Vinod Kambli and the English media

Anand Srinivasa

Mar 15, 1993, 6:53:00 PM3/15/93
Caught these from the issues of Times Of India:

Even English sportswriters, specifically those at the Guardian
and the Independent (Martin Johnson?) were reluctant to
praise Kambli's magnificent double century at Bombay. One paper
even ran a headline: "Low caste Kambli [refering to his lower
caste origins] lays England low." Since when did caste take
precedence to cricketing class? While I was always wary of the
English snobbery, I did have an admiration for what the English
sportswriters wrote, especially in matters cricket. But now ....
I don't know. Maybe I should obtain all my cricketing information
from the rsc :-).

On a positive side, the British PM congratualted India on their
performance. He did this while he was on a trip to the US.

Venkatraghavan, apparently, has taken a liking to Kambli. And
gave him valuable advice on how to concentrate and build longer
innings. No wonder Kambli's big innings came soon thereafter and
when Venkat was the umpire :-) Is Venkat also one of the umpires
in the Delhi test against Zimbabwe? Some food for English scribers
pen....:-)

Talking of food...One English fan[atic], suggested in a
letter to the Indian High commission in London that the Indian
Government should not try to "poison" the English team. Hmmm.
Talking about English poisoning and airing it on the rsc is one
thing, but writing it to the Indian High Commission!! :-)

Kambli's 224 was the highest by an Indian (left hander?) at
Bombay. Previous highest was some 154 by Vijay Hazare.

The thought of breaking Gavaskar's record was very much on
VK's mind. Only, it weighed too heavily on him.

Also, VK is really India's most valuable player - in ways more
than one. Apparently, he wears a heavy gold chain around his
neck :-)

And take this: the Bombay crowd booed, of all people, SRT!!!
While Kambli was nearing his century, SRT was believed to have
not give more strike to VK. Of course, the elegant VK didn't
need much. He was well on the way to his century with boundaries.

That's all, folks.

Anand Srinivasa email: ana...@tamu.edu
Dept. Of Industrial Engineering Phone: (409)846-6556
Texas A&M University

Rajesh Raman

Mar 15, 1993, 7:25:04 PM3/15/93

:
: Even English sportswriters, specifically those at the Guardian
: and the Independent (Martin Johnson?) were reluctant to
: praise Kambli's magnificent double century at Bombay. One paper
: even ran a headline: "Low caste Kambli [refering to his lower
: caste origins] lays England low." Since when did caste take
: precedence to cricketing class? While I was always wary of the
: English snobbery, I did have an admiration for what the English
: sportswriters wrote, especially in matters cricket. But now ....
: I don't know. Maybe I should obtain all my cricketing information
: from the rsc :-).

This "low caste" thing, I think, is the result of superficial
and maybe prejudicial knowledge of India and its people. While
it is very much true that the caste system had a hold in India a
while back, I haven't heard of any discrimination in the game of
cricket against players who were of supposedly "low caste"
origins. Has anyone else?

Reminds of an incident a few months back when an American kid
who had been watching me from the corner of his eye, in the
manner that kids are wont to do, finally mustered up the nerve
to ask me ...

"Do you, by any chance, have your Flying Carpet with you?"

I replied ...

"No, the Govt didn't let me bring it with me."

To which he said, in all his innocence ...

"Hey! No wonder Dad always says the govt is bad."

--;-)
Rajesh Raman

Neeran M. Karnik

Mar 15, 1993, 7:26:00 PM3/15/93
ana...@zeus.tamu.edu (Anand Srinivasa) writes:

>Even English sportswriters, specifically those at the Guardian
>and the Independent (Martin Johnson?) were reluctant to
>praise Kambli's magnificent double century at Bombay. One paper
>even ran a headline: "Low caste Kambli [refering to his lower
>caste origins] lays England low." Since when did caste take
>precedence to cricketing class? While I was always wary of the

Disgusting, indeed.... Are you sure it wasn't the Sun? :-)

>English snobbery, I did have an admiration for what the English
>sportswriters wrote, especially in matters cricket. But now ....
>I don't know. Maybe I should obtain all my cricketing information
>from the rsc :-).

Of course you should! And not just information, knowledge as
well! After all, here on r.s.c., we're blessed with the
*relentless* efforts of luminaries like Talluri and Scrooge to
impart their wisdom to the "lesser mortals" :-) (TM-Porky!).

>On a positive side, the British PM congratualted India on their
>performance. He did this while he was on a trip to the US.

His hosts must have stared at him, wondering what he was
talking about :-)

>Venkatraghavan, apparently, has taken a liking to Kambli. And
>gave him valuable advice on how to concentrate and build longer
>innings. No wonder Kambli's big innings came soon thereafter and
>when Venkat was the umpire :-) Is Venkat also one of the umpires
>in the Delhi test against Zimbabwe? Some food for English scribers
>pen....:-)

:-) Actually, I was a little surprised at the number of games
that Venkat got during the England tour - he had at least one
Test (two, I think - 1st and 3rd), a couple of ODIs, and a
couple of the tour matches as well! Where are all the other
umpires? Of course, the fact that Venkat impressed everyone
could have much to do with it...

>Kambli's 224 was the highest by an Indian (left hander?) at
>Bombay. Previous highest was some 154 by Vijay Hazare.

??? I'm pretty sure Hazare was right handed.... in which case,
his 154 wasn't the highest score by an Indian at Bombay either
- Gavaskar scored 205 against Kalli's Windies.

>The thought of breaking Gavaskar's record was very much on
>VK's mind. Only, it weighed too heavily on him.

Ah, I bet it isn't easy, breaking records set by the master
himself :-) Since his 236*, at least 4 double tons have been
scored for India without going past that figure :-)

>Also, VK is really India's most valuable player - in ways more
>than one. Apparently, he wears a heavy gold chain around his
>neck :-)

.... which is noticeable only when he's on the cricket field -
at other times, I suppose it's dwarfed by the fluorescent
clothing and jazzy eyewear :-)

>And take this: the Bombay crowd booed, of all people, SRT!!!
>While Kambli was nearing his century, SRT was believed to have
>not give more strike to VK. Of course, the elegant VK didn't
>need much. He was well on the way to his century with boundaries.

Perhaps it's just as well I wasn't there :-) I might have got
into a teeny weeny bit of an argument with those guys booing
Sachin :-)

>Anand Srinivasa email: ana...@tamu.edu

+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+
| Neeran M. Karnik | VeeKayFan phir khush hua! :-) |
| Dept. of CompSci.| ------------------------------------------------ |
| U of Minnesota | T:4 I:5 NO:1 R:545 Av:136.25 200s:2 50s:1 |

scrooge_mcduck

Mar 15, 1993, 8:34:58 PM3/15/93
Anand Srinivasa writes
;:
;:And take this: the Bombay crowd booed, of all people, SRT!!!

;:While Kambli was nearing his century, SRT was believed to have
;:not give more strike to VK. Of course, the elegant VK didn't
;:need much. He was well on the way to his century with boundaries.
;:
I guess there is place for only 1 batsman in the India line-up

McDuck

;:That's all, folks.

C.S. Sudarshana Bhat

Mar 15, 1993, 9:18:00 PM3/15/93
In article <karnik.732241560@mega>, kar...@cs.umn.edu (Neeran M. Karnik) writes...

>ana...@zeus.tamu.edu (Anand Srinivasa) writes:
>

>>Even English sportswriters, specifically those at the Guardian
>>and the Independent (Martin Johnson?) were reluctant to
>>praise Kambli's magnificent double century at Bombay. One paper
>>even ran a headline: "Low caste Kambli [refering to his lower
>>caste origins] lays England low." Since when did caste take
>>precedence to cricketing class? While I was always wary of the
>
> Disgusting, indeed.... Are you sure it wasn't the Sun? :-)

The SUN? Again? [Sorry to all the "Hindu-mythology-impaired"].
It does sound like the sportswriters' version of 'sour gripes'.

[...]

> well! After all, here on r.s.c., we're blessed with the
> *relentless* efforts of luminaries like Talluri and Scrooge to
> impart their wisdom to the "lesser mortals" :-) (TM-Porky!).

Relentless is right ;-).

>>On a positive side, the British PM congratualted India on their
>>performance. He did this while he was on a trip to the US.
>
> His hosts must have stared at him, wondering what he was
> talking about :-)

"Indian Cricket(er)s are wonderful!" sez Major -- Headline in the
latest issue of the National Enquirer.

>>Venkatraghavan, apparently, has taken a liking to Kambli. And
>>gave him valuable advice on how to concentrate and build longer
>>innings. No wonder Kambli's big innings came soon thereafter and

I read in a newspaper (don't remember if it was the
Times of India or that of England :) that Gavaskar had given some advice
to Kambli when the latter was 179 or so (basically, at stumps) during the
Bombay Test. Kambli hasn't looked back since. That Gavaskar got into an
argument with a member of the staff [or some other such 'lesser mortal'
<tm> ;)] as to whether he (Gavaskar) had been scolding Kambli or only
passing some tips, was reported in the newspaper as well ...

>>when Venkat was the umpire :-) Is Venkat also one of the umpires
>>in the Delhi test against Zimbabwe? Some food for English scribers
>>pen....:-)

Now I get it. The English scribes are *actually* using poisened pens
to write their articles ;-) ;-).

> :-) Actually, I was a little surprised at the number of games
> that Venkat got during the England tour - he had at least one
> Test (two, I think - 1st and 3rd), a couple of ODIs, and a
> couple of the tour matches as well! Where are all the other
> umpires? Of course, the fact that Venkat impressed everyone

Swaroop Kishen (India's best - imo, of course!) is no more. As to
the rest, maybe they've retired ... (the better ones, I mean)??

[...]

>>The thought of breaking Gavaskar's record was very much on
>>VK's mind. Only, it weighed too heavily on him.
>
> Ah, I bet it isn't easy, breaking records set by the master
> himself :-) Since his 236*, at least 4 double tons have been
> scored for India without going past that figure :-)

Throw in a 199 too (close enough :). VGK might be making sure that
no score between 224 and 236 is left unscored!! After all, that is
the way Bubka is setting his records - a centimetre at a time :-)

>>Also, VK is really India's most valuable player - in ways more
>>than one. Apparently, he wears a heavy gold chain around his
>>neck :-)
>
> .... which is noticeable only when he's on the cricket field -
> at other times, I suppose it's dwarfed by the fluorescent
> clothing and jazzy eyewear :-)

The Agassi syndrome?? ;-)

>>And take this: the Bombay crowd booed, of all people, SRT!!!
>>While Kambli was nearing his century, SRT was believed to have
>>not give more strike to VK. Of course, the elegant VK didn't
>>need much. He was well on the way to his century with boundaries.
>
> Perhaps it's just as well I wasn't there :-) I might have got
> into a teeny weeny bit of an argument with those guys booing
> Sachin :-)

Actually, there is a possibility that SRT was upset at VGK's having
'shielded' the former from the bowlers when he (SRT) had been nearing
his century in Madras. Any more leads on this - newspaper reports ...??

>>Anand Srinivasa email: ana...@tamu.edu
>
> +~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+
> | Neeran M. Karnik | VeeKayFan phir khush hua! :-) |

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
How about a translation, Neeran? :-)

> | Dept. of CompSci.| ------------------------------------------------ |
> | U of Minnesota | T:4 I:5 NO:1 R:545 Av:136.25 200s:2 50s:1 |

Impressive but we still can't afford to go overboard :-(.
SMG had 4 7 2 (or is it '6 1'??) 774 154.80 ... and then took ages to get
to 1000 (relatively).

Ciao.
Porky!

PVR Narasimha Rao

Mar 16, 1993, 2:31:31 AM3/16/93

In article <karnik.732241560@mega>, kar...@cs.umn.edu (Neeran M. Karnik) writes:

|> +~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+
|> | Neeran M. Karnik | VeeKayFan phir khush hua! :-) |
|> | Dept. of CompSci.| ------------------------------------------------ |
|> | U of Minnesota | T:4 I:5 NO:1 R:545 Av:136.25 200s:2 50s:1 |
|> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A very trivial correction/doubt:

Shouldn't his aggregate be 544 (and hence the average be 136)?

I think his scores so far are 16, 18*; 59; 224; 227. Have I got
something wrong?

BTW, Tendulkar's laTEST STATS:

M I NO HST RUNS AVRG 100 / 50 / 0
25 37 3 165 1522 44.7647 5 / 8 / 3

The Shardashram Batting Trio has scored more than 1000 runs for
India in the last 3 test innings at around 125 runs per wicket
(with each of them making 3 consecutive half-centuries)!

PVR

Rohan Koduvayur Kri Chandran

Mar 16, 1993, 3:30:27 AM3/16/93
In article <C3z0w...@rice.edu> p...@rice.edu (PVR Narasimha Rao) writes:

>|> | U of Minnesota | T:4 I:5 NO:1 R:545 Av:136.25 200s:2 50s:1 |
>|> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

>A very trivial correction/doubt:
>
>Shouldn't his aggregate be 544 (and hence the average be 136)?
>
>I think his scores so far are 16, 18*; 59; 224; 227. Have I got
>something wrong?

Well, my stats agree with Neeran on this one... I have Kambli on 545
as well. I have a feeling that I had him as 19* in that second innings
of his... perhaps that's where the differences creep in.

>BTW, Tendulkar's laTEST STATS:
>
> M I NO HST RUNS AVRG 100 / 50 / 0
> 25 37 3 165 1522 44.7647 5 / 8 / 3

Agree completely with these....

Rohan [with an updated .sig now... fully uptodate infact seeing as we
haven't managed to get rid of either Flower so far today... :-(]

Manchester United Football Club * INDIA - We are the Champions.....
_______________________________ * ODI's: India 0 Zimbabwe 0
Leading the way in the nineties * England 0 Sri Lanka 1
1990 F.A.Cup * TEST's: India 0.5 Zimbabwe 0.2
1991 Cup Winners Cup * England 0.2 Sri Lanka 0.4
1992 League Cup & Super Cup * KAMBLI - 545 (136.25/ 2 in 5/1)
1993 Premier League?? * AZHAR - 3553 ( 45.55/12 in 81/3)
1994 Treble?? * KAPIL DEV - 420 / 5069
Rohan Chandran roh...@leland.stanford.EDU

PVR Narasimha Rao

Mar 16, 1993, 2:44:58 AM3/16/93

In article <15MAR199...@zeus.tamu.edu>, ana...@zeus.tamu.edu (Anand Srinivasa) writes:

|> And take this: the Bombay crowd booed, of all people, SRT!!!
|> While Kambli was nearing his century, SRT was believed to have

Probably. But, look at this:

In the Jaipur ODI in which Kambli and SRT scored 100* and 81*
respectively, SRT kept giving strike to VGK whenever he got it,
esp after VGK reached 80s. VGK was getting bogged down probably
due to nervousness. But, SRT didn't mind it. In the penultimate
over of the match, for example, VGK needed _4_ balls to score a
single (he was in late 90s then). But still SRT seemed to be
keen to let his friend finish his maiden ODI century (FYI, SRT
hasn't yet scored one!). If SRT hadn't bothered to give strike
to VGK, he could've got his highest ODI score!

In a test, it hardly matters whether you give strike to the guy
nearing his century or not. One's selfishness (or lack of it)
will be seen in ODIs in the situations like the above, not in
the middle of a test innings .......

|> not give more strike to VK. Of course, the elegant VK didn't
|> need much. He was well on the way to his century with boundaries.

PVR

PVR Narasimha Rao

Mar 16, 1993, 4:03:26 AM3/16/93

In article <1993Mar16.0...@leland.Stanford.EDU>, roh...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Rohan Koduvayur Kri Chandran) writes:

|> >Shouldn't his aggregate be 544 (and hence the average be 136)?

|> >I think his scores so far are 16, 18*; 59; 224; 227. Have I got
|> >something wrong?

|> Well, my stats agree with Neeran on this one... I have Kambli on 545
|> as well. I have a feeling that I had him as 19* in that second innings
|> of his... perhaps that's where the differences creep in.

Well, yes, there was some confusion about the final scores in
that innings as everyone was more occupied with celebrating the
victory. But, the wire reports reproduced by Vijay Srinivasan (v...@duke.cs.duke.edu) at the end of series on rsc gave VGK's
aggregate as 317. That means he made 18* and not 19* and
317+227=544 (assuming that Reuter report was accurate).

PVR

Bala SWAMINATHAN

Mar 19, 1993, 3:12:27 PM3/19/93
In article <karnik.732241560@mega>, kar...@cs.umn.edu (Neeran M. Karnik) writes...

>And take this: the Bombay crowd booed, of all people, SRT!!!

>While Kambli was nearing his century, SRT was believed to have
>not give more strike to VK. Of course, the elegant VK didn't
>need much. He was well on the way to his century with boundaries.

That is, I guess, because Tendu was not scoring many runs either, he
was - as you said - just getting taking the strike and blocking it.
If my memory serves correct, I think he made about 78 in 220 deliveries.

If Tendu bad been scoring at a decent pace I don't think the
crowd would have booed, if at all they have (Of course everyone
wants him to score big!)

S_Bala
//
// Barkley's suns for NBA champs '93
//

Pattabhi Sitaram

Mar 20, 1993, 3:47:56 PM3/20/93
In <1993Mar19....@octel.com> mal...@octel.com (Satyanarayana Mallya) writes:

>In article <15MAR199...@utarlg.uta.edu> b536...@utarlg.uta.edu (C.S. Sudarshana Bhat) writes:
>>In article <karnik.732241560@mega>, kar...@cs.umn.edu (Neeran M. Karnik) writes...
>>>ana...@zeus.tamu.edu (Anand Srinivasa) writes:
>>>

>> I read in a newspaper (don't remember if it was the
>> Times of India or that of England :) that Gavaskar had given some advice
>> to Kambli when the latter was 179 or so (basically, at stumps) during the

> Rumor mill has it that gavaskar deliberately gave kambli wrong
>advice so that kambli will not break his record as highest scorer for
>india. Any comments

> ;^)

> Satya Mallya

did Gavaskar advice him two times? :-)