Travis Basevi, the architect of StatsGuru and one of Cricinfo's pioneers, passes away.

Venkat

Oct 21, 2022, 11:49:19 AM10/21/22

John Hall

Oct 21, 2022, 2:01:25 PM10/21/22
In message <16759b8a-e2a9-4cfc...@googlegroups.com>,
Venkat <venkat...@gmail.com> writes
>RIP
>
>https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/travis-basevi-the-architect-of-statsg
>uru-and-one-of-cricinfo-s-pioneers-passes-away-1340918

Sad news. Thanks for letting us know.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,

Moriarty

Oct 21, 2022, 7:03:30 PM10/21/22
On Saturday, October 22, 2022 at 5:01:25 AM UTC+11, John Hall wrote:
> In message <16759b8a-e2a9-4cfc...@googlegroups.com>,
> Venkat <venkat...@gmail.com> writes
> >RIP
> >
> >https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/travis-basevi-the-architect-of-statsg
> >uru-and-one-of-cricinfo-s-pioneers-passes-away-1340918
>
> Sad news. Thanks for letting us know.

Indeed. I met Travis once back in the 90s when Rohan Chandran was in Australia and a few rscers got together for a few beers. IIRC Diane van Dulken and Josh Saunders were there too. Travis was a nice guy.

It would have been just before the 99 World Cup because Travis was heading to India to do cricinfo commentary. Why India, when the competition was in England? Because all games were on TV live in India and he could do the commentary easily from there.

His commentary of the Aus-WI game, where Aus went slow to boost the WI NRR, was absolutely hilarious. He called every dot ball like it was the most exciting thing ever.

RIP

-Moriarty

Joshua Saunders

Nov 12, 2022, 8:14:09 PM11/12/22
Thanks for this. Read the Cricinfo and the Guardian obits.

Yes, Travis and I hung out all the time for a few years in the mid-90s. We were at the SCG for the ODI where Grant Flower carried his bat against England, and Zimbabwe somehow won, and we were sitting together directly behind the bowler when Warne bowled Basit Ali between his legs off the last ball of the day. And yes, we caught up with rsc / irc / CricInfo notables when they came to town. I thought I was a cricket nut till I met Travis...

We worked together for a while too, outside of cricket, and he was clever, thoughtful and very easygoing. He was the first person to tell me that arguing with those I didn't agree with on rsc was possibly not the most productive use of my time! He's mildly famous, for StatsGuru, but I knew him as a friend, and a great guy.

Anyway, we took different paths, and I hadn't seen him since he went to the UK. Just a few emails. He was in Sydney once for a visit but I was too busy with family or work or something and couldn't catch up. I wasn't aware he was sick, so this came as a shock and a sadness. 47 is too young.

RIP Travis.

Josh

John Hall

Dec 9, 2022, 2:59:18 PM12/9/22
In message <2ecaba07-2d25-4f02...@googlegroups.com>,
Joshua Saunders <joshuasa...@gmail.com> writes
>RIP Travis.
>
>Josh

RIP indeed. But it's good to know that you at least are still alive.
When was your last post to rsc? It seems like it must have been ten or
more years ago.

[Just catching up, as I've been away on a long holiday.]