tape on wood floors

david arias

Oct 28, 2001, 1:10:48 PM10/28/01
we hold tournaments on wood gym floors. at a few tournaments, the tape has
removed (pulled up with the tape) part of the finish (usually polyurethane).
we use the good (expensive) vinyl floor tape, and even test a place on the
floor first (most times), but we have still had problems (including one
expensive disaster).

so PLEASE tell me if there is a product or procedure that will ensure that
we won't pull up floor finishes again.

related question... has anyone looked into buying rolls of rubber matting
that could be marked off for strips and then just laid down when you were
ready to compete? they would have to be pretty heavy to prevent having to
tape them down. also, these questions relate mostly to tournaments not
using electric strips, at places like school or church gyms.

thanks,

david
(birmingham fencing club)

david arias

Oct 28, 2001, 6:28:51 PM10/28/01
michael,

are you absolutely sure about that? what have your experiences been? has
it got enough "stick" to hold down metal strips as well? is it tough enough
to last a two-day tournament?

david

Michael Best <lost...@home.com> wrote in message
> 3M BLUE PAINTERS TAPE!

Zebee Johnstone

Oct 28, 2001, 7:22:22 PM10/28/01
In rec.sport.fencing on Sun, 28 Oct 2001 12:10:48 -0600

david arias <ar...@hiwaay.net> wrote:
>we hold tournaments on wood gym floors. at a few tournaments, the tape has
>
>related question... has anyone looked into buying rolls of rubber matting
>that could be marked off for strips and then just laid down when you were
>ready to compete? they would have to be pretty heavy to prevent having to

My gym has rubber flooring that's made of interlocking tiles.

That might be easier to store and transport than matting, and easier
to fit into available space.

Zebee

david arias

Oct 28, 2001, 7:25:03 PM10/28/01
the vinyl court tape is something like $6.40 per roll for the 2", close to
half for 1" (etc. for different sizes). please tell me it is not more
expensive than that *sigh*. it tends to be very durable, but the
stretchiness tends to be a problem sometimes. but it is sticky, hence our
problem. i plan to contact the manufacturer and tell them it is definitely
NOT safe for wooden courts.

> Historically, it's all we have been able to use to mark off the strip
during tourneys at the local YMCA (wooden floors!) Guests that we are and as
anal as they are about their floors, it's been the only compromise!
> No, it does not last (subjective...directly related to the "use and
abuse" ).....but, it peels up easily, leaving no residue and can be repaired
quickly! Unfortunately, it ain't cheap! I'm fond of the 1 1/2" wide... tends
to wear better than the 1" and slightly less expensive than the 2". As for
taping down metal strips...........no experience there! Buy it and try it!
Good luck!

Carol

Oct 28, 2001, 8:33:47 PM10/28/01

Hi David,

I'll be seeing Ted Li soon, and I will ask him for specifics. But the
best for marking off strip lines would be gaffer's tape (expensive, but
if you just mark off the corners and lines, it won't be bad -- the best
benifit is that it willl cause _no_ damage to finishes)

The next best is what we use in our division. I don't know who buys it
or what it is called, but it is a white roll of tape and it has a medium
"stictivity' that last s us over 2 days when we do all our big events
(6 per year) -- it might be a sort of painter's tape probably, and it
works really good for us -- I'll let you know when I find out more details.

-Carol

Jesse Sigrist

Oct 28, 2001, 11:52:12 PM10/28/01
I second the 3M blue painter's tape. We've used that for years on wooden
floors. It peels up easily (without leaving anything behind) and sticks
good for a two day tournament. The only drawback is it's price, around $6
for a 1/2" roll. You may be able to find it for $5 though. I believe 2
rolls per strip works good.

For electric strips, I think our division puts down a roll of butcher paper
under the strip, with a few inches to spare around the edges. We tape the
paper down with the painter's tape, IIRC. Then duck tape the strip to the
butcher paper. It's kind of a hassel, but it works good. If anyone else
has better ideas I'd be gald to hear them.

Jesse
UofMN fencing club

david arias <ar...@hiwaay.net> wrote in message

Eric Dew

Oct 29, 2001, 12:12:28 AM10/29/01
In article <IPXC7.52871$6i7.6...@e420r-atl1.usenetserver.com>,

david arias <ar...@hiwaay.net> wrote:
>we hold tournaments on wood gym floors. at a few tournaments, the tape has
>removed (pulled up with the tape) part of the finish (usually polyurethane).
>we use the good (expensive) vinyl floor tape, and even test a place on the
>floor first (most times), but we have still had problems (including one
>expensive disaster).
>
>so PLEASE tell me if there is a product or procedure that will ensure that
>we won't pull up floor finishes again.

Gaffers tape.

Look it up in the internet.

EDEW

Eric Dew

Oct 29, 2001, 12:13:55 AM10/29/01
In article <ls0D7.16736$Z2.31...@e420r-atl2.usenetserver.com>,

david arias <ar...@hiwaay.net> wrote:
>michael,
>
>are you absolutely sure about that? what have your experiences been? has
>it got enough "stick" to hold down metal strips as well? is it tough enough
>to last a two-day tournament?
>
>david
>
>Michael Best <lost...@home.com> wrote in message
>> 3M BLUE PAINTERS TAPE!

Use Blue painters tape only for marking locations. It's not strong enough
to hold anything.

EDEW

Eric Dew

Oct 29, 2001, 12:18:47 AM10/29/01
In article <3BDCB2FD...@verizon.net>,

Carol <carol....@verizon.net> wrote:

>Hi David,
>
>I'll be seeing Ted Li soon, and I will ask him for specifics. But the
>best for marking off strip lines would be gaffer's tape (expensive, but
>if you just mark off the corners and lines, it won't be bad -- the best
>benifit is that it willl cause _no_ damage to finishes)

Don't use gaffers tape to mark off the strip, as it's too expensive for
that role. Use plain old masking tape for marking off strips. To hold
down copper strips, gaffers tape is the best thing. It's strong and
can hold a stick and will not rip as easily as duct tape. Duct tape is
probably the worst for anything, as it leaves a terrible residue and
can't hold a stick, and can rip easily.

EDEW

Carol

Oct 29, 2001, 11:16:23 AM10/29/01
We don't have copper strips -- we just tape the floor.

david arias

Oct 29, 2001, 2:24:32 PM10/29/01
more information provided by the email exchange below. it confirms what was
said here, plus a little extra information. this was provided by
Tapemonster.com

FROM TAPEMONSTER.COM....

I've sold vinyl tape for similar applications without complaints, but if
you've had problems with it I would recommend the gaffer's tape. You'll
find it on our website. Gaffer's tape is relatively low tack, it comes in
many colors and has the nicest finish which makes a better presentation,
and it is designed specifically for holding down mats and cables on various
surfaces. I think the blue painters tape, although since it's designed for
outdoor exposure wouldn't damage the floor, is too weak to withstand the
rigors your strip may endure.

Another option is a high grade of duct tape, like they use to hold down
cables in hotel ball rooms. You can get 3" duct tape for less than the
cost of 2" gaff.

We sell all our tapes by the roll so let me know what interests you most
and we can do a trial order.

Thanks for your interest.

-Shawn Vincent

At 12:49 AM 10/29/01 -0600, you wrote:
>i am president of a fencing club in birmingham, alabama. the sport of
>fencing is conducted on "strips" measuring 45' by 6' and competitions are
>generally help on gym floors. the strips are marked with tape, or if metal
>strips are used they are taped down to the floor.
>
>we have been using vinyl floor tape, usually sold through sports equipment
>catalogs. it is "supposed" to be safe for wood finishes, but we have had a
>few instances where the top coat (usually polyurethane) came up when we
>removed the tape. this resulted in a very expensive tournament for us
once.

>we have concluded that the vinyl tape is NOT safe, and have received advice
>from other fencing clubs. those mentioned were blue 3M masking tape, which
>may also be called painters tape, and "gaffer's" tape.
>
>those recommendations aside, what do you recommend? it needs to be safe
for
>ALL floors, not *too* expensive (the vinyl is about $6.50 for a 2" by 60'
>roll), and somewhat durable for those two-day tournaments. i realize i may
>not be able to have all these qualities, but i need a product which
>considers all three. cost is least important.
>
>please let me know asap. if your recommendation works, i can mention your
>help on our fencing internet newsgroup (read by thousands of fencers).
>
>david arias
>birmingham fencing club
>http://www.fencingclub.org

Fencerbill

Oct 29, 2001, 4:10:23 PM10/29/01
In article <9riorn$cl4$3...@og1.olagrande.net>, ed...@olagrande.net (Eric Dew)
writes:

>Don't use gaffers tape to mark off the strip, as it's too expensive for
>that role. Use plain old masking tape for marking off strips. To hold
>down copper strips, gaffers tape is the best thing. It's strong and
>can hold a stick and will not rip as easily as duct tape. Duct tape is
>probably the worst for anything, as it leaves a terrible residue and
>can't hold a stick, and can rip easily.
>
>EDEW

We use half inch Gaffer's tape to mark strips on good wooden floors. For some
reason it is called Spike tape. Sometimes it comes up but it usually lasts for
one day and sometimes two days. But it doesn't leave any marks. Last year one
high school AD said it left marks. When we looked closely it had pulled up the
wax layer but not the floor finish. So you could see where the tape had been
but it had not damaged the floor varnish. He has since let us come back.

Bill Hall

David W. Neevel

Oct 29, 2001, 8:03:12 PM10/29/01
The blue 3-M low-adhesion painters' masking tape is a good alternative--
it's specifically designed to not mar finishes on wood interior trim.
It's also easier to find and perhaps a tad cheaper than vinyl floor
tape.

There is also a white, water soluble marking paint that one area high
school uses for the wood floor on their gym-- at the end of the day you
just wipe it away with a mop and water.

-Dave