Manjrekar quote

Neeran M. Karnik

May 10, 1993, 3:53:38 PM5/10/93

From an interview in the Times of India:

Q: "Now that the middle-order looks well established, would you like to
be tried out as an opener"?

A: "I have never said I am only a #3 batsman. Given a chance, I would like
to bat at #3. I have no hang-ups about numbers 1 or 2 or anything."

+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+
| Neeran M. Karnik | #2 fan of Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar on r.s.c. :-> |
| Dept. of CompSci.| "Pele in football, Becker in tennis, Ali in |
| U of Minnesota | boxing. Sachin is in that league." - Tony Cozier |

PVR Narasimha Rao

May 10, 1993, 8:41:02 PM5/10/93

In article <karnik.737063618@unity>, kar...@cs.umn.edu (Neeran M. Karnik) writes:

|> From an interview in the Times of India:
|>
|> Q: "Now that the middle-order looks well established, would you like to
|> be tried out as an opener"?
|>
|> A: "I have never said I am only a #3 batsman. Given a chance, I would like
|> to bat at #3. I have no hang-ups about numbers 1 or 2 or anything."

Aha. This is the guy who said he was a middle order bat and wouldn't open etc in
an interview in the past! Shows how desperate he is! I pity Manjrekar.

Actually, it may be tough for him to play in the _eleven_ even if he is willing
to open! Whom will he replace in the eleven? Atleast for the time being, I can't
see who can make way for SVM. Who can it be?

Sidhu? Nah, not after those nice performances.

Amre? Possible, given the idioticity of our selectors. But Amre definitely
doesn't deserve to be dropped. He has a solid technique, great footwork and a
very solid temperament needed for grafting an innings (unfortunately, SRT and VGK
denied him that opportunity in most recent tests). His execution of shots may not
look elegant to many (and may even look brutal), but some of his shots have a
kind of sweetness, which is so unique. He can make a perfect replacement for
Vengsarkar.

SRT or Azhar? You must be kidding. Kambli? No way. Not _now_!

SVM can make it to the eleven as an opener only if one of the bowlers is dropped
and Prabhakar is sent back to the late order. But then, there's Srinath waiting
there! Still this is a possibility (if India wants to go with just 4 bowlers like
in the past).

Poor Manjrekar! He must wait till someone gets into a lean patch and keep scoring
well in the domestics and tour matches (I think that Manjrekar can make it to the
16) till then.

Manjrekar should've realized on the tour of SA that his failure in SA meant he
would be out of the scene for atleast a couple of series.......

PVR

PVR Narasimha Rao

May 10, 1993, 9:24:45 PM5/10/93

BTW, I forgot to say in my previous post: I have always thought and still think
that Manjrekar will make a good opener, both in tests and in ODIs.

PVR

Pranav Ashar

May 10, 1993, 11:03:01 PM5/10/93
In article <C6u78...@rice.edu>, p...@rice.edu (PVR Narasimha Rao) writes:

|> Manjrekar should've realized on the tour of SA that his failure in SA meant he
|> would be out of the scene for atleast a couple of series.......
|>

|> PVR

An interesting possibility is to play Manjrekar as a keeper/batsman ala
Alec Stewart. That way, the team will have recognized batsmen all the way to
# 8 in the batting order. Now only if Manjrekar would read this post and
hone up on his keeping skills. He can't be worse than More as a keeper, can he??

-Pranav

| Pranav Ashar
| C&C Research Labs, NEC USA
| 4 Independence Way
| Princeton, NJ 08540
tel. (609) 951 2972 fax. (609) 951 2499 e-mail. as...@ccrl.nj.nec.com

sridhar desikan GR

May 11, 1993, 3:47:04 AM5/11/93
In article <1993May11.0...@research.nj.nec.com>, as...@trivial.nj.nec.com (Pranav Ashar) writes:

> |> Manjrekar should've realized on the tour of SA that his failure in SA meant he
> |> would be out of the scene for atleast a couple of series.......
> |>

> |> PVR
>
> An interesting possibility is to play Manjrekar as a keeper/batsman ala
> Alec Stewart. That way, the team will have recognized batsmen all the way to
> # 8 in the batting order. Now only if Manjrekar would read this post and
> hone up on his keeping skills. He can't be worse than More as a keeper, can he??
>
> -Pranav

and he wouldnt be as bad as Manjrekar as a fieldsman either...

-sridhar

PVR Narasimha Rao

May 11, 1993, 9:31:28 PM5/11/93

In article <1993May11....@novell.com>, aan...@novell.com (Anand Antur) writes:
|> In article <karnik.737158864@myria> kar...@cs.umn.edu (Neeran M. Karnik) writes:

|> > How'd the Pakistanis like to trade a couple of their bowlers for a
|> > couple of our batsmen?? :-) Things would work great for both teams
|> > then :-)

|> How about Shastri for Waqar :-)

Man, that's unfair. Shastri for Aaqib is fairer (after all, Shastri had 185 and
110 in Eng and 206 in Aus. Aaqib is not bad either).

Peobably Manjrekar (despite his present lean patch) is better than Shastri for
Waqar. Yeah, how about that: Manjrekar for Waqar, any takers? :)

On a serious level, Indian batting lineup is almost as brittle as Pakistan's
(India's recent successes notwithstanding). However, one should agree that Indian
lineup has more potential than Pakistan's. The point with Indian and Pakistani
batsmen is that they usually don't live upto their promise........

Coming back to the problem of extra batsmen in India, as I had said long back, it
will be a big headache for the Indian selectors to use the Bombay foursome (the
Shardashram trio and Manjrekar - all the 4 are wonderfully talented) _properly_.
It will not be possible without being unfair to someone at sometime and someone
else at some other time. But, they should try to optimize it and make the most of
the talent.......

PVR

Neeran M. Karnik

May 11, 1993, 6:21:04 PM5/11/93
p...@rice.edu (PVR Narasimha Rao) writes:

>Actually, it may be tough for him to play in the _eleven_ even if he is willing
>to open! Whom will he replace in the eleven? Atleast for the time being, I can't
>see who can make way for SVM. Who can it be?

I guess the only possibility at present is dropping Prabhakar down
the order to accomodate Manjrekar, but the selectors have no
pressing reasons to do so! Prabhakar has done adequately (albeit on
home pitches), and Manjrekar has not had any opportunity to stake
his claim (because of that 50 paisa coin that tossed Bombay out of
the Ranjis :-( :-( )

>Amre? Possible, given the idioticity of our selectors. But Amre definitely
>doesn't deserve to be dropped. He has a solid technique, great footwork and a
>very solid temperament needed for grafting an innings (unfortunately, SRT and VGK
>denied him that opportunity in most recent tests). His execution of shots may not
>look elegant to many (and may even look brutal), but some of his shots have a
>kind of sweetness, which is so unique. He can make a perfect replacement for
>Vengsarkar.

You said it - Amre is in fact the quintessential (funny how this
word keeps popping up in *every* post these days :-)) number 3
batsman. Solid technique, temperament and footwork, and the ability
to cut out the flashy stuff when the situation demands. He really
belongs at the #3 spot, almost as much as one S.V.Manjrekar does,
actually :-)

>SVM can make it to the eleven as an opener only if one of the bowlers is dropped
>and Prabhakar is sent back to the late order.

Here too, he will be competing against Shastri for the opener's
slot in Test matches, and Shastri's ability to turn the arm over
may give him the edge. That said, the fact remains that Manjrekar
is much better suited to open the innings than both Prabhakar and
Shastri (or at least, that's MHO).

>Poor Manjrekar! He must wait till someone gets into a lean patch and keep scoring
>well in the domestics and tour matches (I think that Manjrekar can make it to the
>16) till then.

He must surely be taken in the 16 - he has to be the first choice
replacement for *any* of the top six bats in the team, in case of
injury or loss of form. And in fact, as you observed, Amre's place
is far from assured at the moment. A couple of failures, and the
selectors could well drop him for Manjrekar (or someone else?).

How'd the Pakistanis like to trade a couple of their bowlers for a
couple of our batsmen?? :-) Things would work great for both teams
then :-)

>PVR

GUNNA, SANDEEP

May 11, 1993, 7:58:00 PM5/11/93
In article <1993May11.0...@research.nj.nec.com>, as...@trivial.nj.nec.com writes...

>|> Manjrekar should've realized on the tour of SA that his failure in SA meant he
>|> would be out of the scene for atleast a couple of series.......
>|>

>|> PVR
>
>An interesting possibility is to play Manjrekar as a keeper/batsman ala
>Alec Stewart. That way, the team will have recognized batsmen all the way to
># 8 in the batting order. Now only if Manjrekar would read this post and
>hone up on his keeping skills. He can't be worse than More as a keeper, can he??
>
> -Pranav

I guess that would'nt be a good idea. The fact that More isnt a good
keeper doesnt make Manjrekar any more better. It would turn out to be
more beneficial to the team to have a proper keepr than a bits and pieces
cricketer (I dont say M'kar isn't a good bat, but he is certainly *not*
a good_bat). And I dont want to let another batsman score a 333 with a
300 run bonus to boot :)

~Geromino

_____

= Sandeep Gunna | email: 0000...@ucis.vill.edu =
= Dept. of Mechanical Engg. | There is more to life than =
= Villanova University, PA | increasing its speed - M K Gandhi =

Shivanand Bhajekar

May 12, 1993, 12:22:24 AM5/12/93
In article <C6w44...@rice.edu> p...@rice.edu (PVR Narasimha Rao) writes:
>Maan, I am glad you just talked about Manjrekar replacing More, not Kumble
>(Manjrekar used to be a good leggie at high svhool level).

I beg to differ. He was a Tendulkar kind of bowler. Medium pace etc..
And he took a lot of wickets too!

Shivanand

Anand Antur

May 11, 1993, 7:48:19 PM5/11/93
In article <karnik.737158864@myria> kar...@cs.umn.edu (Neeran M. Karnik) writes:
>p...@rice.edu (PVR Narasimha Rao) writes:
>

> How'd the Pakistanis like to trade a couple of their bowlers for a
> couple of our batsmen?? :-) Things would work great for both teams
> then :-)
>
>>PVR

How about Shastri for Waqar :-)

-Anand-

GUNNA, SANDEEP

May 11, 1993, 8:49:00 PM5/11/93
In article <11MAY199...@vill.edu>, 0000...@vill.edu (GUNNA, SANDEEP) writes...
>>An interesting possibility is to play Manjrekar as a keeper/batsman ala
>>Alec Stewart. That way, the team will have recognized batsmen all the way to
>># 8 in the batting order. Now only if Manjrekar would read this post and
>>hone up on his keeping skills. He can't be worse than More as a keeper, can he??
>>
>> -Pranav
>
>I guess that would'nt be a good idea. The fact that More isnt a good
>keeper doesnt make Manjrekar any more better. It would turn out to be
>more beneficial to the team to have a proper keepr than a bits and pieces
>cricketer (I dont say M'kar isn't a good bat, but he is certainly *not*
>a good_bat). And I dont want to let another batsman score a 333 with a
^^^^^^^^
That should read good_keeper :(

even *god* makes mistakes sometimes .... :))))

[.... Note the damn smileys :).....]

PVR Narasimha Rao

May 11, 1993, 9:28:51 PM5/11/93

|> An interesting possibility is to play Manjrekar as a keeper/batsman ala
|> Alec Stewart. That way, the team will have recognized batsmen all the way to
|> # 8 in the batting order. Now only if Manjrekar would read this post and
|> hone up on his keeping skills. He can't be worse than More as a keeper, can he??

Yes, that's a very interesting possibility -- Manjrekar replacing More. Along the
same lines, we might as well replace Prabhakar with Tendulkar (who can bowl slow
medium pace). After all, Tendulkar is a much better bat than Prabhakar! These
acts will enable us to pack the team with more and more good batsmen!!

Maan, I am glad you just talked about Manjrekar replacing More, not Kumble
(Manjrekar used to be a good leggie at high svhool level).

PVR

Neeran M. Karnik

May 12, 1993, 12:47:28 PM5/12/93
shiv...@nyquist.usc.edu (Shivanand Bhajekar) writes:

Me too me too... I mean, I beg to differ too :-) Manjrekar did bowl
leg-spin quite frequently for Bombay in the Ranji games, with a
decent amount of success. When he came into serious contention for
an India cap, he gave up bowling to concentrate on his
batting.....

> Shivanand

skr...@uoft02.utoledo.edu

May 12, 1993, 5:56:55 PM5/12/93

Hey Guys,
Well regarding Manjrekar, just you wait as to how this guy is gonna
come back in style. He is just going through a bad patch & is probaly
(probably - sp mistake) not as lucky as Azar.If you have a look at the
stats of bothe these players in the last 2 series (Aus & SA ) it is
comparable in the test matches, both equally bad.In fact during the
Aus series , Manjrekar semmed to settle down & suddenly lost his
concentration & got out in his 30s.
When the real bowlers charge in on a helpful wicket , the likes of
Sidhu & Kambli will give way to the technically sound Sanjay.
So it is a matter of time before the master will regain his confidence
& play like we know him to - India's No 1 batsman

g919...@helen.nmsu.edu

May 12, 1993, 8:03:19 PM5/12/93
skr...@uoft02.utoledo.edu writes
?>Hey Guys,
?>Well regarding Manjrekar, just you wait as to how this guy is gonna
?>come back in style. He is just going through a bad patch & is probaly
?>(probably - sp mistake) not as lucky as Azar.If you have a look at the
?>stats of bothe these players in the last 2 series (Aus & SA ) it is
?>comparable in the test matches, both equally bad.In fact during the
?>Aus series , Manjrekar semmed to settle down & suddenly lost his
?>concentration & got out in his 30s.
?>When the real bowlers charge in on a helpful wicket , the likes of
?>Sidhu & Kambli will give way to the technically sound Sanjay.
?>So it is a matter of time before the master will regain his confidence
?>& play like we know him to - India's No 1 batsman
==
Agree with you up here; except that I don't believe
1. He will ever open (successfully);
2. He will replace VNK;
I agree with you about Sidhu, however - he seems to be more successful in
India, but has rarely succeeded abroad. On present form, Manjrekar would
probably not replace anyone in the squad, but he is a sure middle order choice
in the Windies. One possible scenario in such a case is Amre opening with
Prabhakar, followed by Kambli, Tendulkar, Azhar & Manjrekar (in that order).
He is as good as, if not > any of India's batsmen - with the exception of
Tendulkar.
--
Jiminy Cricket
. .
| | | ,_//\\ . ///_/ . | | | _//_\
| | |/--/ // /// /.\ | | | \ \\ \
|_|_|____//_________________________________///_/_\_\________|_|_|______\ \\ \_

PVR Narasimha Rao

May 12, 1993, 9:15:12 PM5/12/93

|> Agree with you up here; except that I don't believe
|> 1. He will ever open (successfully);
|> 2. He will replace VNK;

It's not VNK, it's VGK. Hey, I guess this probably supports the
guesses of some guys that Juminy Cricket is an incarnation of
McDuck (he also used to write VNK).

PVR [a big fan of Vinod Ganpat Kambli]

Nitin Bhave

May 13, 1993, 7:22:45 PM5/13/93
PVR Narasimha Rao (p...@rice.edu) wrote:
: PVR [a big fan of Vinod Ganpat Kambli]
^^^^^^
This is from TOI, Bombay.

Ganpat Kambli and Kambli's three brothers were present at a
recent function where Kambli received some award. Unlike Sachin's , Kambli's
family keeps a fairly low profile. So a bunch of reporterd gathered to
interview Mr. Ganpat Kambli. Kambli's father said that one quality his son
has inherited from him is the fearlessness in facing any type of bowling.
He recalled how he'd hit Ramakant ( Desai ) for 4 4's in a row when his side
was reeling at 20/5 against Shivaji Park Gymkhana in a Kanga League fixture.

Sandeep Patil was also present at the function, and told Kambli(Sr) that
he'd taken good care of his boy. I wonder in what way. Both of them play
for CCI though.

-Nitin Bhave