the option of doing the others. Thus, the
Purdue game was not on NBC last year. Showing them this year,
when they should be halfway decent, does not seem like the crime
of the century. Plus, it's a colorful old rivalry. I'll be
pulling for Purdue and BC. Maybe some good high school player will
get interested in them by seeing them and make a unique choice of
colleges to attend for a change...

BYU (always exciting to watch) and Stanford (Bill Walsh!) are
eminently qualified for national TV, so what's the big deal there?

Nick Laflamme

Jul 14, 1992, 5:05:17 PM7/14/92
Of course no Navy game. Navy's an away game this year, and NBC only
gets Notre Dame's home games. Some of ND's away games will almost
surely be on other networks, such as USC in late November (I'd guess ABC
for that one?) and Pitt in October (ESPN, maybe?).

Geez, if you're going to post bigoted ND bashing, at least have the
courtesy to post *informed* ND bashing. I mean, everyone and their five
year old brother knows that it's the home team in college football whose
TV contract determines which network covers the game, just like in the
NFL the away team determines whether it's NBC or CBS covering a
particular Sunday afternoon game.

Nick

J.J.Clyde

Jul 15, 1992, 1:27:53 PM7/15/92
In article <920714145...@dseg.ti.com> noonan@icd3 (Michael Noonan) writes:
>Bob Ellington writes:
>
>>Even if it was the third best (SEC) matchup, it beat watching Notre
>>Dame Television Network. It was always the earliest game too.
>>I want my SEC!(tm?)

Amen.

>Here are the Notre Dame games that NBC will be televising:
>
>Sep 12 Michigan
>Sep 26 Purdue
>Oct 3 Stanford
>Oct 24 BYU
>Nov 7 Boston College
>Nov 14 Penn State
>

>The only real yawner is Purdue. And maybe BC . . .

. . . and UMich, and Stanford, and BYU, and Pepsi State because they'll
all be playing Notre Damus.

***************
ND Haters update:
***************

Beano Cook (ESPN) got to put his two cents into Lindy's Football Annual.
Here's some excerpts from his usually predictable analysis:

***Preseason Top Five:

1. Notre Damus; 2.Penn St; 3.OU; 4.Washington; 5.Florida.

"The only way ND won't win it all is if they move into the NFC Central
Division. Even then, ND would earn a wild card berth. There's NO WAY
they don't win them all."

***Heisman Favorites:

Rick Mirer (QB/ND)
Jerome Bettis (FB/ND)
Willie Clark (RB/ND)
(no, I'm not exaggerating)

***Other sickening quotes:

"Penn St AD Jim Tarman said the networks need Penn St. He's dead wrong.
The networks only care about Notre Dame."

"Penn St Coach Joe Paterno said that Penn St is a national school. He's
dead wrong. The ONLY national school in the country is Notre Dame."

The perennial bias of Mr. Bea-no "doubt about it, I work for ND" Cook
is really a disgrace to sports media.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!! | "Well lets see, in a atom, you got ya protons,
GEAUX SAINTS!!!!!!!! | ya neutrons, ya mo'rons, and ya fig newtons."
James Clyde LSU '91 | -- Kingfish, Amos & Andy

J.J.Clyde

Jul 15, 1992, 5:14:02 PM7/15/92
Michael Noonan writes:

>By the way, Notre Dame stipulated in the contract (I've been told) with
>NBC that it will be allowed to select the starting times of the games,
>and that early times are selected to cut down on alcohol consumption on
>campus on game day. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't see the point. I mean, LSU has always had night games and we
never seem to have a problem with alcohol consumption. {:o)

Peter Reiher

Jul 16, 1992, 11:41:57 AM7/16/92
In article <1992Jul15....@usho93.hou281.chevron.com> hj...@usho77.hou281.chevron.com (J.J.Clyde) writes:
>***************
>ND Haters update:
>***************
>Beano Cook (ESPN) got to put his two cents into Lindy's Football Annual.
>Here's some excerpts from his usually predictable analysis:
>***Preseason Top Five:
>
>1. Notre Damus; 2.Penn St; 3.OU; 4.Washington; 5.Florida.
>
>"The only way ND won't win it all is if they move into the NFC Central
>Division. Even then, ND would earn a wild card berth. There's NO WAY
>they don't win them all."

Utterly ridiculous. Notre Dame is an outside shot, at best, for the
national championship next year, due to the uncertain state of their
defense. Even more ridiculous is a top 5 that doesn't feature Miami
at all. They got half the national championship last year, and were
no more ravaged by graduations than usual. They have some tough games
this year, but I doubt if that will stop them. Maybe Miami won't make the
top five at the end of the year, but that's far more unlikely than Notre
Dame failing to be #1.

>***Heisman Favorites:
>Rick Mirer (QB/ND)
>Jerome Bettis (FB/ND)
>Willie Clark (RB/ND)
>(no, I'm not exaggerating)

Mirer and Bettis have legitimate shots, but Clark is a silly choice.
He's good, but nowhere near that good.

>The perennial bias of Mr. Bea-no "doubt about it, I work for ND" Cook
>is really a disgrace to sports media.

The man is a clown, but I doubt if he works for ND. Notre Dame tends to
be much more careful about what its employees say. If Cook worked for
ND, with comments like those Lou Holtz would insist he be fired. After
all, what good does badmouthing your own team do if someone else on the
payroll is praising them to the skies? (Any predictions on how strong
Holtz will make Northwestern and Navy out to be?)

--
Peter Reiher
rei...@ashby.cs.ucla.edu

Patrick E Fleming

Jul 16, 1992, 1:10:32 PM7/16/92
Peter Reiher writes:

> (Any predictions on how strong
>Holtz will make Northwestern and Navy out to be?)

Lou will tout Northwestern's pereniel passing prowess and in the same breath
mention Notre Dame's susseptability to the pass in the past two seasons. He
won't tout Navy too loudly although he may mention that Notre Dame played its
worst game of the 1988 season vs. the Middies.

John Turman

Jul 16, 1992, 9:52:40 AM7/16/92

YAWNNNNNN who cares? If it aint the Canes it aint FOOTBALL. Who really
wants to see that holier than thou a**hole coach kneeling down and chewing
cud. Oh he's genuflecting? I'm sorry excuse my ignorance, after all I am
a fan of those paganistic, devil worshipping Canes. I didn't realize he
was such a holy man. One ND game on national TV is one too many, unless
they get out of their chickens**t mode and agree to play "Da Canes" again.
But why should they? They don't like to schedule a sure loss for their
almighty team. It's sooooo embarrassing!

John
--
The opinions expressed here are sole property of the author and are not
the opinions of Make Systems or any other entity. What a shame.

Bob Ellington

Jul 17, 1992, 10:51:39 AM7/17/92

Sorry John, I wasn't advocating that I wanted to see more ND on TV.
I was trying to see how ridiculous ND coverage was going to be this
year. It turns out there will be 9 of 11 games covered (bowl not
included here). This is insane. Maybe they won't all be national
coverage but even still....

Today I am in a good mood and will cut you a break from my normal
Cane bashing. But I am sure that you have asked for it bad enough
that someone will jump on this obvious blind spot you have towards
College football.

Bob E.

Robert Szczerba

Jul 17, 1992, 2:03:59 PM7/17/92
In article <1992Jul16.1...@makesys.com> jo...@makesys.com (John Turman) writes:

First of all, if Notre Dame was looking to have an easy schedule,
why would they add Tennessee and Florida State to their schedule
and add Washington in a few more years? Since ND has beaten Miami
2 times in the last few years I don't think Notre Dame really belives
that Miami is unbeatable. Comments like you made just reinforces my
image of Miami and their program in general.

ROGER DENDY

Jul 17, 1992, 4:12:00 PM7/17/92
In article <BrEEt...@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, pep...@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Randy Peppler) writes...

>In article <14JUL199...@lims02.lerc.nasa.gov> I wrote:
>>In article <920714145...@dseg.ti.com>, noonan@icd3 (Michael Noonan) writes...
>>
>>>Here are the Notre Dame games that NBC will be televising:
>>>
>>>Sep 12 Michigan
>>>Sep 26 Purdue
>>>Oct 3 Stanford
>>>Oct 24 BYU
>>>Nov 7 Boston College
>>>Nov 14 Penn State
>>
>>Purdue and BC don't deserve to be on, and only one of BYU/Stanford should
>>be there.
>
> Well, who are you to decide which teams should or should not
> be on television?

I'm a college football fan who has never lived in the major markets the
networks pander to.

> I get tired as hell seeing the same old football factories on the tube each
> week.

Ditto.

> It appears from what
> I've seen that NBC only does the Notre Dame home games, and the
> other channels have the option of doing the others. Thus, the
> Purdue game was not on NBC last year.

So what you're saying is, the best way for a "halfway decent" team to get
on national TeeVee is to schedule a trip to Notre Dame.

> Showing them this year,
> when they should be halfway decent, does not seem like the crime
> of the century. Plus, it's a colorful old rivalry.

I like a colorful rivalry as much as the next guy, but I like to see
rivalries which are a little less one-sided.

> I'll be
> pulling for Purdue and BC.

I like Notre Dame. I only root against them when the Powers that Be (e.g.
the Sugar Bowl) grant them privileges they haven't earned (GO Penn St!! GO
Vols!!!). If ND proves to be less than a National Championship Contender,
they don't deserve to have all their games televised, and I'll be pulling
for Purdue and BC too, and especially for Stanford and BYU.

> BYU (always exciting to watch) and Stanford (Bill Walsh!) are
> eminently qualified for national TV, so what's the big deal there?

Either BYU or Stanford has the potential to be a top 10 team, and in that
case these will be great games to watch. But I wouldn't bet at this point
that they both will. And if they are that good, there are several other
games that ought to be on that won't (at least won't all) be: BYU vs. San Diego
St, UCLA, and Penn St; Stanford vs. UCLA, Washington, USC, and Cal. My
gripe is that for your favorite school (or mine) to get any national exposure
they have to play Notre Dame, regardless of how good your school (or mine)
may or may not be.

>--
>-------------------------------
>| Randy Peppler |

R Dendy

CJohn Mace

Jul 17, 1992, 12:05:30 PM7/17/92
>Michael Noonan writes:
>>
>>By the way, Notre Dame stipulated in the contract (I've been told) with
>>NBC that it will be allowed to select the starting times of the games,
>>and that early times are selected to cut down on alcohol consumption on
>>campus on game day. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>I don't see the point. I mean, LSU has always had night games and we
>never seem to have a problem with alcohol consumption. {:o)

Not entirely true... Seems to me the last couple of times I have been
there, there were not problems with DWI's, as you guys couldn't even
find your cars, much less drive them... ;-)

cmuck

Timothy C Pitts

Jul 17, 1992, 5:19:00 PM7/17/92
In article <1992Jul14.2...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>, pfle...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Patrick E Fleming) writes...
#Ara was embarassingly a homer. Brent, on the other hand, hated Notre Dame. He
#loved Miami though . . .

Wasn't always that way. Brent used to *hate* Miami. Thought they were a
bunch of upstarts that would go back into the obscurity from which they
came. I remember a game in '86 against Oklahoma (? maybe it was '87 vs. ND)
which followed a game that Brent had just ripped the 'Canes on national tv.
The student section kept yelling "F*** you, Brent", and being the idiot that
he is, he thought they were saying "We love you, Brent": if you watched the
game on tv, it was obvious it was the former. Later, when Brent realized
that Miami was the best thing since sliced bread, he converted to the winning
side and has praised Miami ever since.
___

Timothy C. Pitts
Canada US Trade Center
Department of Geography
University at Buffalo
V262...@UBVMS.BITNET

Cliff Slaughterbeck

Jul 17, 1992, 5:59:23 PM7/17/92
My brother-in-law has a great nickname for the former CBS and now ABC
sportscaster. "Brent Moosechipper".

Gary Wayne 'Goober' Smith

Jul 18, 1992, 12:57:59 PM7/18/92
jj expounds:
-->I don't see the point. I mean, LSU has always had night games and we
-->never seem to have a problem with alcohol consumption. {:o)
-->

cmuck reiterates:
--Not entirely true... Seems to me the last couple of times I have been
--there, there were not problems with DWI's, as you guys couldn't even
--find your cars, much less drive them... ;-)

I still remember the time I came down with a couple of friends for a game
in College Station while working in Fort Worthless. We had to buy some
tickets out front and ended up right in the middle of the l. scum u.
visiting section. I have no earthly idea how that section made it out of
the stadium, much less back to Baton Rouge.

Course, I have no earthly idea how we made it out of the stadium either
as the two friends that I came with, coops from Purdue and Illinois,
introduced me to "what game...pass the alcohol." concept.

- goober (coops...college students with money) smith

Mark Mitchell

Jul 19, 1992, 11:30:35 PM7/19/92

v262...@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Timothy C Pitts) wrote:
}Wasn't always that way. Brent used to *hate* Miami.

} Later, when Brent realized
}that Miami was the best thing since sliced bread, he converted to the winning
}side and has praised Miami ever since.

You guys have Brent all wrong - he is the model of consistency.
He *always* favors the overdog. Always. Whoever goes into a
game favored to win it (or goes into a season favored to be
national champs, etc.) that's Brent's favorite team. (This
explains why he used to hate Miami and now loves them.)

--
Mark Mitchell Georgia Tech mm...@prism.gatech.edu

"I came; I saw; I got blowed up."

Patrick E Fleming

Jul 20, 1992, 11:30:50 AM7/20/92
Mark Mitchell writes:

>You guys have Brent all wrong - he is the model of consistency.
>He *always* favors the overdog. Always. Whoever goes into a
>game favored to win it (or goes into a season favored to be
>national champs, etc.) that's Brent's favorite team. (This
>explains why he used to hate Miami and now loves them.)

Give the man a cigar! I think this is it. It also explains why I can't stand
Brent Mussberger. Let teh fans root for the teams and let the announcers call
the damn game!

> "I came; I saw; I got blowed up."

Boom!

John Turman

Jul 22, 1992, 2:26:13 PM7/22/92
In article <1992Jul17.1...@news.nd.edu> rszc...@purcell.helios.nd.edu (Robert Szczerba) writes:
>In article <1992Jul16.1...@makesys.com> jo...@makesys.com (John Turman) writes:

>>YAWNNNNNN who cares? If it aint the Canes it aint FOOTBALL. Who really
>>wants to see that holier than thou a**hole coach kneeling down and chewing
>>cud. Oh he's genuflecting? I'm sorry excuse my ignorance, after all I am
>>a fan of those paganistic, devil worshipping Canes. I didn't realize he
>>was such a holy man. One ND game on national TV is one too many, unless
>>they get out of their chickens**t mode and agree to play "Da Canes" again.
>>But why should they? They don't like to schedule a sure loss for their
>>almighty team. It's sooooo embarrassing!
>>
>>John
>>--
>
>First of all, if Notre Dame was looking to have an easy schedule,
>why would they add Tennessee and Florida State to their schedule
>and add Washington in a few more years? Since ND has beaten Miami
>2 times in the last few years I don't think Notre Dame really belives
>that Miami is unbeatable. Comments like you made just reinforces my
>image of Miami and their program in general.

GOOD!