It's officially "talk about college football" season now

The NOTBCS Guy

Jul 27, 2022, 7:14:53 PM7/27/22
Apparently, in May, the NCAA changed the bylaws so that teams can start practice 31 days before their first game instead of 29 - that's today for the Week 0 teams.

That means it's time for me to start posting my usual blatherings about actual college football...starting with a few schedule notes.

Here are the teams with all-FBS schedules:
Colorado
Florida
Houston
Maryland
Michigan
Michigan State
North Carolina
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Penn State
USC
Texas
UNLV
UTEP
Western Kentucky

On the other hand, here are the teams with two FCS games (counting James Madison as FBS, even though they're still in their FCS-to-FBS transition):
Appalachian State plays Robert Morris and The Citadel
Army plays Colgate and Villanova
Marshall plays Gardner-Webb and Norfolk State
This could be important at the end of the season, as a 6-6 team with two FCS wins is treated as a 5-7 team for bowl eligibility purposes.

The FBS schedules will be "linked" in Week 3 - that is, after week 3, every team has a chain of opponents of games already played to any other FBS team.
The longest week 3 chain is 19 games; there are two of them.
One is Oklahoma State - East Carolina:
Oklahoma State - Arizona State (9/10)
Arizona State - Eastern Michigan (9/17)
Eastern Michigan - Louisiana-Lafayette (9/10)
Louisiana-Lafayette - Rice (9/17)
Rice - USC (9/3)
USC - Fresno State (9/17)
Fresno State - Oregon State (9/10)
Oregon State - Boise State (9/3)
Boise State - New Mexico (9/9)
New Mexico - UTEP (9/17)
UTEP - New Mexico State (9/10)
New Mexico State - Minnesota (9/1)
Minnesota - Colorado (9/17)
Colorado - Air Force (9/10)
Air Force - Wyoming (9/16)
Wyoming - Illinois (8/27)
Illinois - Virginia (9/10)
Virginia - Old Dominion (9/17)
Old Dominion - East Carolina (9/10)
The other is Arizona State-North Carolina State, which starts with the ASU-EMU game and ends with East Carolina - North Carolina State (9/3).

Michael Falkner

Jul 27, 2022, 8:03:45 PM7/27/22
OK.

Ohio State.
Alabama.
Georgia.

All done.

Mike

RSFC Moderator

Jul 29, 2022, 1:22:48 PM7/29/22
On Wednesday, July 27, 2022 at 7:14:53 PM UTC-4, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:

> On the other hand, here are the teams with two FCS games (counting James Madison as FBS, even though they're still in their FCS-to-FBS transition):
> Appalachian State plays Robert Morris and The Citadel
> Army plays Colgate and Villanova
> Marshall plays Gardner-Webb and Norfolk State
> This could be important at the end of the season, as a 6-6 team with two FCS wins is treated as a 5-7 team for bowl eligibility purposes.

That seems harsh, is there a reason it's not 5-6?

The NOTBCS Guy

Jul 29, 2022, 1:50:50 PM7/29/22
> > On the other hand, here are the teams with two FCS games (counting James Madison as FBS, even though they're still in their FCS-to-FBS transition):
> > Appalachian State plays Robert Morris and The Citadel
> > Army plays Colgate and Villanova
> > Marshall plays Gardner-Webb and Norfolk State
> > This could be important at the end of the season, as a 6-6 team with two FCS wins is treated as a 5-7 team for bowl eligibility purposes.
> That seems harsh, is there a reason it's not 5-6?
5-6 and 5-7 teams are treated the same when it gets down to choosing 5-win teams for bowls. Note that a 5-8 Hawaii or WKU would not be eligible.

Irish Mike

Aug 4, 2022, 1:23:00 PM8/4/22
On Wednesday, July 27, 2022 at 7:14:53 PM UTC-4, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:
If you want to talk about college football you only need four (4) words:

The Ohio State Buckeyes.

Irish Mike

unclejr

Aug 4, 2022, 2:03:32 PM8/4/22