New Ray Robinson Bio

D. Flynn

Aug 20, 2009, 6:55:11 PM8/20/09
Thomas Hauser says it's the definitive one.

http://www.maxboxing.com/Hauser/Hauser080409.asp

Walter Mitty

Aug 20, 2009, 8:00:26 PM8/20/09
"D. Flynn" <gu...@msn.com> writes:

> Thomas Hauser says it's the definitive one.
>
> http://www.maxboxing.com/Hauser/Hauser080409.asp

This got me to youtub'ing and then Wiki'ing.

Anyone got any more info or anecdotal stories about this?

,----
| The following year, after four non-title bouts, Robinson defended his
| title for the first time by knocking out Jimmy Doyle, in the eighth
| round.[8] Before that fight, Robinson had a dream that he was going to
| accidentally kill Doyle in the ring.[19] As a result, he decided to pull
| out of the fight. However, a priest and a minister convinced him to go
| ahead with the bout. His foe, however, died from the injuries he
| sustained.[19] Robinson said that the impact of Doyle's death was "very
| trying."
`----

(from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_Ray_Robinson )

Amazing if true.

--
Pamcakes : "Can't you sleep?"
Gaylord Focker: "Err no, I was running over the answers I gave to your father when he put me through a polygraph test".

D. Flynn

Aug 21, 2009, 3:54:13 PM8/21/09

http://www.broowaha.com/article.php?id=3179

The premonition story appears to be true.

Unlike other fighters who killed their opponents (Max Baer, Ray
Mancini) Robinson doesn't appear to have pulled his punches or to have
lost his killer instinct afterward.

Turban Joe Balasootoe

Aug 24, 2009, 9:01:04 PM8/24/09
> lost his killer instinct afterward.- Hide quoted text -

Some argue that the Sugarman got big gifts vs:

Kid Gavilan, July 11, 1949
Carl "Bobo" Olson, March 13, 1952
Carmen Basilio, March 25, 1958.

However, it is also true that he was robbed in
both fights with Paulie Pender and the last two
with Mr. Fulmer.

D. Flynn

Aug 25, 2009, 12:42:00 PM8/25/09
> with Mr. Fulmer.- Hide quoted text -

The biggest gift SRR ever received was from the ref who gave him a
long count against Artie Levine.

Some claim he was down for 21 seconds though that could be an
exaggeration.

Turban Joe Balasootoe

Aug 25, 2009, 5:23:30 PM8/25/09
> exaggeration.- Hide quoted text -

Had not been aware of the Artie Levine injustice----it seems
SRR was gonn fight Tommy Bell come hell or high wasser.
Artie put him in hell but apparently would have had
to kill him to win.

It was just 'Boxing being Boxing'. Ouch. That's an ouch-me.