thats the worst fumble in a super bowl I've ever seen.....

michael anderson

Feb 11, 2024, 7:33:02 PMFeb 11
I mean as he tries to get through two people he's holding the ball loosely.....in one hand? wtf lmao....

the defender didn't even have to hit him or rip hard to take it away. When I saw him carrying the ball like that and engaging those two defenders I knew it was a fumble before it even happened....

just one of the more ridiculously lackadaisical attempts at ball security Ive ever seen. A player holding the ball like that in that situation will fumble almost every time.

The NOTBCS Guy

Feb 12, 2024, 9:04:53 AMFeb 12
Speaking of the Super Bowl, what's your take on one of the talking heads (was it Romo?) who thought the 49ers should have kicked off to start the OT?

Here's how I see it: at first, I agreed - but then, I realized, if the Chiefs get the ball first, score, and then the 49ers match it, the Chiefs now get the ball in a "first team that scores wins" situation. Especially with the way both teams' kickers were playing, getting the ball first was the play.

xyzzy

Feb 12, 2024, 2:47:11 PMFeb 12
I thought they did that because they thought the Chiefs defense was gassed
and they wanted to take advantage of that, plus rest their own defense.

--
“I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian,
liberal personality.” — Altie

xyzzy

Feb 12, 2024, 5:23:11 PMFeb 12
xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The NOTBCS Guy <don.p.de...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Speaking of the Super Bowl, what's your take on one of the talking heads
>> (was it Romo?) who thought the 49ers should have kicked off to start the OT?
>>
>> Here's how I see it: at first, I agreed - but then, I realized, if the
>> Chiefs get the ball first, score, and then the 49ers match it, the Chiefs
>> now get the ball in a "first team that scores wins" situation. Especially
>> with the way both teams' kickers were playing, getting the ball first was the play.
>>

> I thought they did that because they thought the Chiefs defense was gassed
> and they wanted to take advantage of that, plus rest their own defense.

Turns out they didn’t know the rules.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2024/2/12/24070402/san-francisco-49ers-receive-kick-overtime-decision-kyle-shanahan-super-bowl

JGibson

Feb 12, 2024, 10:27:12 PMFeb 12
On Monday, February 12, 2024 at 5:23:11 PM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:
> xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The NOTBCS Guy <don.p.de...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Speaking of the Super Bowl, what's your take on one of the talking heads
> >> (was it Romo?) who thought the 49ers should have kicked off to start the OT?
> >>
> >> Here's how I see it: at first, I agreed - but then, I realized, if the
> >> Chiefs get the ball first, score, and then the 49ers match it, the Chiefs
> >> now get the ball in a "first team that scores wins" situation. Especially
> >> with the way both teams' kickers were playing, getting the ball first was the play.
> >>

> > I thought they did that because they thought the Chiefs defense was gassed
> > and they wanted to take advantage of that, plus rest their own defense.
> >
> Turns out they didn’t know the rules.
>
> https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2024/2/12/24070402/san-francisco-49ers-receive-kick-overtime-decision-kyle-shanahan-super-bowl

For all this hubbub about the 49ers not knowing the rules, this game might as well have been under the old rules. FG first, other team gets possession, they scored TD, win. The only thing that really caught me off guard was that the time wasn't going to matter. TD was scored in the 1st OT quarter anyway, but had the clock hit 0:00, KC would still have had the ball until their possession was completed.

JGibson

Feb 13, 2024, 7:53:57 AMFeb 13
On Monday, February 12, 2024 at 5:23:11 PM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:
> xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The NOTBCS Guy <don.p.de...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Speaking of the Super Bowl, what's your take on one of the talking heads
> >> (was it Romo?) who thought the 49ers should have kicked off to start the OT?
> >>
> >> Here's how I see it: at first, I agreed - but then, I realized, if the
> >> Chiefs get the ball first, score, and then the 49ers match it, the Chiefs
> >> now get the ball in a "first team that scores wins" situation. Especially
> >> with the way both teams' kickers were playing, getting the ball first was the play.
> >>

> > I thought they did that because they thought the Chiefs defense was gassed
> > and they wanted to take advantage of that, plus rest their own defense.
> >
> Turns out they didn’t know the rules.
>
> https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2024/2/12/24070402/san-francisco-49ers-receive-kick-overtime-decision-kyle-shanahan-super-bowl

That article suggests that the players didn't know, but Shanahan knew and wanted the ball after they'd hopefully traded TDs or FGs and it really became sudden death.

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

Feb 13, 2024, 8:23:22 AMFeb 13
KC having a kicker with a massive and accurate leg certainly had
something to do with that. You don't want to end up on the other
side of that equation.

--
Making the simple complex, that is easy -- anyone can do that.
But to make the complex simple, awesomely simple, that is