italian restaurant beatdown......

mianderson

Mar 13, 2011, 9:21:03 AM3/13/11
Wondering what I should have done in this situation.....

Last night I was told to pick up two large pizzas on the way to
someone's house. I notice that Papa john's has a good special of 2
any large pizzas for 20 dollars(and I like papa johns ok), so head
that way to pick them up then get a call saying everyone else hates
papa john's and I should go to this small family owned italian
restaurant in mountain brook to get the pizzas. Fine...whatever.

I walk in and it's very small and extremely crowded. Pictures of the
mayor of the town and courtney cox(who is from there and still has a
house there apparently) adorn the wall. Also it has a real hardcore
guido feel. The smell coming from the kitchen is good though so I
order to take out pizzas and pay for them.

I go back to my car and make a few phone calls then come back in 20
minutes. I was expecting to pick up the pizzas. After a few minutes
of just standing around, I ask one of the people behind the counter
about my order. She says "it's in the system"(whatever that
means....I dont see any system here. everything is done on paper).
Another 15 minutes go by and it's been 40 minutes now(!). I see other
people(maybe call ins?) walk through the door and pick up their carry
out orders, and they all seem to know the owners and everyone who
works there. After 40 minutes I press the issue harder and explain
it's been 40 minutes since I ordered. One of the co-owners comes back
and tells me that since they are a small restaurant they don't have a
lot of ovens to do pizzas in, and on saturday night it gets backed
up. Furthermore, they are a family owned business and have to make
sure they treat their regulars well(does this mean the "regulars"
orders are jumping ahead of mine). The co-owner then explains that it
is going to be awhile....maybe another hour, maybe another hour and a
half...."hard to tell" he says. I tell him I cant wait that long and
will just take my money back and head on. he says "we can't give
refunds on already placed orders".

wtf? I'm perplexed at this point. I just spent almost 40 dollars on
two overpriced pizzas(could have got pizzas for half that where I
wanted to go) and now have no pizza and no timetable for getting the
pizza. I'm standing in an area near the bar trying to plot my next
move when another of the co-owners comes up to me and says "it's
really busy tonight and if you're not going to order a drink or
anything we're going to have to ask you to make way for our
customers".

wtf?? I am a customer! I try to explain the situation to him, but he
says they aren't a chain and can't make promises on how long each
takeout order will be. He says this area(the only area where I could
feasibly wait for my pizza in the store) is for dine-in and bar people
only though.

So basically, I don't really have time to wait another hour, hour and
a half, two hours for my pizzas. Even if it did, however, I wouldn't
have any place to wait. And I can't get my money back.

I was totally screwed over....and I think the restaurant knew what
they were doing all along. Oh well, you win some and you lose some.

Im not particularly mad at the restaurant. They don't need to develop
new customer bases apparently so there really is no need to bend over
backwards for me.

So in the end I ended up spending 60 bucks on two papa johns
pizzas......

Jaybyrd

Mar 13, 2011, 9:23:14 AM3/13/11

you've got it all wrong. Pappa John's is not an "Italian Restaurant"
HTH.

mianderson

Mar 13, 2011, 9:25:15 AM3/13/11

it's usually a good idea to read the post before commenting on
it......

J.C. Watts

Mar 13, 2011, 9:26:50 AM3/13/11

Dumbass. Why did you pay before you had your product?

TimV

Mar 13, 2011, 9:28:03 AM3/13/11

Not much of a pizza either.

mianderson

Mar 13, 2011, 9:31:40 AM3/13/11

thats the way it works at most places around here for takeout.....I
think what happens is people sometimes place an order, go walk around
a little in the shopping district while waiting, and then something
else catches their eye and they change their mind.

mianderson

Mar 13, 2011, 9:36:18 AM3/13/11

I like that butter sauce they give you with the pizza, and they also
give you a couple of good jalapenos.

Between pizza hut(variable), dominoes(pretty horrid), and papa
johns....I definately prefer papa johns.

and yes some of the locally owned non-chains here are probably better,
but they can't even come close to competing on price. Yeah most of
the large pizzas on papa johns menu have a regular price of 17 dollars
or so, but in reality the average special price for a large
pizza(usually including specialty pizzas) is around 10 bucks at papa
johns. The same pizza at these locally owned places are going to be
20-25ish.....

10 dollars vs 25 dollars?

> T- Hide quoted text -

Jim Brown

Mar 13, 2011, 9:39:34 AM3/13/11

Its piss poor CS to not tell you about their wait policy when you
placed your order. Try calling back in the off hours and speaking to
the manager. No restaurant wants to lose customers, I don't care how
busy they are(perhaps some of the elites don't care, but no restaurant
in Birmingham fits that description). If they won't, don't get
mad...just inform them that you will be telling all your friends and
coworkers about your bad experience.

Me? I'd just fughetaboutit and never go near the place again.

deem...@aol.com

Mar 13, 2011, 9:43:02 AM3/13/11

Agreed, but don't tell them you're never coming back. Give them
some BS about really liking their pizza, but you were really
disappointed. You may not get a refund, but you'll probably get the
pizzas replaced.

> Me?  I'd just fughetaboutit and never go near the place again.

Agreed, but $40 is worth a phone call.

mianderson

Mar 13, 2011, 9:46:40 AM3/13/11

it's a family owned restaurant....I spoke to both owners at one point
I think. they were the ones giving me the brush off.

 No restaurant wants to lose customers, I don't care how
> busy they are(perhaps some of the elites don't care, but no restaurant
> in Birmingham fits that description).  If they won't, don't get
> mad...just inform them that you will be telling all your friends and
> coworkers about your bad experience.

i don't think they will care. they could probably sense I don't live
in mountain brook and don't frequent their restaurant much. I sense
this is the kind of restaurant where most of the customers know each
other and almost all are from mountain brook. Mountain brook is a
small suburb of birmingham(it's actually only a few minutes from
downtown), but it has it's own distinct flavor. It's a really nice
community- avg family incomes approach 200,000 dollars a year, crime
is nonexistent, 97% of the students at the public high school go to
college(including several to ivies every year), and it's 99% white,
0.2% black, 0.2% hispanic, and 0.3% asian.

I think maybe part of the brush-off was because I wasn't from mountain
brook and some of the businesses there really don't like outsiders
coming in. Hell I'd never heard of the place before and was only
there because someone just called me and told me to pick up the pizza
there....

dnrapp

Mar 13, 2011, 10:27:47 AM3/13/11
> there....- Hide quoted text -

You should have called the person who told you to pick the pizzas up
at the resturant to call the resturant and tell then they have a
friend picking some pizzas up. Since you make it sound like they have
been to it in the past and the owners cater to regular customers. That
probally would have speed up the process. Or you could have called the
cops and told them that the resturant has refused to process your
order and won't give you your money back.

mianderson

Mar 13, 2011, 10:33:31 AM3/13/11

yeah I thought about that, but my sense was that the guy who wanted
from there hadn't actually been there before and had just heard how
good they were....I think if I would have pulled that, they would have
called me out on it.

That
> probally would have speed up the process. Or you could have called the
> cops and told them that the resturant has refused to process your
> order and won't give you your money back.

eh....it's mountain brook. The idea that mountain brook police are
going to support my case over that of the co-owners(who Im sure they
all know well) is just not possible. hell like I said the picture of
the mayor and owners is on the wall. More likely is if I called the
cops they come down and make up some bs charge on me for trying to
start something.......

oddly enough, I would actually like to eat at this restaurant now.
but not takeout, and to bring a group of 3-4 other people with
me....the food smelled really good.

dnrapp

Mar 13, 2011, 10:38:05 AM3/13/11

Then you should have told the resturant that you changed your mind and
called your friends to come down and decieded to eat the pizzas there.
Then sit down at their biggest table and wait till the pizzas come
then walk out with then once they came.

mianderson

Mar 13, 2011, 10:44:06 AM3/13/11

well there were no tables available and there wasnt a pretty lengthy
wait for a table. so that was out. and my friends wouldnt have felt
like eating out anyways.

PrinceGunter

Mar 13, 2011, 10:52:46 AM3/13/11
On Mar 13, 8:21 am, mianderson <clay...@excite.com> wrote:

If it's that busy, they probably are not going to notice if you walk
out with a couple of chairs under your arm.

dnrapp

Mar 13, 2011, 10:53:20 AM3/13/11

For someone who has gone to medical school you sure don't have much
common sence. The idea is to made a scene to shame then into either
completing your order or giving you your mioney back. After such poor
service I know I would never go back to the place again no matter how
good the food ended up being

mianderson

Mar 13, 2011, 10:55:31 AM3/13/11

if I would have made a scene at a restaurant in mountain brook I would
have spent a few hours in jail........no thanks.

sometimes you just lose and things dont break you way. Im just going
to write it off and do better next time. The restaurant played their
hand perfectly.

mianderson

Mar 13, 2011, 10:56:50 AM3/13/11

well wouldnt want to take the chance of them noticing(since that would
be an evening in jail) and these chairs werent worth stealing......

dnrapp

Mar 13, 2011, 10:58:32 AM3/13/11
> hand perfectly.- Hide quoted text -

They played their hand prefectly and cause you to fold the nuts to
their bluff.

mianderson

Mar 13, 2011, 11:00:52 AM3/13/11
On Mar 13, 9:58 am, dnrapp <dnr...@aol.com> wrote:

> They played their hand prefectly and cause you to fold the nuts to
> their bluff.

what makes you think it was a bluff?

If I make a scene, there is no reason why they wouldnt call the police
and have me escorted out. After Im escorted out, there is no reason
the police wouldnt file a silly disorderly conduct charge or
whatever.......

dnrapp

Mar 13, 2011, 11:28:39 AM3/13/11

I would assume that when you placed your order they gave you a recipt
with the time stamped on it. All you had to do is rto show it to the
police and say its been over 2 hours and I have not gotten my pizzas.
I believe even in Alabama they have laws about recieving funds without
providing services.

dnrapp

Mar 13, 2011, 11:35:03 AM3/13/11
On Mar 13, 8:00 am, mianderson <mianderso...@gmail.com> wrote:

Or your friends who asked you to got to the resturant knew how it
treats strangers and sent you there to see how long you would wait for
a pizza untill you gave up or caused a scene and got arrested.

mianderson

Mar 13, 2011, 11:37:40 AM3/13/11

most likely it was just a mistake and nobody knew.......

mianderson

Mar 13, 2011, 11:36:47 AM3/13/11
On Mar 13, 10:28 am, dnrapp <dnr...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Mar 13, 8:00 am, mianderson <mianderso...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 13, 9:58 am, dnrapp <dnr...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > > They played their hand prefectly and cause you to fold the nuts to
> > > their bluff.
>
> > what makes you think it was a bluff?
>
> > If I make a scene, there is no reason why they wouldnt call the police
> > and have me escorted out.  After Im escorted out, there is no reason
> > the police wouldnt file a silly disorderly conduct charge or
> > whatever.......

> I would assume that when you placed your order they gave you a recipt
> with the time stamped on it. All you had to do is rto show it to the
> police and say its been over 2 hours and I have not gotten my pizzas.

and the restaurant owners(who in this town Im sure the police all
know.....everyone knows everyone in mountain brook) would say "well
we're backed up right now and we will work on getting around to it
when our oven space opens it".......and that would be that.

The idea that the police would, in any way, be on my side concerning
this matter is absurd.

> I believe even in Alabama they have laws about recieving funds without

> providing services.- Hide quoted text -

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Mar 13, 2011, 11:46:51 AM3/13/11
On Mar 13, 8:21 am, mianderson <clay...@excite.com> wrote:

1. I'd call the local TV stations. Establishments 'love' to see
Channel 7 roll up with their 'consumer advocate' or 'ombudsman'.
Because...

2. The fact that the restaurant has lots of 'regulars' and is hostile
to outsiders makes this seem like it's a front for the mob.

Tom Enright

Mar 13, 2011, 11:46:19 AM3/13/11

mianderson

Mar 13, 2011, 11:50:50 AM3/13/11
On Mar 13, 10:46 am, "Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger"

the mountain brook police, if it wasnt going to be a friendly story,
would just shoo it away and ask them to leave the area/premises.....

> 2.  The fact that the restaurant has lots of 'regulars' and is hostile
> to outsiders makes this seem like it's a front for the mob.

definetely not the case here....

dnrapp

Mar 13, 2011, 11:58:52 AM3/13/11

I guess we must remember that you are in Alabama and even though it is
2011, I guess things have not changed much in the last 50 plus years.
Did the resturant owners have their white hoods hanging behind the bar?

That Don Guy

Mar 13, 2011, 12:56:57 PM3/13/11
mianderson wrote:

>Wondering what I should have done in this situation.....
>
>Last night I was told to pick up two large pizzas on the way to
>someone's house. I notice that Papa john's has a good special of 2
>any large pizzas for 20 dollars(and I like papa johns ok), so head
>that way to pick them up then get a call saying everyone else hates
>papa john's and I should go to this small family owned italian
>restaurant in mountain brook to get the pizzas. Fine...whatever.
>
>I walk in and it's very small and extremely crowded. Pictures of the
>mayor of the town and courtney cox(who is from there and still has a
>house there apparently) adorn the wall. Also it has a real hardcore
>guido feel. The smell coming from the kitchen is good though so I
>order to take out pizzas and pay for them.
>
>I go back to my car and make a few phone calls then come back in 20
>minutes. I was expecting to pick up the pizzas. After a few minutes
>of just standing around, I ask one of the people behind the counter
>about my order. She says "it's in the system"(whatever that
>means....I dont see any system here. everything is done on paper).
>Another 15 minutes go by and it's been 40 minutes now(!). I see other
>people(maybe call ins?) walk through the door and pick up their carry
>out orders, and they all seem to know the owners and everyone who
>works there.

...and, for all you know, they placed their orders an hour ago (mainly
because "the regulars" would realize there would be a wait).

>After 40 minutes I press the issue harder and explain
>it's been 40 minutes since I ordered. One of the co-owners comes back
>and tells me that since they are a small restaurant they don't have a
>lot of ovens to do pizzas in, and on saturday night it gets backed
>up. Furthermore, they are a family owned business and have to make
>sure they treat their regulars well(does this mean the "regulars"
>orders are jumping ahead of mine). The co-owner then explains that it
>is going to be awhile....maybe another hour, maybe another hour and a
>half...."hard to tell" he says. I tell him I cant wait that long and
>will just take my money back and head on. he says "we can't give
>refunds on already placed orders".

"But you just said it's going to be another hour - are you telling me
my uncooked pizzas just sit somewhere for another hour?"

>wtf? I'm perplexed at this point. I just spent almost 40 dollars on
>two overpriced pizzas(could have got pizzas for half that where I
>wanted to go) and now have no pizza and no timetable for getting the
>pizza. I'm standing in an area near the bar trying to plot my next
>move when another of the co-owners comes up to me and says "it's
>really busy tonight and if you're not going to order a drink or
>anything we're going to have to ask you to make way for our
>customers".
>
>wtf?? I am a customer! I try to explain the situation to him, but he
>says they aren't a chain and can't make promises on how long each
>takeout order will be. He says this area(the only area where I could
>feasibly wait for my pizza in the store) is for dine-in and bar people
>only though.

Did you ask him where you are supposed to wait for your pizza, keeping
in mind that you can't wait outside anywhere unless someone would come
out and tell you when the pizzas were ready?

>So basically, I don't really have time to wait another hour, hour and
>a half, two hours for my pizzas. Even if it did, however, I wouldn't
>have any place to wait. And I can't get my money back.
>
>I was totally screwed over....and I think the restaurant knew what
>they were doing all along. Oh well, you win some and you lose some.
>
>Im not particularly mad at the restaurant. They don't need to develop
>new customer bases apparently so there really is no need to bend over
>backwards for me.
>
>So in the end I ended up spending 60 bucks on two papa johns
>pizzas......

You should have showed up later and asked for your pizzas, and if they
said, "You weren't here to pick them up, so we (choose one: tossed
them, gave them to someone else)," remind them that you were told that
you were told that you couldn't wait in the restaurant.

-- Don

mianderson

Mar 13, 2011, 12:57:11 PM3/13/11
> Did the resturant owners have their white hoods hanging behind the bar?-

why would you imply race had anything to do with it? Im white...the
owners were white.

The birmingham area in 2011 actually has very few racial problems/
issues....

mianderson

Mar 13, 2011, 1:02:49 PM3/13/11
On Mar 13, 11:56 am, That Don Guy <del_grande_n...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

> mianderson wrote:
> >Wondering what I should have done in this situation.....
>
> >Last night I was told to pick up two large pizzas on the way to
> >someone's house.  I notice that Papa john's has a good special of 2
> >any large pizzas for 20 dollars(and I like papa johns ok), so head
> >that way to pick them up then get a call saying everyone else hates
> >papa john's and I should go to this small family owned italian
> >restaurant in mountain brook to get the pizzas.  Fine...whatever.
>
> >I walk in and it's very small and extremely crowded.  Pictures of the
> >mayor of the town and courtney cox(who is from there and still has a
> >house there apparently) adorn the wall.  Also it has a real hardcore
> >guido feel.  The smell coming from the kitchen is good though so I
> >order to take out pizzas and pay for them.
>
> >I go back to my car and make a few phone calls then come back in 20
> >minutes.  I was expecting to pick up the pizzas.  After a few minutes
> >of just standing around, I ask one of the people behind the counter
> >about my order.  She says "it's in the system"(whatever that
> >means....I dont see any system here.  everything is done on paper).
> >Another 15 minutes go by and it's been 40 minutes now(!).  I see other
> >people(maybe call ins?) walk through the door and pick up their carry
> >out orders, and they all seem to know the owners and everyone who
> >works there.
>
> ...and, for all you know, they placed their orders an hour ago (mainly
> because "the regulars" would realize there would be a wait).

but my wait wasnt going to be an hour....my wait was going to be 40
minutes + "1 hr, 1 and a half hours, hard to tell"........

so we're looking at over 2 hrs. There is no way people are ordering
pizzas based on such a variability wait time....they wouldnt even know
when to pick them up.

> >After 40 minutes I press the issue harder and explain
> >it's been 40 minutes since I ordered.  One of the co-owners comes back
> >and tells me that since they are a small restaurant they don't have a
> >lot of ovens to do pizzas in, and on saturday night it gets backed
> >up.  Furthermore, they are a family owned business and have to make
> >sure they treat their regulars well(does this mean the "regulars"
> >orders are jumping ahead of mine).  The co-owner then explains that it
> >is going to be awhile....maybe another hour, maybe another hour and a
> >half...."hard to tell" he says.  I tell him I cant wait that long and
> >will just take my money back and head on.  he says "we can't give
> >refunds on already placed orders".
>
> "But you just said it's going to be another hour - are you telling me
> my uncooked pizzas just sit somewhere for another hour?"

he never implied they had started the order yet....he just made it
clear that once orders are placed, it's done. no going back.

> >wtf?  I'm perplexed at this point.  I just spent almost 40 dollars on
> >two overpriced pizzas(could have got pizzas for half that where I
> >wanted to go) and now have no pizza and no timetable for getting the
> >pizza.  I'm standing in an area near the bar trying to plot my next
> >move when another of the co-owners comes up to me and says "it's
> >really busy tonight and if you're not going to order a drink or
> >anything we're going to have to ask you to make way for our
> >customers".
>
> >wtf??  I am a customer!  I try to explain the situation to him, but he
> >says they aren't a chain and can't make promises on how long each
> >takeout order will be.  He says this area(the only area where I could
> >feasibly wait for my pizza in the store) is for dine-in and bar people
> >only though.
>
> Did you ask him where you are supposed to wait for your pizza, keeping
> in mind that you can't wait outside anywhere unless someone would come
> out and tell you when the pizzas were ready?

didnt matter because I didnt have time to wait another hour and a half
+ "hard to tell", but my guess is he would have said it's not their
problem.

> >So basically, I don't really have time to wait another hour, hour and
> >a half, two hours for my pizzas.  Even if it did, however, I wouldn't
> >have any place to wait.  And I can't get my money back.
>
> >I was totally screwed over....and I think the restaurant knew what
> >they were doing all along.  Oh well, you win some and you lose some.
>
> >Im not particularly mad at the restaurant.  They don't need to develop
> >new customer bases apparently so there really is no need to bend over
> >backwards for me.
>
> >So in the end I ended up spending 60 bucks on two papa johns
> >pizzas......
>
> You should have showed up later and asked for your pizzas

we would have already all eaten then....

, and if they
> said, "You weren't here to pick them up, so we (choose one: tossed
> them, gave them to someone else)," remind them that you were told that
> you were told that you couldn't wait in the restaurant.
>

> -- Don- Hide quoted text -

xyzzy

Mar 13, 2011, 1:33:02 PM3/13/11
On Mar 13, 9:21 am, mianderson <clay...@excite.com> wrote:
> [...]

> says they aren't a chain and can't make promises on how long each
> takeout order will be.  He says this area(the only area where I could
> feasibly wait for my pizza in the store) is for dine-in and bar people
> only though.
>
> So basically, I don't really have time to wait another hour, hour and
> a half, two hours for my pizzas.  Even if it did, however, I wouldn't
> have any place to wait.  And I can't get my money back.
>
> I was totally screwed over....and I think the restaurant knew what
> they were doing all along.  Oh well, you win some and you lose some.
>
> Im not particularly mad at the restaurant.  They don't need to develop
> new customer bases apparently so there really is no need to bend over
> backwards for me.
>
> So in the end I ended up spending 60 bucks on two papa johns

Initiate a charge back with your credit card company.

Didn't pay with a credit card? Lesson learned.

Dale Hicks

Mar 13, 2011, 1:33:55 PM3/13/11
In article <8965737a-27cc-46d1-859e-
8d65e0...@a11g2000pri.googlegroups.com>, miande...@gmail.com
says...

Well, go back there today. You've already foolishly given them your
money, they owe you the product. See if they have time to "get
around to it" now.

--
Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net

dnrapp

Mar 13, 2011, 1:37:48 PM3/13/11

When they saw you comming they realized they could screw with you and
you would not do anything. The one thing you could have done was you
could have bought a small soda while you were at the bar take a sip
every 5-10 minutes and they would not have any reason to make you move.

mianderson

Mar 13, 2011, 1:42:12 PM3/13/11

ok....how does that work? will the credit card company just eat the
loss, or will they try to recoup the money from the store?

> Didn't pay with a credit card?  Lesson learned.- Hide quoted text -

mianderson

Mar 13, 2011, 1:42:46 PM3/13/11
On Mar 13, 12:33 pm, Dale Hicks <a...@b.com> wrote:
> In article <8965737a-27cc-46d1-859e-
> 8d65e04c4...@a11g2000pri.googlegroups.com>, mianderso...@gmail.com

> says...
>
> > On Mar 13, 11:56 am, That Don Guy <del_grande_n...@earthlink.net>
> > wrote:
>
> > > You should have showed up later and asked for your pizzas
>
> > we would have already all eaten then....
>
> Well, go back there today.  You've already foolishly given them your
> money,

how was it foolish?

xyzzy

Mar 13, 2011, 1:54:44 PM3/13/11

The credit card processor will contact the pizza place and tell them
the charge is under dispute. At that point they will put a hold on
those funds in the pizza place's account. The pizza place can choose
to refund it or fight. If they fight and lose (and I don't see how
they could provide "proof" that they delivered the merchandise you
paid for) , the credit card processor will charge the pizza place the
$40 you're out PLUS a chargeback fee that will probably be in the
neighborhood of $75. The credit card processor is the final judge in
this dispute and for where their incentives lie just ask yourself if
they would rather have $75 in chargeback fees or not. The pizza place
can't not pay this, because the processor will simply take it out of
their account.

It might help to send them a certified letter first, outlining what
happened asking for your $40 back, to create a paper trail. Do not
mention that you'll charge back if not satisfied, it's best that they
not have a chance to concoct phony proof that they actually gave you
the pizzas before the credit card company contacts them.

The goal here isn't so much to get your $40 back as it is to cost the
merchant who screwed you over $100 in refunds and chargeback fees.

dnrapp

Mar 13, 2011, 1:58:33 PM3/13/11
> > Cranial Crusader              dgh 1138 at bell south point net- Hide quoted text -

It was foolish in that you gave them your money the left without your
pizzas. You need to go back and talk to the owners today tell them
what happened and ask what will they do to make things good for you.

dnrapp

Mar 13, 2011, 2:00:29 PM3/13/11
On Mar 13, 10:42 am, mianderson <mianderso...@gmail.com> wrote:

Read your credit card rules. A credit card compamy eating a loss? You
don't know much about business do you?

mianderson

Mar 13, 2011, 2:05:49 PM3/13/11
On Mar 13, 12:58 pm, dnrapp <dnr...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Mar 13, 10:42 am, mianderson <mianderso...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 13, 12:33 pm, Dale Hicks <a...@b.com> wrote:
>
> > > In article <8965737a-27cc-46d1-859e-
> > > 8d65e04c4...@a11g2000pri.googlegroups.com>, mianderso...@gmail.com
> > > says...

> > > Well, go back there today.  You've already foolishly given them your
> > > money,
>
> > how was it foolish?
>
> >  they owe you the product.  See if they have time to "get
>
> > > around to it" now.
>
> > > --
> > > Cranial Crusader              dgh 1138 at bell south point net- Hide quoted text -

> It was foolish in that you gave them your money the left without your
> pizzas.

no other choice......I could have waited for them to come out and then
take them, but losing the 40 bucks and having to swing by papa johns
was a far better alternative then that since I had plans later with
the people I was picking the pizzas up for.

You need to go back and talk to the owners today tell them
> what happened and ask what will they do to make things good for you.

they were there then....didnt give a crap then....dont see why they
would give a crap now

mianderson

Mar 13, 2011, 2:08:22 PM3/13/11

who is the arbitrator.....the cc company?

I don't even know that I have the right to my money back.......after
all I did leave, and they never stated they wouldnt give me the pizzas
eventually. Just that they were backed up and they couldnt predict
how long it would be.

> It might help to send them a certified letter first, outlining what
> happened asking for your $40 back, to create a paper trail.  Do not
> mention that you'll charge back if not satisfied, it's best that they
> not have a chance to concoct phony proof that they actually gave you
> the pizzas before the credit card company contacts them.
>
> The goal here isn't so much to get your $40 back as it is to cost the

> merchant who screwed you over $100 in refunds and chargeback fees.- Hide quoted text -

dnrapp

Mar 13, 2011, 2:26:12 PM3/13/11

Then you just chalk it up to a lesson to live and learn from. You lost
$40 plus over an hour of your time. Tell your friends that when they
ask you to bring something with you they will be stuck with what brand
you want to bring.

xyzzy

Mar 13, 2011, 2:32:58 PM3/13/11

> . Tell your friends that when they

> ask you to bring something with you they will be stuck with what brand
> you want to bring.

This. Especially since they apparently didn't share in the cost.

deem...@aol.com

Mar 13, 2011, 2:34:44 PM3/13/11

Scew that...he'd already spent $40. He was a paying customer.

mianderson

Mar 13, 2011, 2:38:16 PM3/13/11

but I didnt learn anything from it. Given the situation there is no
way I could have predicted what happened would happen. Well I guess
I did learn not to go there again for takeout

dnrapp

Mar 13, 2011, 2:39:24 PM3/13/11
>    Scew that...he'd already spent $40. He was a paying customer.- Hide quoted text -

I know, that is not what I would have done. But he said he was not
going to be more forcefull about getting his pizzas so I gave him
another option.

Antonio Veranos

Mar 13, 2011, 2:43:23 PM3/13/11
[mianderson <cla...@excite.com>]
[Sun, 13 Mar 2011 11:38:16 -0700 (PDT)]

: but I didnt learn anything from it. Given the situation there is no

: way I could have predicted what happened would happen. Well I guess
: I did learn not to go there again for takeout

You should have learned to ask about the wait time before you order/pay.

--
Antonio Veranos

P-A-U-L-I-E: Six Letters of Inspiration

Mar 13, 2011, 2:46:19 PM3/13/11
> [...]

> says they aren't a chain and can't make promises on how long each
> takeout order will be.  He says this area(the only area where I could
> feasibly wait for my pizza in the store) is for dine-in and bar people
> only though.
>
> So basically, I don't really have time to wait another hour, hour and
> a half, two hours for my pizzas.  Even if it did, however, I wouldn't
> have any place to wait.  And I can't get my money back.
>
> I was totally screwed over....and I think the restaurant knew what
> they were doing all along.  Oh well, you win some and you lose some.
>
> Im not particularly mad at the restaurant.  They don't need to develop
> new customer bases apparently so there really is no need to bend over
> backwards for me.
>
> So in the end I ended up spending 60 bucks on two papa johns

I suspect one of two things:

1) you were copping a total douchebag attitude with them, and they
were showing you your place

2) you have frequented this establishment in the past and have not
adequately tipped, and they were showing you your place.

mianderson

Mar 13, 2011, 2:50:20 PM3/13/11
On Mar 13, 1:43 pm, Antonio Veranos <summerstorm0...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [mianderson <clay...@excite.com>]

yep, thats the one thing I would take back......

I suspect they would have been partially honest(given me a more
realistic time frame but then a "but we dont know for sure and cant
guarantee anything" modifier).....

> --
> Antonio Veranos

P-A-U-L-I-E: Six Letters of Inspiration

Mar 13, 2011, 2:57:40 PM3/13/11
On Mar 13, 2:46 pm, "P-A-U-L-I-E: Six Letters of Inspiration"
> adequately tipped, and they were showing you your place.- Hide quoted text -

In short - rude behaviour and/or cheap tipping result in poor
service. You've already said you don't tip well, and your attitude
with the "little people" serving the pizza is probably poor.

mianderson

Mar 13, 2011, 3:05:17 PM3/13/11
On Mar 13, 1:57 pm, "P-A-U-L-I-E: Six Letters of Inspiration"

I had never been there before.....these people had never served me
before.

P-A-U-L-I-E: Six Letters of Inspiration

Mar 13, 2011, 3:13:09 PM3/13/11

It wasn't a tipping issue then. It was an attitude issue

Jaybyrd

Mar 13, 2011, 4:20:59 PM3/13/11
On Mar 13, 9:25 am, mianderson <clay...@excite.com> wrote:
> > you've got it all wrong.  Pappa John's is not an "Italian Restaurant"
> > HTH.
>
> it's usually a good idea to read the post before commenting on
> it......

It's a good idea to think before you start a thread

mianderson

Mar 13, 2011, 4:23:06 PM3/13/11

well it's pretty hard to make a guess on whether I did or didn't when
you(clearly) didn't even read it........

P-A-U-L-I-E: Six Letters of Inspiration

Mar 13, 2011, 4:24:32 PM3/13/11
On Mar 13, 3:13 pm, "P-A-U-L-I-E: Six Letters of Inspiration"
> It wasn't a tipping issue then.  It was an attitude issue- Hide quoted text -

jesus, they probably special-sauced your pizzas too.....

Antonio Veranos

Mar 13, 2011, 4:25:01 PM3/13/11
[mianderson <miande...@yahoo.com>]
[Sun, 13 Mar 2011 13:23:06 -0700 (PDT)]

: > It's a good idea to think before you start a thread

:
: well it's pretty hard to make a guess on whether I did

Not really, kiddo... there is such a thing as precedent.

--
Antonio Veranos

mianderson

Mar 13, 2011, 4:33:39 PM3/13/11
On Mar 13, 3:25 pm, Antonio Veranos <summerstorm0...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [mianderson <mianderso...@yahoo.com>]

> [Sun, 13 Mar 2011 13:23:06 -0700 (PDT)]
>
> : > It's a good idea to think before you start a thread
> :
> : well it's pretty hard to make a guess on whether I did
>
> Not really, kiddo... there is such a thing as precedent.

eh.....jaybird's comment was just a retaliation from where I pointed
out that I never did refer to papa john's as an italian
restaurant.....

a more reasonable person would have just dropped it and realized he
was wrong.

> --
> Antonio Veranos

mianderson

Mar 13, 2011, 4:34:22 PM3/13/11
On Mar 13, 3:24 pm, "P-A-U-L-I-E: Six Letters of Inspiration"

is there any particular reason you keep replying to your own posts?

Jaybyrd

Mar 13, 2011, 4:44:30 PM3/13/11

I didn't "retaliate". I just pointed out that you are always talking
about enjoying the good life, yet you expect Papa John's to be an
Italian Restaurant. Italians everywhere are laughing.

P-A-U-L-I-E: Six Letters of Inspiration

Mar 13, 2011, 4:49:26 PM3/13/11

I'm adding and expanding information for you.

Antonio Veranos

Mar 13, 2011, 4:51:24 PM3/13/11
[mianderson <miande...@yahoo.com>]
[Sun, 13 Mar 2011 13:33:39 -0700 (PDT)]

: > : > It's a good idea to think before you start a thread
: > :
: > : well it's pretty hard to make a guess on whether I did
: >
: > Not really, kiddo... there is such a thing as precedent.
:
:
: eh.....jaybird's comment was just a retaliation from where I pointed
: out that I never did refer to papa john's as an italian
: restaurant.....

He didn't retaliate at all... he pointed out that you're a fool, albeit in a
harmless way that didn't seem to have much malice behind it.

: a more reasonable person would have just dropped it and realized he
: was wrong.

You have very little idea about how reasonable people behave.

--
Antonio Veranos

mianderson

Mar 13, 2011, 4:52:52 PM3/13/11

no it's me who is still laughing because you are still intent on
commenting on information in the post that you haven't read!!

mianderson

Mar 13, 2011, 4:55:53 PM3/13/11
On Mar 13, 3:51 pm, Antonio Veranos <summerstorm0...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [mianderson <mianderso...@yahoo.com>]
> [Sun, 13 Mar 2011 13:33:39 -0700 (PDT)]
>
> : > : > It's a good idea to think before you start a thread
> : > :
> : > : well it's pretty hard to make a guess on whether I did
> : >
> : > Not really, kiddo... there is such a thing as precedent.
> :
> :
> : eh.....jaybird's comment was just a retaliation from where I pointed
> : out that I never did refer to papa john's as an italian
> : restaurant.....
>
> He didn't retaliate at all... he pointed out that you're a fool

but he only did so because he was assuming information that turned out
to be incorrect(because he didn't bother to read the post)......

he's pointed out that Im a fool many times before. Him pointing it
out again randomly in this context makes it obvious it was done so
simply because he was corrected...ie retaliation.

mianderson

Mar 13, 2011, 4:57:00 PM3/13/11
On Mar 13, 3:49 pm, "P-A-U-L-I-E: Six Letters of Inspiration"

hehe, the "jesus....." part made it seems like you were responding to
new information that evoked a new emotion.....

P-A-U-L-I-E: Six Letters of Inspiration

Mar 13, 2011, 5:09:49 PM3/13/11

???

Antonio Veranos

Mar 13, 2011, 5:22:30 PM3/13/11
[mianderson <miande...@yahoo.com>]
[Sun, 13 Mar 2011 13:55:53 -0700 (PDT)]

: > : eh.....jaybird's comment was just a retaliation from where I pointed

: > : out that I never did refer to papa john's as an italian
: > : restaurant.....
: >
: > He didn't retaliate at all... he pointed out that you're a fool
:
: but he only did so because he was assuming information that turned out
: to be incorrect(because he didn't bother to read the post)......
:
: he's pointed out that Im a fool many times before. Him pointing it
: out again randomly in this context makes it obvious it was done so
: simply because he was corrected...ie retaliation.

Nope, it was clearly because you're a fool.

You demonstrate that you know this by your dishonest snip job above.

You lose yet again... sad, given that no competition was in progress.

--
Antonio Veranos

Jaybyrd

Mar 13, 2011, 5:33:21 PM3/13/11

laugh all you want. You're talking about being made at a pizza parlor
that isn't an "Italian Restaurant" as you claim. Seems like you're
getting pretty mad about this whole thing. Maybe you should have a
pizza you can really enjoy and you'll feel better!

That Don Guy

Mar 13, 2011, 5:56:33 PM3/13/11
mianderson wrote:

> That Don Guy wrote:

>> mianderson wrote:
>> >Wondering what I should have done in this situation.....
>>
>> >Last night I was told to pick up two large pizzas on the way to
>> >someone's house.  I notice that Papa john's has a good special of 2
>> >any large pizzas for 20 dollars(and I like papa johns ok), so head
>> >that way to pick them up then get a call saying everyone else hates
>> >papa john's and I should go to this small family owned italian
>> >restaurant in mountain brook to get the pizzas.  Fine...whatever.
>>
>> >I walk in and it's very small and extremely crowded.  Pictures of the
>> >mayor of the town and courtney cox(who is from there and still has a
>> >house there apparently) adorn the wall.  Also it has a real hardcore
>> >guido feel.  The smell coming from the kitchen is good though so I
>> >order to take out pizzas and pay for them.
>>
>> >I go back to my car and make a few phone calls then come back in 20
>> >minutes.  I was expecting to pick up the pizzas.  After a few minutes
>> >of just standing around, I ask one of the people behind the counter
>> >about my order.  She says "it's in the system"(whatever that
>> >means....I dont see any system here.  everything is done on paper).
>> >Another 15 minutes go by and it's been 40 minutes now(!).  I see other
>> >people(maybe call ins?) walk through the door and pick up their carry
>> >out orders, and they all seem to know the owners and everyone who
>> >works there.
>>

>> ...and, for all you know, they placed their orders an hour ago (mainly
>> because "the regulars" would realize there would be a wait).
>
>but my wait wasnt going to be an hour....my wait was going to be 40
>minutes + "1 hr, 1 and a half hours, hard to tell"........
>
>so we're looking at over 2 hrs. There is no way people are ordering
>pizzas based on such a variability wait time....they wouldnt even know
>when to pick them up.

That's just it - the call-ins are given some idea when their pizzas
should be ready (and on Saturday nights, I have had my share of "it'll
be an hour"), and since there was limited oven space, the wait for
"drop-ins" would necessarily be longer.

>> >After 40 minutes I press the issue harder and explain
>> >it's been 40 minutes since I ordered.  One of the co-owners comes back
>> >and tells me that since they are a small restaurant they don't have a
>> >lot of ovens to do pizzas in, and on saturday night it gets backed
>> >up.  Furthermore, they are a family owned business and have to make
>> >sure they treat their regulars well(does this mean the "regulars"
>> >orders are jumping ahead of mine).  The co-owner then explains that it
>> >is going to be awhile....maybe another hour, maybe another hour and a
>> >half...."hard to tell" he says.  I tell him I cant wait that long and
>> >will just take my money back and head on.  he says "we can't give
>> >refunds on already placed orders".
>>

>> "But you just said it's going to be another hour - are you telling me
>> my uncooked pizzas just sit somewhere for another hour?"
>
>he never implied they had started the order yet....he just made it
>clear that once orders are placed, it's done. no going back.

And you should have asked him why this was the case. (However, now
that you have explained that you paid for it with a credit card, that
does change things slightly - they would have to jump through the
hoops of canceling the charge.)

>> You should have showed up later and asked for your pizzas
>
>we would have already all eaten then....

Ever hear of these great new inventions called "refrigerators" and
"freezers"? I'm not saying that you had to share them with your
friends - after all, you paid for them.

Lesson learned: ALWAYS find out in advance how long it will take. Of
course, nothing stops them from claiming, "It'll be ready in 30
minutes," and then, when you get there, they'll want the money before
answering any questions, and then say, "We're sorry, it'll be at least
another 90 minutes - and no refund."

-- Don

deem...@aol.com

Mar 13, 2011, 6:12:41 PM3/13/11
On Mar 13, 2:08 pm, mianderson <clay...@excite.com> wrote:
> On Mar 13, 12:54 pm, xyzzy <xyzzy.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > ok....how does that work?  will the credit card company just eat the
> > > loss, or will they try to recoup the money from the store?
>
> > The credit card processor will contact the pizza place and tell them
> > the charge is under dispute.  At that point they will put a hold on
> > those funds in the pizza place's account.  The pizza place can choose
> > to refund it or fight.  If they fight and lose (and I don't see how
> > they could provide "proof" that they delivered the merchandise you
> > paid for) , the credit card processor will  charge the pizza place the
> > $40 you're out PLUS a chargeback fee that will probably be in the
> > neighborhood of $75.  The credit card processor is the final judge in
> > this dispute and for where their incentives lie just ask yourself if
> > they would rather have $75 in chargeback fees or not.  The pizza place
> > can't not pay this, because the processor will simply take it out of
> > their account.
>
> who is the arbitrator.....the cc company?
>
> I don't even know that I have the right to my money back.......after
> all I did leave, and they never stated they wouldnt give me the pizzas
> eventually.  Just that they were backed up and they couldnt predict
> how long it would be.

If you asked for your money back and were refused, you can get it
back.

Jaybyrd

Mar 13, 2011, 6:20:17 PM3/13/11
> I thought this was going to be about this:
>
> http://jammiewearingfool.blogspot.com/2011/03/bleep-you-and-mind-your...
>
> -Tom Enright

I'm amazed at how you can change any subject into a racial issue.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Mar 13, 2011, 8:04:02 PM3/13/11

Hey Mia - can you re-post that classic with which you made your grand
debut as a rsfcker? You know the one I'm talking about - the trucker
thingie.

Just like your radical transformation from a Kos man to a Beck man, you
seem to have gone from victimizing hapless people to being the hapless
victim. This is all just so fascinating. As a
psychologist/psychiatrist/counselor/whatever-the-hell-you-are, you could
even write a thesis on the subject!

--
Lighthouses are more helpful than churches.
-- Benjamin Franklin

Jim Brown

Mar 13, 2011, 9:14:05 PM3/13/11

You are correct. This is on them, not you...unless you were acting
like a smug ass(like you've admitted to being a few times in past
restaurants) and someone decided to teach you a lesson. Well, it'd
still be on them, but that would explain a few things.

Jim Brown

Mar 13, 2011, 9:15:13 PM3/13/11

Dood. Grab the pliers and remove the hook already.

PrinceGunter

Mar 13, 2011, 10:40:34 PM3/13/11
On Mar 13, 9:56 am, mianderson <mianderso...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 13, 9:52 am, PrinceGunter <slippymississi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > If it's that busy, they probably are not going to notice if you walk
> > out with a couple of chairs under your arm.
>
> well wouldnt want to take the chance of them noticing(since that would
> be an evening in jail) and these chairs werent worth stealing......

Well, if you're so worried about legal trouble ... they can't arrest
you for having eruptive fecal incontinence in their bathroom. I'm
sure with a little creativity you could make a mess that would have
made them wish they had given you your 40 bucks.

Bobs yer uncle

Mar 13, 2011, 11:18:21 PM3/13/11
On Mar 13, 11:00 am, mianderson <mianderso...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 13, 9:58 am, dnrapp <dnr...@aol.com> wrote:
>

> > They played their hand prefectly and cause you to fold the nuts to
> > their bluff.
>
> what makes you think it was a bluff?
>
> If I make a scene, there is no reason why they wouldnt call the police
> and have me escorted out.  After Im escorted out, there is no reason
> the police wouldnt file a silly disorderly conduct charge or
> whatever.......

What collosal pussy you are.

"Making a scene" over a ripoff like that is not a jailable offense.

mianderson

Mar 14, 2011, 12:40:20 AM3/14/11

you're under the impression that cops always do the right thing......

Jaybyrd

Mar 14, 2011, 7:43:04 AM3/14/11
On Mar 14, 12:40 am, mianderson <clay...@excite.com> wrote:
> On Mar 13, 10:18 pm, Bobs yer uncle <mcgrisw...@aol.com> wrote:

> you're under the impression that cops always do the right thing......

I guarantee they would at least know that Papa John's doesn't qualify
as an "Italian Restaurant".

P-A-U-L-I-E: Six Letters of Inspiration

Mar 14, 2011, 8:45:55 AM3/14/11
On Mar 13, 5:09 pm, "P-A-U-L-I-E: Six Letters of Inspiration"

breaker-breaker?

tom_sa...@yahoo.com

Mar 14, 2011, 10:17:43 AM3/14/11
On Mar 13, 9:21 am, mianderson <clay...@excite.com> wrote:
> Wondering what I should have done in this situation.....
>
> Last night I was told to pick up two large pizzas on the way to
> someone's house.  I notice that Papa john's has a good special of 2
> any large pizzas for 20 dollars(and I like papa johns ok), so head
> that way to pick them up then get a call saying everyone else hates
> papa john's and I should go to this small family owned italian
> restaurant in mountain brook to get the pizzas.  Fine...whatever.
>
> I walk in and it's very small and extremely crowded.  Pictures of the
> mayor of the town and courtney cox(who is from there and still has a
> house there apparently) adorn the wall.  Also it has a real hardcore
> guido feel.  The smell coming from the kitchen is good though so I
> order to take out pizzas and pay for them.

> <snip>

You're either making this up or not telling the whole story.

High-profile, low-profile, whatever ... restaurants usually want to
make a good impression and a basic function is to tell expectations if
things will take unusually long. An hour and a half or more for a
pizza? Something's amiss or this is an extremely well-known place ...
but that contradicts a bad customer service intention by not telling
you how long it will be. $40 for 2 pizzas?

This just doesn't add up ... better restaurants that have volume have
the capacity or the customer service to make people happy. Otherwise,
they would not have the volume, reputation or be able to charge a
premium for their product. If they're up-and-coming, they will at
least tell you what the wait time is up-front.

If your "friends" told you to go there, then they likely had
experience at the place ... which further contradicts the situation
because ordering pizza usually implies fast, or at least timely,
service over a 2-hour wait for expensive pizza.

P-A-U-L-I-E: Six Letters of Inspiration

Mar 14, 2011, 10:18:41 AM3/14/11
On Mar 14, 10:17 am, "tom_sawye...@yahoo.com" <tom_sawye...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

bottom line, he probably went in there copping an attitude with the
"little people" and he got a lesson.

DanS.

Mar 14, 2011, 8:24:38 PM3/14/11
Jim Brown added the following to the totality of all human wisdom on
3/13/2011 in writing

> On Mar 13, 8:21 am, mianderson <clay...@excite.com> wrote:
>> Wondering what I should have done in this situation.....
>>
>> Last night I was told to pick up two large pizzas on the way to
>> someone's house.  I notice that Papa john's has a good special of 2
>> any large pizzas for 20 dollars(and I like papa johns ok), so head
>> that way to pick them up then get a call saying everyone else hates
>> papa john's and I should go to this small family owned italian
>> restaurant in mountain brook to get the pizzas.  Fine...whatever.
>>
>> I walk in and it's very small and extremely crowded.  Pictures of the
>> mayor of the town and courtney cox(who is from there and still has a
>> house there apparently) adorn the wall.  Also it has a real hardcore
>> guido feel.  The smell coming from the kitchen is good though so I
>> order to take out pizzas and pay for them.
>>
> Its piss poor CS to not tell you about their wait policy when you
> placed your order. Try calling back in the off hours and speaking to
> the manager. No restaurant wants to lose customers, I don't care how
> busy they are(perhaps some of the elites don't care, but no restaurant
> in Birmingham fits that description). If they won't, don't get
> mad...just inform them that you will be telling all your friends and
> coworkers about your bad experience.
>

> Me? I'd just fughetaboutit and never go near the place again.

That's what the BBB is for.

DanS.

Mar 14, 2011, 8:24:43 PM3/14/11
mianderson added the following to the totality of all human wisdom on
3/13/2011 in writing

> On Mar 13, 9:58 am, dnrapp <dnr...@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>> They played their hand prefectly and cause you to fold the nuts to
>> their bluff.
>
> what makes you think it was a bluff?
>
> If I make a scene, there is no reason why they wouldnt call the police
> and have me escorted out. After Im escorted out, there is no reason
> the police wouldnt file a silly disorderly conduct charge or
> whatever.......

I would have made a scene. Of course, you don't make many friends that
way, but you generally get a response.

DanS.

Mar 14, 2011, 8:24:47 PM3/14/11
xyzzy added the following to the totality of all human wisdom on
3/13/2011 in writing

> On Mar 13, 1:42 pm, mianderson <mianderso...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mar 13, 12:33 pm, xyzzy <xyzzy.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Initiate a charge back with your credit card company.
>>
>> ok....how does that work?  will the credit card company just eat the
>> loss, or will they try to recoup the money from the store?
>
> The credit card processor will contact the pizza place and tell them
> the charge is under dispute. At that point they will put a hold on
> those funds in the pizza place's account. The pizza place can choose
> to refund it or fight. If they fight and lose (and I don't see how
> they could provide "proof" that they delivered the merchandise you
> paid for) , the credit card processor will charge the pizza place the
> $40 you're out PLUS a chargeback fee that will probably be in the
> neighborhood of $75. The credit card processor is the final judge in
> this dispute and for where their incentives lie just ask yourself if
> they would rather have $75 in chargeback fees or not. The pizza place
> can't not pay this, because the processor will simply take it out of
> their account.
>
> It might help to send them a certified letter first, outlining what
> happened asking for your $40 back, to create a paper trail. Do not
> mention that you'll charge back if not satisfied, it's best that they
> not have a chance to concoct phony proof that they actually gave you
> the pizzas before the credit card company contacts them.
>
> The goal here isn't so much to get your $40 back as it is to cost the
> merchant who screwed you over $100 in refunds and chargeback fees.

These are illegal in Indiana.

deem...@aol.com

Mar 14, 2011, 8:30:59 PM3/14/11

The BBB doesn't really do much.

DanS.

Mar 14, 2011, 8:33:37 PM3/14/11
deem...@aol.com added the following to the totality of all human
wisdom on 3/14/2011 in writing

They will at the very least get an acknowledgement and the record is
permanant. So if there is not resolution, the business gets a dimished
rating.

deem...@aol.com

Mar 14, 2011, 8:37:14 PM3/14/11
On Mar 14, 8:33 pm, DanS. <dslaughREM...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> deemsb...@aol.com added the following to the totality of all human

How many people actually check the BBB for something like a
restaurant? I can see it for large purchases, but not small ones. One
idea might be a call to the local TV station which has one of those
consumer crusader reporters. Getting that story on the nightly news is
worth a few bucks. (That is, if the whole thing actually happened)

DanS.

Mar 14, 2011, 8:40:56 PM3/14/11
deem...@aol.com added the following to the totality of all human

It would be cool if the BBB posted business ratings on the web, like
Angie's List, except with a robust network and a higher level of
respectability.

deem...@aol.com

Mar 14, 2011, 8:49:48 PM3/14/11

Yeah, but I'm still a little skeptical about the whole thing. Not
only given the source, but I've never seen a restaurant cavalierly
shit on customers. It's just lousy business that will catch up to them
in the long run. I don't care how busy and popular your store
is...treat enough people like crap and they'll go elsewhere....as will
their friends. It's not like there aren't a hundred other choices out
there.

PrinceGunter

Mar 14, 2011, 10:05:24 PM3/14/11

Dude, it's Mia we're talking about. Can you imagine the attitude he
took with the help?

That being said ... I still wouldn't have put up with it, after the
owners basically told me I was going to take it and like it. There
would have been 40 bucks worth of fun had on their part one way or the
other.

xyzzy

Mar 14, 2011, 10:13:03 PM3/14/11
On Mar 14, 8:24 pm, DanS. <dslaughREM...@yahoo.com> wrote:

1. He's not in Indiana.

2. I doubt Indiana has the jurisdiction to make such a regulation
stick. Maybe if the bank, processor and merchant are all Indiana
companies and none of the transaction crosses state lines in any way,
even electronically. Hell, NC has a law that caps credit card
interest at 18% but that had no effect on what Citibank (South Dakota)
NA charges its NC customers, for example.

DanS.

Mar 14, 2011, 10:19:51 PM3/14/11
xyzzy added the following to the totality of all human wisdom on
3/14/2011 in writing

No, you can't get that coverage here. Think of it as insurance.

SNORKY

Mar 15, 2011, 8:19:04 PM3/15/11

You could always call in a very large order, and then when they call
to tell you it's done say "I'm going to give preference to one of my
*regular* restaurants, you understand I'm sure."