Pepsi ad from 1978 with ultimate- any idea who these players are?

jacob

Dec 11, 2009, 3:53:42 PM12/11/09

Knappy

Dec 11, 2009, 5:01:03 PM12/11/09
I spotted Frank, Toad & Hosehead, the dog who would go on to star in
Strange Brew.

On Dec 11, 3:53 pm, jacob <jacobsi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VaVr1N7pCQ

Message has been deleted

Peter Mc

Dec 11, 2009, 5:57:37 PM12/11/09
Jacob,

Never seen that one before (props to Scott Starr for posting it.)

This info from Mr. Don Cain just now ........>>>>>

Word was spread throughout the disc community of 2 days
of try-outs for a Frisbee Pepsi commercial in Central Park.

Actually Gary Seubert said a combination of Ultimate and
freestyle were needed..like me!

After the try-outs 17 players were picked for the filming, but only
5-6 would be principals
(recognizable).

Filming was done at Fordham University in the Bronx, boy did we have
fun. I wound up slapping
hands, catch and throw (air-bounce), and the behind-the-head
attempt to the drop.

The residuals more than made up for the heckling of my drop. It
played during Yankee games, etc.

I was invited and brought "Igor" to make another Pepsi
commercial in Venezuela after that. That one only played in
Spanish speaking nations (1980).

Glad you found that! Paul Brenner sighting !

Happy Hanukkah to those celebratin' such come sundown.

Sincerely,
Peter McCarthy

Midwest Disc Sports Collection
Western Historical Manuscript Collection
23 Ellis Library
Univ. of Missouri
Columbia, MO

http://whmc.umsystem.edu/mdsc

"Archiving disc sports since 1997."

ulticritic

Dec 11, 2009, 7:32:42 PM12/11/09

i remember that commercial from the seventies. I believe ther were
some glassboro players......or so an old roomate (tom urban) told me.
i think he said the chick downing the pepsi was a glasboro-ette too.

formerhiriser

Dec 12, 2009, 12:09:11 AM12/12/09

Funny. Sauce mentioned this to me tonight. I was on my honeymoon in
Aruba in'83 and ran across the commercial. I was playing with Sauce &
Gor on The Gang at the time and had thought I had left all that back
in NJ.

jacob

Dec 12, 2009, 4:55:13 PM12/12/09
I thought that was Fordham. My Dad used to teach there.

I think there was a deodorant commercial in the late 80s that showed a
guy ripping a disc in front of that same tower.

Ryan Kelly

Dec 12, 2009, 7:00:03 PM12/12/09
Is this why people ask about dogs when we say we play
ultimate? Thanks Pepsi...
--
Posted from http://www.rsdnospam.com

ulticritic

Dec 13, 2009, 9:02:49 AM12/13/09

PROBABLY NOT........its just that the k9da is much more advanced in
the areas of event presentation and marketing their sport than the upa
EVER HAS BEEN. shit, i would assume that even they have some kind of
impartial judging process for their competitions. can you imagine,
two dogs barking (arguing) with each other as to whether they caught a
disc in a specified area, or how many they caught.........OR EVEN THE
DOG OWNERS ARGUING FOR THAT MATTER.

hers the thing........the disc (frisbee really!!!) IS the thing people
first connect/identify with...........THEN they make assocoations from
there. so obviously whoever the organizers of k9 disc have done
WAAAAAY MORE to put that image and connection in to the psychy if the
american public than the organizers of ultimate. ISNT THIS AS OBVIOUS
AND PLAIN AS THE NOSE ON YOUR FACE.

So if you are ashamed of the fact ultimate takes a back seat to k9
disc then you have no one to blame but the leader/leaders of this
sport (which is the upa and its administrators)

Eric

Jan 19, 2010, 3:07:02 PM1/19/10
Thanks for posting that vid! Exactly what I was looking
for. One of the guys in the commercial is Peter Bloeme who
owns SkyHoundz. Here's an article that mentions the
casting.
http://www.freestyle-frisbee.com/features/falling_into_frisbee.html

richarda...@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2010, 4:11:40 PM1/19/10
On Dec 13 2009, 9:02 am, ulticritic <ulticri...@live.com> wrote:
> On Dec 12, 7:00 pm, Ryan Kelly <ryankell...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is this why people ask about dogs when we say we play
> > ultimate? Thanks Pepsi...
> > --
> > Posted fromhttp://www.rsdnospam.com
>
> PROBABLY NOT........its just that the k9da is much more advanced in
> the areas of event presentation and marketing their sport than the upa
> EVER HAS BEEN.  shit, i would assume that even they have some kind of
> impartial judging process for their competitions.  can you imagine,
> two dogs barking (arguing) with each other as to whether they caught a
> disc in a specified area, or how many they caught.........OR EVEN THE
> DOG OWNERS ARGUING FOR THAT MATTER.

At least half of dog disc competitions are judged subjectively. I
don't see you advocating an arbitration system based on judges giving
scores for prettiest offense, curviest IO flick, most symmetrical
defense, etc.

> hers the thing........the disc (frisbee really!!!) IS the thing people
> first connect/identify with...........THEN they make assocoations from
> there.  so obviously whoever the organizers of k9 disc have done
> WAAAAAY MORE to put that image and connection in to the psychy if the
> american public than the organizers of ultimate.  ISNT THIS AS OBVIOUS
> AND PLAIN AS THE NOSE ON YOUR FACE.

More people have pet dogs than pet discs. More people care about dogs
than care about discs. People connect with dogs more than with sports
equipment in general. No one watches frisbee dogs and thinks "That
disc caught my eye, I wonder what game is being played with it".
Well, at least as many people think that as watch Air Bud and think
"This is a great basketball movie, even though one of the players is
short and hairy".

The video's a great find though. The best parts are the blatant fouls
and that the big dramatic catch at the end was a drop.

jacob

Jan 19, 2010, 8:54:50 PM1/19/10
Here is the text from the website referred to above by Eric:

As time went on, I experienced some incredible things as a result of
my participation in the world of flying discs. I walked out to the
park one morning to discover that a casting session was in process in
the middle of Sheep's Meadow. They were looking for Frisbee players to
cast in a Pepsi Commercial. There was a bunch of good looking young
actors who knew nothing about Frisbee, trying to get parts in this
commercial. It was to be aired nationally, debuting during the
halftime festivities of the 1979 Superbowl. I walked over and stood
near enough to the casting session that they'd have no choice but to
see me and I began doing nail delays and air brushes. They called me
over, asked me to do a series of simple tricks and eventually cast me
(and Peter Bloeme) in the spot.

Throw

Mar 12, 2010, 3:40:35 PM3/12/10
Anyone make a copy of this Pepsi commercial?

It got pulled from Youtube and one of the folks in it is itchin' for a
copy.

Peter Mc
MDSC

JG

Mar 12, 2010, 3:42:49 PM3/12/10

I thought it was your job to "archive disc sports"?

Throw

Mar 12, 2010, 4:21:05 PM3/12/10
> I thought it was your job to "archive disc sports"?

Yep...you got that right JG.

But duping off of youtube ain't the way it works.

Anyway...I read the earlier post and realized Scott Starr had posted
the clip.

Will send the inquiring party his direction.

Later,
Peter Mc
Midwest Disc Sports Collection
WHMC
23 Ellis Library
Columbia, MO
65201

http://whmc.umsystem.edu/mdsc

"Planet Earth's premier public disc sport collection."

M. Who

Apr 22, 2023, 10:18:43 PM4/22/23
13yrs later it is back up here: https://youtu.be/wNUmf1e1Qmw