Jerry Quarry: Former Druggie & Drunk???

The Sanity Cruzer

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
The following is from an article written by Thomas Gerbasi and posted to
The Cyber Boxing Zone ( http://cyberboxingzone.com/ ):

(begin excerpt)
Does Brenda Quarry feel bitter towards boxing? "Bitter is a strong word.
I feel sad about the end results of a boxer's life. I feel that we have
no right to ban anything. God put everything here so we could choose
what road to take."

And of her brother, she has this to say "A misconception is that my
brother was a big druggie and drunk. He did enjoy his beer, but I never
saw him use drugs. That is not to say that he did not do it, it was the
70's, but he had a lot more fights than he had parties. My brother is
one of the nice guys." (end exerpt)

The reason I've posted this is the quote from Brenda Quarry (Jerry's
sister) about the "misconception" regarding Jerry's having been a "big
druggie and drunk". I know I too have heard that rumor and I seem to
recall DCI attributing a substantial portion of Jerry Quarry's current
condition to drugs and alcohol. Does anybody have any first-hand
knowledge on this issue? If not first-hand, second hand? Please be as
specific as possible if you would.

The Sanity Cruzer

The Sanity Cruzer

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
TICKYUL wrote:

> Jerry quarry was a face first fighter who fought too long and got hit too
> much.He had been boxing since he was a kid and went past his prime.That is
> going to give you a badly damaged brain.

Other fighters have taken as much or more punishment as did Quarry, and
they have not suffered the extent of his damage. BTW, you didn't
respond to my question.

TSC

The Sanity Cruzer

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
primoc...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> I don't 'blame' boxing for what has happened to Quarry, but it does seem
> pretty clear that if you get beat-up as much as Jerry did, there will be
> consequences. Drugs & booze? Nah.

I just got an e-mail from Heath Reed, who told me of a Quarry article in
the Jan. 1992 Ring Magazine. On page 63 it reads, "One friend of
Quarry's, who asked to remain anonomous, said, "Everytime he goes out,
people say here's the great Jerry Quarry, and everyone wants to buy him
a beer." Jeff Ryan, The Ring's managing editor, recalled seeing Quarry
while covering a fight at Caesars Palace. "It was eight or nine
o'clock", Ryan said, "In the hotel gift shop, Jerry Quarry, a glass of
beer in hand, was staggering around like one of those stereotypical
drunks in a cartoon."

Quarry in 1991/1992 was evidently in not nearly the condition he is now
in. Following Foreman's comeback, Jerry decided to comeback too, but
was derailed when he and his manager were beaten by the promoter. That
was either June 1990 or 1991. Around the same time, his brother Mike
was planning a comeback. Sad, sad, sad.

The Sanity Cruzer

p'd & cc'd

TICKYUL

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98

primoc...@my-dejanews.com

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
Clipped

Does anybody have any first-hand
> knowledge on this issue? If not first-hand, second hand? Please be as
> specific as possible if you would.

I can't be specific at all, I've no first hand info to offer. I will say that
Jerry Quarry took as much punishment in a ring as any man I've ever seen. Now
some men seem to be able to do this and come out OK. Some take a little and
get their brains fried. Research is suggesting that there is a genetic
inclination towards the affliction that Quarry now suffers, which is
exacerbated by the types of blows typical in boxing.

I don't 'blame' boxing for what has happened to Quarry, but it does seem
pretty clear that if you get beat-up as much as Jerry did, there will be
consequences. Drugs & booze? Nah.

Primo

Ryan Wissow

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
Like Primo said, there IS a genetic inclination towards the affliction
that Jerry Quartey now suffers from. His brother also has the same
genetic inclination, and a similar affliction.

Gregory Gliedman

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98

The Sanity Cruzer wrote:

> Quarry in 1991/1992 was evidently in not nearly the condition he is now
> in.

OTOH, Quarry was diagnosed with degenerative brain damage as early as '83.

> Following Foreman's comeback, Jerry decided to comeback too, but
> was derailed when he and his manager were beaten by the promoter. That
> was either June 1990 or 1991.

Quarry did try a comeback. No commission would license him, so he fought in
Colorado, a commissionless state that at the time was under no federal mandate
to have any safety proceudres at all. He lost two teeth in the six round
fight and was unable to remember it at all the next day.

GG

Gregory Gliedman

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98

Ryan Wissow wrote:

Unless newer studies have be done of which I am unaware (I have the 7/9/97
JAMA study in front of me), there MAY be a genetic predisposition to Chronic
traumatic brain injury (CTBI) aka puglistica dementia. The study itself
advises that the "results should be interpreted with caution."

Moreover, there is no evidence that I know of that indicates that either of
the Quarry brothers is genetically predisposed to CTBI (specifically the
presence of apolipoprotein E (APOE) (element of) 4, which has also been
shown to be a susceptibility gene for Alzheimer's disease).

As boxing fans we don't do ourselves any favors blaming all the injuries our
sport causes on genetic predispositions or the wild lifestyles of some of
its participants. All the evidence suggests that pro boxing *does* carry an
unduly high risk of brain injury. IMO that risk is controllable with proper
medical supervision, and some body --be it the sport itself or failing that
the federal government-- needs to step up and take responsibility for those
changes. But that is never going to happen as long as we have our heads in
the sand.

GG

The Sanity Cruzer

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98

How right you are. He did fight on October 30, 1992. He fought Ron
Cramner in Wisconsin (according to the Jerry Quarry Foundation
website). I wonder where his loving brother James was at that time?
That's only six years ago!! Let's hope six years from now Terry Norris
isn't the subject of a foundation started by Orlin.

TSC

PM...@mailexcite.com

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98

Judging Jerry Quarry as a drug addict or drunk is stupid.
His problems are due to his career, not drinking beer!!
I don't see how anyone can put down Jerry, he was one of
the most couragous fighters to ever get into the ring.
If someone does not respect that they won't respect anything.

Those who care please visit the web site www.jerryquarry.com

pmad1

d...@cheetah.net

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
On Mon, 28 Sep 1998 15:57:45 -0700, The Sanity Cruzer
<snty...@pacbell.net> wrote:

>The following is from an article written by Thomas Gerbasi and posted to
>The Cyber Boxing Zone ( http://cyberboxingzone.com/ ):
>
>(begin excerpt)
>Does Brenda Quarry feel bitter towards boxing? "Bitter is a strong word.
>I feel sad about the end results of a boxer's life. I feel that we have
>no right to ban anything. God put everything here so we could choose
>what road to take."
>
>And of her brother, she has this to say "A misconception is that my
>brother was a big druggie and drunk. He did enjoy his beer, but I never
>saw him use drugs. That is not to say that he did not do it, it was the
>70's, but he had a lot more fights than he had parties. My brother is
>one of the nice guys." (end exerpt)
>
>The reason I've posted this is the quote from Brenda Quarry (Jerry's
>sister) about the "misconception" regarding Jerry's having been a "big
>druggie and drunk". I know I too have heard that rumor and I seem to
>recall DCI attributing a substantial portion of Jerry Quarry's current

>condition to drugs and alcohol. Does anybody have any first-hand

>knowledge on this issue? If not first-hand, second hand? Please be as
>specific as possible if you would.
>

> The Sanity Cruzer

If your using the drug word as in
"pot," cocaine or heroin, no! But
"uppers" to gain in-ring endurance,
a substantial amount of observation
supports it.

But when Brenda states beer, she fails
to recognize, Jerry did quite a bit of
hard liquor. That too was observed.

This is not a revelation of any note.
Some fighters tried to gain an advantage
to fight longer, harder and with greater
intensity. Uppers provided that. And as
with many high strung, high performance
fighters, Jerry "came down" with his
alcohol. Unfortunately, it has taken a
greater toll on him that others.

This is not to diminish his place in
ring history. It is generally recognized
that he was one "tough SOB."

DCI

Melanie Ley

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
On Fri, 23 Oct 1998 04:23:10 GMT, PM...@MAILEXCITE.com wrote:

> Judging Jerry Quarry as a drug addict or drunk is stupid.
> His problems are due to his career, not drinking beer!!

What's your point? Along with his career (in the ring, I
assume you mean), Quarry also took drugs and drank. The three don't
mix very well.

> I don't see how anyone can put down Jerry,

Sorry to hear anyone was. Quarry, along with Mando Ramos and
others, paid a high price for partying and being irresponsible during
their glory days. Doesn't make them bad fellows - just a bit on the
stupid side.

Mel

-----------------------
Amateur Boxing News at:
www.amateur-boxing.com
-----------------------

To reply to email, delete "NOSPAM" from the reply address.

d...@cheetah.net

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
On Fri, 23 Oct 1998 13:45:44 GMT, box...@home.NOSPAMcom (Melanie Ley)
wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Oct 1998 04:23:10 GMT, PM...@MAILEXCITE.com wrote:
>

>> Judging Jerry Quarry as a drug addict or drunk is stupid.
>> His problems are due to his career, not drinking beer!!
>
> What's your point? Along with his career (in the ring, I
>assume you mean), Quarry also took drugs and drank. The three don't
>mix very well.
>
>> I don't see how anyone can put down Jerry,
>
> Sorry to hear anyone was. Quarry, along with Mando Ramos and
>others, paid a high price for partying and being irresponsible during
>their glory days. Doesn't make them bad fellows - just a bit on the
>stupid side.
>

>Mel

Mel,

You are touching upon a point that
is so difficult for some readers to
understand. Pointing out to some of
the folks what dissipation of fighters
does to thief well being seems to fall on
deaf ears and also seems to be rejected
as if the messenger is somehow at fault.
I can not tell you how many times I've
known a good prospect that "went south"
because they didn't take care of themselves.
Few people are putting any fighters down
when bad habits, demons and dissipation are
openly addressed. Rather, it is the concern
for the post-fight years being lived in a
desperation of a "mind fog" and physical
limitations.

DCI

PM...@mailexcite.com

Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98
Thought you knew something about boxing, Jerry was not stupid
by a longshot but people who make comments like that are!
Jerry's not the first boxer to end up in bad shape. I will
always respect him and the memorey of him. Know it all boxing
writers make me want to puke!

Pmad1

gilchri...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2015, 1:34:24 AM4/22/15
Well jerry quarry is MY grandpa and here's what I have to say...
IF YOU have nothing good to say then DONT say ANYTHING at ALL!

50b...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2015, 12:29:35 AM4/25/15
On Monday, September 28, 1998 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, The Sanity Cruzer wrote:
> The following is from an article written by Thomas Gerbasi and posted to
> The Cyber Boxing Zone ( http://cyberboxingzone.com/ ):
>
> (begin excerpt)
> Does Brenda Quarry feel bitter towards boxing? "Bitter is a strong word.
> I feel sad about the end results of a boxer's life. I feel that we have
> no right to ban anything. God put everything here so we could choose
> what road to take."
>
> And of her brother, she has this to say "A misconception is that my
> brother was a big druggie and drunk. He did enjoy his beer, but I never
> saw him use drugs. That is not to say that he did not do it, it was the
> 70's, but he had a lot more fights than he had parties. My brother is
> one of the nice guys." (end exerpt)
>
> The reason I've posted this is the quote from Brenda Quarry (Jerry's
> sister) about the "misconception" regarding Jerry's having been a "big
> druggie and drunk". I know I too have heard that rumor and I seem to
> recall DCI attributing a substantial portion of Jerry Quarry's current
> condition to drugs and alcohol. Does anybody have any first-hand
> knowledge on this issue? If not first-hand, second hand? Please be as
> specific as possible if you would.
>
> The Sanity Cruzer

Sanity, long time not reading your thought provoking comments and observations.

As to the story of Jerry Quarry's career, when the the Quarry brothers lived in Bellflower, California, Jerry was known as one tough SOB. He started boxing he was a kid and was willing to fight anyone who stepped into the ring with him. And he would immediately move to control the opponent with that small step shuffle and tight windmill motion with his arms, always on the move.

His younger brother Mike had entered the fight game, as did his brothers.

It often that I would go to the gym and watch the fighters go through their gym-work. Jerry usually drew the most admirers as he worked the speed bad, the heavy bag, skipped robe or spar

Once at a World Hall of Fame dinner, I chanced to speak with Jerry. He had fought his last bout in Colorado against a no-name cruiserweight. His affect was blunted and his speech slurred. He had not been in the ring for some time. Yet he posed himself as being very humble and gentle and having "Irons in the Fire." One look was enough to see he was finished. He was living out of his car and other folks would would see that he had some bucks in his pocket. Efforts by the faithful were being made to change his environment. It was very saddening moment for this granite-jawed
Irish lad.

Over the years I kept hearing from the boxing crowed about his drinking and use "bennies."

So for what it's worth, I saw him start deteriorating in the early 1970's and more noticeably after Ken North polished him off in 1975.

Sanity, this is the best recollections I have of the Quarry career. To me his most memorable fight was against Joey Orbillo ne Christmas of 1966. Today, Joey is as sharp as a tack, physically and mentally, and is union exec for the Longshoreman's Union.

Bring me up to date on your travels around the Globe.

Donn

SkippyPB

Apr 25, 2015, 11:09:42 AM4/25/15
Wow! A Sanity posting. A blast from the past.

Is it possible given the amount of punishment Jerry Quarry took in the
ring that his downfall, as it were, out of the ring is/was due to a
form of dementia rather than drugs and/or alchohol? And, why aren't
Jerry's brothers looking out for him?

Regards,
--

"What would men be without women? Scarce, sir ... mighty scarce."
-- Mark Twain

Remove nospam to email me.

Steve

titlef...@gmail.com

Jun 13, 2018, 1:03:48 PM6/13/18
On Monday, September 28, 1998 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, The Sanity Cruzer wrote:
> The following is from an article written by Thomas Gerbasi and posted to
> The Cyber Boxing Zone ( http://cyberboxingzone.com/ ):
>
> (begin excerpt)
> Does Brenda Quarry feel bitter towards boxing? "Bitter is a strong word.
> I feel sad about the end results of a boxer's life. I feel that we have
> no right to ban anything. God put everything here so we could choose
> what road to take."
>
> And of her brother, she has this to say "A misconception is that my
> brother was a big druggie and drunk. He did enjoy his beer, but I never
> saw him use drugs. That is not to say that he did not do it, it was the
> 70's, but he had a lot more fights than he had parties. My brother is
> one of the nice guys." (end exerpt)
>
> The reason I've posted this is the quote from Brenda Quarry (Jerry's
> sister) about the "misconception" regarding Jerry's having been a "big
> druggie and drunk". I know I too have heard that rumor and I seem to
> recall DCI attributing a substantial portion of Jerry Quarry's current
> condition to drugs and alcohol. Does anybody have any first-hand
> knowledge on this issue? If not first-hand, second hand? Please be as
> specific as possible if you would.
>
> let me tell all of you ,first of allBrenda has past , god bless her soul...now hear me and hear me good, as far as drugs and alcahaul, my dad drank beer, and when he needed to watch his weight it was wine, he liked chatanue depop, parden my spelling...He never drank hard booze ever and any ass hole who says different i will call a liar to his face...as far as drugs, he went to rehab for cocain in 70's...and my dad didnt take a beating all the time , you guys are brain dead..he had a couple wars, anda couple tough nights, but they were to the best of the best and at the end of his career, I Was there, and I know everything about him thing that no one knows, the book hard luck was buble gum, some day ill tell the world aboutt the real story,the aluminati, mob, blacmail, Reagan plot, I personaly had a gun to my head ...So stop all 5the crap....my dad was more then a fighter he was a superstar at the highest level at one time and he dealt with a couple issues, that people dont have a clue,, not even my family didnt know...let him have his memory,
The Sanity Cruzer