And Take That Bust Of Churchill Home With You...

1 view

Tom Enright

Mar 5, 2009, 7:51:29 AM3/5/09
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/iain_martin/blog/2009/03/04/president_barack_obama_just_plain_rude_to_britain_dont_call_us_in_future

-or-

http://tinyurl.com/b38w48

"But on this side of the Atlantic the whole business looked pretty
demeaning. The morning papers and TV last night featured plenty of
comment focused on the White House's very odd and, frankly,
exceptionally rude treatment of a British PM. Squeezing in a meeting,
denying him a full press conference with flags etc. The British press
corps, left outside for an hour in the cold, can take it and their
privations are of limited concern to the public."

And this:

http://tigerhawk.blogspot.com/2009/03/from-bad-hands-to-all-thumbs.html

"The Czechs and the Poles went out on a limb, exposed themselves to
Russian pressure, and we have shown that Eastern Europe is not as
sovereign as it appears if the Russian influence is there, and we will
acquiesce in what they consider their own sphere of influence.

This administration has prided itself, flattered itself on deploying
smart diplomacy. "Smart diplomacy" is a meaningless idea, but if it
has any meaning at all, it is not ever doing something as humiliating,
amateurish, and stupid as this."

Whatever might be said about Bush era diplomacy, Dubya never sold our
allies down the river. Disagreement is one thing; converting such
stalwarts as the Czechs and the Poles into bargaining chips is quite
another.

-Tom Enright

"But what I don't understand from Governor Jindal is what would he do?
In Louisiana, there's 400 people a day losing their jobs. What's he
doing?"
-Joe Biden on Jindal's response to Obama's SOTU, actually Louisiana
had gained a total of 3700 jobs

John Rogers

Mar 5, 2009, 2:59:45 PM3/5/09
Hey, Tom Enright <freddy...@yahoo.com>... keep the change, you
filthy animal.

>http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/iain_martin/blog/2009/03/04/president_barack_obama_just_plain_rude_to_britain_dont_call_us_in_future
>
>-or-
>
>http://tinyurl.com/b38w48
>
>"But on this side of the Atlantic the whole business looked pretty
>demeaning. The morning papers and TV last night featured plenty of
>comment focused on the White House's very odd and, frankly,
>exceptionally rude treatment of a British PM. Squeezing in a meeting,
>denying him a full press conference with flags etc. The British press
>corps, left outside for an hour in the cold, can take it and their
>privations are of limited concern to the public."
>
>And this:
>
>http://tigerhawk.blogspot.com/2009/03/from-bad-hands-to-all-thumbs.html
>
>"The Czechs and the Poles went out on a limb, exposed themselves to
>Russian pressure, and we have shown that Eastern Europe is not as
>sovereign as it appears if the Russian influence is there, and we will
>acquiesce in what they consider their own sphere of influence.
>
>This administration has prided itself, flattered itself on deploying
>smart diplomacy. "Smart diplomacy" is a meaningless idea, but if it
>has any meaning at all, it is not ever doing something as humiliating,
>amateurish, and stupid as this."
>
>Whatever might be said about Bush era diplomacy, Dubya never sold our
>allies down the river. Disagreement is one thing; converting such
>stalwarts as the Czechs and the Poles into bargaining chips is quite
>another.

Heh... how about this one.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1159627/Just-wanted-Barack-Obamas-blockbuster-gift-25-DVDs-Brown-reaffirm-special-relationship.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/cgk4qk

He had put clearly great thought into giving the U.S. President lavish
gifts to signify Britain's 'special relationship' with the U.S.

During his historic trip to Washington, Gordon Brown gave Barack Obama
an ornamental pen holder made from the timbers of the Victorian
anti-slave ship HMS Gannet - once called HMS President.

The unique present delighted Mr Obama because oak from the Gannet's
sister ship, HMS Resolute, was carved to make a desk that already
takes place in the Oval Office in the White House, after being
presented by Britain to the US in 1880.

The Prime Minister went to the trouble of hunting down the perfect
gift after becoming the first world leader invited to the White House
by the new Commander In Chief.

So it would be perfectly understandable if Mr Brown felt a little
underwhelmed at the official gift he received in return.

For despite being leader of the world's most bountiful nation,
President Obama handed over nothing more thought-provoking than 25
classic American films on DVD.

It was the equivalent of receiving a pair of socks from an unfamiliar
aunt at Christmas - and a less-than-glowing affirmation of the UK-US
bond.

Despite being a 'special collector's box set', any film buff could
have picked up the movies from their local video store for just £250.

It is not clear what the Prime Minister - not believed to a great fan
of cinema - thought about receiving the films...

Mr Brown also took to Washington a framed commission for HMS Resolute,
a vessel that came to mark Anglo-US peace when it was saved from ice
packs by Americans and given to Queen Victoria.

He also gave a first edition set of the seven-volume classic biography
of Churchill by Sir Martin Gilbert.

Mr Brown and his wife also showered gifts on the Obama children giving
Sasha and Malia an outfit each from Topshop and six children's books
by British authors which are shortly to be published in America.

In return, the Obamas gave the Browns two models of the presidential
helicopter, Marine One, to take home to sons Fraser and John.

John M. Rogers
AU Class of 1985
The Al Del Greco of Atlanta

"War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded
state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war
is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable
creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the
exertions of better men than himself." (John Stuart Mill)

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Mar 5, 2009, 3:03:21 PM3/5/09
On Mar 5, 1:59 pm, John Rogers <tiger7...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hey, Tom Enright <freddy_ha...@yahoo.com>... keep the change, you
> filthy animal.
>

> >http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/iain_martin/blog/2009/03/04/president_ba...

> >-or-
>
> >http://tinyurl.com/b38w48
>
> >"But on this side of the Atlantic the whole business looked pretty
> >demeaning. The morning papers and TV last night featured plenty of
> >comment focused on the White House's very odd and, frankly,
> >exceptionally rude treatment of a British PM. Squeezing in a meeting,
> >denying him a full press conference with flags etc. The British press
> >corps, left outside for an hour in the cold, can take it and their
> >privations are of limited concern to the public."
>
> >And this:
>
> >http://tigerhawk.blogspot.com/2009/03/from-bad-hands-to-all-thumbs.html
>
> >"The Czechs and the Poles went out on a limb, exposed themselves to
> >Russian pressure, and we have shown that Eastern Europe is not as
> >sovereign as it appears if the Russian influence is there, and we will
> >acquiesce in what they consider their own sphere of influence.
>
> >This administration has prided itself, flattered itself on deploying
> >smart diplomacy. "Smart diplomacy" is a meaningless idea, but if it
> >has any meaning at all, it is not ever doing something as humiliating,
> >amateurish, and stupid as this."
>
> >Whatever might be said about Bush era diplomacy, Dubya never sold our
> >allies down the river. Disagreement is one thing; converting such
> >stalwarts as the Czechs and the Poles into bargaining chips is quite
> >another.
>
> Heh... how about this one.
>
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1159627/Just-wanted...
> exertions of better men than himself."  (John Stuart Mill)- Hide quoted text -

Every day, in every way...

lein

Mar 5, 2009, 4:22:17 PM3/5/09
On Mar 5, 11:59 am, John Rogers <tiger7...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hey, Tom Enright <freddy_ha...@yahoo.com>... keep the change, you
> filthy animal.
>

> >http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/iain_martin/blog/2009/03/04/president_ba...

> >-or-
>
> >http://tinyurl.com/b38w48
>
> >"But on this side of the Atlantic the whole business looked pretty
> >demeaning. The morning papers and TV last night featured plenty of
> >comment focused on the White House's very odd and, frankly,
> >exceptionally rude treatment of a British PM. Squeezing in a meeting,
> >denying him a full press conference with flags etc. The British press
> >corps, left outside for an hour in the cold, can take it and their
> >privations are of limited concern to the public."
>
> >And this:
>
> >http://tigerhawk.blogspot.com/2009/03/from-bad-hands-to-all-thumbs.html
>
> >"The Czechs and the Poles went out on a limb, exposed themselves to
> >Russian pressure, and we have shown that Eastern Europe is not as
> >sovereign as it appears if the Russian influence is there, and we will
> >acquiesce in what they consider their own sphere of influence.
>
> >This administration has prided itself, flattered itself on deploying
> >smart diplomacy. "Smart diplomacy" is a meaningless idea, but if it
> >has any meaning at all, it is not ever doing something as humiliating,
> >amateurish, and stupid as this."
>
> >Whatever might be said about Bush era diplomacy, Dubya never sold our
> >allies down the river. Disagreement is one thing; converting such
> >stalwarts as the Czechs and the Poles into bargaining chips is quite
> >another.
>
> Heh... how about this one.
>
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1159627/Just-wanted...

> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/cgk4qk
>
> He had put clearly great thought into giving the U.S. President lavish
> gifts to signify Britain's 'special relationship' with the U.S.
>
> During his historic trip to Washington, Gordon Brown gave Barack Obama
> an ornamental pen holder made from the timbers of the Victorian
> anti-slave ship HMS Gannet - once called HMS President.
>
> The unique present delighted Mr Obama because oak from the Gannet's
> sister ship, HMS Resolute, was carved to make a desk that already
> takes place in the Oval Office in the White House, after being
> presented by Britain to the US in 1880.
>
> The Prime Minister went to the trouble of hunting down the perfect
> gift after becoming the first world leader invited to the White House
> by the new Commander In Chief.
>
> So it would be perfectly understandable if Mr Brown felt a little
> underwhelmed at the official gift he received in return.
>
>  For despite being leader of the world's most bountiful nation,
> President Obama handed over nothing more thought-provoking than 25
> classic American films on DVD.

Hey, give Barry a break, he's stimulating Time-Life by buying their
DVDs.