Tipping comp advice

Duncan

Mar 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/1/99
Hi, I'm running a footy tipping comp at work for the first time. I work
with a fickle lot, so to avoid disputes I would like some opinions on some
issues I will need to clarify:

1. How should prize pool be split at the end of season, particularly in the
case of multiple 1st, 2nd, and 3rd placegetters.

2. What tips should be given to those who fail to submit tips in a given
week . (I'm looking for something a bit more interesting than just getting
"away games" but that still penalises for not submitting tips)

Thanking you in advance.
--
Duncan Hartwig
Bulldogs Woof in 99

Fat Alberton

Mar 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/1/99
On 1 Mar 1999 14:59:41 GMT, "Duncan" <dun...@c031.aone.net.au> gave an
infinite number of typewriters to an infinite number of monkeys. By
chance one of them happened to type:

>Hi, I'm running a footy tipping comp at work for the first time. I work
>with a fickle lot, so to avoid disputes I would like some opinions on some
>issues I will need to clarify:
>
>1. How should prize pool be split at the end of season, particularly in the
>case of multiple 1st, 2nd, and 3rd placegetters.

If you have shared placings, ie; first and second, add the total for
first and second and divide it by two... similarly if you have three
tied for first, add up first, second and third, and divide by three...
if four tie for some placings, add them up and divide by four... and
so on...

>2. What tips should be given to those who fail to submit tips in a given
>week . (I'm looking for something a bit more interesting than just getting
>"away games" but that still penalises for not submitting tips)

Give them a big fat zero! Put the onus on them to get you their
tips... otherwise you spend most of Friday arvo trotting around the
office/factory floor/paddock chasing Shirley the secretary/sack-truck
pusher/sheep-shearer for her tips... Believe me it's a pain in the
arse... Give them 0!

-----------------------
"He's been up his mum, and his legless sister, and he thinks he killed his old man!"
-----------------------

Geoff Cairns

Mar 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/1/99

Duncan wrote in message <01be63f4$5bed4900$37b80ccb@my_pc>...

>1. How should prize pool be split at the end of season, particularly in the
>case of multiple 1st, 2nd, and 3rd placegetters.

50:30:20 - some comps have a minor prize for last, such as money back -
others weigh more heavily to the winner but in a large comp I think the
above is fair. There is no genral rule as far as I am aware as long as
everyone knows at the start and before the put in their money - to avoid
arguments.

If a tie then just split the pool between the tied places eg tie for first
and second then split first and second prize b/w winners.
If it is a very large comp and you think there is a chance of number of
tippers tieing same place so as to split the prize too many times - maybe
put in place a rule (at the start of the season) that tie break will be held
over finals - in my experience this is unlikely even in quite large comps.

>2. What tips should be given to those who fail to submit tips in a given
>week . (I'm looking for something a bit more interesting than just getting
>"away games" but that still penalises for not submitting tips)

underdog on footytab? team lower on table before round? alphabetical
order? - surely you can think of something:-)

GC

Sap Sucker

Mar 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/1/99
> Hi, I'm running a footy tipping comp at work for the first time. I work
> with a fickle lot, so to avoid disputes I would like some opinions on
some
> issues I will need to clarify:
>
> 1. How should prize pool be split at the end of season, particularly in
the
> case of multiple 1st, 2nd, and 3rd placegetters.

I know it's a bit generous but the size of my comp allows me to return 4th,
5th and 6th their entry money. 1st gets 50%, then 60% of what's left goes
to 2nd.

> 2. What tips should be given to those who fail to submit tips in a given
> week . (I'm looking for something a bit more interesting than just
getting
> "away games" but that still penalises for not submitting tips)

You need to resist giving zero. Someone might be in the running for prize
money, forget one week or be unable to get them in and they're stuffed for
the year. That can mean dropouts. Away games is too generous. For the last
couple of years I've given them the lowest score of the other tippers. That
usually sees them getting much less than 50% but not so few that it wrecks
their season.

You also need to work out your bonus for picking the round. I usually give
an extra 4 points bonus.
(2 for a win, 1 for a draw - although in the AFL draws are so rare you
might as well just give one point for a win and give the drawn point to
everyone. I've got no idea why the ladder gives four for a win!)
Every four weeks I run a pick the margin or a pick the top goalkicker or
first goalkicker for four points extra. This can allow someone to pull
ahead, or allow a fringe contender to catch up. It throws a spanner in the
works and keeps interest up throughout the season.

In workplaces I've found people who have no idea about football are
reluctant to fork over money. The trick is to run the first four weeks for
free, so that they're hooked. Often they get people to help them and this
help can be expert enough for them to win the whole thing. More people
means better payouts and more interest.

Benefit from my experience - DONT spend the tip money! Put it in a box
under your bed or it'll come October and you'll owe everyone hundreds of
dollars! I'm still owe last year's winner $100!

Sobbers

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
In rec.sport.football.australian Duncan <dun...@c031.aone.net.au> wrote:
: Hi, I'm running a footy tipping comp at work for the first time. I work

: with a fickle lot, so to avoid disputes I would like some opinions on some
: issues I will need to clarify:

: 1. How should prize pool be split at the end of season, particularly in the
: case of multiple 1st, 2nd, and 3rd placegetters.

: 2. What tips should be given to those who fail to submit tips in a given

: week . (I'm looking for something a bit more interesting than just getting
: "away games" but that still penalises for not submitting tips)

One idea is to give them a score for the round that is equal to the lowest
score achieved by those who DID do their tips. This still provides some sort
of penalty without the harshness of a zero. Also, you can't get complaints
from people who did tip getting less than those who forgot. Go Cats.

: Thanking you in advance.

Peter Nevin

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99

Sap Sucker wrote:

> In workplaces I've found people who have no idea about football are
> reluctant to fork over money. The trick is to run the first four weeks for
> free, so that they're hooked. Often they get people to help them and this
> help can be expert enough for them to win the whole thing. More people
> means better payouts and more interest.

Last year, 1/2 of each week's contributions in our comp went to the winner of
that week. The end-of-year pot was smaller, but at least people who weren't
that interested in footy, or were out of the hunt for the main prizes, stayed
keen.

Braithy

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
On 1 Mar 1999 14:59:41 GMT, "Duncan" <dun...@c031.aone.net.au> wrote:

>Hi, I'm running a footy tipping comp at work for the first time. I work
>with a fickle lot, so to avoid disputes I would like some opinions on some
>issues I will need to clarify:
>
>1. How should prize pool be split at the end of season, particularly in the
>case of multiple 1st, 2nd, and 3rd placegetters.

My advice would be 50%, 30% & 20% for those prizes, perhaps also offer
a fee-back prize to a random tipster who didn't make the prizepool but
submitted tips all year round, at least this keeps others interested.
I wouldn't give money back to last place, because once people realise
they are way out of contention then they tend to drop out in the hope
they get their fee back. You need to keep up their interest.

As for multiple winners, if first place ties, throw in 1st & 2nd
prizes and divide by two, if three or more tie, then throw in all the
prizemoney and divide equally. It really depends also on what
prizemoney is being given out. If third place is not worth splitting
and say two or more tie for just third place you can award it to the
best tipster in the last round between those that tied. The smallest
anyone should get back is their paid fee IMHO.

>2. What tips should be given to those who fail to submit tips in a given
>week . (I'm looking for something a bit more interesting than just getting
>"away games" but that still penalises for not submitting tips)

You're right, there was one round either last year or the year before
when either all teams won away or it was 7/8. Of course that's just
luck of the irish too. I don't believe in giving people zero, because
it may be a case of a genuine mistake not to get tips in on time, but
the responsibility is still theirs. I'd say give them the equal
lowest tips of the round, that way they get at least something, and
won't penalise them as heavy, especially if they are in the running
for a prize.

To keep incentives going, you could also allow bonus points for
tipping all games correctly in a round and/or getting the 'margin'
game exactly on margin. This adds more interest to the comp and gives
everyone a bit of incentive to go for the bonus point(s). You will
find that later in the season the winning trio will probably try and
be conservative to consolidate their possy. This doesn't always work,
I was equal second in a work tipping comp in '97, with a generous
buffer before the next lot, and somehow bombed out in the very last
round and missed the lot. But it gives the ones out of the winners
circle an incentive to be creative with their tips.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
.\\ark

Internet Fantasy Footy - Aussie Rules
http://www.users.bigpond.com/braithy/index.html
Home of: IFFL - Internet Fantasy Football League
- GFL - Goalkicking Fantasy League
- AFTL - AFL Free Tipsters League
email: bra...@bigpond.com
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Wardy

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
I've run a footy pools for a few years now, and heres a couple of things
I've done.
As to prize allocation I usually have weekly jackpot prize depending on the
number of entrants. It makes things quite interesting and during the year
people can win enough to pay off their entry for the entire season. This
year to determine the end of year prizes, I will award the person running
dead lasta dollar and a trophy they keep for the year remind them of the
pathetic performance they put in over the year. Third place at least got
there money back, second prize did fairly well getting about half but I
always put a large emphasis on first, my feeling is if you can win the
thing, you deserve all you can get. Always try to have your totals
determined well in advance just in case you happen to win. That happened to
me so I let some one else determine the prizes for the year. A friend of
mine has recently suggested the 4 7ths rule. 4/7 of prize pool for first,
2/7 for second and 1/7 for third. Then rolling up if multiple winners
exist. I have not yet had the problem of multiple winners, but I am
inclined to push for sudden death finals comp for the joint leaders. Thats
my preference I would prefer one winner.

When giving people miss a game or a round the following rules apply.
Zero point for a miss of a game.
If they miss the entire round, it's the round down average of the tips - 1,
unless the rounded down average is zero in which case they'll get zero.
This doesn't punish them too much but it does enough. It seems to work
pretty well.

Hope that helps.

Catchya
Ward

Duncan wrote in message <01be63f4$5bed4900$37b80ccb@my_pc>...

>Hi, I'm running a footy tipping comp at work for the first time. I work
>with a fickle lot, so to avoid disputes I would like some opinions on some
>issues I will need to clarify:
>
>1. How should prize pool be split at the end of season, particularly in the
>case of multiple 1st, 2nd, and 3rd placegetters.
>

>2. What tips should be given to those who fail to submit tips in a given
>week . (I'm looking for something a bit more interesting than just getting
>"away games" but that still penalises for not submitting tips)

Geoff Stewart

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
The one I run is as follows

1, 60% 30% 10% ( if 2 winners then they would share 90%)

2, Our comp. gives ! point less than the lowest legal score for the week.

The first rule of my comp. is that the first person to complain about a
decision gets to take over for the year.

Anyway your best option is to come up with some ideas and get people
themselves to comment on different options. Good luck (you'll probably need
it)

BTW make sure someone else sees your tips each week as you can guarantee
that if you get a good score someone will make some smartass comment and for
gods sake don't dare win.

Geoff Stewart
gste...@icisp.net.au

Mic Cullen

Mar 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/3/99
"Duncan" <dun...@c031.aone.net.au>, far, far away from here, appears to
have written:

[snips]

>2. What tips should be given to those who fail to submit tips in a given
>week . (I'm looking for something a bit more interesting than just getting
>"away games" but that still penalises for not submitting tips)

Be cruel - default tip is a draw :-)

have a good one,

Mic. Yellow & Black!!!

AFL MANIA

Mar 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/3/99
Try giving the lowest points of the round to those who fail to submit their tips...!!!! check Alf Mania: www.vivid.hl.com.au/

Duncan wrote in message <01be63f4$5bed4900$37b80ccb@my_pc>...
>Hi, I'm running a footy tipping comp at work for the first time. I work
>with a fickle lot, so to avoid disputes I  would like some opinions on some
>issues I will need to clarify:
>
>1. How should prize pool be split at the end of season, particularly in the
>case of multiple 1st, 2nd, and 3rd placegetters.
>
>2. What tips should be given to those who fail to submit tips in a given
>week . (I'm looking for something a bit more interesting than just getting
>"away games" but that still penalises for not submitting tips)

AFLTips.Com

Mar 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/3/99
Check out the rules on our site - you may get some ideas. Click the
'How to play' graphic on the 'Welcome!' page.

AFLTips.Com

Fat Alberton

Mar 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/3/99
On Wed, 3 Mar 1999 21:45:11 +1100, "AFL MANIA"
<Vi...@hunterlink.net.au> gave an infinite number of typewriters to an

infinite number of monkeys. By chance one of them happened to type:

> check Alf Mania: www.vivid.hl.com.au/

There's that Alf maniac again... stupid fuzzy puppet...