Former Heavyweight Champ And Rapist Trevor Berbick Murdered In Jamaica

Greg Carr

Oct 28, 2006, 6:59:27 PM10/28/06
Boxer Berbick's death a homicide: police
2 hours, 51 minutes ago

Former Canadian heavyweight champion Trevor Berbick was found dead
Saturday morning in his hometown of Kingston, Jamaica, with chop wounds
to his head, police said.

Const. Beverly Howell said Berbick's body was discovered around 6:30
a.m. in a church courtyard in Portland parish.

Police found chop wounds to his head and are investigating his death as
a homicide, said Insp. Victor Henry.

The 52-year-old boxer represented Jamaica at the 1976 Montreal Olympics
before settling in the Quebec city for a number of years.

He built up his reputation by beating the legendary Muhammad Ali in a
10-round unanimous decision in 1981. The bout was Ali's last in a
career that spanned three decades.

Berbick went on to capture the WBC heavyweight title with a decisive
win over American Pinklon Thomas. His title reign, however, was brief.

Berbick faced Mike Tyson eight months later in Las Vegas, where the
Jamaican native was disposed of in two rounds.

Tyson took control of the fight from the start and levelled Berbick in
the second with a vicious right hand, sending the champion to the
ground. Berbick attempted to get up twice, but stumbled to the canvas
both times.

The 20-year-old Tyson became the youngest heavyweight champion in
boxing history.

Berbick finished with a professional record of 50-11-1, including 33
KOs, but ran into legal problems following the Tyson fight.

Sentenced for raping babysitter

Berbick was convicted in 1991 of misdemeanour assault for attacking his
former business manager, who testified in court that the fighter held a
gun to her head and accused her of stealing money from him.

Things only got worse the next year as Berbick, who was living in
Florida, was sentenced to four years in prison for raping a family
babysitter.

The former Canadian resident was also convicted of second-degree grand
theft in 1992 for forging his ex-wife's signature to get a mortgage on
a home.

Berbick served a combined 15 months for both convictions and was
ordered deported back to Jamaica. However, Berbick fled to Montreal
before his impending removal.

He then headed west to B.C. to attempt a boxing comeback with a warrant
for his arrest back in Florida still in effect. Berbick eventually
returned to Florida, where he was finally deported to Jamaica in 2002.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/28102006/3/sports-boxer-berbick-s-death-homicide-police.html&printer=1
I remember seeing the fights of Berbick but I didn't know that he was a
convicted rapist just like his old foe Mike Tyson. He defeated Shane
Sutcliffe to retain the CDN heavyweight title on 24 Cheshvan 5762
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2000/05/27/boxing000527.html.

M. Wellington

Oct 28, 2006, 9:17:31 PM10/28/06

One less P.O.S. in the world. Satan is waiting for him in hell now!

On 28 Oct 2006 15:59:27 -0700, "Greg Carr" <greg...@yahoo.ca>
wrote:

Message has been deleted

MEET US AT THE END OF THE WORLD

Oct 29, 2006, 1:36:13 AM10/29/06

LOL ;)

On Oct 28, 9:32 pm, "explorer" <N...@ubidnis.com> wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes"M. Wellington" <wellington...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:45440105....@news.easynews.com...

> > One less P.O.S. in the world. Satan is waiting for him in hell now!
>

> > On 28 Oct 2006 15:59:27 -0700, "Greg Carr" <gregpc...@yahoo.ca>

> >>http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/28102006/3/sports-boxer-berbick-s-death-ho...
> >>-------------------------------------------------------------------------­----------------------------------------------------------------------

> >>I remember seeing the fights of Berbick but I didn't know that he was a
> >>convicted rapist just like his old foe Mike Tyson. He defeated Shane
> >>Sutcliffe to retain the CDN heavyweight title on 24 Cheshvan 5762

> >>http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2000/05/27/boxing000527.html.They say he had chop wounds to the head and it was being investigated as a
> homicide....like people inflict chop wounds upon themselves for fun....- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Greg Carr

Oct 29, 2006, 9:02:41 PM10/29/06
Jamaican police make arrest in slaying of ex-boxing champ Trevor
Berbick
Sun Oct 29, 3:02 PM

By Howard Campbell

KINGSTON, Jamaica (AP) - Police have arrested a 20-year-old man in
connection with the killing of former heavyweight boxing champion
Trevor Berbick, who was bludgeoned and left to die in a church
courtyard next to his family's home in a rural Jamaican hamlet.

Several residents of the remote farming community in Norwich district
identified the suspect as a man who was involved in a land dispute with
the troubled boxing champion, but police spokesman Les Green on Sunday
refused to name the arrested man before his arraignment, which has not
yet been scheduled.

"We have some very good information from witnesses and we have
recovered a weapon we believe was used in the assault," said Green, a
Scottish detective who was appointed as the violence-wracked nation's
assistant police commissioner earlier this year.

Green would not say what kind of weapon was recovered or where it was
found. Police have not disclosed a possible motive for the homicide or
if others were believed involved in the slaying of Berbick, who is best
remembered as boxing legend Muhammad Ali's final opponent in 1981.

Investigators arrested the suspect several hours after Berbick's body
was discovered around 6:30 a.m. Saturday in his hometown parish of
Portland, roughly 130 kilometres east of the capital, Kingston.
Berbick, who was believed to be 52, was pronounced dead by a local
doctor in the church courtyard next to the three-bedroom house where he
was raised.

Det. Sgt. Kenneth Bailey of the Port Antonio police station in Portland
told the Jamaica Gleaner newspaper that Berbick was last seen alive
early Saturday at a nearby bar.

"The body had four wounds to the back of the head, as he was probably
attacked from behind," Bailey told the newspaper. "The impression and
damage done to the skull have indicated that a machete may have been
used by his attacker or attackers to murder him."

After beating Ali in 1981 in an unanimous decision in the Bahamas,
Berbick went on to win the WBC heavyweight title fours years later in a
decision over Pinklon Thomas. His reign was short, however, as a
20-year-old Mike Tyson knocked Berbick out in the second round of their
bout on Nov. 22, 1986, to become the youngest heavyweight champion in
history.

The Jamaican national fought from 1976 to 2000, finishing with a record
of 50-11 with one draw and 33 knockouts. He also fought for his
Caribbean homeland at the 1976 Olympics in Montreal.

Following his retirement from the ring, Berbick was beset by legal
problems and had U.S. convictions that included sexual assault, grand
theft and burglary.

In 1991, Berbick was convicted of misdemeanour assault for attacking
his former business manager, who testified the boxer put a gun to her

head and accused her of stealing money from him.

The following year, he was convicted of raping a family baby sitter in
Florida and was sentenced to four years in prison. He also was
convicted in 1992 of second-degree grand theft for forging his

ex-wife's signature to get a mortgage on a home.

After serving 15 months in prison, Berbick was deported from the United
States. He went to Canada, where he lived for a time following the 1976
Olympics. He eventually moved back to the U.S., but was deported a
second time.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/061029/sports/berbick_killing_arrest&printer=1

Loose Cannon

Nov 14, 2021, 11:48:37 PM11/14/21
On 28 Oct 2006 15:59:27 -0700, "Greg Carr" <greg...@yahoo.ca>
wrote:
You have often fantasized about being raped by Berbick. Even though
he's dead, you can still dream.